Georgetown 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
rolldodge

Re: Georgetown 2023

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:08 pm...might be a great addition to the staff...
True, at which point it would make sense to reassess. At the very least, it creates uncertainty. From my outside perspective, Phipps was not only integral to Xs and Os, but to team chemistry as well.

I'm sure the staff and admin will do their best to bring in the best available talent and fit for the position.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

HGK wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:08 pm
rolldodge wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:30 am Man, that is disappointing. I get the location/family pull, but seems odd for a lateral move (downward if he is not Associate Head Coach at Navy). I would have thought Phipps would not leave until a head coaching spot pulled him away. I guess that commute from Annapolis to Washington is pretty terrible ;)

Going to be very difficult to replace, and I think you have to honestly downgrade expectations for next year until we see how things shake out. Having such big names as transfers was already going to be a potentially destabilizing factor.
I think “downgrading” expectations is a bit extreme. It’s a big loss but there might be a great addition to the staff, as well as the fact the team is loaded. Let’s hope they get back to the 2018 underdog mindset and play like the hunter instead of the hunted.
I agree that downgrading expectations is premature, at best. While Phipps is a great OC and a big loss, things will depend upon who GU gets as a replacement. I assume/hope that GU will move quickly given the summer recruiting cycle. Also agree with the need for adjusting to the mindset of the hunted.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

The fact he didn’t go to Maryland I think shows his families affinity for the Academy
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

No other way to look at it but this is a loss to Georgetown, possibly a big one. The recruiting improved when he arrived which I am not willing to accept as just a coincidence. The role of the assistant coach is so huge in recruiting that losing a top notch assistant is a big deal, especially at this time of year. Good for him, good for his family, but this is a big loss for the Hoyas.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Lax3 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:26 pm No other way to look at it but this is a loss to Georgetown, possibly a big one. The recruiting improved when he arrived which I am not willing to accept as just a coincidence. The role of the assistant coach is so huge in recruiting that losing a top notch assistant is a big deal, especially at this time of year. Good for him, good for his family, but this is a big loss for the Hoyas.
It is a loss period, no doubt. I find it interesting that we don’t see the same sentiment on the Maryland thread with an OC that took a HC job. Probably because they have incredible talent and a culture that will stay largely in place. As much as Phipps helped build the culture at Georgetown he isn’t taking it with him nor the talent. Georgetown is better for Mike being part of the program but what he helped build is not going away. Warne is a very legit coach, the boys love playing for him and the administration showed this week how much they care about Hoya lacrosse. It’s a setback yes but the program is in a very good place and I would bet will be adding a very good person as the OC.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:19 pmI find it interesting that we don’t see the same sentiment on the Maryland thread with an OC that took a HC job.
That's because Tillman has been to 7 championship games, and has two titles with 8 different coaching staffs.

I'm hopeful that Georgetown can find a great fit and continue to build on their success.

Who do we think are the frontrunners for the job?
lorin

Post by lorin »

rolldodge wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:00 pm
HGK wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:19 pmI find it interesting that we don’t see the same sentiment on the Maryland thread with an OC that took a HC job.
That's because Tillman has been to 7 championship games, and has two titles with 8 different coaching staffs.

I'm hopeful that Georgetown can find a great fit and continue to build on their success.

Who do we think are the frontrunners for the job?
How about coach Ward at Army?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

rolldodge wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:00 pm Who do we think are the frontrunners for the job?
No clue if these guys will be interested but if I'm Warne I'm targeting:

- Jim Mitchell, has done very well at Princeton, lots of experience and has ties to MD
- John Hogan, younger but up and coming, coordinated some solid offenses at Richmond, also has ties to southern MD and prob knows the DC scene well
- Tyler Granelli, did great at Jax this year, could be looking for an upgrade, also has ties to MD (who doesn't at this point)
- The loser of the Bernhardt vs. Chanenchuck sweepstakes for the Terps OC gig
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

Hopfan16 Your comment on the Terps OC is very astute. I think Channy is more likely but that might piss off the bro.
GU lost Phipps due to money. Plain and simple. What Navy is paying him is higher than most head coaches. Navy is desperate to get back to winning ways. GU will have a ton of talent to win next year so the choice of their OC is important. Look what Benson did to fine tune the MD O.
For the hardcore GU fans, I dont see M Haus being mentioned for SSDM playing time. How did he do last year in limited playing time. I think he is a sleeper and will be very good
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Mitchell definitely got some interest from Maryland for their OC position and chose to remain at Princeton. Perhaps Georgetown presents a different opportunity but I think he’s happy there

But still plenty of good choices for the Hoyas and I’m sure Warne will make a good hire
HGK

Post by HGK »

“For the hardcore GU fans, I dont see M Haus being mentioned for SSDM playing time. How did he do last year in limited playing time. I think he is a sleeper and will be very good”

Agree Haus is a very good athlete and could get some time. Two other boys to watch for SSDM would be incoming freshmen Cesare
And Caretta. Both very athletic two way middies. With Godine, Leary and Hess it will be interesting to see what Warne does with this strong incoming midfield class in terms of possible movement to short stick. I’d assume Dean, Crogan, Duddemaine and Wray are going to be solely competing on the offensive side of the ball.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

HGK wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:02 pm “For the hardcore GU fans, I dont see M Haus being mentioned for SSDM playing time. How did he do last year in limited playing time. I think he is a sleeper and will be very good”

Agree Haus is a very good athlete and could get some time. Two other boys to watch for SSDM would be incoming freshmen Cesare
And Caretta. Both very athletic two way middies. With Godine, Leary and Hess it will be interesting to see what Warne does with this strong incoming midfield class in terms of possible movement to short stick. I’d assume Dean, Crogan, Duddemaine and Wray are going to be solely competing on the offensive side of the ball.
Hopefully the 2022 class will bring talent and depth to the midfield on both sides of the field. Also wonder if GU is looking for a 2023 attackman to replace the flip to Princeton.

The key now is the replacement for Phipps. Is GU waiting to see who goes to MD to replace Benson? It would seem that time is of the essence in terms of summer recruiting.
HGK

Post by HGK »

With no disrespect, Georgetown is definitely not waiting on Maryland I can guarantee that. The process is moving along.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

HGK wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:42 pm With no disrespect, Georgetown is definitely not waiting on Maryland I can guarantee that. The process is moving along.
The reference was a suggestion in this thread that GU could be considering at least one guy who may be a candidate for the MD job. I think that GU is a very good destination for a top OC, and hopefully GU can land one.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Reference was made to the Phipps hiring being a financial issue - is that suggesting that Georgetown was/is unwilling to spend at market for assistant head coaches, or whatever his title was? That would be extremely troubling if that was the case.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Lax3 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:22 pm Reference was made to the Phipps hiring being a financial issue - is that suggesting that Georgetown was/is unwilling to spend at market for assistant head coaches, or whatever his title was? That would be extremely troubling if that was the case.
Phipps was was elevated to associate head coach a year or so ago and paid well. Navy made a very significant offer and Georgetown made a great counter offer. We thank him for his time and wish him all the best.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Lax3 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:22 pm Reference was made to the Phipps hiring being a financial issue - is that suggesting that Georgetown was/is unwilling to spend at market for assistant head coaches, or whatever his title was? That would be extremely troubling if that was the case.
I'm speculating, but I think it indicates that Navy was willing to pay well above market for an assistant coach, to the point that Gtown couldn't possibly better it. That's not a knock on Gtown ... some things (for example, paying an assistant coach more than a head coach) are not feasible no matter how valued an employee.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Now that the dominos are falling with MD securing Bernhardt, i’d think a Georgetown OC hire should be coming soon.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

HGK wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:31 pm Now that the dominos are falling with MD securing Bernhardt, i’d think a Georgetown OC hire should be coming soon.
It will be good to get someone in place. Hopefully we'll hear something soon!
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Over the last few years, Gtown has been a very mature team with upperclassmen at almost every position and has been one of the biggest players in the portal. At what point does this hurt recruiting and morale? I can only think of a few from the rising Junior class that have had significant playing time and virtually none from the rising soph class. I'm sure they have a solid freshman class but how many are going to get time on this roster? Hoyas have literally become transfer U, how effective is this strategy? I guess it works for Maryland so maybe it can work in DC but there must be a lot of disgruntled players in that locker room.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”