Georgetown 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Hoya

Georgetown 2023

Post by Hoya »

Lots of reasons to be excited about 2023. Georgetown is returning good talent, bringing in good recruits, and has been active in the transfer portal. Hopefully looking at another top 5 year. Hoya Saxa!
rolldodge

Re: Georgetown 2023

Post by rolldodge »

Reposting this from the 2022 thread:

Midfield will be Bundy, McDermott on first line most likely. Hess will probably split time again between offense and defense. I had expected him to run more offense next year, but that will depend on where the new guys play.

The only other returning player that got significant time on offensive midfield was Cade MacLeod, who will be a senior. Will need a distributor at midfield to replace Trippi. Perhaps Kelly, Minicus, or Solomon take on that role. Because of the similarities between Bundy and Dordevic, perhaps Dordevic will stay at attack and play the right wing.

On attack, the only returning starter is Haley who will play QB at attack.

There will be 5 open offensive spots at attack and midfield (assuming a full second midfield line). Dordevic, Minicus, Solomon, and Kelly will be competing with the underclassman (none of which has seen significant time) for these spots.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

rolldodge wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:38 pm Reposting this from the 2022 thread:

Midfield will be Bundy, McDermott on first line most likely. Hess will probably split time again between offense and defense. I had expected him to run more offense next year, but that will depend on where the new guys play.

The only other returning player that got significant time on offensive midfield was Cade MacLeod, who will be a senior. Will need a distributor at midfield to replace Trippi. Perhaps Kelly, Minicus, or Solomon take on that role. Because of the similarities between Bundy and Dordevic, perhaps Dordevic will stay at attack and play the right wing.

There will be 5 open offensive spots at attack and midfield (assuming a full second midfield line). Dordevic, Minicus, Solomon, and Kelly will be competing with the underclassman (none of which has seen significant time) for these spots.
I think that there is enough talent to fill the attack for next year. I think the key is developing depth in the midfield, both offensively and defensively. The incoming GU class is deep in middies, and two have made the UA game, so the talent should be there. Hopefully the current underclassmen and incoming middies can be developed to provide this depth. The FF teams this year all had 2 offensive midfields, and MD showed the advantage of going 4 deep at D middie.

On D, if Tominovich steps in on close D, GU will need a second LSM along with Halpern. Or, if Tominovich plays at LSM, a new close D is needed. It will be interesting to see who the new LSM/close D replacements will be.
Hoyafan123

Post by Hoyafan123 »

From an outside looking in, here is probably my best guess at a starting lineup as of right now. I had Minicus at midfield because he can fill more of a distribution role for the midfield (like Trippi) and I had kelly at attack for more of a lefty finishing presence. Wouldn't be surprised if we saw Minicus move to attack if we need more attack dodging:

Attack: Dordevic (Righty wing), Haley (X), Jacob Kelly (left)

1st O Midfield: Bundy, McDermott, Minicus

2nd O Midfield: Soloman, Hess, MacLeod/NEED DEPTH

Rope Unit: Reilly (F/O), Halpert (LSM), Godine/Leary

2nd Defensive midfield: Hess, NEED DEPTH

Close Defense: Bowen, Donaldson, Tominovich

Goalie: Hincks/Scharfenberger

I hope i get a bunch of these starting roles wrong because of incoming freshmen/returners make the jump and earn PT but this is my best guess
HGK

Post by HGK »

I think Hess is such a great athlete that he was able to be additive with the dual role. My personal belief is, a kid who could do what he did vs Cuse in NCAAS in 2021 has to play offense. Period. Having him play both sides of the ball clearly hurt his offense this year. We have two legit ssdms now and have to believe Warne can find an existing ssdm or another pure athlete to take that third spot in rotation and let Hess try to be a force on offense rather than a rotational middie.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:38 pm

I think Hess is such a great athlete that he was able to be additive with the dual role. My personal belief is, a kid who could do what he did vs Cuse in NCAAS in 2021 has to play offense. Period. Having him play both sides of the ball clearly hurt his offense this year. We have two legit ssdms now and have to believe Warne can find an existing ssdm or another pure athlete to take that third spot in rotation and let Hess try to be a force on offense rather than a rotational middie.
I agree. Will be interesting who steps into new roles as freshman / sophomores. We did not get to see a lot of underclassmen on the field last year, so as someone on the outside, I'm curious to see some new faces.

We've seen Jack Howe and Chris Glynn get some time at D mid. Crawford Bundy, just on his size alone (6-1, 195) could be a candidate.

Jordan Wray (at 6'1" / 185) seems like a candidate to get some time immediately as a freshman -- maybe on offense though.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

I think the other freshman middie from Boston, Patrick Crogan will have a chance to play early as well.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Love to see Glynn get some run at SSDM. Great athlete and can be effective in transition.
Creasedive

Post by Creasedive »

12 poles on the roster with incoming freshman. No one in that group can play LSM?
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

Breaking:
@NavyMLAXwill hire @HoyasMLacrosse offensive coordinator Mike Phipps to replace Brad Ross as OC, sources tell
@Inside_Lacrosse. Taking the G’town offense to new levels during his tenure, the Annapolis native helped take Navy to the NCAA quarters in 2016. Story coming.

Did not see this coming.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Sources say Gtown is an early adaptor in the NIL of college lacrosse. Supposedly $60k spent paying two players for one year of service plus their scholarship money. NIL is a sunami hitting college sports.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Good for the players in question
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Maybe they should have figured out a way to use some of the NIL money to pay up to keep Phipps to stay
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:37 am Maybe they should have figured out a way to use some of the NIL money to pay up to keep Phipps to stay
I heard they did. It just was more about his families connection to the Naval Academy and to Annapolis.
HGK

Post by HGK »

:?: Ed
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:13 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:37 am Maybe they should have figured out a way to use some of the NIL money to pay up to keep Phipps to stay
I heard they did. It just was more about his families connection to the Naval Academy and to Annapolis.
That is the case 100%. Phipps loves Georgetown but the Navy OC leaving put the wheels in motion for this move. Given where he lives, prior time at Navy and money this was likely if not inevitable. On positive side for Georgetown, The AD support to try and keep him was very strong and says a lot about how much support this program has in that regard. The OC at Georgetown is a tremendous opportunity and Although this stings, I have no doubt Warne will have a ton of great options to fill the role.
HGK

Post by HGK »

:?: Ed
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:13 am
That is the case 100%. Phipps loves Georgetown but the Navy OC leaving put the wheels in motion for this move. Given where he lives, prior time at Navy and money this was likely if not inevitable. On positive side for Georgetown, The AD support to try and keep him was very strong and says a lot about how much support this program has in that regard. The OC at Georgetown is a tremendous opportunity and Although this stings, I have no doubt Warne will have a ton of great options to fill the role.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Man, that is disappointing. I get the location/family pull, but seems odd for a lateral move (downward if he is not Associate Head Coach at Navy). I would have thought Phipps would not leave until a head coaching spot pulled him away. I guess that commute from Annapolis to Washington is pretty terrible ;)

Going to be very difficult to replace, and I think you have to honestly downgrade expectations for next year until we see how things shake out. Having such big names as transfers was already going to be a potentially destabilizing factor.
HGK

Post by HGK »

rolldodge wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:30 am Man, that is disappointing. I get the location/family pull, but seems odd for a lateral move (downward if he is not Associate Head Coach at Navy). I would have thought Phipps would not leave until a head coaching spot pulled him away. I guess that commute from Annapolis to Washington is pretty terrible ;)

Going to be very difficult to replace, and I think you have to honestly downgrade expectations for next year until we see how things shake out. Having such big names as transfers was already going to be a potentially destabilizing factor.
I think “downgrading” expectations is a bit extreme. It’s a big loss but there might be a great addition to the staff, as well as the fact the team is loaded. Let’s hope they get back to the 2018 underdog mindset and play like the hunter instead of the hunted.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

rolldodge wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:30 am Man, that is disappointing. I get the location/family pull, but seems odd for a lateral move (downward if he is not Associate Head Coach at Navy). I would have thought Phipps would not leave until a head coaching spot pulled him away. I guess that commute from Annapolis to Washington is pretty terrible ;)

This feels like a move for someone who does not want to be a HC. He's taking the job, presumably, for better work-life balance because, as you say, this isn't even a lateral move. Amplo isn't going anywhere any time soon, either, so this isn't some sort of succession plan. If things really go south for Navy and Amplo is let go, it's not like they'll promote from within at that point. If you're presumably taking the job for better balance, you're not going to turn around 2 or 3 years from now and take a HC job that entails moving. Unless the UMBC job comes open, which doesn't appear likely for several years.

So this just seems like a guy who is happy to be a career OC and wants to be 5 minutes from his office. Gotta respect that if it's the case. He knows who he is and what he wants.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”