Big Ten 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Big Ten 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:01 pm
PulpExposure wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:13 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:47 pm
I have no idea what SAT scores mean anymore. I was mid 90s HS graduate and they changed it twice at least since but my 1360 and top 20 graduate ranking was good enough to be wait list accepted at Brown from a decent public HS in a crappy declining part of CNY/upstate. Now a 1380 is avg for UMD.
I have no idea either. I got a 1400 on my SAT and was like definitely a huge plus in college applications. Now you're telling me a 1380 is the average at Maryland? I think what would be more helpful is where on the scale that number sits....
My sense has been OSU and UMD are better than RU and PSU but it’s not like your going to University of Phoenix at any of those places.
Completely agree, and to 10stone5 and MDGrad2012's point, none of those schools are mediocre. Even RU being 212 on the list of best schools...there are almost 6000 4 year colleges in the US....
The Big Ten is loaded with very good schools. If you are graduating from a big ten school, then generally speaking your leaving with a solid degree...now, the degree or area of study can leave something to be questioned of course...if your graduating from any Big Ten business school, then your doing well. If your getting an engineering degree or some heavy computer engineering or sciences degree from one of those schools, you should have no issue finding a very good job out of the gate.

What sometimes gets washed away with athletes is are they being pushed into some general type of a degree that when they graduate they are left there going “what the hell do I do with this degree?” That happens more than you think at some of these big time schools. A kinesiology degree or a general liberal arts degree is ok if your going on to med school or some other masters program...if you’re not getting a secondary degree, well not so much

The big ten is known for its academic reputation...tons of great schools and really top programs within those schools...but like everything, it’s about the kid and the degree and the alumni network that opens doors for the kids when they’re done...that’s really the key to the kingdom IMO
Just to be clear the Big Ten is a athletic affiliation. Just like Ivy is athletic affiliation. As is the SEC.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I have no idea what SAT scores mean anymore. I was mid 90s HS graduate and they changed it twice at least since but my 1360 and top 20 graduate ranking was good enough to be wait list accepted at Brown from a decent public HS in a crappy declining part of CNY/upstate. Now a 1380 is avg for UMD.
I have no idea either. I got a 1400 on my SAT and was like definitely a huge plus in college applications. Now you're telling me a 1380 is the average at Maryland? I think what would be more helpful is where on the scale that number sits....
My sense has been OSU and UMD are better than RU and PSU but it’s not like your going to University of Phoenix at any of those places.
Completely agree, and to 10stone5 and MDGrad2012's point, none of those schools are mediocre. Even RU being 212 on the list of best schools...there are almost 6000 4 year colleges in the US....
The Big Ten is loaded with very good schools. If you are graduating from a big ten school, then generally speaking your leaving with a solid degree...now, the degree or area of study can leave something to be questioned of course...if your graduating from any Big Ten business school, then your doing well. If your getting an engineering degree or some heavy computer engineering or sciences degree from one of those schools, you should have no issue finding a very good job out of the gate.

What sometimes gets washed away with athletes is are they being pushed into some general type of a degree that when they graduate they are left there going “what the hell do I do with this degree?” That happens more than you think at some of these big time schools. A kinesiology degree or a general liberal arts degree is ok if your going on to med school or some other masters program...if you’re not getting a secondary degree, well not so much

The big ten is known for its academic reputation...tons of great schools and really top programs within those schools...but like everything, it’s about the kid and the degree and the alumni network that opens doors for the kids when they’re done...that’s really the key to the kingdom IMO
You may appreciate this joke.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ivSWnj3UVUI
See Martin, Malcolm
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:23 pm

You may appreciate this joke.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ivSWnj3UVUI
That’s pretty funny.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Interesting discussion on school quality. I went to a magnet high school in Maryland and graduated in the mid-nineties. From my class of about ninety, over half went to Ivies, Stanford, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, or CalTech. My 1520 SAT (uncurved at the time!) could only get me into Cornell, along with about seven classmates. Several of my classmates went to Maryland. I did pretty well at Cornell, graduated, then took a gap year. In that gap year I did a semester at Maryland, taking five undergrad classes. I literally got 100% in four classes, and like a 98% in the other. The quality of teaching was quite good, probably comparable to Cornell. The competition was not, at least from the small sample size of classes I took. I understand this has changed over time for Maryland, and the Montgomery, Howard, and PG county suburbs are rich in high-performing students who opt to go to Maryland (lots of kids of parents working at medical research and tech firms on the I-270 corridor, as well as the many research universities in the area).

Looking now at where my high school classmates are, the ones that went to the more prestigious schools all are near the top of their various fields, PhDs, MDs, MD-PhDs. Certainly the connections we made, and the fact that we had the name of an Ivy on our resumes didn’t hurt. It automatically put us at or near the top for any job opening before the interview. And the alumni network is useful, particularly in certain geographic areas and fields (NYC, Silicon Valley, tech start-ups, medicine, law, etc).

When the time comes for my daughter to start thinking about college, I will recommend she look at the top schools, because I do believe they have a level of rigor that doesn’t exist elsewhere, and they open doors that otherwise may not be open.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

UMD has the 8th highest public and 13th highest overall research budget. It’s a research institution. Alumni have invented / created Google, Underarmour, the Hybrid Engine, the Universal Product code and symbol, Epic Games(Fortnite), Pulse Doppler Radar, the Octane System, the Muppets, the Wire,Seinfeld, Sirius Satellite Radio, Flexible Artery Stents, The embedded insulin pump, Soft Contact Lenses, the Birth Control pill, broke Watergate.

Much more impactful on the world culture and economy than Dartmouth and Cornell alum combined. Something about UMD inspires genius and huge impact.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Essexfenwick wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:45 pm UMD has the 8th highest public and 13th highest overall research budget. It’s a research institution. Alumni have invented / created Google, Underarmour, the Hybrid Engine, the Universal Product code and symbol, Epic Games(Fortnite), Pulse Doppler Radar, the Octane System, the Muppets, the Wire,Seinfeld, Sirius Satellite Radio, Flexible Artery Stents, The embedded insulin pump, Soft Contact Lenses, the Birth Control pill, broke Watergate.

Much more impactful on the world culture and economy than Dartmouth and Cornell alum combined. Something about UMD inspires genius and huge impact.
We got Janet Reno!

…and everyone else on this list.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_C ... ity_alumni

But most importantly, we have John C. Tillman.

You’re probably right about Dartmouth, though.

Post by 1766 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:22 pm

Just to be clear the Big Ten is a athletic affiliation. Just like Ivy is athletic affiliation. As is the SEC.
It's also an academic association, known as the CIC. The B1G is about to sign the most lucrative media rights deal in college history. Even so, that will pale in comparison to the research grants that the consortium brings in on a yearly basis. If you are talking pure dollars the Big Ten is actually an academic alliance that plays sports (except for the University of Chicago).
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:47 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:45 pm UMD has the 8th highest public and 13th highest overall research budget. It’s a research institution. Alumni have invented / created Google, Underarmour, the Hybrid Engine, the Universal Product code and symbol, Epic Games(Fortnite), Pulse Doppler Radar, the Octane System, the Muppets, the Wire,Seinfeld, Sirius Satellite Radio, Flexible Artery Stents, The embedded insulin pump, Soft Contact Lenses, the Birth Control pill, broke Watergate.

We got Janet Reno!

Out of that list …. Every day I use Google, the Universal Product Code, Soft contact lenses, Sirius Satellite Radio, and the Octane System, Wife uses birth control pill. Every other day or so I use Pulse Doppler Radar ( weather radar), watch a Seinfeld. My niece, In-laws and secretary drive hybrid engines. But the greatest genius in a lot of ways is the Muppets.. turning puppets into a durable icon is practically impossible.

My life and everybody’s life is heavily impacted by UMD alum daily. I don’t think anybody would notice much if Cornell and Dartmouth never existed.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

1766 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:05 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:22 pm

It's also an academic association, known as the CIC. The B1G is about to sign the most lucrative media rights deal in college history. Even so, that will pale in comparison to the research grants that the consortium brings in on a yearly basis. If you are talking pure dollars the Big Ten is actually an academic alliance that plays sports (except for the University of Chicago).
Chicago plays sports. So there are exceptions that make the Big Ten an athletic affiliation. But carry on.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Essexfenwick wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:42 am

We got Janet Reno!

Out of that list …. Every day I use Google, the Universal Product Code, Soft contact lenses, Sirius Satellite Radio, and the Octane System, Wife uses birth control pill. Every other day or so I use Pulse Doppler Radar ( weather radar), watch a Seinfeld. My niece, In-laws and secretary drive hybrid engines. But the greatest genius in a lot of ways is the Muppets.. turning puppets into a durable icon is practically impossible.

My life and everybody’s life is heavily impacted by UMD alum daily. I don’t think anybody would notice much if Cornell and Dartmouth never existed.
The rest of the world is quite grateful for that.

Any chance UND grad invented Cyanide or Jim Jones is an alum??
See Martin, Malcolm
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

We got Janet Reno!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willis_Carrier

And for Terp fans, you left off https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Simon
While Malthus was a genius, Simon exposed neo-Malthusians.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:52 am

We got Janet Reno!

A/C is a huge one!

Interestingly … Carriers grandson was in my fraternity at UMD.

Another UMD guy I left off was the solver of Linear Programming which every large business uses maximize profits.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Essexfenwick wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:20 am

We got Janet Reno!

A/C is a huge one!

Another UMD guy I left off was the solver of Linear Programming which every large business uses maximize profits.
And David Simon of the Wire, Treme, We Own This City, fame etc. OK FINE. I'm a fanboy lol.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

We got Janet Reno!

A/C is a huge one!

You realize Carrier was a Cornell alum, right?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

That was in response to:
I don’t think anybody would notice much if Cornell and Dartmouth never existed.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:28 pm

We got Janet Reno!

A/C is a huge one!

You realize Carrier was a Cornell alum, right?
Yep … and I gave kudos
LongIslandLacks

Post by LongIslandLacks »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:19 am Maryland isn’t mediocre, academically.
It is.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

LongIslandLacks wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:02 pm
10stone5 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:19 am Maryland isn’t mediocre, academically.
It is.
FWIW UMD is #59 in US News poll, tied with Pitt, Syracuse anf U of Wash. JHU is #9 tied with Duke, Cal Tech and Northwestern.
Last edited by Drcthru on Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

It is.
Wrong
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Drcthru wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:50 pm
It is.
FWIW UMD is #59 in US News poll, tied with Pitt and U of Wash. JHU is #9 tied with Duke, Cal Tech and Northwestern.
i doubt they're really all tied. that would be impossible.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”