Re: Rutgers 2023

Post by Njlaxx11 »

2023 roster is posted.

Post by 1766 »

Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Nice recruiting pick up for Rutgers, Nate Austin-Johnstone out of Thayer Academy/Laxachusetts - a stocky lefty who can play attack or midfield. He's coached by Ben Rubeor so you know he'll show up on campus with high lax IQ, and he's a talented RB for the football team as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsH7TsiLvUo

Post by 1766 »

Solid pick up. He was very high on the RU staff's board. He's an attackman at the next level.

Post by 1766 »

Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

4 listed commits so far for 2024 -

-- Nate Austin-Johnstone 2024 A Thayer Academy --
-- Chris Cabral 2024 D Thayer Academy --
-- Owen Lenox 2024 A Lake Highland Preparatory School --
-- Charlie McCullough 2024 G Boston College High School
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:14 am 4 listed commits so far for 2024 -

I'm honestly surprised no NJ kids yet?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

PulpExposure wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:24 am

Curious why that even with their recent success Rutgers hasn't gotten any of the top kids from in-state? Here's where they are headed instead:

Graham Stevens - Pingry - Harvard
Andrew Croddick - Rumson Fair Haven - Uncommitted
Luke Jamin - Rumson Fair Haven - Virginia
Isaac Cruz - St. Joe's Regional - Navy
Tyler Eye - Lawrenceville - Hopkins
Connor Gately - Lawrenceville - Yale
Mason Vance - Lawrenceville - Michigan
Jimmy Manley - Lawrenceville - Army
Kevin Morrow - Lawrenceville - Princeton
Mikey Rooney - Lawrenceville - BU
Timmy Piacenti - Lawrenceville - Cornell
Patrick Grimley - Ocean City - Harvard
JP Lagunowich - Chatham - Virginia
Cody Lam - Westfield - Princeton
Ryan Trafford - Delbarton - Navy
Michael Marshall - Westfield - Cornell
Simon Miklaszewski - Montclair - BU

You'd think some of these kids would have been of interest to Brecht. Some excellent players in that list.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Seems like a pretty clear trend given their chosen destinations… they wanted to go to better academic institutions than what is offered in-state.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Is this his kid or otherwise relation ----->
Division I tournament, 25th anniversary All-time team
David Morrow Princeton 1993
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Rutgers is an excellent school. That’s not debatable

On the surface it’s too bad some of those kids go elsewhere…

With that said, most of those kids on that list are going IVY or to other very high level academic institutions. And most are also great programs with either current success or historical success…with the exception of Michigan. Couple that with some kids wanting to get away from home, I think that gives you a high level view on kids choosing out of state.

Rutgers is a very solid program and has a lot to offer academically…not to mention Brecht is viewed as a good coach that over the course of the last 6-7 years has put a very competitive product on the field…obviously the last two years they have been excellent. (2 quarters and 1 championship weekend trip)

See what the future holds…as a fan, I hope the program continues to be a top 10/15 type program that can make the tourney every few years and make some noise…it’s hard to make the tourney and even harder to win once you are there…
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:11 am Rutgers is an excellent school. That’s not debatable

On the surface it’s too bad some of those kids go elsewhere…

With that said, most of those kids on that list are going IVY or to other very high level academic institutions. And most are also great programs with either current success or historical success…with the exception of Michigan. Couple that with some kids wanting to get away from home, I think that gives you a high level view on kids choosing out of state.

Rutgers is a very solid program and has a lot to offer academically…not to mention Brecht is viewed as a good coach that over the course of the last 6-7 years has put a very competitive product on the field…obviously the last two years they have been excellent. (2 quarters and 1 championship weekend trip)

See what the future holds…as a fan, I hope the program continues to be a top 10/15 type program that can make the tourney every few years and make some noise…it’s hard to make the tourney and even harder to win once you are there…
It's very surprising. I mean Penn State keeps highly ranked in-state kids on a regular basis. I don't see PSU and Rutgers all that differently from an academic or lacrosse standpoint (and in fact, I think Rutgers is recently much better than PSU in lacrosse). The fact Rutgers couldn't keep any of those kids listed is actually kind of sad.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

in fairness to those listed, all the lawrenceville kids are from out of state. they goto a boarding school - while i'm sure they're good players, most NJ lacrosse fans don't really even consider lawrenceville a NJ school - they aren't a part of the NJSIAA and don't participate in any state sponsored championship tournaments.

but that's neither here nor there. i don't think brecht focuses on getting NJ talent to stay at Rutgers. they haven't had much impact players from NJ recruited out of high school - the last one i can think of is Knobloch, Russo - but they've had good success bringing kids back as transfers. Jeff George, Kirst bros, Kim bros, Ryan Decker, etc. Kurdyla is a solid player from Bridgewater NJ that he has as a freshman this year. His younger brother is a solid player coming in next year.

i would like to see more of an emphasis on NJ recruiting but it doesn't seem to be how brecht operates.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I’ve got a long long list of SE PA players that
Penn State whiffed on going back to forever,

they whiffed on Michael Sowers twice.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:30 pm I’ve got a long long list of SE PA players that
Penn State whiffed on going back to forever,

they whiffed on Michael Sowers twice.
Most state schools will lose out on in-state kids. Maryland does on a routine basis. I'm not saying Rutgers should get all NJ kids. That's impractical.

But let's start at retaining one high profile NJ kid for the state's flagship university?

And NJLaxx you're right Lawrenceville is a weird one. Lots of out of state kids play there...but lots of NJ kids do too.
lorin

Post by lorin »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:47 am

Curious why that even with their recent success Rutgers hasn't gotten any of the top kids from in-state? Here's where they are headed instead:

You'd think some of these kids would have been of interest to Brecht. Some excellent players in that list.
I think the game plan is let them get good coaching for three years, then try go get them to transfer in senior year.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:47 am

I think you are just messing with the Rutgers crowd. Every kid on that list is headed to a top academic school, most are very elite.....What's your point?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

blue angels wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:24 pm I think you are just messing with the Rutgers crowd. Every kid on that list is headed to a top academic school, most are very elite.....What's your point?
As PulpExposure mentioned Penn State regularly gets some of the top kids from Malvern, Haverford, ANC, Garnet Valley, Episcopal, etc. to stay in-state despite a similar reputation as a good — but far from elite — academic school. BTW a ton of those NJ high schools are public — Rumson, Westfield, St. Joe's, Chatham, Ocean City, etc. They're not all always Ivy/Ivy-adjacent factories. Rutgers has also had several players from private schools like Pingry, Delbarton, Don Bosco, Seton Hall Prep, etc. in recent years, just not the best ones, with the obvious exception of Connor Kirst who transferred in. The last one I can remember was Jules Heningburg in 2015, so clearly it's possible.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

The Chatham kid is the son of a Rutgers Lacrosse alum.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:47 pm
blue angels wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:24 pm I think you are just messing with the Rutgers crowd. Every kid on that list is headed to a top academic school, most are very elite.....What's your point?
As PulpExposure mentioned Penn State regularly gets some of the top kids from Malvern, Haverford, ANC, Garnet Valley, Episcopal, etc. to stay in-state despite a similar reputation as a good — but far from elite — academic school. BTW a ton of those NJ high schools are public — Rumson, Westfield, St. Joe's, Chatham, Ocean City, etc. They're not all always Ivy/Ivy-adjacent factories. Rutgers has also had several players from private schools like Pingry, Delbarton, Don Bosco, Seton Hall Prep, etc. in recent years, just not the best ones, with the obvious exception of Connor Kirst who transferred in. The last one I can remember was Jules Heningburg in 2015, so clearly it's possible.
Looking at the list, 10 of the 17 are going to an Ivy or a Service Academy. When those opportunities arise, not many kids pass on those opportunities.

Then you have Hop in the top 10 in rankings (top 100 colleges and universities) along with a UVA (elite academically and on the field) and then Michigan (ranked 25th academically, but not a very good lacrosse program at this point)

You can ask questions as to why a handful of these kids are not going to the State University of NJ, but again, as Blue Angels points out and as I noted earlier in the thread, these kids are going to elite schools…that’s it…Ivy’s are hard to pass up

The other thing I’d add is I consider Rutgers not a good education, but a very good education. Nope, they’re not top ten or Ivy level…but they rank 55…and in my book, that’s very good. PSU is ranked 77 this year and I also consider PSU a very good school. You have to also look at the campus…IMO, PSU is probably viewed as having a better college town environment over a Rutgers. RU is a bit gritty and maybe kids are looking for more of a college town feel like you get at UVA or Happy Valley. Again, just looking at a number of factors.

Could Brecht do a little better job in keeping some kids home…yup. But I’d argue he’s proved to be a very good fit for Rutgers and has helped pull the program back up to respectability (top 10-20) in what was a big rebuild when he took over.

Maybe the last two years (2 trips to the quarters and one resulting in the first final four in RU history) will create some recruiting momentum in upcoming cycles, or maybe it won’t.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”