Big Ten 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Big Ten 2023

Post by gymman1031 »

Here are my top three questions:

1. Does Maryland go through conference play without a loss for the third consecutive season?
2. Does Hopkins show serious improvement in-terms of wins and performances?
3. Does Michigan, for the first time in program history, finish with at least ten wins and be in the top four heading into conference tournament play?
Farfromgeneva

Re: Big Ten 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Better questions

1. Whats up w OSU next year
2. What’s up with PSU next year
3. How many transfers will start at Rutgers
4. Will anyone even come close to Maryland for the first time since long before Covid was a thing?
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:42 pm Better questions

4. Will anyone even come close to Maryland for the first time since long before Covid was a thing?
I can't say those questions, while reasonable, are any better or more relevant.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

1. Myers is back so that will help. Smith, Wiseman, White all have some eligibility left as well so Reid and Knox look like only big losses on offense. Van Buren will be even better on D and they have other returners there. Inacio is a big loss. I think they're probably similar to this year, a good team, Top 12ish, will be B1G Top 4, but tournament depends on whether they can win those big OOC games they won for most part this year

2. Man I don't know. But I'm not sure how much longer they can keep having years like '21 and '22

3. So far I don't think they've added anyone in the portal yet. Portal isn't as deep as last couple years. I'll go 2?

4. It'll be closer but with Rutgers losing some key pieces, same with OSU, and MD still having a deep and loaded roster...they'll still be the prohibitive favorite in the league. I think they finally lose a conf game for first time since 2019 for sure, but still likely league champion
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jrn19 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:01 pm

1. Myers is back so that will help. Smith, Wiseman, White all have some eligibility left as well so Reid and Knox look like only big losses on offense. Van Buren will be even better on D and they have other returners there. Inacio is a big loss. I think they're probably similar to this year, a good team, Top 12ish, will be B1G Top 4, but tournament depends on whether they can win those big OOC games they won for most part this year

2. Man I don't know. But I'm not sure how much longer they can keep having years like '21 and '22

3. So far I don't think they've added anyone in the portal yet. Portal isn't as deep as last couple years. I'll go 2?

4. It'll be closer but with Rutgers losing some key pieces, same with OSU, and MD still having a deep and loaded roster...they'll still be the prohibitive favorite in the league. I think they finally lose a conf game for first time since 2019 for sure, but still likely league champion
Knox has another year but he may decide to go pro.
See Martin, Malcolm
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Penn State has a good class coming in next year.

Matt Lazzaro was named UA first wave at attack.
I like Will Costin at defense.

Will Peden had a solid freshman year and they’ll get a full year
out of Fracyon.
Let’s see who they can pull out of the transfer portal.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

One would think PSU would be a prime landing spot for high end guys in the portal. Apparently not so far
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

5. Is Michigan still in the conference? Is it still D1?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Sleepiest of sleeping giants who will dominate D1 sports because who didn’t love Ann Arbor and big time football.
See Martin, Malcolm
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

OK, I get that Ann Arbor is not Charlottesville or Chapel Hill, but if you want a college town hosting a major state university, I would put it up against Amherst and ahead of University Park, New Brunswick, or College Park.

Of course, there is more to the decision than your college town.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Being facetious. Getting ahead of the annual “Why isn’t michigan having more success than John Wooden UCLA, Kenyon Swimming and 1980s Hobart lacrosse combined?” thread followed by the “a crackhead could win a title at Michigan so why is this stiff still around” new coach thread.

Though I’d personally rather be in the Berkshires/Amherst than Ann Arbor except I’m talking Amherst College not UMass who isn’t probably competing for kids with Mich\UVaA/UNC.

CP to me is a suburb of DC. Chapel Hill-Raleigh. CV used to be a retirement spot for DC people. None of their are standalone communities in my view.

Having been all around the east coast and most of the country though someone is going to have to explain the magic of having the college outnumber the year round pop by 3-5x/1. I don’t see it.
See Martin, Malcolm
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:10 am Being facetious. Getting ahead of the annual “Why isn’t michigan having more success than John Wooden UCLA, Kenyon Swimming and 1980s Hobart lacrosse combined?” thread followed by the “a crackhead could win a title at Michigan so why is this stiff still around” new coach thread.

Though I’d personally rather be in the Berkshires/Amherst than Ann Arbor except I’m talking Amherst College not UMass who isn’t probably competing for kids with Mich\UVaA/UNC.

CP to me is a suburb of DC. Chapel Hill-Raleigh. CV used to be a retirement spot for DC people. None of their are standalone communities in my view.

Having been all around the east coast and most of the country though someone is going to have to explain the magic of having the college outnumber the year round pop by 3-5x/1. I don’t see it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_Sports

it's not a sports or lacrosse backwater. In year 10 you'd think more progress would've been made.

Off the field, Ohio State I guess is making progress on a lacrosse facility which if I'm correct means all 6 programs should have modern lacrosse fields/facilities/froyo stations for their student athletes and should further help to separate the conference in recruiting battles.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:33 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:10 am Being facetious. Getting ahead of the annual “Why isn’t michigan having more success than John Wooden UCLA, Kenyon Swimming and 1980s Hobart lacrosse combined?” thread followed by the “a crackhead could win a title at Michigan so why is this stiff still around” new coach thread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_Sports

it's not a sports or lacrosse backwater. In year 10 you'd think more progress would've been made.

Off the field, Ohio State I guess is making progress on a lacrosse facility which if I'm correct means all 6 programs should have modern lacrosse fields/facilities/froyo stations for their student athletes and should further help to separate the conference in recruiting battles.
Is it even going to matter when NIL fully reshapes the entire college athletics landscape in 3-5yrs?

Michigan isn’t exactly a thriving state in general. If section 3 & 4 in CNY/WNY are struggling to remain relevant given local economics and migration patterns it’s likely Michigan lacrosse at the lower levels will die before it arrives compared w GA/FL/TX/Rocky Mtns/West Coast. Brother Rice will be getting smoked by some school in the Austin/Atlanta MSA in five years.

And we can all wonder but having the same conversation over and over seems like the equivalent of a sandpaper embedded glory hole.
See Martin, Malcolm

Post by 1766 »

Until the transfer market settles, it's very hard to rank teams. Maryland being the exception. Until you beat the champ...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bracket

UMD
2-5
Mich

Personally I think it’s

2. Rutgers
3/4. Hop/PSU
5. OSU
See Martin, Malcolm
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:12 pm Bracket

UMD
2-5
Mich

Personally I think it’s

2. Rutgers
3/4. Hop/PSU
5. OSU
At the risk of being ridiculed, I think Michigan will be closer to the "OSU of 2023" (team everyone ignored preseason but turned out to be pretty decent) than the bottom of the B1G. They should have everyone back. We'll see if Conry fixes the schedule for next year.

I have no idea about PSU and Hop. I feel two extremes about Hop - they either take a big step up or crater. IMO, PSU needs a lot to be considered more than 5 or 6. Are they really better than OSU?

MD on top till proven otherwise - I suppose you have to trust that Rutgers will continue to reload via the portal until proven otherwise as well.

I think this will be the most competitive the B1G has been from top to bottom in a long while.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Young Warrior wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:27 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:12 pm Bracket

UMD
2-5
Mich

Personally I think it’s

2. Rutgers
3/4. Hop/PSU
5. OSU
At the risk of being ridiculed, I think Michigan will be closer to the "OSU of 2023" (team everyone ignored preseason but turned out to be pretty decent) than the bottom of the B1G. They should have everyone back. We'll see if Conry fixes the schedule for next year.

I have no idea about PSU and Hop. I feel two extremes about Hop - they either take a big step up or crater. IMO, PSU needs a lot to be considered more than 5 or 6. Are they really better than OSU?

MD on top till proven otherwise - I suppose you have to trust that Rutgers will continue to reload via the portal until proven otherwise as well.

I think this will be the most competitive the B1G has been from top to bottom in a long while.
Here comes the ridicule.

I’m not sure returning everyone from a team that won 0 conference games and is currently on an 8 game losing streak is something to place your bets on.

That being said they have talent, PSU will also improve, but they likely won’t be a tournament level team.

Ohio state returns some good players, notably Myers and Van Buren. They should remain solid - Inacio is likely the biggest challenge to replace.

Maryland will probably look different, but who’s betting against them. I expect them to “be the best” again, at least in the B1G.

Rutgers keeps adding good transfers, hard to say for sure what they’ll be, but expect them to be good. Losing 27!!! Seniors is a unique situation.

Hopkins, who knows. Place seems to be in turmoil, however I’m sure reality is different than what all of the forum posters think.

Post by 1766 »

Not all of those 27 seniors are leaving. There will be transfers (already are), but the staff is high on some of the young guys that have been developing. It will be interesting to see how they are used this season.
Rolldins

Post by Rolldins »

Supposedly UMD is going after Fake and Tevlin, if they land them then I don't see much hope for an in-conference loss for UMD...

Does Mich lose any key contributors? Seems like every year is the year they will 'break out'.

All in all, I don't think 2023 will be all too different than 2022 for the Big 10. Maybe Hopkins gets a couple of key transfers, has a breakout freshman or two and Milliman's vision is fulfilled and they turn some heads, but I can't see things changing as things stand.
LongIslandLacks

Post by LongIslandLacks »

Rolldins wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:33 pm Supposedly UMD is going after Fake and Tevlin, if they land them then I don't see much hope for an in-conference loss for UMD...

Does Mich lose any key contributors? Seems like every year is the year they will 'break out'.

All in all, I don't think 2023 will be all too different than 2022 for the Big 10. Maybe Hopkins gets a couple of key transfers, has a breakout freshman or two and Milliman's vision is fulfilled and they turn some heads, but I can't see things changing as things stand.
Michigan loses one starter who decided not to come back and a few players in the senior class who can play but for whatever reason decided to depart. Don’t think anyone in that team ran out of eligibility. So, they only “break out” if there is a relative and improvement based on who leaves other schools and one or two possible contributors from the incoming class (which again, is relative to incoming classes of the competition). Hard to see a big change in the order of things, except Hopkins seems so fragile—do they improve or collapse? Think Penn State has a great coach and solid foundation and will get out of the rut.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”