Navy 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
old salt

Re: Navy 2023

Post by old salt »

blue angels wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:18 am
old salt wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:12 pm
blue angels wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:00 pm
PALax11 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:56 pm Very difficult for any athlete but more common than it has been in recent memory. Navy's Xavier Airline came back to lacrosse last year and believe he intends to do so again.
Arline may have been on the team and played a little, but he had minimal impact for Navy. I looked it up and he had 8 points in 6 games. No idea if he was injured, and didn't play more, or something else. just being on the team is one thing. being a key player is another.
Arline was hampered by a lingering hamstring injury. He was still impactful when he played, even without fallball.
If he survives this FB season in good health, I expect 2 more good lax seasons for him.
QB of Navy's triple option offense is one of the most hazardous assignments in the Naval Service.
I'm glad he's the backup QB. They played him at running back (not slotback but lined up in the fullback spot) a couple plays last wk.
They're still trying to find a way to get the ball to him in open space.
Therein lies the question, and you raised it..... "If he survives the football season in good health." Lacrosse isn't low contact baseball...... He must be a special athlete to even make both team. Then, he must be very fortunate to be healthy enough to make an impact. Hat's off to him for trying and hope he succeeds.
I moved the above from the Maryland thread where the question about Xavier Arline surfaced. It's now likely to be an item of interest again.
In this week's Senior Day game vs Temple, Navy starting QB Tai Lavatai came out late in the 1st qtr with a season ending knee injury. Arline came on in relief & after a 3rd qtr fumble into the end zone giving Temple a TD, he bounced back to lead Navy on a lengthy 4th Qtr TD drive, then he scored the winning TD in OT on a breakaway 23 yd run. You could see Navy's offense reverting back to it's triple option roots. The longer Xavier played, you could see the offense gel around him. This comes as Navy heads into the hardest part of a brutal sched with remaining games against Cincy, Notre Dame, UCF & Army. Xavier's future as a lax player his last 2 seasons will likely be determined by the rest of this FB season. There are no underclassmen QB's on the depth chart who look ready to replace him this season or next. I hope Lavatai is ready for his Sr season next fall, if not by this upcoming spring ball. Xavier Arline is now a full fledged 2 sport athlete in lax & football. I hope he stays healthy & is able to pursue both sports to his fullest potential. With the impact that the COVID lockdown had on USNA in general & Navy sports in particular, I really admire Xavier & his fellow Mids who stuck it out & did not transfer out.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:17 am
PALax11 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:56 pm Very difficult for any athlete but more common than it has been in recent memory. Navy's Xavier Airline came back to lacrosse last year and believe he intends to do so again.
Arline may have been on the team and played a little, but he had minimal impact for Navy. I looked it up and he had 8 points in 6 games. No idea if he was injured, and didn't play more, or something else. just being on the team is one thing. being a key player is another.
Arline was hampered by a lingering hamstring injury. He was still impactful when he played, even without fallball.
If he survives this FB season in good health, I expect 2 more good lax seasons for him.
QB of Navy's triple option offense is one of the most hazardous assignments in the Naval Service.
I'm glad he's the backup QB. They played him at running back (not slotback but lined up in the fullback spot) a couple plays last wk.
Therein lies the question, and you raised it..... "If he survives the football season in good health." Lacrosse isn't low contact baseball...... He must be a special athlete to even make both team. Then, he must be very fortunate to be healthy enough to make an impact. Hat's off to him for trying and hope he succeeds.
I moved the above from the Maryland thread where the question about Xavier Arline surfaced. It's now likely to be an item of interest again.
In this week's Senior Day game vs Temple, Navy starting QB Tai Lavatai came out late in the 1st qtr with a season ending knee injury. Arline came on in relief & after a 3rd qtr fumble into the end zone giving Temple a TD, he bounced back to lead Navy on a lengthy 4th Qtr TD drive, then he scored the winning TD in OT on a breakaway 23 yd run. You could see Navy's offense reverting back to it's triple option roots. The longer Xavier played, you could see the offense gel around him. This comes as Navy heads into the hardest part of a brutal sched with remaining games against Cincy, Notre Dame, UCF & Army. Xavier's future as a lax player his last 2 seasons will likely be determined by the rest of this FB season. There are no underclassmen QB's on the depth chart who look ready to replace him this season or next. I hope Lavatai is ready for his Sr season next fall, if not by this upcoming spring ball. Xavier Arline is now a full fledged 2 sport athlete in lax & football. I hope he stays healthy & is able to pursue both sports to his fullest potential. With the impact that the COVID lockdown had on USNA in general & Navy sports in particular, I really admire Xavier & his fellow Mids who stuck it out & did not transfer out.
Only need to go 1-3! *
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

old salt wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:17 am
Arline is a one-dimensional QB; he does not pass the ball well. With the upcoming schedule it might not have mattered who was at QB for Navy but all teams really need to worry about is the run so 11 defenders can be up close and personal to the Navy offense. There are 6 underclassmen other than Lavatai and Arline listed as QB's on the Navy roster: 4 freshmen, 1 sophmore and 1 senior. If these guys can't play better than Arline, why were they even recruited?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Its not one dimensional,

they’re going straight triple option with Arline.

16 runs, no passes in the Temple game,

now whether one likes the triple option or not,
that’s an entire separate debate.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

If they go full-on TO, the chances of a win in any of the remaining games just went to down significantly...unless XA completes some crucial passes. It says quite a bit about a roughly 120 player roster and there is not QB that can pass the ball....that's on the staff for poor planning.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

The only other QB who's taken a game snap on the roster is a Sr. -- Maasi Maynor.
https://navysports.com/sports/football/ ... ynor/22648
Lavati was #1 because of his passing ability. He could not effectively run the triple option. He's a strong inside runner but not elusive & could not master the reads & the mechanics of the TO (mesh with the FB/ pitch to the SB). Navy runs from the same Flexbone formation with Lavati, but specific running plays are called, not the read based TO. Yesterday when Arline stayed in it looked like they ran a few read TO plays. Arline is not fully proficient reading & running the TO but he is elusive, fast & brings breakaway potential from the QB position.

The Navy staff used to be the masters of developing TO QBs. That's no longer the case. The past couple years Army has had 3-4 different QB's capable of starting & winning. AF had at least 2 every year. Who knows how long this Navy staff will survive.
Covid decimated this senior class. Of 57 recruits, only 25 remain (only 5 starters +5 more on the 3 deep depth chart). At least 17 transfers are on other FB rosters. This year's Jr class was also heavily impacted.
lorin

Post by lorin »

old salt wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:35 pm The only other QB who's taken a game snap on the roster is a Sr. -- Maasi Maynor.
Lavati was #1 because of his passing ability. He could not effectively run the triple option. He's a strong inside runner but not elusive & could not master the reads & the mechanics of the TO (mesh with the FB/ pitch to the SB). Navy runs from the same Flexbone formation with Lavati, but specific running plays are called, not the read based TO. Yesterday when Arline stayed in it looked like they ran a few read TO plays. Arline is not fully proficient reading & running the TO but he is elusive, fast & brings breakaway potential from the QB position.

The Navy staff used to be the masters of developing TO QBs. That's no longer the case. The past couple years Army has had 3-4 different QB's capable of starting & winning. AF had at least 2 every year. Who knows how long this Navy staff will survive.
Covid decimated this senior class. Of 57 recruits, only 25 remain (only 5 starters +5 more on the 3 deep depth chart). At least 17 transfers are on other FB rosters. This year's Jr class was also heavily impacted.
Didn't you guys play lacrosse Saturday?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

lorin wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:36 am Didn't you guys play lacrosse Saturday?
How'd we do....I could not make the trip?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

old salt wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:35 pm The only other QB who's taken a game snap on the roster is a Sr. -- Maasi Maynor.

This kid is your 2024 FO recruit. The FB coach may want to have a look at as well.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/15074988/Ryan-Trafford
old salt

Post by old salt »

Here's a Navy lax player who switched to FB then hit the transfer portal during the covid lockdown.
He's the leading tackler on 7th ranked undefeated TCU.

https://bvmsports.com/2022/04/14/navy-f ... ct-at-tcu/\

https://navysports.com/sports/football/ ... dges/18188
Abr2016

Post by Abr2016 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:22 am
From what I’ve heard, it was pretty positive. Unofficial scores of 15-12 over St. John’s and falling 14-12 to UPenn. I do not believe Bonitz, Swanson, Hewitt played among others.

Last year vs UPenn I believe it was a lot to a little.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Abr2016 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:15 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:22 am
From what I’ve heard, it was pretty positive. Unofficial scores of 15-12 over St. John’s and falling 14-12 to UPenn. I do not believe Bonitz, Swanson, Hewitt played among others.

Last year vs UPenn I believe it was a lot to a little.
Thank you!
Last year was brutal, I made that trip. If you hop over to the UPENN thread, someone also did a quick recap from their POV.
~Livy
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

PALax11

Post by PALax11 »

Mac Haley with at least 5 points. Nice showing for the plebe.
Abr2016

Post by Abr2016 »

I believe another plebe, Jack Flaherty, ran on the 1st midfield line in place of Swanson and Hewitt being out.

Chaminade kid
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Got a question. If they ever moved the Final Four a week later, might they host it in Annapolis? Or are there not enough nearby hotels?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Personally i doubt it. Graduation Memorial Day weekend is a huge institutional undertaking.

There are enough hotel rooms.

When MD hosted the FF and Syracuse was in it they stayed around the beltway in Montgomery County as a matter of choice. It is doable from an infrastructure perspective i think but i don’t see it being moved eg losing the holiday as a travel day, probably needing two weekends, losing the FF hype if it still has value, finding a host for two weekends, are the women included or no etc
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Huddle Up for Coach Reppert:

Jill Reppert, wife to Holy Cross Men's Lacrosse Head Coach J.L. Reppert, and mother to their 10-year old son Liam, passed away Sunday, November 6, 2022, after a two-year courageous battle with cancer.

Jill was the rock to the Reppert family. Like many coaches' spouses, she endured the demands families assume when their loved one coaches, especially at the collegiate level. She selflessly supported Coach Reppert through his time at the US Naval Academy, University of Maryland, and now with the College of Holy Cross while being a teacher, and raising Liam.
~Livy
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

How about Hopkins @ Navy on St. Patrick's Day!?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Any update on XA injury yesterday?
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”