Stop playing tournament games in football stadiums

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Magatrump

Stop playing tournament games in football stadiums

Post by Magatrump »

It’s a disgrace and a bad look for the game. Only Lacrosse specific stadiums should host tournament games, including the final four. In my opinion, Ncaa lax should build a lacrosse specific stadium somewhere in the northeast/dc area that will permanently host the final four, similar to Omaha for baseball. The stadium should hold 25-35k people and be a place that all lacrosse fans could be proud of. The building of this site would create amazing history and would allow a local community to fall in love with such an event year after year. It could also host other events such as the d2, d3 championships and pro lacrosse events. The stadium complex would be funded by donations from wealthy lacrosse fans. Would love to hear people’s thoughts on this.
Last edited by Magatrump on Mon May 23, 2022 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
renault

Re: Stop playing tournament games in football stadiums

Post by renault »

just push it back a week and alternate between army and navy/MC stadiums
nms

Post by nms »

Magatrump wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:06 am It’s a disgrace and a bad look for the game. Only Lacrosse specific stadiums should host tournament games, including the final four. In my opinion, Ncaa lax should build a lacrosse specific stadium somewhere in the northeast/dc area that will permanently host the final four, similar to Omaha for baseball. The stadium should hold 8-15k people and be a place that all lacrosse fans could be proud of. The building of this site would create amazing history and would allow a local community to fall in love with such an event year after year. It could also host other events such as the d2, d3 championships and pro lacrosse events. The stadium complex would be funded by donations from wealthy lacrosse fans. Would love to hear people’s thoughts on this.
great idea! Lets piss off half of the 30K+ fans that regularly attended the semi-finals pre-covid...or just assume that those days are never coming back.
Magatrump

Post by Magatrump »

nms wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:30 am
Magatrump wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:06 am It’s a disgrace and a bad look for the game. Only Lacrosse specific stadiums should host tournament games, including the final four. In my opinion, Ncaa lax should build a lacrosse specific stadium somewhere in the northeast/dc area that will permanently host the final four, similar to Omaha for baseball. The stadium should hold 8-15k people and be a place that all lacrosse fans could be proud of. The building of this site would create amazing history and would allow a local community to fall in love with such an event year after year. It could also host other events such as the d2, d3 championships and pro lacrosse events. The stadium complex would be funded by donations from wealthy lacrosse fans. Would love to hear people’s thoughts on this.
great idea! Lets tick off half of the 30K+ fans that regularly attended the semi-finals pre-covid...or just assume that those days are never coming back.
Valid point My bad, the attendance numbers I put were erroneous, i have amended that point. Lets focus on the idea, you could imagine whatever capacity for such a stadium would be.
hofstrapride1

Post by hofstrapride1 »

I'm biased of course but I think Hofstra's Shuart Stadium with 13K capacity is ideal quarterfinal setting since even when you get disappointing crowd like Saturday at 5,800 it still is a great atmosphere and doesn't look empty. In years where you get the right mix of teams like Maryland, Cuse or 2014 Albany with Thomson twins Hofstra will draw more than 10K.
LaxerLP

Post by LaxerLP »

100% agree. Bad look for the game.

Was the sound terrible in the games yesterday or just no one there? Felt like I was watching a Tuesday game on ESPN + .
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

watching on TV couldn't even tell.
renault

Post by renault »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:27 am watching on TV couldn't even tell.
You didn't see the completely empty OSU football stadium? Crowd shots of parents (and seemingly only parents) after every goal? Dead air/audio the whole game?

It was embarrassing.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Last 2 (or 3 if semi's & finals get split) rounds should not be played on fields with football lines. Just my pet peeve & my ¢2.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

Agree to host the quarter finals football lines should be "greened out" . I just liked the look of Hofstra's field sans Football lines
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Agree with the no football lines on the field. Lacrosse should follow the soccer model and play at smaller venues. Audi field in DC would be my choice for championship weekend.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

It's more than that. Hosting the QF in Ohio makes no sense. Play one QF in the Northeast and the other in Maryland. I've been hearing this grow the game stuff for 20 years now, but while the sport is expanding geographically with regard to talent, it is not really growing from a spectator standpoint. If travel restrictions are keeping teams from flying certain distances for tournament games, why make 4 teams fly to Ohio, or Indy, or Denver? Isn't it better to have one team fly east than 4 teams fly west and to play in an empty stadium in an indifferent town. Enough of this experimentation. Rotate sites, but play one QF on LI and the other in Baltimore every season.

Tournament attendance peaked in 2007-09 and has declined ever since. It's time to cater to the existing fan base rather than the non-existing one.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Could throw in CNY and CVille/NC Research triangle area with and split baby instead of just having it on the I95 corridor..

LI is horrible for everyone who has to get back off the island.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I thought they did a great job and it was a smart idea to give fans outside the northeast a chance to see high level lacrosse w/in driving distance. I'm sorry to the folks on long island and in maryland, but lacrosse does not belong to you. It's absolutely reasonable to have at least one of the ff/quarterfinals every year outside the mid atlantic area to give fans in those regions a chance to bring their kids out.

Denver, Ann Arbor, South Bend, Milwaukee, Jacksonville, lots of great places they could and should do these later May events.
renault

Post by renault »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:07 am I thought they did a great job and it was a smart idea to give fans outside the northeast a chance to see high level lacrosse w/in driving distance. I'm sorry to the folks on long island and in maryland, but lacrosse does not belong to you. It's absolutely reasonable to have at least one of the ff/quarterfinals every year outside the mid atlantic area to give fans in those regions a chance to bring their kids out.

Denver, Ann Arbor, South Bend, Milwaukee, Jacksonville, lots of great places they could and should do these later May events.
Yeah, if they want an empty stadium.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:07 am I thought they did a great job and it was a smart idea to give fans outside the northeast a chance to see high level lacrosse w/in driving distance. I'm sorry to the folks on long island and in maryland, but lacrosse does not belong to you. It's absolutely reasonable to have at least one of the ff/quarterfinals every year outside the mid atlantic area to give fans in those regions a chance to bring their kids out.

The problem is, people in Ohio voted with their feet and did not turn out. That being said, Denver has done well with attendance when hosting tournament games.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

This is what the quarterfinals should look like:

https://gohofstra.com/news/2017/4/18/me ... -2022.aspx
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

laxjuris wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:19 am

The problem is, people in Ohio voted with their feet and did not turn out. That being said, Denver has done well with attendance when hosting tournament games.
That's on the ncaa and ohio state which have infinity resources to build attendance. The big ten area is one of the richest in raw athletic talent on the planet and is the only of the big 4 revenue sport talent producing regions (the south, california, texas) where lacrosse has a footprint, so it's very important for the game to have regular may events there. Western/central pa, indiana, ohio, michigan, they grow very big very tough young sons there.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

JustOneTime wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:34 am Agree with the no football lines on the field. Lacrosse should follow the soccer model and play at smaller venues. Audi field in DC would be my choice for championship weekend.
Audi would be great for a QF but the championship still sells enough tickets to justify a bigger stadium. I think trying to find a way to get it to Navy is the best outcome.
renault

Post by renault »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:41 am
JustOneTime wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:34 am Agree with the no football lines on the field. Lacrosse should follow the soccer model and play at smaller venues. Audi field in DC would be my choice for championship weekend.
Audi would be great for a QF but the championship still sells enough tickets to justify a bigger stadium. I think trying to find a way to get it to Navy is the best outcome.
Push it back a week.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”