Syracuse 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxbuck

Re: Syracuse 2023

Post by Laxbuck »

jrn19 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:27 pm I'd be surprised if they're worse on offense than they were a year ago - 18th in adj. off efficiency - even with losing two primo dodgers in Dordevic and Curry. I don't know if they'll be better bc of those losses, but they'll score goals. Hiltz is a stud and give them a true QB, plus ability to dodge. We'll see how Spallina develops but I'd be surprised if he isn't at minimum a scorer early on. Kirst can score inside. Simmons will draw attention of defenses and is a good shooter and passer. Question will be next two spots and midfield dodging overall, but they're going to have an offense that will be tournament caliber.

The defense though...well it can't be any worse. They were the worst B1G/ACC/Ivy defense last year by a mile and the only Big East one worse was St. John's. I think a talent injection they're getting will outweigh the lack of experience cause they've needed one for awhile. But I still have a lot of questions about Petro as a d coordinator, he's really only had 1 good defense going back to his Hopkins run in the last 7-8 years. And really struggled with the shot clock.

Need a FOGO for sure.
Hiltz was lights out at Canada U21 session a couple weeks ago
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Oh BTW Will Mark is a really good goalie. His freshman and Sophomore yrs he had games making 19 - 20 saves. LIU didnt have a good D until this yr when they added Chris Cambell and Coach Troy Reh. He had one bad game this yr vs Hobart due to Cambell and Ryan Blume being suspended that game. He had young inexperienced LSMs and Murphy never played with a pole before so he had to stay at DM. LIU lost a high scoring game like 22 - 19. He makes some amazing saves and his first two yrs he bailed them out of a lot of games making crazy saves. I hope he goes to Cuse too. Both of them. I grew up rooting for Cuse in the late 80's and 90's so I always want to see them do well. Both of those guys could help their defense this yr.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

DoubleD wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:38 pm Oh BTW Will Mark is a really good goalie. His freshman and Sophomore yrs he had games making 19 - 20 saves. LIU didnt have a good D until this yr when they added Chris Cambell and Coach Troy Reh. He had one bad game this yr vs Hobart due to Cambell and Ryan Blume being suspended that game.

Game Recap: Men's Lacrosse | 4/27/2021 3:20:00 PM

Mark Sets New Saves Record in
Men’s Lacrosse Battle With Bryant

BROOKVILLE, N.Y. - Sophomore goalkeeper Will Mark set a new program record with 30 saves Tuesday in the LIU men's lacrosse regular season finale, but it was not enough to hold off Bryant, as the Bulldogs fired off 78 shots en route to a 20-17 win over the Sharks.

Mark, who is second in the nation in saves per game, has reset his own program record
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Yup that was some game. 78 shots is ridiculous LIU was up like 6 - 2 early 1st Q to. He broke the school record for saves the game before and then broke that record the next I game. He would blow us away making crazy saves. Poor kid was getting peppered with shots but kept his team in the game. Could have easily been a 30 -17 game. The kid is really good. He made some huge saves in the 2nd half of the NEC tournament this yr. LIU was down 8 - 3 if I remember at the half against St Joes and he came out 2nd half making ridiculous saves and LIU came back to make it 11 - 10 with under a minute left in game. LIU won the face off but Ryan Blume got tripped up and lost the ball. St Joes got it and ran out the clock. St Joes was very talented this yr as you guys know they played great against Yale in the tournament. Between Will Mark and the D they held most teams to 10 or or fewer a game. The Hobart game messed up their PPG due to losing 2 key defenders both All Conference and giving up 22 goals. But held Stonybrook to 9 who hung up 14 on Rutgers, held Drexel to 9, Bryant to 8, St Joes to 13 the first game but they scored with an empty net with 15 seconds left so really 12, then 11 the tournament game and St Joes avg was like 15 PPG. They put up 16 on Yale. Chris Cambell is underrated like Murphy. He's a tough kid and very good. Those two and Will Mark in net was solid. Shame their all leaving. Cuse needs help on D tho so adding those two would 100 % help and be upgrades.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

DoubleD wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:55 pm Yup that was some game. 78 shots is ridiculous LIU was up like 6 - 2 early 1st Q to. He broke the school record for saves the game before and then broke that record the next I game. He would blow us away making crazy saves. Poor kid was getting peppered with shots but kept his team in the game. Could have easily been a 30 -17 game. The kid is really good. He made some huge saves in the 2nd half of the NEC tournament this yr. LIU was down 8 - 3 if I remember at the half against St Joes and he came out 2nd half making ridiculous saves and LIU came back to make it 11 - 10 with under a minute left in game. LIU won the face off but Ryan Blume got tripped up and lost the ball. St Joes got it and ran out the clock. St Joes was very talented this yr as you guys know they played great against Yale in the tournament. Between Will Mark and the D they held most teams to 10 or or fewer a game. The Hobart game messed up their PPG due to losing 2 key defenders both All Conference and giving up 22 goals. But held Stonybrook to 9 who hung up 14 on Rutgers, held Drexel to 9, Bryant to 8, St Joes to 13 the first game but they scored with an empty net with 15 seconds left so really 12, then 11 the tournament game and St Joes avg was like 15 PPG. They put up 16 on Yale. Chris Cambell is underrated like Murphy. He's a tough kid and very good. Those two and Will Mark in net was solid. Shame their all leaving. Cuse needs help on D tho so adding those two would 100 % help and be upgrades.
Thanks for the insight on Mark, he sounds like an impressive player. I'm rooting for him to make it to Syracuse as well. The Orange will need a goalie who is comfortable seeing a lot of shots, and not getting rattled by it.

Any insight in the FOGO from LIU, Justin Joseph, who entered the portal? Not to beat a dead horse but SU really, really needs at least one FOGO.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Murphy just committed to Cuse to. U guys are gonna love him. I think he can start there and be a top D middie in the ACC. He's been starting and the top D middie at LIU since his freshman yr. This yr he would have been a 3 time captain and he improved every yr so with his work ethic I see him improving again this yr. He is a solid pickup and will help out ur D mids. Joseph was the most improved player on the team this yr. The kid battles. He held his own vs All American Zach Cole. He's not a top talent Fogo but he battles man. If he improves again maybe he can win 50%. Hrs another good kid. All 3 of these kids are good hard working kids I have to say. Their the reason why LIU was able to compete this yr. To me Goalie, Fogo and SSDM is so important. If ur weak there u will struggle. Gotta have a good goalie, Fogo it's all about possessions we all know and DM every offense is set up to create matches with a shorty. Murphy frustrated coaches because he's tough to beat. He can get beat all the great ones do I'm not saying that but 8 out of 10 he will win and lock u Down. Strip u a few too. He has the footwork and athletic ability to match up with anyone plus he's physical. Also he is athletic enough to play offense especially transitions. Wolf was a kill the clock then shoot kind of OC so he wanted him to bring it up and dump it off so they can kill clock but he scored 38 goals his senior Yr in Hs. Was rookie of the yr on Long Island his sophomore yr. Also was a 1000 yd rusher at RB on the football team. Kid is an athlete. I know him pretty well because I worked out in the gym with him many times. He's a good kid so I got to know him. I'm rooting for him and hope u guys get Will Mark too. Maybe now that Murphy has committed to Cuse he will talk Mark into joining him. I'm gonna give him a call and get on him about it. If their not gonna play at LIU I rather em play at Cuse then.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Good news for u. Just got off phone with Murphy. Their both committed to Cuse today. Will Mark is coming to. Congrats u got two very good players to help ur defense out. Will is a two time Defensive player of the yr and honorable mention All American for a reason. He's legit good. Don't forget Adler from Duke came from same conference. Murphy should have been All Conference over Lacey in my opinion. He was the best defender hands down in the NEC. Lacey is gong to Maryland and if Murphy would have entered portal sooner he might have been so worked out. Any good defensive coach sees his footwork and defensive skills would jump on him. Very unselfish like I said to he was a great O middie but he knows how good of a defender he is so for the team he played DM and dumped it off on clears like coach asked of him. Growing up a Cuse fan I'm really excited both of them are going there. As u said about not getting flustered from seeing so many shots that kid is used to it. His first two yrs he had no help on defense. Only Murphy at DM and Blume was pretty good but that's it. He had D 2 players left over playing Defense. The poor kid had rockets coming at him all game every game. Guys used to be wide open in front of the net we used to say how is this possible yet he hung in there and gave his team a chance to win every game. Then finally this yr with the addition of Cambell and coach Reh plus Murphy hit another level to I mean I really can only remember him getting beat twice all yr and I'm not lying. I'm sure I'm off some but all i remember. No one is pushing him around he's strong as an ox that kid. I been working out a long long time and he's right there with me when we used to lift. So again congrats looks like u got two of LIU best players. Lacalandra was the other who went to Ohio State. LIU really had talent. I'll give wolf that he can recruit talent.
Last edited by DoubleD on Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

DoubleD wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:10 am
Good news for u. Just got off phone with Murphy.
Their both committed to Cuse today. Will Mark is coming to. Congrats u got two very good players to help ur defense out. Will is a two time Defensive player of the yr and honorable mention All American for a reason. He's legit good. Don't forget Adler from Duke came from same conference.
Those are big pick ups.
Will Mark played at Monte Vista CA prior to doing a PG year back
east. He obviously really picked up his game since he left CA
and it looks like now, will be playing for two of the great players
to ever play the game, a real step up for a Danville kid.
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

Powellfan22 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:18 pm Good summaries of where the team is at. That's good to hear that the team is targeting the goalie from LIU, he seems to have put up good numbers over the years. A big step up to the ACC but he seems like a player worth a look. I would be anxious to start a freshman goalie in front of next years group of long poles.

The defense was really not good last year. A fresh start with new players might be for the best. They weren't very good the previous year under a different coaching staff either. Petro will have his work cut out for himself with a young group, if Riley Figuriras and Billy Dwan both capture starting spots. I am not sure I see any upperclassmen who could reasonably challenge them. Maybe Nick Fraterrigo who was benched early last season for Caccamo? The communication needs to be much better, it has been an ongoing issue for years now.

I wonder if Kempney might see time at SSDM, at least to start? He looks to be a very good athlete.

Offense losses their two best players in Curry and Dordevic, but looking at the roster the new pieces might fit better together. Hiltz will be surrounded by lots of good shooters and many of the new players seem like they can move the ball. Interested to see how Spallina is worked is, as I think this Hiltz should be the first option next year. They don't have a lot of premier dodgers on the team, so they will have to pass the ball much better than they did last year.
For me, possessions are crucial for next year's team. Without a FOGO, without speed and gb ability on the wings, SU cannot expect to get the ball after goals with any consistency. Coaches have to develop approaches to riding and unsettled situations that compensate for lack of FO proficiency. One suggestion I have is frequent use of ten man rides which must be ingrained from the first day on campus to the start of spring training. A good 10 man requires at least 3 or 4 of the offense to run like deer and fight like wolverines. Don't see any of the top attacks with such speed and determination. Spallina was not a good rider in hs. Hiltz, Thomson, etc. were not riders, although once in a while Hiltz would come up big. So the speed and determination must come from mids. Who?

Suppose we get lucky and find an above average goalie, not great but 50%. Let's forget the settled situations which have been terrible for some time and decide to push the ball at every possession with quick outlets as the norm. Carter and Aviles are very good athletes, Figueiras is a ball hawk and fine athlete. He can handle the ball. Get it out to one of these guys and get upfield. Turn defense into a cluster f... instead of a slow death. Double and triple the ball. Sure, lots of goals given away but more possessions too. SU will have elite scorers next year. With a high speed high turnover game, they can score a ton, but they have to have the ball. I am probably whistling dixie here, but I long for the old game where the ball was on the ground, speedy d's ran all over the field, passes were intercepted repeatedly, sort like Brown a few years ago. UVA tries now, but offensive precision has become the ideal. The heck with that.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Finlay Thomson, his last three games for Mimico,
ONTARIO JUNIOR LACROSSE LEAGUE - OJLL 2022
DATE GAME RESULT G A PTS PPG SHG PIM HT
Jun 30, 2022 St. Catharines Athletics vs Mimico Mountaineers 9 - 18 W 5 8 13 4 0 2 1
Jun 29, 2022 Mimico Mountaineers vs Brampton Excelsiors 18 - 8 W 7 4 11 1 1 0 2
Jun 26, 2022 Mimico Mountaineers vs Six Nations Arrows 1 2 - 13 L 4 5 9 4 0 4 1
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

DoubleD wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:10 am Murphy should have been All Conference over Lacey in my opinion. He was the best defender hands down in the NEC. Lacey is gong to Maryland and if Murphy would have entered portal sooner he might have been so worked out.
I mean congrats on the scoops and the commitments to your beloved Syracuse, but you seriously think Donovan's commitment to Maryland garnered him extra all-conference consideration? Maybe Murphy clearly is better than Lacey as you think, but that's a good old fanboy conspiracy.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

No I meant Murphy would have went to Maryland nothing to do with All Conference that was chosen before Lacey transferred I'm sure. Lacey is a very good player so not taking anything away from him. Just think Murphy is the better defender and for a SSDM that is number 1. Lacey's stats are slightly better but Murphy missed a little time with an injury and still to me being a lockdown defender comes first for a SSDM. Lacey could be a better lacrosse player but Murphy is the better defender. Murphy could play offense to just wasn't used in that role at LIU.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Oh and I'm glad he's going to Cuse. Cuse fans will love him and he has gotten better every yr so who knows how good he will be next yr.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

DoubleD wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:58 pm No I meant Murphy would have went to Maryland nothing to do with All Conference that was chosen before Lacey transferred I'm sure. Lacey is a very good player so not taking anything away from him. Just think Murphy is the better defender and for a SSDM that is number 1. Lacey's stats are slightly better but Murphy missed a little time with an injury and still to me being a lockdown defender comes first for a SSDM. Lacey could be a better lacrosse player but Murphy is the better defender. Murphy could play offense to just wasn't used in that role at LIU.
Sorry, misunderstood. Good luck to Murphy and Cuse. College lacrosse is certainly more fun when Cuse is good.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”