Brown 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bearlaxfan

Brown 2023

Post by bearlaxfan »

In the view from 10,000 feet, what are your expectations for Brown lacrosse? Given that at Brown, I think lacrosse, soccer, and crew are the high-profile programs (RIP Brown hockey & football.)

I think ILT appearances 3 years out of 4 may be optimistic given the current trendline of the league as a whole, but that's the point of expectations.
AQs are great, but I want Bruno to at least be in the ncaa tourney conversation half the time. Maybe this is overreach; it's only back to 2017 when the IL only had one team in the tournament. Hey if the program can reach the level of Yale, with a tournament slot expectation a virtual given and quarterfinals a probability, I will not complain!😉
Call me greedy, but I would hope for a FF appearance more than once a generation.
Charlie Don't Surf

Re: Brown 2023

Post by Charlie Don't Surf »

Well, as we look at the horizon, a few thoughts:

Goalie looks to be a position of strength with The People's Goalie and Demopoulous as rising junior and sophomore, respectively. The real question, I think, is whether they will continue to see the same sorts of shots this year's defense forced throughout most of the season. If not, who is the best stopper of two really talented goalies.

Which brings us to D. Losing Gaydos, Geppert, Newsome, and Enchill is brutal. Witts, Hertz, Valentini, and Hart (who I hope is ok) all have good game experience and have played well, so I think we can be very solid, especially if one or two of the younger guys steps up as well. Also, hoping that at LSM Pat O'Neill is able to come back and play well. He was a stud vs UVA in the March 2020 game. At SSDM, tough to replace Wolfram (who was solid and steady all year) and Pike (who has been terrific for years), but TYK is AA status, and Behrens was strong this year (like to see him put on a few good lbs, though). Sweeney has played well also, but need one or two of the younger guys to step up.

O mid has been a real strength, but tough to lose Aughavin, Moshyedi, Grell, and Rockefeller. King, Kelly, and Paff all have good experience--and King and Kelly had terrific years, but next year one or both of them will draw the pole, so need to prepare for that by getting even stronger and faster. Again, opportunity calls to add depth to that lineup. Guys like Hollen and Bultman (and some of the younger guys) have a real chance to be difference-makers.

At FOGO, Gunty is terrific, but I do not think we can ask him to take very draw in every game. True, Sachs took some, and hopefully he can be a reliable guy to spell Gunty. Again, opportunity awaits here.

Finally, Attack. McLane was great this year. Full stop. I definitely liked the way the Attack operated when Cook was in. He he is a big loss. Great dodger. Losing both him and Antonelli is tough. Perhaps this is where opportunity is the greatest. Glavine did a nice job stepping in when Cook went out, but he will be dodging the #2 pole next year. Heard great things about Bligh, Locke, and Demetri. I am sure others are chomping at the bit.
Should be a great competition to see who plays/shares that third Attack spot. Don't forget, Daly will not pause a second to play freshmen.

Overall, I am more comfortable with where we are heading into next year on the defensive side of the ball, but younger players always step up, and next year will be no different. Can't wait to see the 2022-23 edition> Go Bruno, and congrats to all of the seniors--it has been so fun to watch you play this year, and I really wish we could have watched you and your predecessors the past two COVID seasons. Godspeed.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Oddly, looking at the 2022 roster at the end of the season, the guys who had been listed as GS are now listed as Seniors. I know the GSs/Seniors are done, but given whatever alchemy the Ivy League and Brown rulings combine to create, do the other Seniors have any eligibility left?
If 'yes', any word on who might stay?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Ty Xanders@tyxanders·25m.
@BrownLacrosse freshman goalie Andy Demopoulos entered the NCAA's transfer portal on Thursday, sources tell @Inside_Lacrosse. The 6'4 Darien Conn.) grad was a 2021 Under Armour All-American and @ILPreps' No. 25 incoming recruit, but did not make any appearances this season.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Ugh. But not surprised given The People's Goalie's rise to prominence.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Can TYK develop into an offensive threat? A player with speed like his should be on the field more...IMHO.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Can TYK develop into an offensive threat? A player with speed like his should be on the field more...IMHO.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

He's shown well on alley dodges with speed but haven't yet seen him dodge to break down defense from up top. They say junior-to-senior year, players can show the most improvement. We'll see if more offense develops.
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

Disappointed that Andy D. would even consider the portal in lieu of proving next fall that he should be the starting goalie in 2023….work hard over the summer and get better….show it….there is no reason he cannot get the nod- there is no better undergrad school than Brown - don’t quit - overcome ….this would be Demop’s 3rd college commitment - not a good rep.- better rep. is to react to adversity or a challenge by taking it head on and not fleeing ….his teammates alone deserve better…and he deserves better….
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

So which of the A's on the current roster worked from x in HS? They can't all be wing guys (I hope). McLane filled in well at x, but he's so deadly out front he should be there as much as possible. X is the spot that had no depth displayed.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

bearlaxfan wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:47 pm So which of the A's on the current roster worked from x in HS? They can't all be wing guys (I hope). McLane filled in well at x, but he's so deadly out front he should be there as much as possible. X is the spot that had no depth displayed.
I'd love it if someone with more inside knowledge than me can provide us with a breakdown of what we have coming back next year and what do our incoming recruits look like for 23.
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

3 transfers recently picked-up from the portal arriving in August ….all approved by Admission …to be named shortly….Goalie Demop. coming back after his flirtation with the portal - realizing Brown cannot be excelled …expect him to compete as a starter as a soph……coaches all over scouring the landcape to secure those able to meet Brown’s late 5th place media poll ranking in ‘22….. new era of Brown athletics surfacing generated by new AD/VP as supported by Prez and Corporation…..Lacrosse the focus for national recognition….a million middies to grace the ‘23 season roster ….Melville’s def. - ground ball and take-away phenom O’Neill ready to contribute…..fully stocked roster ready for ‘23…..TYK to peak as an all-American ….a Umass loss in ‘22 leading to a tough out in round 1 of the NCAA’s (Va.) as an 8 seed…. but no complaints as a #1 seed in the Ivy Tourney nor with the dramatic late Ivy season’s consecutive wins over Penn, Yale , Cornell and Dartmouth …..
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

I believe the key to success will be in developing consistency. Starting off 0-2 in IVY play and coming back to defeat Penn, Yale , Cornell, and Dartmouth was a remarkable feat and put Brown on the national map. First half of UVA game was the hilight of the season and a proud moment for Brown fans in a great environment. Great memories.
But somehow Penn comes out on fire in the ILT and the Brown team we saw at the end of the regular season is nowhere to be found. And UVA comes out after halftime and according to many plays the best half of lacrosse they played all season.
Not sure where consistency comes from but certainly coaching guidance, adjustments, depth, conditioning, effort, talent and likely most importantly belief all come into play.
This season, the team recovered from the Covid blues and outside of the program exceeded everyone’s expectations. I believe the senior class was better than what outsiders knew. No superstars but very solid. When they played their best they could and did compete with everyone.
Next year will be a major challenge. Making the ILT starting out 0-2 was remarkable. The talent, youth and expectations at Harvard, Dartmouth and of course Princeton is pointing up and again outsiders would say Brown has a challenge getting back to the ILT.
The IVY League did great this year as did Brown. I believe consistency will be key to continuing Browns success. I think the greatest accomplishment of this past year would be to develop the true belief that they can compete with anyone. It will be a very interesting season and I wish continued success.
RopeUnit

Post by RopeUnit »

3 transfers! Surprising considering Daly didn’t take any last year. Assuming Brown cannot take any grad transfers, not too many guys in the pool who would step in and make an immediate impact outside of Hudgins from Army—and that would be a real surprise. Maybe some FO depth and a flyer on a dodger on attack?
Counselor wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:11 pm 3 transfers recently picked-up from the portal arriving in August ….all approved by Admission …to be named shortly….Goalie Demop. coming back after his flirtation with the portal - realizing Brown cannot be excelled …expect him to compete as a starter as a soph……coaches all over scouring the landcape to secure those able to meet Brown’s late 5th place media poll ranking in ‘22….. new era of Brown athletics surfacing generated by new AD/VP as supported by Prez and Corporation…..Lacrosse the focus for national recognition….a million middies to grace the ‘23 season roster ….Melville’s def. - ground ball and take-away phenom O’Neill ready to contribute…..fully stocked roster ready for ‘23…..TYK to peak as an all-American ….a Umass loss in ‘22 leading to a tough out in round 1 of the NCAA’s (Va.) as an 8 seed…. but no complaints as a #1 seed in the Ivy Tourney nor with the dramatic late Ivy season’s consecutive wins over Penn, Yale , Cornell and Dartmouth …..
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Outside of Matt Graham & Reade Seligmann (obviously a special case) I think there was a D3 transfer at attack who may have contributed, but this is me imposing on Counselor's turf. ;)
Other than these, I got nuttin'.
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

Matteo Corsi via IMG and ‘Cuse together with Brown sibling Aidan McLane from Fairfield add much firepower to Brown for the next several years - more than make up for Aughavin’s graduation ….one more tfer to be disclosed shortly….. brand new turf field awaits these two with much anticipation in two months….maybe 2 or 3 spots available for ‘23 entries….much to be enthusiastic about …..facilities and $$ support continue to be upgraded under new Brown AD/alum who relished Brown’s late season run this past season and looks to elevate program even higher in ‘23 and beyond….
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

Very excited regarding in-coming frosh M/A Marcus Wertheim, out of Smithtown East who was named 1st string All-LI…..possesses dual Australian/ US citizenship …..hounded by Yale to flip but had no interest ……brings an Australian Outback spirit to the game……steady, mature, aggressive, unselfish, determined, strong…..should see the field this coming season…..works-out incessantly……was impressed with Head Coach Daly from the get-go……will be a force in the League…..if there ever was a sure thing this young man is it…..he will be standing tall in a Brown uniform in 4 years on Senior Day - guaranteed.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

And the latest depth charge is dropped by Admiral Ellipse . . . good insider information . . . staunch loyalty to Bruno . . . and a few gratuitous digs to spice it all up. :D

Sounds like Brown has some excellent talent coming in via the incoming class and the transfer portal (Corsi looked like an impact player when I caught 'Cuse games online this past spring). All to the good -- a rising tide lifts all boats/bids when it comes to the overall strength of the league. Seems like the voids left by the graduation of Geppert/Gaydos (who didn't get a lot of publicity but impressed tremendously) might be harder to fill?
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

Gibson Linnehan (LSM) crosses town to Brown from PC after completing his freshman year (Princeton Day grad)…he is the 3rd tfer added to the roster this summer …he’s needed to support a defense sustaining injuries/ surgeries this spring …..one slot open in the class enrolling in 2023 for a 5 star tfer/ commit who wants the special Brown experience that ‘Cuse tfer Corsi found
irresistable…..Brown looks to repeat its ‘22 success in winning the Ivy Championship before falling to Va. in the NCAA’s 1st round in a rocking Sat. nite Stevenson Field fan fest …….
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

what kind of history does btown have in taking in transfers, even if it wasn't in waves?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”