Georgetown 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Georgetown 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Alright my son and I just took a a flyer in fantasy round two on Joe Cesare so please inform coaches we will grease palms for the kid to get PT early and often!
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
HGK

Post by HGK »

He had a breakout senior year. Definitely could see him at ssdm to start his career. His dad played football for the Hoyas.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

The incoming class seems to have a lot of incoming midfield talent. It would be good to develop SSDM depth as a top team needs 2 SSDM lines in the shot clock era. And with the transfers coming in on offense this would be a good way to get some playing time for new guys.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Heres the two hypothesis re Cesare:

1. As unstarred if he outperforms "perception" and I realize the coaches don't care about stars but I bet they all anchor unconsciously to the media hype even if it's cognitive dissonance. So the 4 star kids are kind of "fill or kill" in that if they dont perform early when given opportunities they become a "let down" faster, whereas Cesare only has to do some things well when given opportunities and the mind will think, hey this kid is "sneaky good and maybe a hidden gem with some upside so lets give him more chances"

2. My son locked onto him before I helped him think about and learn how to effectively research kids and time was getting close to pick and I checked with a Fairfield Co guy I trust who said he could shoot and with Haley at the X it was a roll of the dice when I've got Sam King and Pat Kavanaugh at attack already..

Fantasy doesn't equal reality..but it'll be fun to root for a lesser known talent and he wants to watch georgetown games which I will do even though we know the best georgetown lacrosse to watch involves hobart guys like Dave Urick.
See Martin, Malcolm
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Jldlax wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:46 pm The incoming class seems to have a lot of incoming midfield talent. It would be good to develop SSDM depth as a top team needs 2 SSDM lines in the shot clock era. And with the transfers coming in on offense this would be a good way to get some playing time for new guys.
Midfield is notoriously the most difficult transition from high school to college. But the freshman class seems to have some decent size which helps.

I wonder if attackman Henry Caponiti at 6'2" 225 could run some midfield also.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

rolldodge wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:39 am
Jldlax wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:46 pm The incoming class seems to have a lot of incoming midfield talent. It would be good to develop SSDM depth as a top team needs 2 SSDM lines in the shot clock era. And with the transfers coming in on offense this would be a good way to get some playing time for new guys.
Midfield is notoriously the most difficult transition from high school to college. But the freshman class seems to have some decent size which helps.

I wonder if attackman Henry Caponiti at 6'2" 225 could run some midfield also.
The holy grail is the downfield dodging Linebacker built midfielder who can rip it. So hard to find of course-always reminded me of the early Sega NHL hockey game one year when Eric Lindros’ special power move was to skate w puck throw someone, injure them and keep skating and rip a shot. Not as much fun as Blades of Steel just starting fight after fight or the old NBA Nintendo game where you could run up behind guys with the ball, rabbit punch them in the back of the head and steal the ball back but fun.
See Martin, Malcolm
random observer

Post by random observer »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:00 pm Heres the two hypothesis re Cesare:

1. As unstarred if he outperforms "perception" and I realize the coaches don't care about stars but I bet they all anchor unconsciously to the media hype even if it's cognitive dissonance. So the 4 star kids are kind of "fill or kill" in that if they dont perform early when given opportunities they become a "let down" faster, whereas Cesare only has to do some things well when given opportunities and the mind will think, hey this kid is "sneaky good and maybe a hidden gem with some upside so lets give him more chances"

2. My son locked onto him before I helped him think about and learn how to effectively research kids and time was getting close to pick and I checked with a Fairfield Co guy I trust who said he could shoot and with Haley at the X it was a roll of the dice when I've got Sam King and Pat Kavanaugh at attack already..

Fantasy doesn't equal reality..but it'll be fun to root for a lesser known talent and he wants to watch georgetown games which I will do even though we know the best georgetown lacrosse to watch involves hobart guys like Dave Urick.
I don't think coaches anchor on stars or rankings. The IL rankings act as a general consensus, but each staff has its own perceptions on the players in a class, and if you compared lists you'd see a wide disparity of opinions on different players. The only thing the coaches anchor on is their own perceptions of the players coming into college.

In the case of Cesare, I wouldn't even say he's a hidden gem at this stage (or at least he shouldn't be). He just had an AA season for one of the most storied high school programs in the nation, and was arguably the most productive middle in the CIAC. I think he was just simply a late bloomer on the scene; he was on Eclipse's B team up until his junior year.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

random observer wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:49 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:00 pm Heres the two hypothesis re Cesare:

I don't think coaches anchor on stars or rankings. The IL rankings act as a general consensus, but each staff has its own perceptions on the players in a class, and if you compared lists you'd see a wide disparity of opinions on different players. The only thing the coaches anchor on is their own perceptions of the players coming into college.

In the case of Cesare, I wouldn't even say he's a hidden gem at this stage (or at least he shouldn't be). He just had an AA season for one of the most storied high school programs in the nation, and was arguably the most productive middle in the CIAC. I think he was just simply a late bloomer on the scene; he was on Eclipse's B team up until his junior year.
Maybe you’re right, I’m thinking from my working world and approaching my clients and counterparties but different sector of life.

You’re making my son look like a genius and I just let him have an account here really for fantasy for us but we should settle this talk down before he starts talking trash to me and questioning my orders as his father. :)
See Martin, Malcolm
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

random observer wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:49 am

I think he was just simply a late bloomer on the scene; he was on Eclipse's B team up until his junior year.
Love to hear it. Some kids just don’t develop as fast as others. Something to be said for being under the radar and not being pampered by the hype machine in terms of character and player development. Looking forward to seeing him play.
HGK

Post by HGK »

With schedules starting to roll out, do we have a sense of OOC opponents? Believe Hopkins away and Mount is a given. Any other games we know of from other schools schedules?
HGK

Post by HGK »

Tomorrow the Georgetown team will run the annual Remo run in honor of Chris Remington. Chris was one of the first truly great Hoya players and died tragically in 2018. #3 was a two time All American and left the Hilltop as the school’s all time leading goal and point scorer. In honor of Chris, all alums and friends of Chris are encouraged to run 3 miles in memory of a great player and an even better person.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

GU picks up another 4 star from the 2024 class, attackman Owen Horning of Georgetown Prep. This class should provide depth at multiple positions:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... commitment
HGK

Post by HGK »

Lehigh back on the schedule for a second year. 3/25 on the Hilltop.
HGK

Post by HGK »

IL’s top 50 preseason players list is now complete with today’s top 10. The Hoyas had 5 players make the top 50.

Reilly at #42, Minicus at #35, Dordevic at #18, Bundy at #9 and Bowen at #3.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Looking at other schedules and making a few assumptions the Hoyas OOC schedule will be -

Confirmed - Hopkins Penn Lehigh

Assumed - Loyola

Likely - Richmond, Princeton, ND

Off - Mount and possibly Utah

So likely two new additions.
Creasedive

Post by Creasedive »

High Point @ Audi Field
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Here is my question. Do you think the rest of the Big East, which was pretty much very mediocre to subpar last year, will be either improved or much improved?
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/16 ... c4sAzzFxAw

Hometown is Alexandria, VA. Perhaps he wants to be close to home?
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

rolldodge wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:06 am https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/16 ... c4sAzzFxAw

Close to home for sure, unfortunately just a bit further south.

https://twitter.com/LacrosseNetwork/sta ... 8pS8FR479A
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

rolldodge wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:52 pm
rolldodge wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:06 am https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/16 ... c4sAzzFxAw

Close to home for sure, unfortunately just a bit further south.

https://twitter.com/LacrosseNetwork/sta ... 8pS8FR479A
Makes sense, UVA has the history, pedigree, etc. Will be a FF favorite now.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”