Loyola Greyhounds 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Exlaxbro

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2023

Post by Exlaxbro »

As a defense guy my concern is there. Two great close defenders are back but who will fill the third spot and what happens if one gets banged up? We do not know much about who is on the depth chart close. LSM should be ok. Middleton did a nice job this year and I think Roman will be good in time.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Exlaxbro wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:58 am As a defense guy my concern is there. Two great close defenders are back but who will fill the third spot and what happens if one gets banged up? We do not know much about who is on the depth chart close. LSM should be ok. Middleton did a nice job this year and I think Roman will be good in time.
I can answer this! I believe they have 4 good options as the third close D guy.

Alex bean is a natural defender so he can slot in to that spot since Kyle is graduating and moving on. There is also a Calder Vandenheuval who is described as a quintessential LSM and pole. He just didn’t get a ton of PT this year due to the Guys in front.

Diego Roman is expected to be very very good in the years to come. And then you have Josh Fairey who has all the tools to be an elite cover guy
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

They all sound good except none have any real significant playing time. The way Loyola opens their schedule, that third close defender wi th a new goalie will make things interesting.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Exlaxbro wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:22 pm They all sound good except none have any real significant playing time. The way Loyola opens their schedule, that third close defender wi th a new goalie will make things interesting.

When opportunity knocks…

I’m excited. I think the Hounds have great pieces.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Exlaxbro wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:22 pm They all sound good except none have any real significant playing time. The way Loyola opens their schedule, that third close defender wi th a new goalie will make things interesting.
It’s expected that third guy will be new and inexperienced in terms of playing time because of the way the defense was set this year with all the senior/grad students playing.

Believe me, they’re up to the challenge.

This schedule has no gimmies. If you thought 2022’s schedule was tough, there is a very solid chance that 2023 will be even more difficult
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Laxmaninamillion

Post by Laxmaninamillion »

Let’s hope rankings mean something. 2020 class had three guys ranked in top 100. Lindsey, Higgins and Stout. All three will be important this year. 2021 class had McGory who didn’t see much playing time last year but will be needed this year. 2022 class has a bunch of 4⭐️ Recruits especially at attack where Millon should be top 100 and see some time. Only time will tell but rankings USUALLY indicate a kid is good.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:41 pm Let’s hope rankings mean something. 2020 class had three guys ranked in top 100. Lindsey, Higgins and Stout. All three will be important this year. 2021 class had McGory who didn’t see much playing time last year but will be needed this year. 2022 class has a bunch of 4⭐️ Recruits especially at attack where Millon should be top 100 and see some time. Only time will tell but rankings USUALLY indicate a kid is good.
If what I’m thinking of is correct then I’m sure your kid will get runs as one of the options for the 4th attackman. There’s a big influx of young talent coming in and I’m sure the staff will utilize some young sophomores and freshmen for 2023.

There is a good crop of juniors waiting to get their licks in. The cupboard certainly is not bare
Last edited by houndace1 on Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

houndace1 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:11 pm
Laxmaninamillion wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:41 pm Let’s hope rankings mean something. 2020 class had three guys ranked in top 100. Lindsey, Higgins and Stout. All three will be important this year. 2021 class had McGory who didn’t see much playing time last year but will be needed this year. 2022 class has a bunch of 4⭐️ Recruits especially at attack where Millon should be top 100 and see some time. Only time will tell but rankings USUALLY indicate a kid is good.
If what I’m thinking of is correct then I’m sure you’re kid will get runs as one of the options for the 4th attackman. There’s a big influx of young talent coming in and I’m sure the staff will utilize some young sophomores and freshmen for 2023.

There is a good crop of juniors waiting to get their licks in. The cupboard certainly is not bare
Here is the top returning production measured by PPG...there is a top 5 and then a huge drop off...

James- 37 Games - 61G/23A/84Points - 2.3PPG
Kamish 26 Games - 36G/17A/53Points - 2.0PPG
Poitras 38 Games - 45G/27A/72Points - 1.9PPG
Lindsey 15 Games - 8G/20A/28Points - 1.8PPG
Higgins 31 Games - 21G/19A/40Points - 1.3PPG

Those 5 have experience, have all produced in big spots and will be a big part of the Hounds offense in 2023

Beyond those 5, there will be opportunities for new faces to play and compete and contribute...

IMO this will be a perfect case of having a good mix of production and experience (see above) and some new young talent.

With respect to rankings...those are for window dressing...unless your in a can’t miss category top 10/20 recruit, the next 150-200 are very close to each other. Minimal difference from a kid ranked 65 and a kid ranked 125...

All the guys I’ve listed are 4 star recruits

We have some nice 4 star recruits that have not played and we have what we think/hope will be some nice parts coming in. Time will tell, but plenty of opportunity for a set of guys to play alongside the top 5 guys we have coming back

See what happens when the fall hits

Cheers

Go Hounds!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:17 pm
If what I’m thinking of is correct then I’m sure you’re kid will get runs as one of the options for the 4th attackman. There’s a big influx of young talent coming in and I’m sure the staff will utilize some young sophomores and freshmen for 2023.

Here is the top returning production measured by PPG...there is a top 5 and then a huge drop off...

Those 5 have experience, have all produced in big spots and will be a big part of the Hounds offense in 2023

Beyond those 5, there will be opportunities for new faces to play and compete and contribute...

IMO this will be a perfect case of having a good mix of production and experience (see above) and some new young talent.

With respect to rankings...those are for window dressing...unless your in a can’t miss category top 10/20 recruit, the next 150-200 are very close to each other. Minimal difference from a kid ranked 65 and a kid ranked 125...

We have some nice 4 star recruits that have not played and we have what we think/hope will be some nice parts coming in. Time will tell, but plenty of opportunity for a set of guys to play alongside the top 5 guys we have coming back

Cheers

Go Hounds!

I’d add that Maryland’s success at skip passing, transition shooting, and transition substitutions will certainly cause Charley and MVA to rethink the offense. It obviously helps to have outside snipes, so hopefully we find a few.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:03 am

Cheers

Go Hounds!

I’d add that Maryland’s success at skip passing, transition shooting, and transition substitutions will certainly cause Charley and MVA to rethink the offense. It obviously helps to have outside snipes, so hopefully we find a few.
That’s the thing that made me super skeptical with this years offense.

They would get the GB or Sam throws an outlet pass to the LSM’s or short sticks to run in transition for tthem to then not try to take many shots on fast break scenarios.

The only games I can recall that they tried to play quick strike offense was in the hopkins game, a couple times against Duke, Navy and then army the first time. Most of these games I listed had successful shots that turned into goals. Yet, they tried to make the offense too much of 6v6 which made it such a chore to operate.

Skip passes- lindsey and olmstead were the only ones who tried skip passes after so much adjacent passing, I think this should at least be addressed
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:11 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:03 am

Cheers

Go Hounds!

That’s the thing that made me super skeptical with this years offense.

They would get the GB or Sam throws an outlet pass to the LSM’s or short sticks to run in transition for tthem to then not try to take many shots on fast break scenarios.

The only games I can recall that they tried to play quick strike offense was in the hopkins game, a couple times against Duke, Navy and then army the first time. Most of these games I listed had successful shots that turned into goals. Yet, they tried to make the offense too much of 6v6 which made it such a chore to operate.

Skip passes- lindsey and olmstead were the only ones who tried skip passes after so much adjacent passing, I think this should at least be addressed
Skip passing should absolutely be addressed but the core issue is when the ball dies in certain players sticks for long periods of time, that nullifies any opportunity to skip...bottom line is the ball needs to move much faster, guys need to be quicker in decision making to put more pressure on the opposing defense...way way too many times last year we got 1v1 oriented while dodging and didn’t move the ball on when we should have. Maryland’s offensive success is predicated on of course elite talent...but more so on extremely fast ball movement and decision making...when you move the ball on, skip passes become more available....move the ball fast

As far as transition. We were not consistent or good in transition last year...our shorties were good in a few games in transition, but not many...and in far too many games they took bad shots that should have been dumped down to an attack. Instead those bad shots led to run outs the other way. I’m a huge fan of taking a very good, physically able offensive mid and making him a shortie on D...the best teams in America this year had elite SSDM groups that all were very good offensively. Gotta have the right personnel to give them the green light. Frankly it’s a lacrosse IQ discussion. Every situation is different and guys need to know when they have the opportunity to press and also when it’s best to slo down...

Anyway, I agree with the discussion as we need to find better ways to press next year.

Go Hounds!
Laxmaninamillion

Not disagreeing with anything said here but biggest issue last year was 2nd line middies. Bateman, Wigley and Seay scored 31 goals in 2021. They scored 5 in 2022. Seay had 2 in opener v MD in garbage time and never scored again. Bateman had zero G and 1 A yet was on man-up late in year. Need production from that 2nd line group to win. Houston, McGory, Binney, etc…need to produce. If they don’t Charlie and Van have to be willing to move Freshmen in and give them the opportunity to produce. Didn’t happen last year and that’s a major reason season ended like it did.
billyd

Post by billyd »

I know that I will get blow back from what I am about to say, but we need to look at the root problems of this team. And I know that there is an unwritten rule of parents should not post, but I believe the whole picture needs to been seen. My son is one that may or may not come back next year. It is his decision to make. This team under achieved and did not live up to expectations.

My son has given insight of what occurred.

1. One of the major talking points that the coaches was the culture of Loyola, that players do not leave Loyola, players want to come to Loyola. What we are seeing are multiple players entering the portal for a variety of reasons, which I believe will be discussed below. The culture seems to of self satisfaction and gratification., several players leaving team due to outside issues. There was no leadership from the fifth year players. No holding players accountable for their actions. Sometimes you leaders are not the best players on the team

2. Academics, again a talking point of the program was strong academic support. Not so much, very weak at best. Academic advisor was a joke

3. Loyola seems to take any player no matter what baggage they bring to the program. They will have different rules for different players. Hold some accountable for issues and others not. No consistency. And players see this.

4. Players did not play based on skill, many younger players played because the coaches felt these players would leave the program. Dont get me wrong these players have ability, but were they better than a Jr or Sr. So the feeling on the team is that they sacrificed older players play time to make the younger player happy. Plus it was well known on the team that it is who you know or your parents that got you the edge. there was definitely favoritism

5. Coaching, we did the same thing day in and day out and expecting a different outcome. I read on this board, but we only lost by one. That is a BS excuse. We were beating Rutgers, Hopkins, Army going into the fourth and could not complete the game. Coaches did not coach kids up. We had a 5th year attack that had 40 + turnovers, almost as many turnovers as total points. You had SSDMs that would get beat routinely and no change or correction. And they probably cost a couple of games. Players would not practice all week and still play. These decisions by the coaches cost Loyola a chance to play in the post season. Example, second line midfield, if you put others in there, i am confident they could have put up the same numbers as Bateman, Kamish, Wigley and Hueston

6. Lack of development of players, if they show in practice why not give them opportunities in games.

I know it seems like I am complaining, It is not airing dirty laundry, my son saw playtime, but what i worry about is complacency with this team. I want to see this team be playing Memorial day weekend. But it wont happen if Loyola keeps doing what they did last year
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

From what I have heard from others intimately involved in the program, you nailed everything. I am disappointed that Charley has not stood behind his talking points. One thing I heard kids loved about Loyola was a retreat they take in the fall to build that culture. Charley didn’t go this year. I am particularly saddened to see some freshman in the portal and now I see your son might be next (not sure he is a freshman though).
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Isn’t some of this just,

really higher level,

you’ve got as many as 6 Ivy teams who leapfrogged ahead of
any number of teams after most of the prior two years off.

That had a dramatic effect on any number of teams, Patriot
League, ACCs.

So, how do you now compete with an exceptionally crowded
field, are expectations being set correctly ?
Laxmaninamillion

billyd wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:06 am I know that I will get blow back from what I am about to say, but we need to look at the root problems of this team. And I know that there is an unwritten rule of parents should not post, but I believe the whole picture needs to been seen. My son is one that may or may not come back next year. It is his decision to make. This team under achieved and did not live up to expectations.

My son has given insight of what occurred.

1. One of the major talking points that the coaches was the culture of Loyola, that players do not leave Loyola, players want to come to Loyola. What we are seeing are multiple players entering the portal for a variety of reasons, which I believe will be discussed below. The culture seems to of self satisfaction and gratification., several players leaving team due to outside issues. There was no leadership from the fifth year players. No holding players accountable for their actions. Sometimes you leaders are not the best players on the team

2. Academics, again a talking point of the program was strong academic support. Not so much, very weak at best. Academic advisor was a joke

3. Loyola seems to take any player no matter what baggage they bring to the program. They will have different rules for different players. Hold some accountable for issues and others not. No consistency. And players see this.

4. Players did not play based on skill, many younger players played because the coaches felt these players would leave the program. Dont get me wrong these players have ability, but were they better than a Jr or Sr. So the feeling on the team is that they sacrificed older players play time to make the younger player happy. Plus it was well known on the team that it is who you know or your parents that got you the edge. there was definitely favoritism

5. Coaching, we did the same thing day in and day out and expecting a different outcome. I read on this board, but we only lost by one. That is a BS excuse. We were beating Rutgers, Hopkins, Army going into the fourth and could not complete the game. Coaches did not coach kids up. We had a 5th year attack that had 40 + turnovers, almost as many turnovers as total points. You had SSDMs that would get beat routinely and no change or correction. And they probably cost a couple of games. Players would not practice all week and still play. These decisions by the coaches cost Loyola a chance to play in the post season. Example, second line midfield, if you put others in there, i am confident they could have put up the same numbers as Bateman, Kamish, Wigley and Hueston

6. Lack of development of players, if they show in practice why not give them opportunities in games.

I know it seems like I am complaining, It is not airing dirty laundry, my son saw playtime, but what i worry about is complacency with this team. I want to see this team be playing Memorial day weekend. But it wont happen if Loyola keeps doing what they did last year
While I agree with much of what you said I have to disagree with the “they played younger guys so they wouldn’t leave” statement. No freshmen got real playing time. None played in any portion of a game when outcome was in doubt. Instead Seniors like Bateman and Seay and Wigley played. Kamish was hurt most of the season yet had a good season. He’s going to be a stud. Not sure if any of last year’s freshmen have talent. Three of them are in transfer portal or already left school (FOGO). Next years freshmen class is stacked. One of the top recruiting classes in Loyola history. They need to be given a chance as freshmen. Wasting a year on guys that don’t produce is exactly what happened last year and it shouldn’t happen again. Hopefully Charlie learned from this year.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

I’m watching some games from the most recent season, and I think the biggest question marks will come to faceoff and goalie due to Sam and Bailey graduating. However I think there’s some light with Luke and Eric as the presumed incumbent.

When luke staudt got playing time, you can audibly hear him shouting commands to the defense. He mad nice saves against Maryland and played ok in the Rutgers game. Let’s not forget, he was on track to break West Genesee’s record for most saves ever in program history before Covid hit and I believe he was the youngest GK to ever make their varsity team.

With some extra tutelage and confidence I believe he will learn and grow into this new starting role.

Eric was one of the top FO guys in the west and dominated the summer circuit. He took I think about 40% of faceoffs this season and was able to win some cleanly against talented guys. He’s a big strong kid where if he doesn’t win outright, he can certainly scrap with the wings to pick up the GB.

There will be some growing pains with the young team next year but these guys I think can help stable the ship
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Laxmaninamillion

With six 4⭐️ And three 3⭐️ Recruits coming to Loyola this fall, I’d like to see what people think of how well Toomey and company have done recruiting (or how well Inside Lacrosse has done evaluating Loyola’s recruits). The following are the recruits for the past four years (2018-2021) who were ranked in the top 100. Hit or miss?

9. Scanlon (2018)
46. Staudt (2020)
49. Wyers (2018)
59. Lindsay (2020)
59. McGory (2021)
85. Bateman (2018)
85. Higgins (2020)
90. Pridemore (2018)
93. James (2019)
95. Pacheco (2019)
97. Tietelbaum (2019)

I say hit on Wyers, Lindsay, Higgins and James
I say miss on Bateman, Pridemore and Tietelbaum
I say too early to tell on McGory, Pacheco and Staudt
I say bad judgment on Scanlon.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

You have to give this up. The Star system is flawed. Your son will either be able to handle it or not. What he has done to get to Loyola is great but he will start all over again in August. I hope he does well but some biggest contributors have no stars. Ask yourself how many stars Poitras, Evans, Hughes, Rezanka, Evans, etc. had coming in. It doesn’t matter. What matters is if they fit the system and if they can compete at that level. Some have argued on here that Toomey plays favorites and stars likely have nothing to do with that.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Exlaxbro wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:34 am You have to give this up. The Star system is flawed. Your son will either be able to handle it or not. What he has done to get to Loyola is great but he will start all over again in August. I hope he does well but some biggest contributors have no stars. Ask yourself how many stars Poitras, Evans, Hughes, Rezanka, Evans, etc. had coming in. It doesn’t matter. What matters is if they fit the system and if they can compete at that level. Some have argued on here that Toomey plays favorites and stars likely have nothing to do with that.
Stars and evaluations are almost irrelevant once on campus. Unless you are a top 10-20 kid, and they bust too, it’s almost negligible the difference between a kid ranked 50 and 150...it’s about the kid and how he fits

What was Kamish ranked? He was easily trending as the best freshman in the 2019 Loyola class, started at attack and had a star trajectory until a bad injury has hurt his path...Injuries happen but I wish he was 100% the last couple years...he would have been special by now

What was Poitras ranked? He’s in that same category as Kamish. Poitras is really good

James was barely ranked inside the top 100...he’s been very very productive/good for us

I pay almost zero attention to rankings

Look no further than Kamish, Poitras, and James to see kids that were not highly ranked yet are very good players at this level (if healthy). Those three (and we have many others) were very good gets for this staff

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”