Villanova 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Villanova 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ohmilax34 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:09 am
Matnum PI wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:57 am Will anyone else be on the field when Campbell and Daly take turns going to the net?
Maybe Kerry Kittles
I was going to suggest Brian Westbrook and Howie Long...
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Ed Pickney would have made a great goaltender.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

I just hope they can breakthrough with their first ever conference tournament title soon.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

They have a schedule that could get them an NCAA
invite, but there is little margin for error.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Even with the track, would you say Nova's stadium is a pretty good venue for lax?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

That is a heck of a schedule for Villanova once again. Looks like Navy replaces Fairfield. Team has a lot of great athletes returning. This is challenging schedule that will be helpful as they attempt to finally get over the hump, that is the Big East. They lose three of their top 4 scorers (Basile, Keating and Baskin), who were all over 50 points last year. But they return one of the more underrated players in D1 lacrosse in Matt Campbell 45g 22a.

We shall see.
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:25 pm I just hope they can breakthrough with their first ever conference tournament title soon.
Ditto. Mike Corrado does an incredible job, especially with one hand tied behind his back.(Only Big East time that is not fully funded).
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Overlooked, once again, is that Villanova made the move past
the Pios last season in reaching the Big East finals.

Personally I considered this a major milestone since for the prior
several years the Big East had been Denver and Georgetown,
1 and 2.
If they can hold their position, and it looks like they have yet
another real solid class this year, then that gives Villanova two
ways into the NCAAs in the coming years, upset in the Big East
finals plus hold serve or better on their continuing tough OOC
schedule.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Henpecked wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:29 pm That is a heck of a schedule for Villanova once again. Looks like Navy replaces Fairfield. Team has a lot of great athletes returning. This is challenging schedule that will be helpful as they attempt to finally get over the hump, that is the Big East. They lose three of their top 4 scorers (Basile, Keating and Baskin), who were all over 50 points last year. But they return one of the more underrated players in D1 lacrosse in Matt Campbell 45g 22a.

We shall see.
With all due respect Henpecked, I'd hardly call Matt Campbell underrated. He has been a multiple AA including first team.

https://villanova.com/news/2022/5/10/me ... icans.aspx
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Henpecked wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:35 am The biggest problem Villanova had last year was losing Owen Prybylski and Keegan Khan to the transfer portal when both defected to Maryland. Had those two players stayed, I am pretty sure Villanova would have gotten into the NCAA tourney and potentially ended its streak of never winning a tourney game. This team had lots of talent at the top but not a lot of depth.

Corrado doesn't seem to have a problem bringing in talented players from the best prep schools around. It's just a matter of time before they break through IMO.
The FOGO who IMHO is damn good attended a PUBLIC school.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

wahoomurf wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:04 am
Henpecked wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:35 am The biggest problem Villanova had last year was losing Owen Prybylski and Keegan Khan to the transfer portal when both defected to Maryland. Had those two players stayed, I am pretty sure Villanova would have gotten into the NCAA tourney and potentially ended its streak of never winning a tourney game. This team had lots of talent at the top but not a lot of depth.

Corrado doesn't seem to have a problem bringing in talented players from the best prep schools around. It's just a matter of time before they break through IMO.
Wahoomurf, You are from Long Island. You know that Garden City is basically a prep school. :lol:
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Henpecked wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:18 am

Wahoomurf, You are from Long Island. You know that Garden City is basically a prep school. :lol:
HP. You could probably throw Cold Spring Harbor and Manhasset into the "public private school" category.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

:D ;)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:44 pm

HP. You could probably throw Cold Spring Harbor and Manhasset into the "public private school" category.
I heard Huntington is where the real elites reside!
See Martin, Malcolm
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

And, as far as Corrado‘s recruiting — which has been very good in
recent years, the top guy in this year’s class is out of SE PAs William Penn Charter, among the top 5 SE PA scorers this year,

I like also the incoming defenseman from Deerfield,

and, they got yet another kid coming in from Delbarton - a
consistently good pipeline for Villanova.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

I will say what I have said many times:

With the potential Villanova Lacrosse has, it is a crying shame that they aren't a fully-funded program!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I’ll assume this is accurate on funding unless told otherwise,

https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=387333#p387333
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Watched swarm game sat evening and my son and I now have TJ Comizio as our favorite player (Lyle is too easy and I follow my sons favorite and his prior one, MIke Poulin, & just retired). Dude was “outphysicaling” a bunch of far larger guys all night-unfortunately a L to the Nighthawks.
See Martin, Malcolm
chosen1lax

Post by chosen1lax »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:37 pm Going into every season, until it happens, I will ask the following:

Will this(2023 in this case) be the year Villanova takes either of the next two steps:

1. They win their first Big East Tournament title.
2. They appear in the postseason Quarterfinals for the first time.

Without a doubt, their recruiting class is one of the most impressive in program history.
I love the optimism in this group and I consistently root for NOVA to break through. But with that being said this coaching staff has proven 3 things in life are certain: Death, Taxes and NOVA being 3rd in the Big East.

I think the staff consistently gets a lot out of their top end talent, but has trouble developing secondary and tertiary contributors (and 40ish on a roster is enough to develop it)

I disagree with the recruiting aspect. Only 1 player in the incoming top 100 freshman rankings. That is unacceptable for a program desperate to break through. Nova should be landing at least 1 UA AA each year. See below the historic rankings of the Cats incoming recruiting classes. Note that IL has gotten lazy with their publications and stopped releasing top 20 classes in recent years
HS Class of 2013 - 17 (1 UAAA)
HS Class of 2014 - 6 (2 UAAA)
HS class of 2015 - 20 (1 UAAA)
HS Class of 2016 - N/A
HS Class of 2017 - 19 (1 UAAA)
HS Class of 2018 - 17
HS Class of 2019 - N/A (One player ranked in top 100)
HS Class of 2020 - N/A (One player ranked in top 100)
HS Class of 2021 - N/A (One player ranked in top 100)
HS Class of 2022 - N/A (one player ranked in top 100)

To wrap up, to answer your questions:
1. This is not the team that will win the big east tournament
2. They will not make the NCAA tourney

Losing the 5th year transfers from last year will hurt, Campbell can only do so much out there. Not getting anyone to transfer in and help them out puts them at a massive disadvantage vs gtown AKA transfer U

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”