Total votes: 78

Peter Brown

Princeton versus Maryland

Post by Peter Brown »

I say it’ll be tight.
Gobigred

Re: Princeton versus Maryland

Post by Gobigred »

Interesting factoid: During the regular season, Princeton played each of the other seven seeded NCAA tournament teams, beating #2, #3, #6 and #8, while losing to #1, #4 and #7. Wonder if that's happened before? Picked up a win over #4 in the quarterfinals, too.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:50 am I say it’ll be tight.

There has to be one Princeton grad here willing to pick the Tigers.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Well I think we need to define "tight". Like losing by 5 to Maryland...would that be considered tight? Like is a blowout for this Maryland team only 10 or more?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

PulpExposure wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:24 am
Well I think we need to define "tight". Like losing by 5 to Maryland...would that be considered tight? Like is a blowout for this Maryland team only 10 or more?

Yes, 5 or less. Or another way to look at it would be, do the starters stay in all game.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

If you listened to Quint's pod with Petro last week, Petro laid out the defensive "pick your poison" scheme for defending Maryland. Anyone who went to or watched the Cuse-MD game saw this in action, and Princeton followed the same blueprint the next week against MD. Petro sent his two best cover guys to Malever and Khan and was slow to slide to support those match-ups. You could see the crease defender hedging at times to make it seem like he would slide. It forced Maryland to go to its invert game early in the game.

Syracuse ultimately didn't have the horses to pull it off, but Princeton does have the horses. At least in its top 6 defensively.

They sent Baughan to Khan and Finlay to Malever. They dared those two to win the one-on-one match ups. Billings tried to use his size to hang on to Wisnauskas. Princeton also played that game with its third-strong FOGO, who didn't even arrive in College Park until an hour or so before the game because he had to pass a COVID test. Their other two FOGOs didn't play. Wierman ended up with 2 goals that game.

Princeton's depth is pretty thin. That's the concern for the Tigers. For every Stevens or English on Princeton, you have at least 2 Terps that do the same exact thing. Baughan and Finley are top cover defensemen, as are Makar and Zappitello. Pederson is a great shorty, but MD has 4 of them. So who from outside of Princeton's top 6 can make a difference? Because Maryland has a few that can, including its rope unit in transition.

Like the first match up, which also happened on just 6 days rest for the Terps after a big "road" game the week before, Princeton has the athletes and skill to make this a very good game. The question is whether they have the depth to pull it off. And Peters will need to have another 19 save performance like he did in College Park to keep Princeton in the game. The Terps put up 50 shots against UVA. Princeton will be in a lot of trouble if Maryland is putting up 50 shots.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

The first game Maryland shot 30% which is a bad day for them and Princeton shot 43% which wasn't enough to keep it close. Maryland was better at the x but Princeton got a better day from their goalie. I didn't catch the game but what I'm seeing is one that wasn't even as close as the 5 goal margin. I feel like the most likely scenario is a Maryland win by more than the first matchup.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Don't think I'd use the word "squeaker," but I think Princeton keeps the scoreline respectable. I suppose anything can happen, but Maryland sure seems destined to win the natty (even if they do play in the later semi).
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:35 am The first game Maryland shot 30% which is a bad day for them and Princeton shot 43% which wasn't enough to keep it close. Maryland was better at the x but Princeton got a better day from their goalie. I didn't catch the game but what I'm seeing is one that wasn't even as close as the 5 goal margin. I feel like the most likely scenario is a Maryland win by more than the first matchup.
5 goals was the largest lead they had the entire game. it was 3-5 goals the entire 2nd half and 3 with 7 minutes remaining.

p'ton will likely be bringing more than their 3rd string fogo coming off covid protocol to the game. my guess wierman still has the advantage but possible the tigers can win some more. hopefully p'ton brings their best game.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Princeton. By 2-3.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Princeton has the athletes in the middle of the field to push Maryland. Their poles are playing better than they have in the past few weeks but they’ll need to play their best game of the year to keep pace. While Princeton will have a better shot on FOs with Sandoval and Ginder, still would give MD the big edge with Wierman. Peters making 19 saves was what made it a relatively close game, he’s gotta do it again. Worry with Princeton is the turnovers, can’t turn it over and give MD a possession edge. I think Princeton causes some problems, limits some transition, but MD just has too many possessions.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Maryland by as many as they want.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Saw a post on the game yesterday where Maryland had 7 or 8 guys drafted in the PLL. This is an All-Star team with no weakness, I believe they will roll in both games. You have to give Tillman credit he recruits harder than anyone, portal and high school, always looking for the next player that can help.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:14 am Saw a post on the game yesterday where Maryland had 7 or 8 guys drafted in the PLL. This is an All-Star team with no weakness, I believe they will roll in both games. You have to give Tillman credit he recruits harder than anyone, portal and high school, always looking for the next player that can help.
Completely agree with this. As a huge lacrosse fan, I would LOVE to see some competitive games this weekend. But I have a feeling that I will be poolside by the second half in both Maryland games. I hope to hell that I am wrong.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Just read this analytics article, and...Maryland's offense is actually playing better as the season goes on. That's a scary concept.
When comparing the statistics from these two groups of games, it is clear that Maryland has seen substantial improvements in offensive efficiency since the beginning of their season. This improvement is represented in both individual player PPE Score increases and the weighted average PPE Score of the Maryland offense.
https://www.lacrosseplayground.com/can- ... -maryland/
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Wheels wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:34 am If you listened to Quint's pod with Petro last week, Petro laid out the defensive "pick your poison" scheme for defending Maryland. Anyone who went to or watched the Cuse-MD game saw this in action, and Princeton followed the same blueprint the next week against MD. Petro sent his two best cover guys to Malever and Khan and was slow to slide to support those match-ups. You could see the crease defender hedging at times to make it seem like he would slide. It forced Maryland to go to its invert game early in the game.

Syracuse ultimately didn't have the horses to pull it off, but Princeton does have the horses. At least in its top 6 defensively.

They sent Baughan to Khan and Finlay to Malever. They dared those two to win the one-on-one match ups. Billings tried to use his size to hang on to Wisnauskas. Princeton also played that game with its third-strong FOGO, who didn't even arrive in College Park until an hour or so before the game because he had to pass a COVID test. Their other two FOGOs didn't play. Wierman ended up with 2 goals that game.

Princeton's depth is pretty thin. That's the concern for the Tigers. For every Stevens or English on Princeton, you have at least 2 Terps that do the same exact thing. Baughan and Finley are top cover defensemen, as are Makar and Zappitello. Pederson is a great shorty, but MD has 4 of them. So who from outside of Princeton's top 6 can make a difference? Because Maryland has a few that can, including its rope unit in transition.

Like the first match up, which also happened on just 6 days rest for the Terps after a big "road" game the week before, Princeton has the athletes and skill to make this a very good game. The question is whether they have the depth to pull it off. And Peters will need to have another 19 save performance like he did in College Park to keep Princeton in the game. The Terps put up 50 shots against UVA. Princeton will be in a lot of trouble if Maryland is putting up 50 shots.
Good writeup. Do see Princeton as most complete Ivy team and 2nd best team remaining. Could see them keeping it close for reasons outlined but be a major upset to defeat a team with such balance and depth. Weirman and McNanney have greatly improved and that along with several excellent portal additions have made completed Maryland
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:54 am
TheBigIguana wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:35 am The first game Maryland shot 30% which is a bad day for them and Princeton shot 43% which wasn't enough to keep it close. Maryland was better at the x but Princeton got a better day from their goalie. I didn't catch the game but what I'm seeing is one that wasn't even as close as the 5 goal margin. I feel like the most likely scenario is a Maryland win by more than the first matchup.
5 goals was the largest lead they had the entire game. it was 3-5 goals the entire 2nd half and 3 with 7 minutes remaining.

p'ton will likely be bringing more than their 3rd string fogo coming off covid protocol to the game. my guess wierman still has the advantage but possible the tigers can win some more. hopefully p'ton brings their best game.
The big thing for me is they got outshot 50-23 the first time. To keep it close with that is a minor miracle. Maryland has won games by 8 with fairly narrow edges in shots comparatively. So if Princeton wants to have any shot they almost certainly have to do better there. FOs might help but it won't solve it all. I don't think relying on outshooting them is a great idea.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

If Princeton is to have a shot it needs to limited MD’s possession time anyway they can:

- FO Wins
- Saves without giving up rebound and clock resets
- High if not perfect clearing percentage
- Eat up as much shot clock on rides and maybe force a few failed clears
- limit unforced turnovers, value possession
- win the 50/50 ground balls
- always back up the cage on offense, maybe beat out a couple on defense
- avoid penalties

You want these in every game but the sum of these could keep it close and then anything is possible.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:43 am

The big thing for me is they got outshot 50-23 the first time. To keep it close with that is a minor miracle. Maryland has won games by 8 with fairly narrow edges in shots comparatively. So if Princeton wants to have any shot they almost certainly have to do better there. FOs might help but it won't solve it all. I don't think relying on outshooting them is a great idea.
fair enough. moving forward that doesn't look like a formula. my post was more confusion on how the past game wasn't as close as indicated.

though... it is possible that given the prior result and your stat... that p'ton for one day found a formula for success in one aspect -- being able to give up the shots that they wanted and ones their goalie could handle. maybe.

maryland will get their 40 plus shots. princeton will need to find a way to get more than 23.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:27 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:43 am

fair enough. moving forward that doesn't look like a formula. my post was more confusion on how the past game wasn't as close as indicated.

though... it is possible that given the prior result and your stat... that p'ton for one day found a formula for success in one aspect -- being able to give up the shots that they wanted and ones their goalie could handle. maybe.

maryland will get their 40 plus shots. princeton will need to find a way to get more than 23.

I keep toggling between close and not close.

How did DeMaio take 8 shots but can none in the previous tilt between these two? Khan 0 for 4.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”