UMD in a close one
39%
UVa in a close one
21%

Total votes: 87

nyjay

Re: Virginia v Maryland

Post by nyjay »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:27 pm I don’t know if there’s an all time great player like Syracuse had with Gait or Princeton with that attack line, or Hopkins with Harrison but there wasn’t really one of those on the 06 UVA squad; but they just not only had no weaknesses, everything on the team is a strength.

I mean, there’s a good chance they finish the season with the #1 offense, #1 defense, and #1 FO in the country. That’s never happening again. There’s a reason there hasn’t been an undefeated team in 16 years and some never would be again. It’s so incredibly hard to put together a team this deep, this strong everywhere, with all america talent at every spot on the field.

Perhaps they finish the job next weekend, and as long as Tillman is on the sidelines they are a safe bet to be playing in Final Fours, but I’d be shocked if we saw *this* again and saw a three-peat like Princeton had. UVA just showed us how hard that is; with the injuries they suffered and just not having the juice they had in 2019 or 21
You may be right. It just feels inevitable. And I can't explain exactly why. Which makes me think it could happen again next year, and the next year . . .

Pretty clear which was the best team today, but which one was most talented? UVa is loaded. And Lars is a truly excellent coach. And it wasn't remotely close. Scary. And I don't think the transfer portal changes that.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Gatsby wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:38 pm
1766 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:53 pm Well there goes the narrative that was the national title game and ND could have beaten Maryland.

The committee got it right.
UVA drew closer to MD by 2 goals in this game compared with its regular season game against MD (going from an 11-goal difference to a 9-goal difference).

If ND drew closer to MD by by 2 goals compared with its regular season game against MD (going from a 2-goal difference to a 0-goal difference), it's certainly possible ND could have beaten MD.
Give the ND stuff a rest. As stated by several people they went 0-4 against all tournament teams. No one cares you lost to MD by two earlier in the season
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

nyjay wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:52 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:27 pm I don’t know if there’s an all time great player like Syracuse had with Gait or Princeton with that attack line, or Hopkins with Harrison but there wasn’t really one of those on the 06 UVA squad; but they just not only had no weaknesses, everything on the team is a strength.

I mean, there’s a good chance they finish the season with the #1 offense, #1 defense, and #1 FO in the country. That’s never happening again. There’s a reason there hasn’t been an undefeated team in 16 years and some never would be again. It’s so incredibly hard to put together a team this deep, this strong everywhere, with all america talent at every spot on the field.

Perhaps they finish the job next weekend, and as long as Tillman is on the sidelines they are a safe bet to be playing in Final Fours, but I’d be shocked if we saw *this* again and saw a three-peat like Princeton had. UVA just showed us how hard that is; with the injuries they suffered and just not having the juice they had in 2019 or 21
You may be right. It just feels inevitable. And I can't explain exactly why. Which makes me think it could happen again next year, and the next year . . .

Pretty clear which was the best team today, but which one was most talented? UVa is loaded. And Lars is a truly excellent coach. And it wasn't remotely close. Scary. And I don't think the transfer portal changes that.
I think the success of the Ivy League in 2022 shows that the transfer portal and extra year of eligibility are not the bellwether for success for most teams that some think. It's still good old fashioned high school recruiting and coaching. Maryland has had success, but UVA won last season without dipping in and Duke's chemistry has been hurt by the 5th year players they brought in.
Last edited by Chousnake on Sun May 22, 2022 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

I don't know if we'll ever see an offense like this again. Yes, we will see schematic attempts at it, but it takes a couple of things to pull it off.

First, you have 6 guys that can win match ups. They might do it in different ways, but all 6 guys on the field can win a one-on-one match up. You also have, even with the 2nd MF line in, at least 4 guys who can sling it from 15 yards (Malever, Long, and Koras do more damage closer). So you've 6 guys on the field at all times who can hurt a defense in multiple ways. This is the reason why Matlz went to the bench this year. Teams would short him, and he hasn't developed good enough dodging skills.

Second, all 6 guys on the field are basically coaches on the field. Their ability to read and react, move to open spaces, and understand the flow of a possession are really next level. This is how they can plan position-less lacrosse. Their individual lacrosse IQs are off the charts. The offense is never unbalanced. It's why switching defenses on them doesn't even slow them down for more than 10 seconds when it would normally take signals from the sidelines and sending the ball around the perimeter to see what's going on. Not these guys.

Finally, they're all willing to share. Maybe that's the one piece that can be replicated from year to year because it's the culture of the program. If you don't share the ball, if you don't sacrifice the good shot for the better shot, you'll get sent to the bench.

Still, to get all three of those things happening every year is probably too much to ask for.

I thought last year was special because of Bernhardt. His athleticism was so off the charts that he could change an entire game. This year is even better because the top 9 offensive players are so selfless. Bernhardt was the cheat code last year. The collective skill, IQ, and selflessness of this team is the cheat code.

I don't think we'll ever see it again.

I can't remember the last time I saw a team collectively function at such a high level. Maybe one of Jordan's Bulls teams?

In the academic study of teams in companies, there's a term called the "assembly bonus effect." It's the idea that the team functions at a higher performance rate than the additive performance of each team member would suggest. That the mix of skills and performance creates an additional bonus effect of performance.

Companies chase this assembly bonus effect, but it's rarely been empirically validated. It's more like a theory. Yet, I feel like that's what we're seeing with these Terps.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Is UVa loaded, though? I think their lack of depth is what killed them today. When Shell and Moore got shut down, Dickson and Cormier couldn’t fill the void. If Jeff Conner is your leading scorer, you’re in big trouble. On the defensive side, beyond Saustad and Kastner there weren’t alot of world beaters. The rope-unit was particularly mediocre. And Nunes had another sub-50% game - understandable against the Terps, but not unusual for him either.

The Terps have as much or more talent in every position group. I’d take Wierman over Lasalla, McNaney over Nunes, Geppert over Wayer, any of our SSDMs over any of UVa’s (and the PLL agrees with me), any of our top 4 middies over any of UVa’s (assuming Moore is out on attack). Wisnauskas vs Shellenberger is a wash. Saustad/Kastner vs Zap/Makar is a wash, but I’d take Rahill over Matsui. In fact probably the only guy on UVa I take over his Maryland counterpart is Moore over the Terps #2 attacker, either Khan or Malever.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:36 pm

Is UVa loaded, though? I think their lack of depth is what killed them today. When Shell and Moore got shut down, Dickson and Cormier couldn’t fill the void. If Jeff Conner is your leading scorer, you’re in big trouble. On the defensive side, beyond Saustad and Kastner there weren’t alot of world beaters. The rope-unit was particularly mediocre. And Nunes had another sub-50% game - understandable against the Terps, but not unusual for him either.

The Terps have as much or more talent in every position group. I’d take Wierman over Lasalla, McNaney over Nunes, Geppert over Wayer, any of our SSDMs over any of UVa’s (and the PLL agrees with me), any of our top 4 middies over any of UVa’s (assuming Moore is out on attack). Wisnauskas vs Shellenberger is a wash. Saustad/Kastner vs Zap/Makar is a wash, but I’d take Rahill over Matsui. In fact probably the only guy on UVa I take over his Maryland counterpart is Moore over the Terps #2 attacker, either Khan or Malever.
Maybe that's right. I'm not sure though. And if this isn't an extraordinarily loaded Terps team, us non-Terps fans are in for a long ride. It's a beautiful machine this year, for sure. And you didn't even mention Murphy . . . .
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

nyjay wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:57 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:36 pm

Maybe that's right. I'm not sure though. And if this isn't an extraordinarily loaded Terps team, us non-Terps fans are in for a long ride. It's a beautiful machine this year, for sure. And you didn't even mention Murphy . . . .
He’s actually #4 on my list of middies. ;)
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

1766 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:44 pm
Gatsby wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:29 pm
1766 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:43 pm
Gatsby wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:38 pm
1766 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:53 pm Well there goes the narrative that was the national title game and ND could have beaten Maryland.

The committee got it right.
UVA drew closer to MD by 2 goals in this game compared with its regular season game against MD (going from an 11-goal difference to a 9-goal difference).

If ND drew closer to MD by by 2 goals compared with its regular season game against MD (going from a 2-goal difference to a 0-goal difference), it's certainly possible ND could have beaten MD.
Uva beat ND. They were the so called Acc champions. Maryland just made Uva call them daddy.

This incredible narrative of ND being some giant killer is nauseating. They weren't even tournament worthy. You would have thought that Uva getting destroyed would have settled this.
You know who else destroyed UVA? Duke. By a lot. Nine goals.

You know who beat Duke? Notre Dame. Twice.

Maryland is at the top of the heap, no doubt. But if you're using the transitive property to show that UVA beat ND and MD beat UVA so MD would beat ND, there's also other common-opponent evidence, like Duke, and most notably, the head-to-head MD vs ND game this season to show it was much closer. As others pointed out, ND was playing their best lacrosse at the end of the season, so who knows what the outcome would have been.
ND very well may have been playing their best lacrosse at the end of the season. So what? A lot of teams are. Unfortunately for ND they keep score in the first half of the season too.

ND had their chances. 0-4 against tournament teams. The rest is window dressing. They won 0 meaningful games.
They were playing their best lacrosse the last 6 because they finally got to start playing their conference games. Ha
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

nyjay wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:17 pm Correct answer. Doesn't really seem to matter who made the tourney other the MD, cuz MD is winning it.

The scary thing about this to me (as a non-MD fan), is that I don't see any world-class players on this team. Wis is awesome (and a deserving Tewey winner), but Bernhardt was better. They're all just really, really good and do their jobs to perfection. I don't see why this version of the Terps can't just go on an on year after year just plugging whatever new guys they have into this system and continuing to dominate. I mean, Ajax Zappatello? Who the f is that and where did he come from? No idea, but the dude is apparently really excellent. Maybe I'm being unfair to the current talent on the team (and I hope I am), but if I'm not, we could be looking at a era a dominance in College Park.
So most of the buzz about this team is rightfully the offense. But I actually think IL had it right when they did their all american team. You had Donville and Wisnauskas on the first team, and Long as an HM. That's it on the offensive side (though perhaps I think Demaio over Long was the right move). Lotta players who can just play and share otherwise, and a dominant faceoff guy who gets them the ball.

And if you manage to disrupt that offense and get some possessions, you get to the unsung part of the team.

On the defensive side, realize that every single starter on the defense was named all american by IL. Makar & Zap were 1st and 3rd team, Rahill and Geppert as HM. And then Puglise as a 1st team SSDM...with Higgins and Fairman as HM. McNaney as HM.

Yes, that means the entire starting defense earned individual honors (plus an extra SSDM). And not only are they talented individually, they play together beautifully. So if you get some possessions...you get to face this defense.

Considering who they were facing, I have never seen the quality of on-ball defense we just saw from Makar and Zappitello on Schellenberger and Moore. Schellenberger is so quick, and so deadly with either hand...but Zappitello just played him in space and was pressuring him everywhere. Moore got absolutely bodied by Makar. Those two guys are so, so good.

So you may not see a Bernhardt, but I think what you are seeing from the Terps is world class defense.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:20 pm I don't know if we'll ever see an offense like this again. Yes, we will see schematic attempts at it, but it takes a couple of things to pull it off.
You left out one thing, which is faceoffs. Having a big possession advantage in nearly every game lets the offense get into a rhythm and tires out defenses — both physically and mentally. The offense wouldn't be as efficient without faceoffs tilting the field and indeed it wasn't last year when faceoffs were the only real "weakness" of the team. Wierman's improvement is the storyline of the Terps season and is what has allowed the offense to go from great to historically great. IMO he is your clear-cut MVP, above Wisnauskas, Benson, Makar, or anyone else.
lorin

Post by lorin »

PulpExposure wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:23 am
nyjay wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:17 pm Correct answer. Doesn't really seem to matter who made the tourney other the MD, cuz MD is winning it.

The scary thing about this to me (as a non-MD fan), is that I don't see any world-class players on this team. Wis is awesome (and a deserving Tewey winner), but Bernhardt was better. They're all just really, really good and do their jobs to perfection. I don't see why this version of the Terps can't just go on an on year after year just plugging whatever new guys they have into this system and continuing to dominate. I mean, Ajax Zappatello? Who the f is that and where did he come from? No idea, but the dude is apparently really excellent. Maybe I'm being unfair to the current talent on the team (and I hope I am), but if I'm not, we could be looking at a era a dominance in College Park.
So most of the buzz about this team is rightfully the offense. But I actually think IL had it right when they did their all american team. You had Donville and Wisnauskas on the first team, and Long as an HM. That's it on the offensive side (though perhaps I think Demaio over Long was the right move). Lotta players who can just play and share otherwise, and a dominant faceoff guy who gets them the ball.

And if you manage to disrupt that offense and get some possessions, you get to the unsung part of the team.

On the defensive side, realize that every single starter on the defense was named all american by IL. Makar & Zap were 1st and 3rd team, Rahill and Geppert as HM. And then Puglise as a 1st team SSDM...with Higgins and Fairman as HM. McNaney as HM.

Yes, that means the entire starting defense earned individual honors (plus an extra SSDM). And not only are they talented individually, they play together beautifully. So if you get some possessions...you get to face this defense.

Considering who they were facing, I have never seen the quality of on-ball defense we just saw from Makar and Zappitello on Schellenberger and Moore. Schellenberger is so quick, and so deadly with either hand...but Zappitello just played him in space and was pressuring him everywhere. Moore got absolutely bodied by Makar. Those two guys are so, so good.

So you may not see a Bernhardt, but I think what you are seeing from the Terps is world class defense.
Tewey not sure about that,
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

No argument that MD's O, D, an FO is dominant, but the coaching is pretty damn good too. How many MD goals were direct results of taking advantage in the sub game? The Terps absolutely schooled them in that aspect. There was one time early when a VA offensive middie got trapped on D and was abused. After that, VA mids were desperate to get off and got fooled multiple times by the Puglisi U-Turn.
molo

Post by molo »

Call FSF a Princeton alum, not a graduate.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:43 am
Wheels wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:20 pm I don't know if we'll ever see an offense like this again. Yes, we will see schematic attempts at it, but it takes a couple of things to pull it off.
You left out one thing, which is faceoffs. Having a big possession advantage in nearly every game lets the offense get into a rhythm and tires out defenses — both physically and mentally. The offense wouldn't be as efficient without faceoffs tilting the field and indeed it wasn't last year when faceoffs were the only real "weakness" of the team. Wierman's improvement is the storyline of the Terps season and is what has allowed the offense to go from great to historically great. IMO he is your clear-cut MVP, above Wisnauskas, Benson, Makar, or anyone else.
Very true.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Will all the Big Timers who are available participate in this
historic weekend for the Terps ?

Will they all, health and timing permitting, be at Final Four
weekend ?

Urso,
Dougherty,
Boneillo,
Radebaugh,
Worstell,
Rambo,
et al ?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

10stone5 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:42 am Will all the Big Timers who are available participate in this

weekend ?

Urso,
Dougherty,
Boneillo,
Radebaugh,
Worstell,
Rambo,
et al ?
Urso's Garnet Valley team is in the play-back for the District One bracket tomorrow. If they win, they play again the 26th and are in the state playoffs. Don't know about Doc's team. Gotta think Rambo will be there. I wonder about Jared. Are NFL rookie camps happening still this weekend?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:28 pm anybody know where the postgame press conferences can be found?
UVA
https://youtu.be/FdnmfMlBzcs

Maryland
https://youtu.be/wKbHc88eQ8k

Post by 1766 »

Cheeseandcrackers wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:54 am No argument that MD's O, D, an FO is dominant, but the coaching is pretty damn good too. How many MD goals were direct results of taking advantage in the sub game? The Terps absolutely schooled them in that aspect. There was one time early when a VA offensive middie got trapped on D and was abused. After that, VA mids were desperate to get off and got fooled multiple times by the Puglisi U-Turn.
No question that Lars Tiffany was outcoached. The team was outplayed, but Maryland's staff won the game between the ears too.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

1766 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:14 pm
Cheeseandcrackers wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:54 am No argument that MD's O, D, an FO is dominant, but the coaching is pretty damn good too. How many MD goals were direct results of taking advantage in the sub game? The Terps absolutely schooled them in that aspect. There was one time early when a VA offensive middie got trapped on D and was abused. After that, VA mids were desperate to get off and got fooled multiple times by the Puglisi U-Turn.
No question that Lars Tiffany was outcoached. The team was outplayed, but Maryland's staff won the game between the ears too.
Tiffany is a great coach. I think he just didn’t have the horses to run with Maryland - despite all of the talk about UVa being the second best team in the nation. I think Princeton will give the Terps a better game.

It’s interesting comparing Tillman and Tiffany. Both are great tournament coaches; Tiffany proved this at both Brown and UVa, while Tillman’s record of making the FFs and championship games is unparalleled in the current era. Both are excellent recruiters (either via the portal or from the prep ranks). Both have implemented a great culture at their programs.

I think Tiffany can absolutely squeeze the best possible performance out of his teams in big games, moreso than anyone else in the country. He knows how to prepare them for those moments when everything is on the line.

Tillman is the best developer of talent in the country. His players get significantly better year on year. Looking at just this year’s team, Wierman, McNaney, Puglise, Zapitello, Malever, and Geppert have all shown significant growth since even last year.

And Tillman is the best program builder in the country. Year by year he has built the Maryland program in multiple aspects, from improving talent, to building depth, to innovating schemes, to developing Tewaraaton candidates (Wisnauskas will be the third in five years - the first three Terps to win it).

I believe Tillman will end up the more successful coach when all is said and done… but that’s like saying Gibbs had a more successful career than Shula. You’d take either one in an instant.

I do think Buczek may join them in a few years.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Wheels wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:53 pm
10stone5 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:42 am Will all the Big Timers who are available participate in this

weekend ?

Urso,
Dougherty,
Boneillo,
Radebaugh,
Worstell,
Rambo,
et al ?
Urso's Garnet Valley team is in the play-back for the District One bracket tomorrow. If they win, they play again the 26th and are in the state playoffs. Don't know about Doc's team. Gotta think Rambo will be there. I wonder about Jared. Are NFL rookie camps happening still this weekend?
It would be asking a lot, too much maybe.

Maybe after, should the best case come to pass,
have a gathering of all those Maryland all timers, maybe
have some of the Beardmore clan there as well.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”