Georgetown 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Comeonman

Re: Georgetown 2023

Post by Comeonman »

Good point. No freshman started last year for the first time in the Warne era. Sharfenberger did fill in as goalie for three games while McElroy was injured though. However, he now has to battle Hincks from Dartmouth for that starting role in 23. I don’t see any other rising sophomores on the field much next year though. In terms of rising juniors, Haley, Hess, Leary and Halpert are locks, and Tominovich, who as a freshman replaced Smith when injured in 21, should start at close D. Outside of them, probably not too many others. I see,

Attack - Haley, Dordovic (Syracuse) and either Solomon or Kelly (both UNC).

Mid - Bundy, McDermott, Hess with help from Minicus (Colgate) and the other of the UNC guys above.

Close D - Bowen, Donaldson, Tominovich

LSM - Halpert

SSDM - Godine, Leary

Faceoff - Reilly

Goal - Sharfenberger/Hincks

Of course, an incoming freshman stud or too can find some time along the way as well.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Comeonman wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:15 pm Good point. No freshman started last year for the first time in the Warne era. Sharfenberger did fill in as goalie for three games while McElroy was injured though. However, he now has to battle Hincks from Dartmouth for that starting role in 23. I don’t see any other rising sophomores on the field much next year though. In terms of rising juniors, Haley, Hess, Leary and Halpert are locks, and Tominovich, who as a freshman replaced Smith when injured in 21, should start at close D. Outside of them, probably not too many others. I see,

Mid - Bundy, McDermott, Hess with help from Minicus (Colgate) and the other of the UNC guys above.

LSM - Halpert

SSDM - Godine, Leary

Faceoff - Reilly

Of course, an incoming freshman stud or too can find some time along the way as well.
On offense, all bets are off the table with a new coordinator coming in.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

@HoyasMLacrosse will hire former @SpiderMLAX assistant John Hogan as offensive coordinator, sources tell @Inside_Lacrosse. The Annapolis native spent three years at Richmond — in 2022, the Spiders had DI's No. 13 scoring offense (14.0 GPG).
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:26 pm No clue if these guys will be interested but if I'm Warne I'm targeting:

- John Hogan, younger but up and coming, coordinated some solid offenses at Richmond, also has ties to southern MD and prob knows the DC scene well
Huh guess I'm good for something after all
HGK

Post by HGK »

Great early call. Very good hire for the Hoyas!
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

John Hogan seems like a good pick just from reviewing his bio and past accomplishments. Always felt there was an affinity between Gtown and Cornell in terms of ethos. And the results have been good at Richmond.

Welcome to the team! Looking forward to the next chapter of Gtown lacrosse.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Good hire, will have strong ties to the Annapolis Hawks / DC area
HGK

Post by HGK »

Comeonman wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:15 pm Good point. No freshman started last year for the first time in the Warne era. Sharfenberger did fill in as goalie for three games while McElroy was injured though. However, he now has to battle Hincks from Dartmouth for that starting role in 23. I don’t see any other rising sophomores on the field much next year though. In terms of rising juniors, Haley, Hess, Leary and Halpert are locks, and Tominovich, who as a freshman replaced Smith when injured in 21, should start at close D. Outside of them, probably not too many others. I see,

LSM - Halpert

SSDM - Godine, Leary

Faceoff - Reilly

I’d agree that Dordevic will “play” Attack but this kid’s ability to create from both behind and from up top is unreal.i can envision a lot of kelly, solomon, minicus and Dordevic playing both above and below GLE with Haley clearly at X and Bundy, Mcdermott and a couple of the incoming freshman who are true middies playing up top. How Hess is incorporated will be interesting. I think he is too good an athlete not to play offense as well as ssdm but not sure that is the plan. Either way Hogan has a lot of great options as he develops his offensive philosophy.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

Good to recently see Thompson land back home at Michigan and Mazzone at Hopkins for their grad school seasons. Both will certainly help those teams in 23. While it’s a shame they and Watson (Jacksonville) aren’t coming back to the Hoyas for another year, the team does return two four-year starters in Reilly and McDermott (a 22 co-captain). With five grad transfers coming in as well, there appears to be only so much financial room for more than two true grad returners. It is very much like this past season where only Smith and McElroy returned for a grad year, while there were four grad transfers added. Hopefully, this recipe works as well in 23 as it did in 22, only with longer lasting results in the NCAA tournament.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HGK wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:31 pm

LSM - Halpert

SSDM - Godine, Leary

Faceoff - Reilly

I’d agree that Dordevic will “play” Attack but this kid’s ability to create from both behind and from up top is unreal.i can envision a lot of kelly, solomon, minicus and Dordevic playing both above and below GLE with Haley clearly at X and Bundy, Mcdermott and a couple of the incoming freshman who are true middies playing up top. How Hess is incorporated will be interesting. I think he is too good an athlete not to play offense as well as ssdm but not sure that is the plan. Either way Hogan has a lot of great options as he develops his offensive philosophy.
While you’re probably correct in the speculation I could see a midfield of Dordevic, Bundy and McDermott being one of a unique kind. Have the two UNC guys and Haley at attack and have Minicus be that “7th man” type.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

I have heard Minicus may be too good to leave out of the top 6
random observer

Post by random observer »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:27 am I have heard Minicus may be too good to leave out of the top 6
Agreed. No chance either of the UNC guys starts over him. The Hoyas need initiators and the only guy on the team who does that better is Dordevic.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

3 incoming offensive guys that I think can steal time are Jordan Wray, Patrick Crogan and my (not-so) sleeper pick is Lucas Dudemaine. Just watched Lucas' highlights from a couple summers ago, looks very athletic. Can only imagine he's gotten better.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Class of ‘23 flip Peter Grandolfo from Bucknell to the Hoyas
HGK

Post by HGK »

That’s a great get for the Hoyas. Very athletic and has a cannon shot.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

GU has loaded up on 2023 offensive recruits this month:

Peter Grandolfo Midfield Fairfield Prep (Conn.)
Paxton Marshall Attack Victor (N.Y.)
Charlie Hoffman Attack St. Sebastians (Mass.)
Will Coale Attack Brunswick (Conn.)

Will be interesting how this class pans out as it has some top 50 guys, including a top 10 defenseman and goalie, and a lot of depth.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Jldlax wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:39 pm GU has loaded up on 2023 offensive recruits this month:

Peter Grandolfo Midfield Fairfield Prep (Conn.)
Paxton Marshall Attack Victor (N.Y.)
Charlie Hoffman Attack St. Sebastians (Mass.)
Will Coale Attack Brunswick (Conn.)

Will be interesting how this class pans out as it has some top 50 guys, including a top 10 defenseman and goalie, and a lot of depth.
Grandolfo is excellent
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

The future is indeed very bright for the Hoyas. Looking over the past decade, it is remarkable what Warne and Co. have accomplished. His first five years were tough, going only 26-47 (36%) with no Big East titles or NCAA tournament appearances. However, over his next five seasons the Hoyas went an incredible 59-15 (80%) with four Big East titles and four NCAA appearances (with no post season for any team in 2020). With the recruiting pipeline as strong as it’s been in twenty years, we should expect more of the same going forward.
HGK

Post by HGK »

I have said this before but watching the Syracuse playoff game from a couple years back, Hess has to be part of the offensive unit. The kid can dodge from X , the wing and up top. Not sure what Warne/Hogan will want to do with him but IMHO he has to be part of the offense and not just SSDM.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

Graham Bundy Jr. was named a captain of the USA U21 team. What a great honor for him - Hoya Saxa!

"Graham Bundy Jr. and Cole Kirst have been elected by their teammates as co-captains for the U.S. team that will compete in the World Lacrosse Men’s U21 World Championship later this month in Limerick, Ireland.

Bundy Jr., the first player from the state of Missouri named to a U.S. national team, has been named an All-American in each of his first two full seasons at Georgetown, earning first team honors from the USILA in 2022 and second team honors in 2021. He had 70 points (45g, 25a) in 2022, the most ever for a Georgetown midfielder."

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/usa-insi ... 1-captains

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”