Loyola Greyhounds 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxfan01

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2023

Post by Laxfan01 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:56 am Just to be clear, while the Ivies do limit the # of practice hours with coaches, there's a ton of pressure on conditioning and strength work done without the coaches. IMO, they, too, over do it relative to actual benefit. Diminishing returns can turn negative.

But more important than the total amount of work is the efficiency and the effectiveness for the specific athletic demands. There was and may in some cases continue to be, IMO, an over attention to putting on muscle bulk, raw "strength", rather than agility and stability, given natural body size. That can, and IMO, does increase injury rates under the stresses of the actual sport requirements.

Coaches can put too much pressure on certain types of metrics, incentivizing work that ultimately is counterproductive.
Bingo. The truth is always somewhere in the middle. You can’t have your kids too big and bulky so that they can’t move, but they also can’t be ran into the ground before the season starts. Need an equal mix of power, speed, conditioning, and mobility. Of course this is easier said then done-I have worked with different collegiate athletes in different sports, and the sport of lacrosse in general is lagging behind football and basketball from a sports science standpoint. But, I could name a handful of programs that do it well (imo) and there is a strong positive correlation between those programs and who has success late in the season.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Laxfan01 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:35 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:56 am Just to be clear, while the Ivies do limit the # of practice hours with coaches, there's a ton of pressure on conditioning and strength work done without the coaches. IMO, they, too, over do it relative to actual benefit. Diminishing returns can turn negative.

But more important than the total amount of work is the efficiency and the effectiveness for the specific athletic demands. There was and may in some cases continue to be, IMO, an over attention to putting on muscle bulk, raw "strength", rather than agility and stability, given natural body size. That can, and IMO, does increase injury rates under the stresses of the actual sport requirements.

Coaches can put too much pressure on certain types of metrics, incentivizing work that ultimately is counterproductive.
Bingo. The truth is always somewhere in the middle. You can’t have your kids too big and bulky so that they can’t move, but they also can’t be ran into the ground before the season starts. Need an equal mix of power, speed, conditioning, and mobility. Of course this is easier said then done-I have worked with different collegiate athletes in different sports, and the sport of lacrosse in general is lagging behind football and basketball from a sports science standpoint. But, I could name a handful of programs that do it well (imo) and there is a strong positive correlation between those programs and who has success late in the season.
Curious which ones you think do it well. I assume you would say Maryland, UVA, Duke, Yale, maybe Notre Dame? Loyola certainly gets stronger in May generally. Even UNC with a national championship and a strong final 4 appearance could be deemed a late-season finisher.
kramerica.inc

Re: Congrats Aidan Olmstead

Post by kramerica.inc »

Yes, congrats to Loyola Maryland’s Aidan Olmstead being Named Patriot League Male Scholar-Athlete of the Year.

Quite an honor for Aidan in a league that prides itself on academic success.

Nice work by Loyola, the staff and players continuing to get it done on the field and in the classroom. I think Loyola had one of the highest athlete graduation rates in the nation as well, sitting at ~96%. Very impressive.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

News is a little light here during the summer, as it is for a majority of other programs. However I wanted to say that they just picked up a 2023 verbal recruit from Brady Quinn out in Florida.

I think that’s 7 commits in this class and they’re all from non traditional hot beds like florida, north Carolina, texas, california, Georgia. To me, this shows that the game is continuing to grow as coaches are able to find D-1 talent all over the country.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
lorin

Post by lorin »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:26 am News is a little light here during the summer, as it is for a majority of other programs. However I wanted to say that they just picked up a 2023 verbal recruit from Brady Quinn out in Florida.

I think that’s 7 commits in this class and they’re all from non traditional hot beds like florida, north Carolina, texas, california, Georgia. To me, this shows that the game is continuing to grow as coaches are able to find D-1 talent all over the country.
That's awesome keep it up. Look at the top scorers in D1.

Post by 1766 »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:26 am News is a little light here during the summer, as it is for a majority of other programs. However I wanted to say that they just picked up a 2023 verbal recruit from Brady Quinn out in Florida.

These states are starting or have been producing talent on par with anyone else. Maybe not the depth, but the top talent can compete with anyone. Look out for Ca. these next couple of years and beyond. I know this next class has a ton of high end D1 talent.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Next year will be interesting. I know what James, Poitras, Higgins and Kamish (when he's healthy) can do on the offensive end. And I think Lindsey will also do very well. But I'm very curious about some of the new offensive players coming in, as well as those Freshman last year who didn't get much playing time behind the Seniors and Grad students. I've heard good things about McGory and I'm hoping he lights it up. if so, that will add to our offensive output which just hasn't lived up to its potential (for the full season) for the past two years IMO.

And I know it's an overall team game where you need to win the face off and make stops at the Net...

Still, it's something to think about during these dog days of Summer.
Laxmaninamillion

Post by Laxmaninamillion »

NovaHound wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:03 pm Next year will be interesting. I know what James, Poitras, Higgins and Kamish (when he's healthy) can do on the offensive end. And I think Lindsey will also do very well. But I'm very curious about some of the new offensive players coming in, as well as those Freshman last year who didn't get much playing time behind the Seniors and Grad students. I've heard good things about McGory and I'm hoping he lights it up. if so, that will add to our offensive output which just hasn't lived up to its potential (for the full season) for the past two years IMO.

And I know it's an overall team game where you need to win the face off and make stops at the Net...

Still, it's something to think about during these dog days of Summer.
Heard all the hype about McGory last year. #50 ranked recruit etc…. If he was the answer then why didn’t he play much last year? Love the top five but need to find depth. Hope Houston comes through this year and hope McGory steps up also. If not then they have to give some youth a chance. Stop with playing the fifth year guys who did nothing last year and try out the young guns.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Don’t hold your breath on a lot of time for freshman. McGorry didn’t play much because there were bigger, faster, stronger and more experienced guys in front of him. Maybe not as skilled but the other things won the day. The backlog from covid will prohibit freshman playing much and the worst part of it is that the PL doesn’t allow redshirts unless it is for medical reasons.
Laxmaninamillion

Exlaxbro wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:58 pm Don’t hold your breath on a lot of time for freshman. McGorry didn’t play much because there were bigger, faster, stronger and more experienced guys in front of him. Maybe not as skilled but the other things won the day. The backlog from covid will prohibit freshman playing much and the worst part of it is that the PL doesn’t allow redshirts unless it is for medical reasons.
“Bigger, faster, stronger and more experienced guys in front of him” that didn’t produce. Bateman:zero goals; Seay: 2G in opener and zero next 15 games; Wigley: 4G. All played ahead of guys like McGory, Binney and Houston. Hope things change this year.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Unfortunately that is how it works at Loyola for the most part. Seniority takes precedent.
Laxmaninamillion

Exlaxbro wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:19 pm Unfortunately that is how it works at Loyola for the most part. Seniority takes precedent.
Maybe that’s a problem
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

A lot of programs would love to be Loyola and a lot of kids would love to play for Loyola and be on this roster…that has not changed and kids will continue to want to play for this staff

Let’s look at the macro view. Loyola is a great program. They’re one year removed from an NCAA appearance and they were almost in the final four in 2021…Duke made one more play but we could have won that game…one year removed

Was last year a challenge. Yup! They went 8-8 and things just never seemed connected but that’s over now

I see lots of commentary about offense here but almost no thoughts on what was an average at best defensive performance. We were average on D, our goaltending was a mess the first 4-5 games and was inconsistent all year. Our face off situation was above average and great in moments but was in inconsistent and not good in other moments…so it was on everyone…win as a team and lose as a team…every position group could have been better

So while we all want to question certain decisions, we need to look at the entire team. Not just offense. We had issues across the entire footprint last year.

Back to my point…Loyola is a marquee program with great cache. I trust the staff and am excited about seeing what’s coming in…Loyola had an average year last year and I think they will bounce back. I’m bullish!

For all those on hear calling for a youth movement…you now have a window for the young guys. Better be as good as some suggest on here…one thing for sure, being good vs High School competition does not auto equate to being a starter as a freshman at high level D1 playing Maryland, Hop, Rutgers, Duke, Georgetown, Army and on and on….but let’s see how it plays out

I feel pretty good about our top returning core on offense with 5 guys we NEED to have great seasons (James, Poitras, Kamish, Higgins, Lindsey)….

After that, it’s young guys go feast…IMO that leaves 5-6 opportunities for some serious PT or even starring roles…so the next group will get every chance to prove they belong…Hueston has battled injury his entire career…he finally got healthy late last year. Binney will get his chances again. McGory and the incoming freshman will also have chances to earn time…it’s on them…opportunity is there right now with the exits of Olmstead, Seay, Lindley, Wiggley

Loyola had an off year in 2022. This staff didn’t forget how to coach. I trust what they do, love the Hounds, and look forward to seeing some familiar guys along with some young talent build in the fall and get us ready for a great year in 2023…one average to below average year in 2022 is not a trend

Time to put all the speculation about what should have happened in 2022 behind us…I’m looking ahead to the possibilities of 2023

Go Hounds!!!
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

I don’t disagree with your assessment and appreciate you pointing out the defense. Hughes was good but the other two close defenders were inconsistent. Dwan never played other guys unless it was mop up. Maybe the other two were injured at times and the message sent was that nobody else is trusted to be out there. If that is true I would be very concerned about the defense this year-especially if one of the returning two get hurt. If the schedule opens with big hitters again this year, Loyola could be looking at another rough spring.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Exlaxbro wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:19 pm I don’t disagree with your assessment and appreciate you pointing out the defense. Hughes was good but the other two close defenders were inconsistent. Dwan never played other guys unless it was mop up. Maybe the other two were injured at times and the message sent was that nobody else is trusted to be out there. If that is true I would be very concerned about the defense this year-especially if one of the returning two get hurt. If the schedule opens with big hitters again this year, Loyola could be looking at another rough spring.
BTW, I brought up D and special teams only to point out that all playing groups…not just offense had inconsistent performance in 2022. All playing groups had moments of good and bad and hence it all boiled down to 8-8. One bad season does not make a trend…we are one year removed from the quarters with a lot of these guys back that helped get us there…

I’m looking ahead. Not back

We will have a tough schedule and we will play big boys…like we do every year and I love it

As far as defense coming back, we have some really good pieces….and we need some new young pieces.

But for all those calling for youth to step up and get playing time…well here we go…they are gonna be on the clock very soon and we will find out if they have what it takes to play at this level…their time is now. We know the veterans we will count on on both ends of the field but we have plenty of holes to fill. Lots of opportunity for young and new guys…here we go!

2023 is around the corner. Can’t wait

Go Hounds!
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Wanted to post again and say that they got another 2023 recruit!

Jake Wilson, Defenseman out of Darien high school in Connecticut.

Seems to me the program has established a pipeline into the CT based schools as Lindley, Bailey, Peter Swindell and some others have come from that state.

Welcome!!
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Laxmaninamillion

I see Annetta to Mercer and Seay to Jacksonville. Any idea if anyone else is leaving?
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:14 pm I see Annetta to Mercer and Seay to Jacksonville. Any idea if anyone else is leaving?
Apparently Yowan (G) is in the portal, but not clear if he will be leaving.

On the other hand, the Hounds have picked up Boys Latin product Cole Erickson from Army to bolster the midfield.
Olddog

Post by Olddog »

Yowan is currently not on 2023 roster.

https://loyolagreyhounds.com/sports/men ... sse/roster

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”