Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
AreaLax

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by AreaLax »

Per IL

More breaking #d3lax news as sources have confirmed to @Inside_Lacrosse that Donal Mullane will be joining the defending national champs @TerpsMLax.

Mullane was the 2022 @NESCAC POTY after tallying 105 points (59g, 46a) in 16 games for Bowdoin.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Does he have a relative in MD to claim residence? Bowdoin? They play McDonough next year right?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:49 pm
105 points only gets you 2nd team all-american in D3? Tough division.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Awfully crowded roster of talent at MD but Mullane is an awfully good player, he will see the field and contribute. 109 points and missed their last 2 playoff games, very shifty, excellent finisher and distributer.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:15 pm Awfully crowded roster of talent at MD but Mullane is an awfully good player, he will see the field and contribute. 109 points and missed their last 2 playoff games, very shifty, excellent finisher and distributer.
I mean UVA has 2 of the last 3 #1 recruits on attack, and Duke has the top generational recruit in Brennan and the #2 recruit last year. That seems more crowded than what Maryland has.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

keno in reno wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:22 pm
pcowlax wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:15 pm Awfully crowded roster of talent at MD but Mullane is an awfully good player, he will see the field and contribute. 109 points and missed their last 2 playoff games, very shifty, excellent finisher and distributer.
I mean UVA has 2 of the last 3 #1 recruits on attack, and Duke has the top generational recruit in Brennan and the #2 recruit last year. That seems more crowded than what Maryland has.
Uhm, and? He isn’t going to Virginia or Duke.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:41 pm
Uhm, and he's going to a team with a lot of talented guys, just like UVA, Duke, UNC, ND, Cornell, Yale, Princeton, Rutgers, Georgetown and a few others. Maryland's attack is no more crowded than other top teams.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

keno in reno wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:56 pm
Uhm, and he's going to a team with a lot of talented guys, just like UVA, Duke, UNC, ND, Cornell, Yale, Princeton, Rutgers, Georgetown and a few others. Maryland's attack is no more crowded than other top teams.
Are you specifically talking about Maryland’s 2023 team? Still not sure I agree with that statement for the coming year, but Maryland has certainly had a talent edge over all of those teams the last couple of years. Of course I’m not equating talent with recruiting ranking; Maryland seems superior in terms of developing recruits into talented upper classmen.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

keno in reno wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:56 pm
I have no idea what point you are trying to make.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Mullane clearly has a knack for making plays in a lot of ways. It'll be interesting to see what he can do when the margins are thinner against bigger, stronger, faster athletes deployed in more complex defensive schemes.

Maryland has gone off the beaten path of Ivy/Patriot/Big East for transfers so far this year. I was surprised to see them take a D3 player, but to be honest Bowdoin was probably at least on par with Sacred Heart and Binghamton this year; the two D1 schools the Terps have transfers coming in from. It will be a big jump for all three of them.
camping20

Post by camping20 »

Those boys from the “lesser” schools have had to be successful without a bunch of elite players around them. I’d rather these gritty type players any day, those who’ve had tough actual field experience. Imagine what they will accomplish playing alongside with the Terp caliber player…
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

He’ll probably move to the midfield.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Talking about any of this in terms of positions just confuses what's happening. Tills wants the best 6 offensive players on the field that he deploy at any time. They'll all play up top, on the wings, at GLE, or behind the goal. The offense needs skilled, selfless, and intelligent players. Players in the offense can't be one hit wonders. They have to be able to dodge, shoot, finish, and pass from anywhere on the field.

So...attack or midfield is kinda meaningless. I suspect that what we'll see moving forward with recruiting is that midfielders who can only alley dodge or only shoot won't get recruited by Tills. Attackmen who can only shoot from the wings or finish in close won't get recruited by Tills. He's long been the leader in recruiting high level athletes, so he's still going to look for that trait. But he's going to now want as many multidimensional threats as possible. It's why Maltz has gone from from a starter in a national title game to being a second line midfield replacement when Koras got hurt.

Early in the season after a Maryland game, I was walking Penn. Another player said "Duke's got bad shorties. It's all about the shorties." These weren't starters for the Terps. These were young players.

It showed to me how Maryland thinks about putting pressure on a defense. The position-less offense means that defenses need 2 good shorties, or Maryland is going to find them and expose them. The position-less offenses also mess with defenses' slide packages, especially is they're based on the opponent's positions. Like, some poles won't slide to midfielders because their scheme is based on them only sliding to attackmen. Against Maryland, an attackman will float to the top of the box next to a midfielder. The pole won't slide to a midfielder because it's not what he's supposed to do. So it get them all out of whack.

Most teams play big-little games to get shorties matched up on attackmen. Maryland's offense doesn't need to use big-little games to do that. Just one player to force a slide and then a series of passes.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

it isn't meaningless if an attackman (or at least 2/3 of them) are on the field for almost every rep vs middies who... won't be. you're also going to catch more shorties as a middie than an attackman will. so an attackman will have to effective vs poles if one of his jobs is to dodge.

most teams with good offensive personnel will take advantage of a weak link, especially at ssdm.

i haven't the faintest idea where or if this guy can be slotted. but it'd seem attack spots are open.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Positionless offense... I vote we rename it Total Lacrosse. Equivalent concept. Especially when you have shorties and FOGOs scoring within the offense.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:33 pm it isn't meaningless if an attackman (or at least 2/3 of them) are on the field for almost every rep vs middies who... won't be. you're also going to catch more shorties as a middie than an attackman will. so an attackman will have to effective vs poles if one of his jobs is to dodge.

most teams with good offensive personnel will take advantage of a weak link, especially at ssdm.

i haven't the faintest idea where or if this guy can be slotted. but it'd seem attack spots are open.
Pretty sure that 5 of Maryland's top 6 offensive players this past season were all HS attackmen. Donville, I believe, was a midfielder...although his pro team lists him as an attackman now. As for the second MF line, Jack Koras played attack at Loyola Blakefield, as did Jack Brennan at Irondequot HS. Owen Murphy played attack at Medfield in MA. They've all been dodging on poles since they were kids. Now they get to dodge shorties at Maryland!

Will they run back on defense? Sure. But their skill sets aren't those of "midfielders." Essentially what Tills does is play 6 attackmen on offense and uses the sub game to get them off the field. If they get trapped on defense, he's betting that they're better defenders than an opposing team's defensive midfielder or LSM.

The true, two-way midfielders at Maryland are the defensive midfielders.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Wheels wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:15 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:33 pm it isn't meaningless if an attackman (or at least 2/3 of them) are on the field for almost every rep vs middies who... won't be. you're also going to catch more shorties as a middie than an attackman will. so an attackman will have to effective vs poles if one of his jobs is to dodge.

Pretty sure that 5 of Maryland's top 6 offensive players this past season were all HS attackmen. Donville, I believe, was a midfielder...although his pro team lists him as an attackman now. As for the second MF line, Jack Koras played attack at Loyola Blakefield, as did Jack Brennan at Irondequot HS. Owen Murphy played attack at Medfield in MA. They've all been dodging on poles since they were kids. Now they get to dodge shorties at Maryland!

Will they run back on defense? Sure. But their skill sets aren't those of "midfielders." Essentially what Tills does is play 6 attackmen on offense and uses the sub game to get them off the field. If they get trapped on defense, he's betting that they're better defenders than an opposing team's defensive midfielder or LSM.

The true, two-way midfielders at Maryland are the defensive midfielders.
i wasn't commenting on where they played in hs or what kind of defenders they played against in hs.
if they're playing midfield at umd, they'll be primarily up top playing as midfielders.

if they're attackmen, they'll primarily be playing as attackmen against close defenders.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

This kid looks REALLY good. That video compilation shows a very gritty, fast player, shoots equally well both hands, and assists as often as he scores…that’s a positive to say the least.

I agree he will see not just the field, but he will be a starter.

Why did he miss the last two games?
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Wheels wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:55 pm Talking about any of this in terms of positions just confuses what's happening. Tills wants the best 6 offensive players on the field that he deploy at any time. They'll all play up top, on the wings, at GLE, or behind the goal. The offense needs skilled, selfless, and intelligent players. Players in the offense can't be one hit wonders. They have to be able to dodge, shoot, finish, and pass from anywhere on the field.

So...attack or midfield is kinda meaningless. I suspect that what we'll see moving forward with recruiting is that midfielders who can only alley dodge or only shoot won't get recruited by Tills. Attackmen who can only shoot from the wings or finish in close won't get recruited by Tills. He's long been the leader in recruiting high level athletes, so he's still going to look for that trait. But he's going to now want as many multidimensional threats as possible. It's why Maltz has gone from from a starter in a national title game to being a second line midfield replacement when Koras got hurt.

Early in the season after a Maryland game, I was walking Penn. Another player said "Duke's got bad shorties. It's all about the shorties." These weren't starters for the Terps. These were young players.

It showed to me how Maryland thinks about putting pressure on a defense. The position-less offense means that defenses need 2 good shorties, or Maryland is going to find them and expose them. The position-less offenses also mess with defenses' slide packages, especially is they're based on the opponent's positions. Like, some poles won't slide to midfielders because their scheme is based on them only sliding to attackmen. Against Maryland, an attackman will float to the top of the box next to a midfielder. The pole won't slide to a midfielder because it's not what he's supposed to do. So it get them all out of whack.

Most teams play big-little games to get shorties matched up on attackmen. Maryland's offense doesn't need to use big-little games to do that. Just one player to force a slide and then a series of passes.
You make good points, but 95% of Long's game this year was coming out of the box at 120 mph and finding the opposite wing. Next year he will do a lot more like he did in the past, but there is tremendous value to players who are great at primarily 1 thing (especially snipers or inside scorers).

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”