AreaLax

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by AreaLax »

Bubba sporting his championship season tattoo
https://twitter.com/lacrossenetwork/sta ... 1qOX8vKg1g
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

End of the Chrome Chaos game it looked like all the boys took a picture together! Terps!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

jrn19 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:26 pm I don’t think the job posting was for Bernhardt’s position but yeah, Jast’s track record is strong and all the smoke seems to be with JB
Looks like Vermont other assistant has left. Brian Kavanagh has been removed from website
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

AreaLax wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:19 pm
jrn19 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:26 pm I don’t think the job posting was for Bernhardt’s position but yeah, Jast’s track record is strong and all the smoke seems to be with JB
Looks like Vermont other assistant has left. Brian Kavanagh has been removed from website
That's who it was for
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Interesting now looking forward to next season and what new guys can become regular contributors next year. Without going into a monologue about the incestuous, circular, groupthink recruiting star rating system, it seems assumed that Larkin and Schaller are the true freshman who could contribute next year. But there are at least 2 guys who haven't been mentioned much at all.

George Stamos is "only" a 4 star d-man, but at least in the tape from 1 game last year, the naptown championship which was loaded with high d1 commits, he stood out as the most skilled defensive player. Hard to tell how good he is at just keeping his man away from the goal (like Zap and Makar), but his stickwork and instinct at picking off passes were the best of any defender in the game, and there were higher name players in the game. He seems like a bit like Geppert, who was in hindsight laughably ranked #98, and is obviously one of the most impactful defensive guys in the country now. It wouldn't be surprising if he found the field in any location next year, like Geppert with either a pole or a short stick.

Then there's younger Dubick. It will be really tough to crack the offensive lineup next year, but like his brother, he's as skilled as anyone with the ball in his stick. At least at the club level, he appears to have a broader playmaking skillset than his bro (Eliot has great vision and passing). Size and athleticism may be limiting factors at the Be the Best level, but I mention him because he looks as talented as any higher rated recruit going to other schools this year but he doesn't seem to be mentioned at all.

Sure there are others, including current Terps who take the next step and probably a late transfer or 2, so it will be fun to see the next wave of excellence.
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

Any chance Trader plays???
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Bmk2222 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:37 am Any chance Trader plays???
https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=379764#p379764
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Spots that are locked up are 1G, 1D, 2D, 1LSM, FOGO, and 4/6 on offense for Malever, Murphy, Long, and probably Brennan. So spots contend for at 3D, shortie, 2LSM, 2 starting spots on offense.

Colin Burlace got a lot of the run as the 4D this year and fared well. Was a top recruit in his class. Gotta figure he's a big factor for that last spot, but Larkin can and will be in the mix there. Coffman and the SHU transfer, Lacey, look to have 2 shortie spots, but with Coffman coming off injury and Lacey taking a big step up in comp, you never know. There's spots there; and I think that's where Trader figures in if he does play, essentially taking over Fairman's role from this year and maybe playing some more offense. 2LSM had McDonald do well there when called upon in the Princeton game, but I think Schaller can definitely grab that spot. Offensively there's so much current talent ready in the wings with Koras already being a productive player, Kelly showing flashes this year, and Tucker and Spanos as former high ranked guys on the roster. Maltz obviously still more than capable as well. I don't think I see any of the incoming guys on offense making an impact this year but you never know
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Bmk2222 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:15 pm End of the Chrome Chaos game it looked like all the boys took a picture together! Terps!
This must be the picture
https://twitter.com/terpsmlax/status/15 ... 71aiRBCiNA
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

Absolutely! That’s great.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Wisnauskas nominated for ESPY
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Interesting
jrn19 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:04 pm Mitchell definitely got some interest from Maryland for their OC position and chose to remain at Princeton. Perhaps Georgetown presents a different opportunity but I think he’s happy there

But still plenty of good choices for the Hoyas and I’m sure Warne will make a good hire
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

They talked with him. Don't know if it progressed to an offer or anything like that, I don't believe it did, but they did talk and he's pretty happy at Princeton. He was a candidate when it came open in 2020 too; there's a lot of mutual respect between the two parties. Mitchell coached with Bernhardt at Rutgers as well
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:00 pm They talked with him. Don't know if it progressed to an offer or anything like that, I don't believe it did, but they did talk and he's pretty happy at Princeton. He was a candidate when it came open in 2020 too; there's a lot of mutual respect between the two parties. Mitchell coached with Bernhardt at Rutgers as well
Thanks for the information
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

So we need a OC and a volunteer coach

Per Xander twitter
New @PCFriarsLax head coach Bobby Benson will hire former @TerpsMLax volunteer Carroll Kennedy as Providence’s second assistant, sources tell @Inside_Lacrosse. Prior to Maryland, he coached Hartford (vol.) and Lincoln Memorial (HC) after five seasons as a Limestone assistant.
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

Perhaps I’m biased, but shouldn’t the MD asst be the most desirable asst job in the Nation? Surly seems like a gateway to become a Head coach…..I’m sure we aren’t paying like some other schools (think Navy lol), but what’s a little less pay to know in 2 or 3 years you will be on the road to a Head position?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:50 am So we need a OC and a volunteer coach

Per Xander twitter
New @PCFriarsLax head coach Bobby Benson will hire former @TerpsMLax volunteer Carroll Kennedy as Providence’s second assistant, sources tell @Inside_Lacrosse. Prior to Maryland, he coached Hartford (vol.) and Lincoln Memorial (HC) after five seasons as a Limestone assistant.
That is a huge loss.
terp talk

Post by terp talk »

Wheels
Winning has its price. Assisting the best Coach in the NCAA has its rewards. That's the price of victory. Kevin Warne, Kevin Conry, Ryan Moran, JL Reppert, Bobby Benson and several others have all enjoyed success with Tils and have moved on. What the heck Tillman even lost one Coach --Chris Mattes to Bill Belichick. And yet the best lax team continues to win. No surprise to me.
No worries Tony. Tils is thinking way ahead of us!!!
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Bmk2222 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:17 pm Perhaps I’m biased, but shouldn’t the MD asst be the most desirable asst job in the Nation? Surly seems like a gateway to become a Head coach…..I’m sure we aren’t paying like some other schools (think Navy lol), but what’s a little less pay to know in 2 or 3 years you will be on the road to a Head position?
It’s kind of a no-win job at this point. If the new OC can’t sustain the level of performance of the Terps offense, or is perceived as not being up to Benson’s standard, the blame will fall on him. But if the new OC can maintain that standard, he probably won’t get the credit he deserves (“hey, Tillman can win no matter who the OC is”). And the one constant these last 12 seasons of excellence is of course Tillman.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

terp talk wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:17 pm Wheels
Winning has its price. Assisting the best Coach in the NCAA has its rewards. That's the price of victory. Kevin Warne, Kevin Conry, Ryan Moran, JL Reppert, Bobby Benson and several others have all enjoyed success with Tils and have moved on. What the heck Tillman even lost one Coach --Chris Mattes to Bill Belichick. And yet the best lax team continues to win. No surprise to me.
No worries Tony. Tils is thinking way ahead of us!!!
No doubt Tills is the constant, and he'll keep the program at the top. Kennedy was instrumental in Wierman's growth. It's interesting that Tills's national titles came when his FOGO coaches were really good. The drop off when Mattes left was noticeable until Kennedy came. Those volunteer coaching spots are hard to fill. But you're right...Tills will get it right.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”