Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ezra White

Cornell 2023

Post by Ezra White »

With the usual caveats about high-school player ratings, Inside Lacrosse ranks Cornell's incoming class #9 in the country, with only the usual suspects rated 1-8. Princeton is the only Ivy ranked higher than Cornell, but Harvard is #10.

IL's rankings are based on its player ratings. Cornell's is 3.90, ND's is 3.91, and Duke, NC, and Princeton are all 4.00. I don't think this is a linear metric, and I wouldn't make too much of a difference of 0.1. Even UVA, #1 with a class average of 4.33 is not that far above.

OTOH, IL gives player stars, ranging from 3 to 5. Ranked by total stars Cornell is tied with UVA & Harvard with 39. Syracuse is far ahead of the pack with 57, and MD, ND, Navy, & UNC have 46, 43, 43, and 40 respectively. By comparison, Princeton has 6 incoming recruits for 24 stars total, whereas Cornell has 10 starred recruits.

Personally, I'd want to give added weight to the two most important positions in contemporary lacrosse: GK & FOGO. Interestingly, both Princeton & Cornell have only one 5-star recruit, both FOGOs: Andrew McMeekin (Princeton) and Jack Cascadden. IL rates both as "90."

Here's what IL says about McMeekin:
Might have been one of the best athletes on the field as a FOGO. Showed the ability to win it forward and create instant offense.

Has the potential to play some offense as well as he could certainly be used in the two-man game involving the opposing FOGO if they can keep him trapped on the field. Overall, a very impressive weekend at the IL ID X.
and about Cascadden:
Cascadden was not only the most dominant face-off man in attendance — he was also the most impressive player at the event that I had yet to see live until last week. He’s at least 6-foot-2 and 210 pounds and excelled during positional work before shining in every game, using both the ‘knee-down’ and ‘standing neutral grip’ (the new rules) techniques.

Whenever an opposing face-off man had a strong performance, facing Cascadden soon became a measuring stick of sorts, and the Garden City rising junior owned every match-up and won the ball forward more often than not. [Joewillie will be glad to know] His father, Chad, played linebacker for the New York Jets, so it was no surprise to learn that Cascadden is a football standout for one of Long Island's best programs. Finishing with an event-high of 41 groundballs in addition to three points, he's excellent once the ball is in his stick and a threat to score. Having seen what he can do while going SNG, I'd feel awfully good about him panning out if and when the rules go through.
Oh, I can hardly wait to see these two against each other next year! I also want to see what Buczek can do with Cascadden and Kelleher on the field simultaneously. Ouch!
10stone5

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by 10stone5 »

Charlie Box - I know a little,
not exactly large,

but definitely the driver getting his team, a Marple Newtown PA
team that usually isn’t in the state title talk,

into this year’s PA state title tournament.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Ezra White wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:02 pm With the usual caveats about high-school player ratings, Inside Lacrosse ranks Cornell's incoming class #9 in the country, with only the usual suspects rated 1-8. Princeton is the only Ivy ranked higher than Cornell, but Harvard is #10.

IL's rankings are based on its player ratings. Cornell's is 3.90, ND's is 3.91, and Duke, NC, and Princeton are all 4.00. I don't think this is a linear metric, and I wouldn't make too much of a difference of 0.1. Even UVA, #1 with a class average of 4.33 is not that far above.

OTOH, IL gives player stars, ranging from 3 to 5. Ranked by total stars Cornell is tied with UVA & Harvard with 39. Syracuse is far ahead of the pack with 57, and MD, ND, Navy, & UNC have 46, 43, 43, and 40 respectively. By comparison, Princeton has 6 incoming recruits for 24 stars total, whereas Cornell has 10 starred recruits.

Personally, I'd want to give added weight to the two most important positions in contemporary lacrosse: GK & FOGO. Interestingly, both Princeton & Cornell have only one 5-star recruit, both FOGOs: Andrew McMeekin (Princeton) and Jack Cascadden. IL rates both as "90."

Here's what IL says about McMeekin:
Might have been one of the best athletes on the field as a FOGO. Showed the ability to win it forward and create instant offense.

Has the potential to play some offense as well as he could certainly be used in the two-man game involving the opposing FOGO if they can keep him trapped on the field. Overall, a very impressive weekend at the IL ID X.
and about Cascadden:
Cascadden was not only the most dominant face-off man in attendance — he was also the most impressive player at the event that I had yet to see live until last week. He’s at least 6-foot-2 and 210 pounds and excelled during positional work before shining in every game, using both the ‘knee-down’ and ‘standing neutral grip’ (the new rules) techniques.

Whenever an opposing face-off man had a strong performance, facing Cascadden soon became a measuring stick of sorts, and the Garden City rising junior owned every match-up and won the ball forward more often than not. [Joewillie will be glad to know] His father, Chad, played linebacker for the New York Jets, so it was no surprise to learn that Cascadden is a football standout for one of Long Island's best programs. Finishing with an event-high of 41 groundballs in addition to three points, he's excellent once the ball is in his stick and a threat to score. Having seen what he can do while going SNG, I'd feel awfully good about him panning out if and when the rules go through.
Oh, I can hardly wait to see these two against each other next year! I also want to see what Buczek can do with Cascadden and Kelleher on the field simultaneously. Ouch!
Kelleher needs to put work in this off season, needs to work on foot work , lefty shot, going down hill will only take u so far.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Cornell is going to be loaded next year. Adler back is a huge positive - that guy is such a disruptive force at defense. I love watching him play when I get to see him. Overall, Cornell's defense played Maryland's offense better than anyone I can recall in recent history.

And while Piatelli leaving is going to hurt, imho the inside finisher role of the three is the easiest attack role to replace for Cornell. Look am I saying Piatelli's replacement will have 60 plus goals or whatever? Absolutely not. But Long and Kirst back means you have the X quarterback and the alpha attackman...and the attack will be lethal.
Lager

Post by Lager »

It is downright scary to think about how good Cornell can be next year. Cornell will have TWO first team all American caliber defenders in follows and Adler. If singer, who is fast and big and was a fairly highly rated recruit, can come along, the defense could be incredible. Long and Kirst will spearhead another terrific attack unit. A midfield unit of a fully healthy and revitalized Blake, a more refined Kelleher, and Wirtheim (who showed me he has some explosiveness and ability to create his own shot late in the season) could also be fantastic. Also, Holmes could be a future star as well.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Okay another fan -- the pressure is on. We're awaiting your '23 and '24 recruiting analysis!
Here's one thought about replacing Piatelli. It will not be easy --- 66 goals + the guy was unusually good off the ground for an attackmen. Also, it's doing him a disservice to refer to him as a crease attackmen. That's not really his game.
I'd like to see Lombardi moved (back) to attack where he dominated in HS at Salisbury. He was an excellent x-dodger (low center of gravity and strong upper body strength), good wing dodger, good passer, and a great intermediate range shot (great high to low, with lots of whip). IMO he would be a great compliment to Long and Kirst, and our mids should be strong enough to facilitate his move to attack.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

PulpExposure wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:25 am Cornell is going to be loaded next year. Adler back is a huge positive - that guy is such a disruptive force at defense. I love watching him play when I get to see him. Overall, Cornell's defense played Maryland's offense better than anyone I can recall in recent history.

And while Piatelli leaving is going to hurt, imho the inside finisher role of the three is the easiest attack role to replace for Cornell. Look am I saying Piatelli's replacement will have 60 plus goals or whatever? Absolutely not. But Long and Kirst back means you have the X quarterback and the alpha attackman...and the attack will be lethal.
Did Adler withdraw at some point? Just wondering. Glad he’s back. I have met his mom a few times. Very nice. He’s an easy kid to root for.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:56 am
PulpExposure wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:25 am Cornell is going to be loaded next year. Adler back is a huge positive - that guy is such a disruptive force at defense. I love watching him play when I get to see him. Overall, Cornell's defense played Maryland's offense better than anyone I can recall in recent history.

Did Adler withdraw at some point? Just wondering. Glad he’s back. I have met his mom a few times. Very nice. He’s an easy kid to root for.
I saw him interviewed, and he mentioned that he had another year. My interpretation was that he'd withdrawn during Covid, but I don't know if that's correct.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

My understanding is a majority of players took off at least a semester to preserve an additional year of eligibility. That includes Long, who will have 2 years left, and Kirst and Kelleher, who will have 3. The other Ivies apparently have a similar situation, so the league will continue to be a gauntlet for years to come.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

laxjuris wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:45 am

My understanding is a majority of players took off at least a semester to preserve an additional year of eligibility. That includes Long, who will have 2 years left, and Kirst and Kelleher, who will have 3. The other Ivies apparently have a similar situation, so the league will continue to be a gauntlet for years to come.
Thanks. Handley has another year also. The senior classification threw me off. I thought students had to take a year off? Could be school by school.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

laxjuris wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:45 am ... so the league will continue to be a gauntlet for years to come.
Well, not just in returning talent, but coaching, too. Quietly, the IL has assembled an unmatched stable of HCs and coaching staffs. The league is 6 deep and Dartmouth is right there, waiting to enter the fray in earnest.

If the Ivies maintain all of this coaching talent, the league is going to be an absolute monster over the next decade or so. I mean, as good as they were this year, I think Byrne, Daly and, yes, Buczek are just getting started. That's firghtening.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

I don't recall where, but Ierlan also said he was planning to come back next year.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

ICGrad wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:04 am
laxjuris wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:45 am ... so the league will continue to be a gauntlet for years to come.
Well, not just in returning talent, but coaching, too. Quietly, the IL has assembled an unmatched stable of HCs and coaching staffs. The league is 6 deep and Dartmouth is right there, waiting to enter the fray in earnest.

If the Ivies maintain all of this coaching talent, the league is going to be an absolute monster over the next decade or so. I mean, as good as they were this year, I think Byrne, Daly and, yes, Buczek are just getting started. That's firghtening.

Is there a reason why Columbia doesn’t have a lacrosse team? I’d think they could attract some very good talent. Is this Title XI?
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:50 am

Is there a reason why Columbia doesn’t have a lacrosse team? I’d think they could attract some very good talent. Is this Title XI?
Columbia just does not have a sports culture. Think NYU or U of Chicago, but in the Ivy League.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:07 am Here's one thought about replacing Piatelli. It will not be easy --- 66 goals + the guy was unusually good off the ground for an attackmen. Also, it's doing him a disservice to refer to him as a crease attackmen. That's not really his game.
I'd like to see Lombardi moved (back) to attack where he dominated in HS at Salisbury. He was an excellent x-dodger (low center of gravity and strong upper body strength), good wing dodger, good passer, and a great intermediate range shot (great high to low, with lots of whip). IMO he would be a great compliment to Long and Kirst, and our mids should be strong enough to facilitate his move to attack.
No it won't be easy at all. 60 goals is an absurd number, as is the veteran leadership he brought. But if you had to lose him, your x quarterback, or Kirst...he's the one most replaceable. Because Long and Kirst will draw the most attention.

There's a reason the Terps had Rahill on him for most of the game, and not Makar (Kirst) or Zappitello (Long).
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Chousnake wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:06 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:50 am

Columbia just does not have a sports culture. Think NYU or U of Chicago, but in the Ivy League.
Even their “local” BBQ is whack. Dinosaur BBQ = overrated
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
another fan

Post by another fan »

Yes, the future is very bright for Cornell. We saw how well the team was playing at year end, and while there are some significant losses, depth, recruits, and another year of experience should bode well for next season. Of players who saw the field with some regularity, it looks like Piatelli, Bardwell, Doria, Licciardi, Bartolotto and Wolf are gone. Thank you again to all departing players, and good luck moving forward. Doria and Bartolotto were both very solid, unsung contributors, but I think they can be replaced with a very solid returning defensive core and a very good recruiting class, particularly on the defensive end. Licciardi was strong in many ways, but was not a regular threat to score. Wolf was hampered by injuries and contributed part time on the second midfield line later in his career. Piatelli and Bardwell are the biggest losses in my mind. Looking to 2023:

Attack: Long and Kirst are a great duo. Piatelli was not just a prolific scorer, but a part of a relentless ride, great on ground balls and a leader. Replacing him will be a challenge. Caddigan was a prolific scorer at Smithtown West, played on emo here, but is largely a finisher. I like VRR's suggestion of returning a hopefully healthy and returning Lombardi to his more natural attack position. Coyle and Wirtheim were also HS attackers, but are big midfield contributors now. There are three incoming freshmen attack. Bowie Horsman, from a subpar Hill Academy team, Matthew Perfetto from Manhassett, and Brian Luzzi rom Bethpage, LI, and a flip from Stony Brook who is not listed on the IL recruiting list. Horsman is a lanky, athletic kid with a good stick and finishing skills around the goal, but I don't think he is ready yet for early PT. Perfetto is a quick X attack who could back up Long, a gap we noticed when Long was out with injury. Luzzi may have the most potential to contribute early. His team was very average with only one other real scoring threat. Luzzi got all the attention, and still scored nearly half the team's goals, including strong performances against the best teams on their schedule. He is a very good intermediate range shooter and has a knack for getting off his shot quickly and without the need for a lot of separation. He's a lefty, though and we have a great left attack in Kirst.

Midfield: Injuries to Blake and Lombardi forced us to dig deep, and we were rewarded with a rapidly improving second line. Kelleher and Blake are a great start on a first line. Kelleher will diversify his game but the sky is the limit, And a healthy Blake will be a great threat, including outside shooting which we sometimes sorely missed. I like Coyle with them on the first line, particularly when he does not feel pressured to pick up the slack on longer range outside shooting. The second line showed good chemistry and can only improve. Wirtheim has come the furthest. Holmes has good size and the speed to separate. I'd like to see him work on both velocity and accuracy when shooting on the run. Sheehan, for awhile looked like he was playing not to make mistakes. However, he flashed some dodging ability and a hard shot, so with this year under his belt could be a pleasant surprise. Dalton also showed some life late in the season playing on the faceoff wing. Incoming freshman mids include two siblings of former players-- Anthony Bartolotto and Brian Jackman. Bartolotto was a good scorer and played like his brother-- not the biggest or fastest, but a great motor. I have not seen much of Jackman, but he is big, average speed, good stick and shot, one-handed and probably not ready yet. Charlie Box from PA is very interesting-- great athlete and all-around player, potentially limited only by his size, but an eventual candidate as either a short stick or O-Mid.

Short sticks: Bardwell is a big loss for his tireless defense, wing play, clearing, etc. But Davis, who is a break out young star, Miller and Bozzi return. The last two really grew into the position and were playing their best ball late in the season. As mentioned above, Dalton was getting late season wing play experience. I had certainly thought of him as an offensive player coming in, but perhaps he is a candidate for the short stick rotation. As mentioned above, Box may also be a candidate. A somewhat out of the box possibility is Cascadden. Recruited as a dominant fogo, he is another Kelleher physically and athletically, having won the Thorp award as the outstanding football player in Nassau County. Normally a highly recruited fogo would not run midfield shifts, but Petrakis seemed to be regaining his mojo and will likely be our number one option. If Cascadden is just spotted in, he may be too good an athlete to keep off the field, and could conceivably see time either on offense or as a d- mid.

Defense and LSM: Despite our losses, we should be very strong. Adler, Follows and Singer are a great group. Both Follows and Singer could see time at LSM, but I love them as a unit at close. Boccafola was the back up lsm for much of the season, but seemed to be banged up at the end. Newman had a couple bad moments late in the season, but seems to have the tools to be a good lsm and wing. Last, there are at least three good poles coming in. Staub, Cascadden's Garden City teammate, is one of the best close defenders coming off Long Island. JK Kelly, Frank's son, is a highly regarded
MIAA prospect, and Brady Auker from Mamaroneck is smallish but a very good lsm. I'm not sure if Jacobs is returning, but he was a starter for most of last season, although I think our D peaked when Follows returned.

Goal-- Ierlan is returning. Although a little up and down during the season, he may have been playing the best lacrosse of his Cornell career at season end. We already have depth at the position, and another good goalie, Ethan Ruller, coming in. Definitely solid in goal.

I'm going to leave the 24 recruiting class for another day since I've already run on and 24 is way way off. I do think it is shaping up nicely,though, with a number of high potential offensive players.

Finally, to restate the obvious, we have a great young coaching staff, excelling in all aspects including recruiting. Let's hope we can hold on to them!
Last edited by another fan on Tue May 31, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:07 am Okay another fan -- the pressure is on. We're awaiting your '23 and '24 recruiting analysis!
Here's one thought about replacing Piatelli. It will not be easy --- 66 goals + the guy was unusually good off the ground for an attackmen. Also, it's doing him a disservice to refer to him as a crease attackmen. That's not really his game.
I'll defer to another fan for his expertise regarding the incoming class, but in looking over the list it's heavily weighted on the defensive side. Brendan Staub, Brady Aucker and JK Kelly are 4-star poles per IL (FWIW) with Staub recently named to the Under Armor AA team. I saw him match-up against Joey Spallina, and I thought Staub held his own against the #1 rated recruit in the country. We also have defensemen Matt Dooley and Eddie Rayhill coming in, and I wonder if any of the five will be converted to short sticks given the glut of poles in the class. Staub seems the most likely to get early PT of the group, but all of them seem talented.

Two incoming midfielders, Charlie Box and Brian Jackman, are both 4-stars per IL. There may be a spot available on the 2nd line MF, or perhaps one or both of them will be slotted in as ssdms. Two other midfielders, Anthony Bartolotto and Griffin McGovern, will join the mix. Anthony is the younger brother of Joe, and perhaps he'll be another under the radar guy like his older brother and turn into a major contributor during his career. I don't know much about McGovern, but he plays for the top team in Delaware that plays a top-flight schedule.

At attack we have Bowie Horsman, Matthew Perfetto, and Brian Luzzi. Horsman is a Canadian from the Hill Academy, and I belief he's a classic crease attackman. Perfetto, the younger brother of BU's excellent attackman Louis Perfetto, is an X attackman who does his business behind the cage. I don't know much about Luzzi, an attackman from Bethpage HS who flipped his commitment from Stony Brook.

In goal we have Ethan Ruller, who is from the Syracuse area and is doing a PG year at Westminster. Ruller is 4-star rated by IL and could be in the mix after Ierlan graduates.

Finally we have Jack Cascadden, the 5-star FOGO from Garden City, where he's Staub's teammate. He's very good, but I can't say he'll be the next TD Ierlan. He's a massive kid and a superb athlete, being named the best HS football player on Long Island, and is the son of a former NY Jet linebacker. It will be interesting if the coaches keep him at FOGO while Petrakis and Psyllos remain around (unless he wins the FOGO position in practice), or if they try to move him to a traditional MF or ssdm position to take advantage of his athleticism.

Overall there seems to be a lot to like in this class, although there doesn't seem to be a guy who will step in at attack as a freshman like Piatelli, Long, or Kirst did. As VRR speculated, I could easily see Lombardi slotting into Piatelli's spot, and I think he'd be a great complement to Long and Kirst.

EDIT: I see another fan just beat me to the punch!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Learned something seems Cornell has an alumni mentee program that Tills participate in and Chayse Ierlan is coaches mentee
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 5/30/22

The 2022 USA Lacrosse All-Americans from the Eastern PA region:

USALacrosse ALL AMERICAN
Henry Bard, Lower Merion HS, senior defenseman

Charlie Box Marple Newtown HS, senior midfielder

Max Busenkell Garnet Valley HS, senior midfielder

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”