Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxjuris

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by laxjuris »

another fan wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:55 pm Looks like Hugh Kelleher joined the Oakville Buzz JR. A team a few weeks ago. Henry and Jack Follows also play for the Buzz, as do Michael and incoming Brian Jackman. Lombardi joined them in a past year.
https://www.oakvillebuzz.com/roster22.php
That should be great for enhancing Kelleher’s ability to play in tight spaces and make quicker decisions.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Speaking of Hugh Kelleher, I see that Drew Kelleher has become the new HC of U. Mass. Lowell lacrosse. Does anyone reading this know if there's a relation between the two?
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

another fan wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:15 pm
Ezra White wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:44 pm Thanks VRR. Very thoughtful and insightful, as usual.

Earlier I posted my tentative opinion about Charlie Box. IMHO, he has great potential as an ssom, but because he lacks the size of someone like Kelleher, he has to rely on his quickness and skill. Currently he's too one-dimensional to do this in the college game because he favors his right-handed shot and blows by people almost always by going to his right.

This said, he's an anachronism in that he plays as a 2-way middie. (Tho, 2-way middies seem to be coming back.) If I were the coach, I'd encourage him to work on diversifying his attacking skills, and in the meantime give him playing time as a ssdm. (Or maybe even lsdm.) Who knows, he's about the same size as Gavin Adler, and if you watch him on film, he's an attacking defender very much like Adler. Perhaps he could become the Adler of our midfield (but with the upside of being a major scoring threat). We could do a lot worse.

What do others think?

(Oh, one other thing. Syracuse supposedly has the #1 recruiting class coming in next year. Hopefully we'll play them early, before their new recruits gain maturity.)
Your premise that Charlie Box is one handed is not really accurate. Check out the highlights against Crestwood where he had 5 goals, 2 with his off hand that showed a smooth release and good velocity. He is smaller, but plays bigger and is a good prospect for time as an offensive or defensive mid.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/11186590/Charlie-Box
AF thank you for this link. The target page actually includes several videos of Charlie's exploits. And I could see him using his left hand and dodging left. So, my criticism may have been too strong. I still think Charlie tends to favor his right hand and beating his defender by going right, but if opposing players watch film and expect him to dodge right, perhaps he could use such expectations to his advantage by recognizing the pattern and then roll-dodging to his left.

Also, long ago, a soccer coach said to me: "[A professional player whose name I don't remember] over-relies on his right foot, but what a right foot!" The coach's point was that while we teach players to use both feet, some exceptionally talented players can be great without using both.

For a painful example, consider how in the championship game this year, Maryland's Anthony DeMaio killed us by scoring three in a row, all with left-handed shots. But he was very versatile with them: first running by his marker and scoring from in close, then shooting a sidearm zinger from a distance and beating Ierlan to his lower right, and then another zinger from about the same spot, but this time beating Chase to his upper left. DeMaio just needed a great left hand and some help from his friends. (On the first goal as he beats his man, Wisnauskas feeds him the ball; on the second, the attack has the ball on the right side of the box, drawing the defense over, and then Long sends DeMaio a long pass across the restraining box, to where he's alone on the left and can shoot freely; on the third, Wisnauskas feeds the ball to attackman Daniel Maltz, who's running away from the goal, this draws the defender to him, and he then flips the ball to a waiting DeMaio, who's again unmarked and free to shoot.)
CU88

Post by CU88 »

The Lacrosse Network | TLN
161K subscribers
Rob Pannell is one of the best lacrosse players ever. Over the years, he has embraced the rewards, responsibilities, and challenges that come along with being a full-time professional lacrosse player. He’s lived the life of a pro athlete and became an early adopter of social media – which have led to him becoming one of the most misunderstood players in the game. We visited him in New York City to tell his story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRPxmkeoZhg
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

A new 2023 recruit, Willem Firth, a lefty Canadian attackman from the Hill Academy: https://youtu.be/kDxTyXXioUA.

Firth is having a monster season with the Toronto Beaches in the Ontario junior indoor league this summer. Someone on the Syracuse lax forum posted today, “Firth is a stud, committed to Cornell today.”
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

laxjuris wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:03 pm A new 2023 recruit, Willem Firth, a lefty Canadian attackman from the Hill Academy: https://youtu.be/kDxTyXXioUA.

Firth is having a monster season with the Toronto Beaches in the Ontario junior indoor league this summer. Someone on the Syracuse lax forum posted today, “Firth is a stud, committed to Cornell today.”
That would be a major pick up !
Call it The Buczek Effect.
A lot of people have been Jones-ing for that kid.

Stamper, with a good write up on Firth,

Firth hasn't even committed to a college yet; competition for the 18-year-old is intense. It looks like he will probably be draft eligible in 2027. So consider this a way early launch to my prospect coverage for those years.

Firth may not have quite the same initial wow factor, but the more you watch him play the more impressive he is. Firth has great vision and touch, making him an excellent facilitator.

Not that I'm saying they will be the next coming of these players, but for stylistic comparisons you could say a righty Josh Byrne for Sheehan and Jeff Teat for Firth.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... oad-/59867
another fan

Post by another fan »

Pretty strong offensive class shaping up for 23: Nikolic, Gilmartin, Waldman, Goldstein, Lamb, Hughes, Firth. 22s were heavy on the defensive end.

Don't discount Stevens role in recruiting,et al. He and Buczek are cut from the same cloth-- former great Cornell players,bright and articulate, excellent coaches and recruiters. Let's hope we can hold onto both.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Agreed on Stevens. His influence and contribution should not be underestimated or overshadowed.
I'm told by a reliable source that his game prep and overall work ethic is off the charts.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

The league also announced Jeff Teat of the New York Riptide as Rookie of the Year as well as members of the First Team All-League, Second Team All-League and All-Rookie teams.
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

In the news today.... because of one complaint, Cornell has removed the Bust of Lincoln and the Gettysburg Address from it's library. Wow!
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

SMAIN wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:31 pm In the news today.... because of one complaint, Cornell has removed the Bust of Lincoln and the Gettysburg Address from it's library. Wow!
As so many things that appear in the right-wing outrage machine, that story may not be all it purports to be. I contacted President Pollack’s office about this issue and here’s the response I received from one of her staff:

Thank you for your email. As you may have read, President Lincoln’s bust was part of a temporary exhibit on the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address. The bust was on display in the Rare and Manuscript Collections from 2013 to 2021.

We currently have a statue of Lincoln on display in Uris library and have a digital facsimile of the Gettysburg Address in Lincoln’s handwriting on permanent display. We are proud to house many extraordinary Lincoln treasures, all available for research, including one of the five known copies of the Gettysburg Address in Lincoln’s handwriting; one of 14 manuscript copies of the 13th Amendment with the original signatures of Lincoln and members of Congress who voted for it; and five online exhibitions that feature Lincoln. The original copy of the Address is kept in careful and secure conditions to ensure it is conserved properly.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

laxjuris wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:53 pm
SMAIN wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:31 pm In the news today.... because of one complaint, Cornell has removed the Bust of Lincoln and the Gettysburg Address from it's library. Wow!
As so many things that appear in the right-wing outrage machine, that story may not be all it purports to be. I contacted President Pollack’s office about this issue and here’s the response I received from one of her staff:

Thank you for your email. As you may have read, President Lincoln’s bust was part of a temporary exhibit on the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address. The bust was on display in the Rare and Manuscript Collections from 2013 to 2021.

We currently have a statue of Lincoln on display in Uris library and have a digital facsimile of the Gettysburg Address in Lincoln’s handwriting on permanent display. We are proud to house many extraordinary Lincoln treasures, all available for research, including one of the five known copies of the Gettysburg Address in Lincoln’s handwriting; one of 14 manuscript copies of the 13th Amendment with the original signatures of Lincoln and members of Congress who voted for it; and five online exhibitions that feature Lincoln. The original copy of the Address is kept in careful and secure conditions to ensure it is conserved properly.
;)

Sure sounded like an over reaction with a likely back story that wasn't as being reported. It'll be interesting to learn what "complaint" had or had not been registered with regard to the temporary exhibit. It may have been that the original document shouldn't be left out beyond its intended display period, should be better protected from light, etc.

If so, yes, right wing outrage machine doing its typical baloney.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Samhain is back. Where you been at?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Can you please share the article where you saw this news?

The one thing that sturck me most of this post was "...it's library." LOL
Imagine anyone of basic education thinking that Cornell has a singlular library.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

CU88 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:13 am

Imagine anyone of basic education thinking that Cornell has a singlular library.
It apparently hit right wing media 4 days ago, just in time for CU to have to address over the July 4 weekend (can you imagine the pain in the neck with most folks off for the weekend?)...https://nypost.com/2022/06/29/cornell-r ... m-library/

On its face, looked rather silly to me.

They definitely haven't done anything remotely like SMAIN's claim.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:22 am

It apparently hit right wing media 4 days ago, just in time for CU to have to address over the July 4 weekend (can you imagine the pain in the neck with most folks off for the weekend?)...https://nypost.com/2022/06/29/cornell-r ... m-library/

Thanks, I should have guessed the NY Post...
lorin

Post by lorin »

CU88 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:31 am

Yes if it was the NY Times of course its true.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

lorin wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:08 am
CU88 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:31 am

Yes if it was the NY Times of course its true.
Well, the NYT of course makes errors. But unlike the NY Post, the Times doesn’t simply regurgitate Breitbart without doing further research.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Hey, this is the D1 mens lacrosse forum. Please take all this non-lax stuff to the politics forum where it belongs.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

How many libraries does Cornell have on its campus? I’ve been on the campus probably 50x in my life including tours but never really paid attention as it was never a need.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”