Coaching Carousel-2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wahoomurf

Re: Coaching Carousel-2022

Post by wahoomurf »

DoubleD wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:32 pm IDK Tom Postel might be the greatest to ever play at Post. He's up there tho
The late Tom Postel WAS the greatest player to play at Post...hands down. And he is considered by many to be one of the best to ever play this game.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Agreed
molo

Post by molo »

I only saw Postel once, playing for LI versus Mt. Washington at Norris Field. The then veteran creaseman directed the offense with one hand on his stick and the other motioning to his teammates from his crease.
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

wahoomurf wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:21 pm
DoubleD wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:32 pm IDK Tom Postel might be the greatest to ever play at Post. He's up there tho
The late Tom Postel WAS the greatest player to play at Post...hands down. And he is considered by many to be one of the best to ever play this game.
I did say arguably .... I never saw Tom Postal play but they were two of the greatest and Postal had a great career as a coach there so now it may be the time to give McIntee the keys
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Head Coach
Providence -> Benson
St. John’s -> Turri
Bryant-> Ross
Manhattan -> Odierna
LIU -> Levine
NJIT -> Wolf
UMass Lowell -> Kelleher

Assistant Coach
Bellarmine Offense
Bryant -> Chris Gabrielli
Canisius Offense
Georgetown Offense
Holy Cross Offense -> Euker
Hopkins Offense -> Crawley
Lehigh Offense -> Matt Francis
LIU Offense
Maryland Offense
Michigan Offense
Navy Offense -> Mike Phipps
PSU Defense -> Bucci
Providence Offense
Providence Defense -> Casey Broderson
St. John's Offense
St. John's Defense -> Chris Fisher
UMass Lowell Offense
UMass Lowell Defense
UMBC Defense
Vermont Defense
Last edited by AreaLax on Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

A lot of alumni wanted McIntee to get the job. I think Jordan Levine was a great hire tho.
a fan

Post by a fan »

jersey shore lax wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:42 pm
I did say arguably .... I never saw Tom Postal play but they were two of the greatest and Postal had a great career as a coach there so now it may be the time to give McIntee the keys
Here ya go.....Postel playing with DeSimone and McEneaney on attack. Crazy.

Also has a sweet Miller light starring a then unknown Ted Danson....shooting trap (!) before having a cold one. Ah, life before US litigation.....

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNDiR3Vh8cA&t=1145s[/youtube]
Doxology

Post by Doxology »

wahoomurf wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:21 pm The late Tom Postel WAS the greatest player to play at Post...hands down. And he is considered by many to be one of the best to ever play this game.
David Kelly gets my vote.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

AreaLax wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:25 pm Head Coach
Providence -> Benson
St. John’s -> Turri
Bryant-> Ross
Manhattan -> Odierna
LIU -> Levine
NJIT -> Wolf
UMass Lowell -> Kelleher

Assistant Coach
Bellarmine Offense
Canisius Offense
Georgetown Offense
LIU Offense
Maryland Offense
Michigan Offense
PSU Defense -> Bucci
Providence Offense
St. John's Offense
UMass Lowell Offense
UMass Lowell Defense
UMBC Defense
Vermont Defense
Shouldn't manhattan be on the list as looking for an assistant coach/D Coordinator?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jersey shore lax wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:29 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:36 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:15 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:19 pm
jersey shore lax wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:30 am Tim McIntee

McIntee is probably best-known for elevating the Manhattan College lacrosse program to Division I status as the head coach of the Jaspers from November 1997 through June 2012. During his 15 seasons in Riverdale, he established Manhattan as a perennial contender in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, taking the Jaspers to the four-team MAAC Tournament seven times (2000, 2002, 2004-05 and 2008-10). His 2002 squad went undefeated (9-0) in conference play to capture the program’s first-ever MAAC Championship and automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. McIntee was named MAAC Coach of the Year for the second of three times in his career and the 11 victories that season were the most in team history. He is the winningest coach in Manhattan lacrosse history, compiling a 93 wins.

A graduate of LIUPost in Brookville, New York, with a degree in criminal justice, McIntee was a three-time NCAA All-American and a four-year letterwinner as a lacrosse midfielder

McIntee is also a 2011 LIU Post Hall of Fame inductee in both lacrosse and football.
And an absolute disaster at Dartmouth. Bad guy.
IMO.
:shock:

DocBarrister :shock:
yup.
Was an assistant at Dartmouth for two years and departed when Andy Towers was let go, he wasn't there long enough to do a good or bad job (IMHO) he was arguably the best player in LIU/CWPost history and has a tone of experience, lot's of "bad" guys in coaching, just win baby
no, he was very bad; both on field and off field culture.
He made a bad situation worse.
It became very obvious, very quickly.

You are correct that there are "lot's of "bad" guys in coaching"...and one could make the argument that some of those flaws make less difference at certain schools/situations...and..."just win baby".

But I think that does a disservice to the players and the sport, regardless of school...and, IMO, there are enough "good" guys out there who can and should coach who would, ultimately, be better for the players and the sport. Attract them, reward them, teach them to be the best coaches they can be, and give them the jobs... not the "bad" guys, regardless of whether the "bad" guy was a good player himself.

But I understand that not everyone agrees with that point of view.

"just win baby" is definitely compelling in the short term.
And it's certainly possible that a "bad" guy can deliver that 'winning', if that's the only priority.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

David Kelly was a sick defenseman. That team those yrs were legit and fun to watch. I had some good friends I grew up with on that team.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

Interesting that among all of the rumors connecting Jake Bernhardt to the Maryland OC job, and the timing of the UVM job posting; it's actually the UVM defensive assistant, Brian Kavanagh, who has vanished from the UVM staff website.

Have not heard anything yet about where he's heading, or if he's left the profession.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Head Coach
Providence -> Benson
St. John’s -> Turri
Bryant-> Ross
Manhattan -> Odierna
LIU -> Levine
NJIT -> Wolf
UMass Lowell -> Kelleher

Assistant Coach
Bellarmine Offense
Canisius Offense
Georgetown Offense
LIU Offense
Maryland Offense
Michigan Offense
PSU Defense -> Bucci
Providence Offense
St. John's Offense
Manhattan Defense
UMass Lowell Offense
UMass Lowell Defense
UMBC Defense
Vermont Defense
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Granted you did say arguably. I should have used the acronym IMHO. I played with him for 2 years in H.S., twice with Team USA and 6 years with the L.I. Lacrosse Club. (Those games against Mt. Washington were the most competitive in which I played). Tommy's smarts and tenacity made us all better.

Requiescat In Pace.
a fan

Post by a fan »

wahoomurf wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:08 pm
Granted you did say arguably. I should have used the acronym IMHO. I played with him for 2 years in H.S., twice with Team USA and 6 years with the L.I. Lacrosse Club. (Those games against Mt. Washington were the most competitive in which I played). Tommy's smarts and tenacity made us all better.

Requiescat In Pace.
So many questions. Especially about a sport that's not lacrosse.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

So u must have played with Mike Mcvay on LI express to? I played flag football with his son yrs back. That's awesome so u had ti be pretty damn good urself to play on those teams. I heard some crazy stories of all u guys playing back then. The game was crazy to. U had to be a tough SOB to play in those days. Different game then what it is today.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

no, he was very bad; both on field and off field culture.
He made a bad situation worse.
It became very obvious, very quickly.

You are correct that there are "lot's of "bad" guys in coaching"...and one could make the argument that some of those flaws make less difference at certain schools/situations...and..."just win baby".

But I think that does a disservice to the players and the sport, regardless of school...and, IMO, there are enough "good" guys out there who can and should coach who would, ultimately, be better for the players and the sport. Attract them, reward them, teach them to be the best coaches they can be, and give them the jobs... not the "bad" guys, regardless of whether the "bad" guy was a good player himself.

But I understand that not everyone agrees with that point of view.

"just win baby" is definitely compelling in the short term.
And it's certainly possible that a "bad" guy can deliver that 'winning', if that's the only priority.
I am not sure I agree with characterizing him as a "bad guy." I have asked a bunch of coaches about Tim and everyone has glowing things to say about him, but it is always with the caveat that he is not for everyone. My guess about his time in Hanover was that is was just a really bad fit all around. Towers (I know he is a great PLL coach) was a train wreck in every sense, and Tim was his assistant and was caught up in that. The entire culture was a mess and anyone around the program had choices to make. Tim's choices were probably not great, but from all accounts he is not an Ivy League type of guy.

As a HC he turned Manhattan into a quality program and by the looks of it has done well in his assistant roles since leaving Dartmouth. If I had to guess, he will stay on as an assistant to finish his career since his alma mater just passed on him. Remember, he was commuting from Long Island to Hanover and Mount St Marys... It looks like the island is where he will always be.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:08 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:08 pm

Requiescat In Pace.
So many questions. Especially about a sport that's not lacrosse.
"So many question" Not sure I understand.The sport is LACROSSE on fanlax.com.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

molo wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:40 pm I only saw Postel once, playing for LI versus Mt. Washington at Norris Field. The then veteran creaseman directed the offense with one hand on his stick and the other motioning to his teammates from his crease.
You refer to Jim "Mums" Martone.Like many Sewanhaka guys back then, he went to Maryland but quickly returned to The Waltz Inn (Stewart Manor) before his barstool got cold.

A one handed shot master. Of course when you had Postel,Alan Lowe,Lewis, et.al. feeding the crease....
oldskoollax

Post by oldskoollax »

AreaLax wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:25 pm Head Coach
Providence -> Benson
St. John’s -> Turri
Bryant-> Ross
Manhattan -> Odierna
LIU -> Levine
NJIT -> Wolf
UMass Lowell -> Kelleher

Assistant Coach