Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wahoomurf

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by wahoomurf »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:42 pm I attended the fall ball scrimmage today. For various reasons, Aiden Blake, J.J. Lombardi, Chayse Irelan, Mike Long & Gavin Adler did not play, so the quality of the Big Red team was not exhibited today. While starters were playing, the Terps were ahead 7-5 into the 3rd quarter. The final score was 13-5 including a 5th quarter in which time was continuous. I didn't do much analyzing - just enjoyed the scrimmage and seeing friends, so my comments below are somewhat vague. I note that Walker Wallace was playing long stick defense and played on the wing sometimes on faceoffs. A formidable presence. Angelo Petrakis held his own at the X. Spencer Wertheim and Alex Holmes played a lot and Billy Coyle played attack with CJ Kirst and Ben Abladian. Hugh Kelleher looked good - he and CJ scored. I think CJ had 2 goals and Hugh had 1. Jack Follows had a couple caused turnovers. Jack, Gavin & Chayse will be one of the best defense trios in 2023. Wyatt Knust is a good goalie. He played the first half. Jack Cascadden took a few faceoffs and looked good as did Mark Psyllos. Jack is a large presence. Chris Davis & Mike Bozzi played a lot and looked good. I think Antonio Topouzis scored. He is quick! Andrew Dalton had a lot of action. When everyone is getting action, the Big Red will have a great attack with effective backups, two middie lines that are scoring threats and effective long stick defense and goalie. The short stick D-middies will be the issue on D. No doubt, our coaches have a plan. GBR!
Did Staub get some playing time? Hope he isn't injured.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

wahoomurf wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:44 am
another fan wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:11 pm Notre Dame did pretty well with Pat Walsh from Wantagh a number of years ago. I think they have been a pretty solid mid level program for awhile, but also do not follow very closely.
Pat Walsh played for Wantagh. I'm curious why his name was mentioned on the Cornell thread. :?
It was in connection with a reference to a Cornell '24 recruit from Wantagh.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Chousnake wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:56 am
wahoomurf wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:44 am
another fan wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:11 pm Notre Dame did pretty well with Pat Walsh from Wantagh a number of years ago. I think they have been a pretty solid mid level program for awhile, but also do not follow very closely.
Pat Walsh played for Wantagh. I'm curious why his name was mentioned on the Cornell thread. :?
It was in connection with a reference to a Cornell '24 recruit from Wantagh.
See last post on p 11 of the thread
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

wahoomurf wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:51 am
laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:42 pm I attended the fall ball scrimmage today. For various reasons, Aiden Blake, J.J. Lombardi, Chayse Irelan, Mike Long & Gavin Adler did not play, so the quality of the Big Red team was not exhibited today. While starters were playing, the Terps were ahead 7-5 into the 3rd quarter. The final score was 13-5 including a 5th quarter in which time was continuous. I didn't do much analyzing - just enjoyed the scrimmage and seeing friends, so my comments below are somewhat vague. I note that Walker Wallace was playing long stick defense and played on the wing sometimes on faceoffs. A formidable presence. Angelo Petrakis held his own at the X. Spencer Wertheim and Alex Holmes played a lot and Billy Coyle played attack with CJ Kirst and Ben Abladian. Hugh Kelleher looked good - he and CJ scored. I think CJ had 2 goals and Hugh had 1. Jack Follows had a couple caused turnovers. Jack, Gavin & Chayse will be one of the best defense trios in 2023. Wyatt Knust is a good goalie. He played the first half. Jack Cascadden took a few faceoffs and looked good as did Mark Psyllos. Jack is a large presence. Chris Davis & Mike Bozzi played a lot and looked good. I think Antonio Topouzis scored. He is quick! Andrew Dalton had a lot of action. When everyone is getting action, the Big Red will have a great attack with effective backups, two middie lines that are scoring threats and effective long stick defense and goalie. The short stick D-middies will be the issue on D. No doubt, our coaches have a plan. GBR!
I don't know Brendan's health status now or then. I haven't heard anything about him at the fall scrimmage. We are certainly counting on him to make a significant impact this Spring.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Another 24 recruit, Logan Missett, LSM/D, LaSalle College HS, PA. Recruiting in the Philadelphia area continues to be strong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBq_IKH6668
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztQK9efpUsA&t=81s
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

If 33 in this photo is Staub, he played in the fall ball. The other two frosh in the article are shortsticks, so...

https://cornellbigred.com/news/2022/10/ ... kings.aspx
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Gobigred wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:35 am
If 33 in this photo is Staub, he played in the fall ball. The other two frosh in the article are shortsticks, so...

Thanks, GBR.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

FYI

https://www.boiardifoundation.org/21-run

Happy Thanksgiving from the Mario St. George Boiardi Foundation! We hope that you are getting ready for a relaxing start to the holiday season.

We are in the midst of the 18th annual 21 Run and have extended it through Thanksgiving weekend -- we hope you will help us continue this great tradition! You can participate by making any purchase on our webstore or by making any donation to the Foundation, and then running or walking a 5k course close to your home. The details can be found here or at the bottom of this email. This event is held in conjunction with Cornell Lacrosse and the Family Reading Partnership of Ithaca, and we want to express our gratitude to the Cornell Lacrosse's players and coaches for making the 21 Run possible!

Beyond the 21 Run, we also want to take a moment to thank all of you for the support we have received over the past year. These contributions have enabled us to direct over $40,000 to charitable work in the year ending June 30th, 2022. This included continued support for Teach for America and the Family Reading Partnership in Ithaca (including as a co-sponsor of their books to grow on program), as well as renewed support for CityLax. We also continued to grow our decade-long partnership with Harlem Lacrosse and Trilogy Lacrosse to sponsor students attending summer camp, which you can learn more about in this short video!

Sincerely,

The Mario St. George Boiardi Foundation

The 21 Run is a family-friendly 5k run/walk that is organized in conjunction with the Cornell University Men’s Lacrosse program and the Family Reading Partnership of Ithaca, with the proceeds shared with the Family Reading Partnership.

How to Participate:
1. REGISTER: Make a donation --OR-- Buy 21 Run gear
2. RUN/WALK: any 5k course by 11/28/2022
3. READ: a story to a child
4. SHARE: a photo of your 21 Run or Read (tag us @msgbfoundation on Instagram or post under the Boiardi Foundation STRAVA Club page)
5. POST: your Virtual 21 Run on the official event page or in STRAVA

Participate with STRAVA
1. Join the official Boiardi Foundation STRAVA Club
2. Run/walk your 5K any time between now and November 21, 2021
3. Afterwards name your activity the “Virtual 21 Run” so others in the Foundation Club can see your run
4. Tag the Foundation club in your post
5. Add pictures from your run/walk wearing 21 Run gear on Strava or Instagram

The Mario St. George Boiardi Foundation is a tax-exempt organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (Tax I.D. 26-1141871), and contributions are tax-deducible to the extent allowed by law.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Gobigred wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:35 am

Yes that is Staub
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Quick shout out to Cornell football for a better than expected .500 season, and 12 All-Ivy selections. The team played really well in close games against Harvard and Penn. For the resources the University allocates to football compared to its Ivy rivals, this is a good result.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

duplicate
another fan

Post by another fan »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/slidesho ... ?slide=all

Blake #44, Kelleher #50

I wonder who will join them on the first line. Lombardi, if healthy? Coyle (expect him to see time at attack, as well)? Wirtheim? Dalton (could see time at d mid)?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

My son and I just drafted wirtheim late so hoping he might beat abladian out.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

We have a new A.D., effective in January: https://news.cornell.edu/preview-link/n ... 3ed7eb6785
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

another fan wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:18 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/slidesho ... ?slide=all

Blake #44, Kelleher #50

I wonder who will join them on the first line. Lombardi, if healthy? Coyle (expect him to see time at attack, as well)? Wirtheim? Dalton (could see time at d mid)?
IL is down to #11 so far with no other Cornell players listed. I would expect both Kirst and Adler to be in the top 10.
another fan

Post by another fan »

IL has posted their top 10-- Kirst and Adler are 5 and 4
CU88

Post by CU88 »

VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

I recently finished reading Christian Swezey's "We Showed Baltimore." It's highly unusual for me to read what I'll call a sports book, so my expectations were modest.
With the above positioning aside -- what a great read. In particular for anyone who attended Cornell (during the late 60's or 70's), has visited the campus, or been a supporter of Cornell Lacrosse. Even non-affiliated lacrosse fans.
So many great stories & memories, many of which I vividly remember.
I'm sure I found the collective Big Red accomplishments even more profound, given the passing of Coach Moran and a number Cornell players from what Swezey refers to as the lacrosse revolution of the 1970's.
I couldn't recommend the book more highly.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:33 am I recently finished reading Christian Swezey's "We Showed Baltimore." It's highly unusual for me to read what I'll call a sports book, so my expectations were modest.
With the above positioning aside -- what a great read. In particular for anyone who attended Cornell (during the late 60's or 70's), has visited the campus, or been a supporter of Cornell Lacrosse. Even non-affiliated lacrosse fans.
So many great stories & memories, many of which I vividly remember.
I'm sure I found the collective Big Red accomplishments even more profound, given the passing of Coach Moran and a number Cornell players from what Swezey refers to as the lacrosse revolution of the 1970's.
I couldn't recommend the book more highly.
I read it right after the tournament ended in May. It was very good and quite nostalgic. It was very enjoyable from my perspective as a Cornell grad, but I would think any lax fan would like it.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Cornell's 2023 Lax schedule is now on the Athletic Department's website.
The out-of-conference schedule includes Colgate/H, Albany/A, Lehigh/H, Hobart/A, Ohio State/A, Penn State/H, Marquette/H, and Army/A.
One (very) notable exception - no Syracuse. I can only assume that there were scheduling challenges (i.e., available dates for non-conference games) and that neither team would agree to the other's alternative dates.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”