UMD in a close one
39%
UVa in a close one
21%

Total votes: 87

rasheed

Virginia v Maryland

Post by rasheed »

Vegas is Vegas. But it's no Laxpower2...

Regarding the upcoming game/rout/shock of the century, I have one thing I am watching all week

[youtube]https://youtu.be/m8xDrRcWSBU[/youtube]
joewillie78

Re: Virginia v Maryland

Post by joewillie78 »

I can't pick until I get Mavericks opinion on the game. Oh wait, yes I can as Maverick will say that ANY ACC school will wallop a Big ten School and then demolish the overseeded Ivies in the final, so obviously I will vote The Cavs in a blowout.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:25 pm I can't pick until I get Mavericks opinion on the game. Oh wait, yes I can as Maverick will say that ANY ACC school will wallop a Big ten School and then demolish the overseeded Ivies in the final, so obviously I will vote The Cavs in a blowout.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Ha! Did you really??? I’m so disappointed in you Joe.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

rasheed wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:21 pm Vegas is Vegas. But it's no Laxpower2...

Regarding the upcoming game/rout/shock of the century, I have one thing I am watching all week

After that game (coached by former Blue Jay coach Jim V) a bunch of us went down the road to Raleigh.
I thought the scene was a bit rowdy, but really well-behaved fun rowdy while I was there.
Maybe things got ugly after I left, and I would not be surprised if there was plenty of litter the next morning, but from my perspective, credit the NC State fans.

Or maybe the 2008 semi-final when the Jays beat the best lacrosse team of all time, or certainly the best never to win a championship on the field.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:38 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:25 pm I can't pick until I get Mavericks opinion on the game. Oh wait, yes I can as Maverick will say that ANY ACC school will wallop a Big ten School and then demolish the overseeded Ivies in the final, so obviously I will vote The Cavs in a blowout.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
What can I say? That Maverick Dude has convinced me that the ACC, squint, Crack, Anus and Faux were right all along and all those IVY wins were frauds, the committee and Donna royally screwed the ACC, ND and Duke , and the IVIES were overseeded. The Cavs aren't going to let some Overrated Big 10 school rain on their parade, and Maverick has assured me that Lars will have the 3rd string and waterboys in by the start of the 3rd period.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

44WeWantMore wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:44 pm
rasheed wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:21 pm Vegas is Vegas. But it's no Laxpower2...

After that game (coached by former Blue Jay coach Jim V) a bunch of us went down the road to Raleigh.
I thought the scene was a bit rowdy, but really well-behaved fun rowdy while I was there.
Maybe things got ugly after I left, and I would not be surprised if there was plenty of litter the next morning, but from my perspective, credit the NC State fans.

Or maybe the 2008 semi-final when the Jays beat the best lacrosse team of all time, or certainly the best never to win a championship on the field.
Virginia will score, if they can be competitive on face offs and get the ball. That is a big if, as they weren’t competitive on face offs earlier this season. Basically, both Nunes and LaSalla will have to play really well, just to have the opportunity to keep it close. If they don’t, the game will be over quickly. Slowing Maryland down is a completely different problem. Maybe, Lars should get a voodoo priestess to do a curse on their shooting. We feel lucky to just have another shot at them, but they are looking like one of the more dominant teams to play in D1 in years.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:12 pm
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
What can I say? That Maverick Dude has convinced me that the ACC, squint, Crack, Anus and Faux were right all along and all those IVY wins were frauds, the committee and Donna royally screwed the ACC, ND and Duke , and the IVIES were overseeded. The Cavs aren't going to let some Overrated Big 10 school rain on their parade, and Maverick has assured me that Lars will have the 3rd string and waterboys in by the start of the 3rd period.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Is that the Flower Power talking? Man, I need to get some of that stuff.

BTW, it's Saint Donna of Loyola.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:46 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:12 pm
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Is that the Flower Power talking? Man, I need to get some of that stuff.

BTW, it's Saint Donna of Loyola.
$10.99 / six at the store I shop at. Not the cheapest but certainly not the most expensive. For the price, it's well worth it.
Maybe a little FP talking but that Maverick Dude can be very persuasive.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

blue angels wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:16 pm

Virginia will score, if they can be competitive on face offs and get the ball. That is a big if, as they weren’t competitive on face offs earlier this season. Basically, both Nunes and LaSalla will have to play really well, just to have the opportunity to keep it close. If they don’t, the game will be over quickly. Slowing Maryland down is a completely different problem. Maybe, Lars should get a voodoo priestess to do a curse on their shooting. We feel lucky to just have another shot at them, but they are looking like one of the more dominant teams to play in D1 in years.
Agree, blue angels. I wouldn't count Nunes and LaSalla out -- LaSalla needs to summon his prior #MayMagic form, and Nunes needs to play the game of his life -- but I'd think both are possible? And I think there would need to be some luck and good bounces for UVA -- UMD hitting some pipes, etc. But if UVA can keep it close, as we saw in Georgetown/Delaware, anything is possible. With full knowledge and admiration for the historic dominance of this Maryland team, I voted for "UMD in a close one."
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

The Orfling wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:52 pm

Agree, blue angels. I wouldn't count Nunes and LaSalla out -- LaSalla needs to summon his prior #MayMagic form, and Nunes needs to play the game of his life -- but I'd think both are possible? And I think there would need to be some luck and good bounces for UVA -- UMD hitting some pipes, etc. But if UVA can keep it close, as we saw in Georgetown/Delaware, anything is possible. With full knowledge and admiration for the historic dominance of this Maryland team, I voted for "UMD in a close one."
Your pick for Maryland was the only sensible pick, but they still have to play the game.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Agreed. I think it’ll be close but Maryland wins.

Watch the YouTube highlights of their first game. It wasn’t the blowout the score suggested. Shellenberger and Moore got free a bunch in that first half. It also looked like Schutz was able to barrel past some defenders. Cormier kept shaking his defender close to the cage.

The issue was possessions.

One other note: UVA looked imo like they got away with tons of cheap shots in that game: late hits, slashes, cross checks, etc. The DC refs let a ton of penalties slide, mostly if not all on UVA. If UVA gets behind in this game, that chippiness could result in a ton of EMO’s for the Terps.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Who wins? The Ivy, because this game is even happening in the quarters. Congrats, fellas
Last edited by Laxter on Mon May 16, 2022 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Laxter wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:05 pm Who wins? The Ivy, because this game is even happening in the quarters. Congrats, fellas
Five dimensional chess, my friend!
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Here's what I said back in March after the first Terps-UVa game:
Here’s how you beat the Terps: win 60% of draws against Wierman, draw slides when Alex Smith loses his man then move the ball to the open shooter, get Ajax out of position and beat him with speed from the X, shoot a very high percentage, hope Maryland turns the ball over 20 times with alot of unforced errors, and protect the ball on your own end. The Terps are going to score 15 goals regardless, so you have to beat them on the other end.
Smith has gotten healthy, and Ajax has locked it down, so much so that he just made 3rd-team AA. But that being said, UVa has been the one team the last couple of years that has been able to create their own looks against the Terps close defense (against both Grill and Makar last year). And they have been able to rotate the Maryland D to get guys like Cormier and Dickson open. They did this a few times at Audi Field, and several times in last year's natty.

The big x-factors are obviously UVa's health, and how much their younger players have improved since March. They seemed to be relatively healthy in the first game, but you never know... LaSalla and Moore could have been carrying some minor injuries. Believe Kastner was not 100% either, and Khan took advantage. I would look for Tillman to switch that match-up and give Kastner a different look.

One thing that hasn't been talked about much is UVa's depth, and close defense after Kastner and Saustad. I like most Maryland matchups on Matsui, and I think they exploited him back in March. Don't know much about their second midfield, other than that Garno and Zinn aren't great shooters.

But like everyone else has said... LaSalla owning the face-off dot is critical for UVa. If Weirman can win 50-55% at the dot, Maryland will just grind UVa down like they do to everyone else.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

This is great analysis, all. I really cannot wait to watch this game. Two great coaches at the top of their games as well as so many unbelievably talented players.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

And I think there would need to be some luck and good bounces for UVA -- UVA hitting some pipes, etc.
FIFY
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Wheels wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:00 pm
And I think there would need to be some luck and good bounces for UVA -- UVA hitting some pipes, etc.
FIFY
lol.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I was really impressed with LaSalla against Brown. He seems much larger than the 5' 7", 185 lbs listed on the UVA website.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i'll take:
faceoffs and saves adding up to 100% as someone posted somewhere.
even on turnovers.
win at least slightly the clear/ride game.
and go with what won the last several years... allowing shorties to try to win their matchups, sprinkle in hard doubles not slide and recover that maryland kills with ball movement.
speed up the game on umd's clear as long as they're not killing it with transition.
get some transition/early offense when possible.

and take our chances. won't get all of those, but some would help.

shoot for an equal % would help, too, but probably not happening. so volume and back up?
Laxmom19970

Post by Laxmom19970 »

I don’t know much about lacrosse but if you wanted to compare Ivy beer to BIG10 beer, spotted cow at UWisconsin kicks the lax bro out of flower power, which I do like, but no contest. I spent lots of hours at creekers and Ithaca brewing co, as well as at many establishments in Madison, so I feel I can speak with authority. As for the games, hmmm. Saw Umd twice this season. Very hard to beat and I don’t think uva quite has it this year, but maybe an ivy can pull the upset!
I’ve enjoyed so many of your posts! Hours of entertainment, truly.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”