Bonalax

Atlantic 10 Lacrosse

Post by Bonalax »

10stone5

Re: Atlantic 10 Lacrosse

Post by 10stone5 »

The wording is a bit convoluted,

but it looks like they’ll have a sanctioned Automatic Qualifier
next year with presumably a conference championship.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Is Fairfield not joining as an affiliate member?
Bonalax

Post by Bonalax »

I had heard them having interest, but may have pulled out recently???
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

Going to trigger other conference realignments? CAA and Socon both fall below 6 teams with these changes.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

sc lax wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:50 am Is Fairfield not joining as an affiliate member?
The CAA now has eight teams with the addition of Stony Brook, Monmouth and Hampton and the subtraction of UMass.

I am not particularly thrilled with this new configuration. I am hopeful that the additional two league games don't prevent members of the CAA from scheduling enough out of conference games to raise their RPI.

Hampton and Monmouth (in its current state) are RPI killers for this conference.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Bonalax wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:21 am It’s official!

https://atlantic10.com/news/2022/5/23/a ... sport.aspx
That's a pretty darn strong set of 6 teams!
Pretty diverse geographically...
BigFoot41

Post by BigFoot41 »

Should be competitive!

Looking at the A10 teams overall, would be interesting to see if 1 or 2 programs looks to add lacrosse

There’s 3 schools listed without M/W lax. URI is adding Wlax in the future. Fordham would be a great addition given its location

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_10_Conference
OHLaxDad

Post by OHLaxDad »

ASUN lacrosse page already has Jacksonville and Mercer logos listed now but no announcement I can see. VMI logo not on it so not sure where they are going. Also looks like Queen's U from NC is moving lacrosse up to D1 in the ASUN too. Gives them 10 teams as of now. I could see Utah and Air Force bolting with the right offer.

https://asunsports.org/sports/mlax/index
Homer

Post by Homer »

OHLaxDad wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:48 pm ASUN lacrosse page already has Jacksonville and Mercer logos listed now but no announcement I can see. VMI logo not on it so not sure where they are going. Also looks like Queen's U from NC is moving lacrosse up to D1 in the ASUN too. Gives them 10 teams as of now. I could see Utah and Air Force bolting with the right offer.

https://asunsports.org/sports/mlax/index
VMI is going back to being a MAAC affiliate as of next year. LIU, Sacred Heart, and Wagner have also been announced as MAAC affiliates, giving that league 10 teams going forward.

The SoCon and NEC won't exist for men's lacrosse next season. The one team without a home as of now, AFAIK, is Merrimack. (Besides Hartford which is transitioning down to D3.) I believe Merrimack's not eligible for the postseason until 2024 anyway, so there may not be much urgency to find a conference home for next season if they anticipate better options materializing for the following year.

The other uncertain situation is Fairfield: it was widely assumed they'd switch affiliations to the A-10, but based on this initial announcement it looks like maybe not.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Maybe Fairfield goes independent for one year until they
get their affiliation squared away.

Staying in the CAA for one more year knowing they are going to
leave would be much too bizarre.

Fairfield cleared out their roster which shows some change is
imminent.
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

sc lax wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:50 am Is Fairfield not joining as an affiliate member?
Why is Fairfield not in the MAAC conference for men's lacrosse like they are in every other sport the MAAC sponsors?
hofstrapride1

Post by hofstrapride1 »

jersey shore lax wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:10 pm
Why is Fairfield not in the MAAC conference for men's lacrosse like they are in every other sport the MAAC sponsors?
Because MAAC doesn't offer full complement of scholarships for mlax and also doesn't allow full-time assistant coaches. Prior to CAA they were in the Great Western Lacrosse League. Have heard some rumblings about them perhaps joining CAA for all sports, but not sure how true that is. Have seen same with Quinnipiac.
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

Thank you for the reply, I never understood them being in CAA
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

I think Fairfield would have joined the A-10 if invited. Seems like A-10 wanted 6 teams only to allow more flexibility with out of conference scheduling
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Should be a very competitive conference. Anyone know who UMass has returning? Richmond and High Point lose 2 big stars but I think those programs are too solid to take a step back. Hobart loses quite a bit on offense. Bonnie’s lose Dobson and a lot of Seniors. St. Joe’s brings nearly everyone back and Richie Lacalandra on board as well
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

UMass has a lot returning.
I’ll be curious to see what’s up with Dillon Arrant
he had a very good freshman year, but was invisible (or
maybe hurt) this year, also Sam Mattson, big recruit, didn’t
see much this year.
wrhuradio

Post by wrhuradio »

hofstrapride1 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:25 pm
jersey shore lax wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:10 pm
Because MAAC doesn't offer full complement of scholarships for mlax and also doesn't allow full-time assistant coaches. Prior to CAA they were in the Great Western Lacrosse League. Have heard some rumblings about them perhaps joining CAA for all sports, but not sure how true that is. Have seen same with Quinnipiac.
Yes, have understood the same. MAAC Men's Lacrosse has it's own scholarship limits. NCAA Div 1 Men's Lacrosse limit as many of us know is 12.6.
I have heard MAAC Men's Lax caps it's programs at around 6.0. That is a self-induced scholarship cap to further limit spending on athletics but also keeps competitive balance in MAAC.
Fairfield wants to be more nationally competitive in Men's Lacrosse, so they are likely full at 12.6, thus they are/were in the CAA for Men's Lax as an associate member and no one in the MAAC has a problem with that.

I wonder if the NEC has this scholarship cap too, I havent heard of any other conference having that.
Not even college baseball has this, and it could. For example Canisius Baseball has a lot more scholarships towards the Div 1 Baseball of 11.7 than the rest of the league, which is main reason why Canisius does well in baseball.
Georgetown, Villanova, Butler are all below 6.0 scholarships in baseball and everyone else- UConn, St John's, Xavier, Seton Hall, Creighton are all fully funded at 11.7, but it doesnt exist anywhere in baseball that I've heard of where programs are in lesser leagues so they are in a more competitive situation.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

10stone5 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:18 pm UMass has a lot returning.
I’ll be curious to see what’s up with Dillon Arrant
he had a very good freshman year, but was invisible (or
maybe hurt) this year, also Sam Mattson, big recruit, didn’t
see much this year.
I am not sure I would say that UMass has a "LOT" returning. Their two top scorers Kevin Tobin 27g 21a and Logan Liljeberg 23g 21a are both gone along with top close defenseman All CAA Sam Eisenstadt. Colgate transfer James Caddigan is also gone and I would not expect the oft-injured Chris Connelly to come back for a 6th year after two major knee injuries in consecutive seasons. They do have some nice young players, including goalie Matt Knote, but next year is a complete rebuild year for the Minutemen from my perspective.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:54 am

That's a pretty darn strong set of 6 teams!
Pretty diverse geographically...
Reminds me of the old ECAC in its last two iterations, particularly the one for a few years after the Big East formed and pulled from the GWLL & ECAC for ND, Rutgers and GTown and then UMass and PSU bounced for the CAA. Last group was: Air Force, OSU, Denver, Loyola, Hobart, Bellarmine and Fairfield.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”