Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MoralTerpitude

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Maltz's just too accurate to have on the bench for most of the game. He scored a really nice goal against UVa in the tournament where he used match-up confusion to beat his man from the X and score from a reasonably tough angle. He also is very experienced. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the second midfield line will be Spanos, Maltz, and Siracusa at the beginning of the year.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Maltz would be a solid fit on the 2nd MF if there aren’t 2 obvious dodging threats like there were this year with Murphy and Brennan.

But largely, as Wheels and others have mentioned, YOURE just too limited by a guy who can’t even dodge a shortie against top defenses. You saw this with Georgetown. Dylan Watson is an amazing goal scorer, scored like 60 goals I think, but Delaware stuck a shortie on him in the tournament and he couldn’t do anything with it and they could triple pole their midfield where all the dodgers are and shut them down. You have to at least threaten a shortie with the ball in your stick or the offense will die against good defenses. Game has changed compared to when having a crease guy like Carlson, Older Maltz, Dubick was an auto thing every year
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:03 pm Maltz's just too accurate to have on the bench for most of the game. He scored a really nice goal against UVa in the tournament where he used match-up confusion to beat his man from the X and score from a reasonably tough angle. He also is very experienced. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the second midfield line will be Spanos, Maltz, and Siracusa at the beginning of the year.
i'd be surprised if he didn't have a much larger role at mid or at attack. and depending on what it is, an option if he wants it to be high in demand in the transfer market in '24.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Incoming goalie Brian Ruppel named first team All-Met by The Baltimore Sun. AJ Larkin on the second team.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/hig ... story.html
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:02 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:03 pm Maltz's just too accurate to have on the bench for most of the game. He scored a really nice goal against UVa in the tournament where he used match-up confusion to beat his man from the X and score from a reasonably tough angle. He also is very experienced. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the second midfield line will be Spanos, Maltz, and Siracusa at the beginning of the year.
i'd be surprised if he didn't have a much larger role at mid or at attack. and depending on what it is, an option if he wants it to be high in demand in the transfer market in '24.
There's about a 100% chance that the offense will go down from this year, so there's no fair comparison. But they still could be really good by any other measure, especially with Wierman putting the ball on the tee and a possible legendary defense behind them.
Coach will adapt to the personnel, and Maltz will be a huge part of it. He would have been a 20+ goal scorer on any team in the country this year (including Maryland if he got the run).
Murphy looks like one of the best pure shooters in the country, similar to Connor Kelly or Ryan Brown from our feeder school JHU. The only unknown is how he handles possibly getting the top pole each week, but he could have 50+ goals in him next year.
Malever and Long will be relied on to take that next step up the all-american ladder.
Brennan and Jack Koras could join them as well. So that's a lot of good experience returning right there.
Then there's a lot of rising talent in Kelly, Tucker, Siracusa and C. Koras could step up into major roles as well.
And finally, the 2 guys Tillman mentioned as scout team stars- Spanos and Whittier.

Lots of dudes will need to take a step up from this year for the Terps to Remain the Best, but this group looks potentially as good as any other Terp offense besides '17, '22 and probably '16. I'd guess maybe a 3 goal dropoff from '22, which is not really fair to the '22 team because they could have averaged 4 more goals per game if they played the final 10 minutes 100%). But again, with Luke and the defense, that could still be a 5 goal average differential vs the opponents. We'll see, it's not easy repeating.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

keno in reno wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:12 pm
There's about a 100% chance that the offense will go down from this year, so there's no fair comparison. But they still could be really good by any other measure, especially with Wierman putting the ball on the tee and a possible legendary defense behind them.
Coach will adapt to the personnel, and Maltz will be a huge part of it. He would have been a 20+ goal scorer on any team in the country this year (including Maryland if he got the run).
Murphy looks like one of the best pure shooters in the country, similar to Connor Kelly or Ryan Brown from our feeder school JHU. The only unknown is how he handles possibly getting the top pole each week, but he could have 50+ goals in him next year.
Malever and Long will be relied on to take that next step up the all-american ladder.
Brennan and Jack Koras could join them as well. So that's a lot of good experience returning right there.
Then there's a lot of rising talent in Kelly, Tucker, Siracusa and C. Koras could step up into major roles as well.
And finally, the 2 guys Tillman mentioned as scout team stars- Spanos and Whittier.

Lots of dudes will need to take a step up from this year for the Terps to Remain the Best, but this group looks potentially as good as any other Terp offense besides '17, '22 and probably '16. I'd guess maybe a 3 goal dropoff from '22, which is not really fair to the '22 team because they could have averaged 4 more goals per game if they played the final 10 minutes 100%). But again, with Luke and the defense, that could still be a 5 goal average differential vs the opponents. We'll see, it's not easy repeating.
Totally agree with you. Except one thing - the defense is going to be stout, but what made this 22 defense special is the shortsticks. We just don't know how they're going to be this year, but you can assume they're not going to be 3 guys drafted into the PLL good.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

PulpExposure wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:15 pm

Totally agree with you. Except one thing - the defense is going to be stout, but what made this 22 defense special is the shortsticks. We just don't know how they're going to be this year, but you can assume they're not going to be 3 guys drafted into the PLL good.
Agreed. Coffman is a great start, but that was an all-time group.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Fall ball will be interesting at College Park. Lots of pieces to move around.

I thought Tillman might get a well deserved rest this summer, but with Benson’s departure, Tillman has to hire someone pronto and start internal meetings.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Lots of talent is available for Tillman and his new OC to work with. It will be interesting to see how the talent is used and whether they try to force the position-less concept or let it occur naturally as the players gain the trust so evident in 2022. All the players mentioned have been in the system for different lengths of time so hopefully it doesn’t take too long. Go Terps.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:45 pm Fall ball will be interesting at College Park. Lots of pieces to move around.

I thought Tillman might get a well deserved rest this summer, but with Benson’s departure, Tillman has to hire someone pronto and start internal meetings.
Tillman has already been out recruiting
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

jff97 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:09 am Incoming goalie Brian Ruppel named first team All-Met by The Baltimore Sun. AJ Larkin on the second team.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/hig ... story.html
Brian Ruppel for receiving the 2022 Kelly Award recognizing him as the most outstanding player in Maryland Division 3A

Eliot Dubick for being named 4A State Player of the Year
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Looked over the Under Armour Underclassmen highlights rosters most players don’t have commitments except for LI. Just about everyone listed is committed. feel like the ‘23 have been under recruited. should be interesting this summer to see if Tillman goes for a big ‘24 class

https://events.r2it.com/lacrosse/UnderA ... Underclass
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Job posting

https://umterps.com/news/2022/6/14/terr ... rosse.aspx

The Assistant Coach for Men's Lacrosse will assist the head coach with the organization, development and implementation of a nationally competitive, NCAA Division I men's lacrosse program. The Assistant Coach will assist in the coordination of recruiting, scouting, coaching, travel coordination, program administration, fundraising and other responsibilities as assigned by the head coach. The Assistant Coach will develop and maintain effective interaction with students, colleagues, university staff, alumni and the general public. Knowledge of and commitment to compliance with all NCAA, Big Ten Conference and University rules and regulations as well as dedication to the full academic development of student-athletes are essential.

Qualifications: Bachelor's degree and a minimum of two (2) years of NCAA Division I collegiate men's lacrosse experience is required. At least two (2) years of coaching experience at the NCAA Division I level is preferred.

Best Consideration Date: Apply by June 20, 2022.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

If Trader plays (and he’s implying that he will), and Maryland lands Tevlin, then the shorties could be Lacey/Coffman/Trader/Tevlin, with Tevlin playing the two-way Fairman role. Tevlin has been called the best two-way mid in division 1. Trader is football-athletic. Lacey and Coffman are known commodities. I have confidence that Tills will get the unit to gel with the rest of the defense. McNaney, Sherrer, Zap, and Makar will all have another year under their belts, so they should all be better than in ‘22. I would love to see Tills put Larkin or Schaller in as the last close defenseman… but if they land Fake, their D could be really, really good.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Sherrer is in the transfer portal

Post by 1766 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:03 pm

If Trader plays (and he’s implying that he will), and Maryland lands Tevlin, then the shorties could be Lacey/Coffman/Trader/Tevlin, with Tevlin playing the two-way Fairman role. Tevlin has been called the best two-way mid in division 1. Trader is football-athletic. Lacey and Coffman are known commodities. I have confidence that Tills will get the unit to gel with the rest of the defense. McNaney, Sherrer, Zap, and Makar will all have another year under their belts, so they should all be better than in ‘22. I would love to see Tills put Larkin or Schaller in as the last close defenseman… but if they land Fake, their D could be really, really good.
I would be very surprised if Tevlin lands at Maryland.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:25 pm Sherrer is in the transfer portal
Sorry - meant Geppert.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

1766 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:00 pm

Yeah? Is he Rutgers bound?

Post by 1766 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:05 pm
1766 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:00 pm

Yeah? Is he Rutgers bound?
I would surprised if he landed there too. You never know and both schools are still in it, but I think there are schools in NC and Indiana that might have the inside track. Info came 10 days ago or so, which is a lifetime in this recruiting stuff. But that's the word going around.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

How Maryland Leveraged Analytics To Help Achieve Perfection

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tion/59880

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”