Loyola Greyhounds 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
houndace1

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2023

Post by houndace1 »

Exlaxbro wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:52 am Middleton is an LSM too. I think he and Roman could be a good 1-2 punch. Hughes and Wyers are solid there and with an inexperienced goalie they need stability. Especially with the third guy being a wild card.

I just don’t like Dwan’s style. He has always had good players. My impression is that he is lazy. He is easy to figure out which is partially why the d mids always seem to be an issue. I used to be a fan of Toomey but I think the game is changing and he and his staff have not. Good recruiting has not translated into Memorial Day. Even when they had a generational player a few years ago. I hope I am wrong but the needle is pointing down for me in evergreen.

My only point playing devils advocate is that they’ve been to Memorial Day before Pat, and they got to Memorial Day with him. They just ran into 3 buzzsaws Ohio state, Yale, and Penn state.

Talent can only get you so far but it needs excellent coaching to go hand in hand. The game has changed due to the shot clock and the dive. Let’s not forget that in 3 full seasons with this change he’s made two quarterfinals. In the entire 2010 decade he’s made 2 finals fours, won 1 chip, 3 first rounds, 2 quarters and won 5 conference tournaments. Most would dream of achieving something like this.

I’ve heard that playing D-mid at loyola is almost like a badge of honor where they put some of their toughest athletes because the position is such a bear to play. It’s worked out well for razanka currently and even when they had mintzlaff, begley, and the guys on their 2012-2014 teams excelled at the spot.

Sure, could Toomey have had a better result in 2022 with 3 years removed from Pat? Probably, but has the game passed him and his staff by? I don’t think so and so so many coaches. There is a reason why every year when rival coaches are asked about them, they say this staff is one of the best in the country. They get the absolute most of their kids and they bleed green and grey for this program
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

I hope you are right. I am talking about Memorial Day. Not the final four and losing. breast is 10 years removed from the ‘ship and 7 years since the last Memorial Day weekend. The true fans, for which I admit I am not, can make every excuse they want but the reality is Loyola is above average. If they do not get into the post season this spring then I would hope those that bleed green would start to wonder what needs to change. Interestingly when I talk to coaches off the record they generally either respect the heck out of this staff or think their time is over. Charley is one of the good ole boys and nobody will go on record bad mouthing him.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I don’t have a dog in the fight, but part of “running into a buzzsaw” is that they were unseeded in the tournament in 2017 and an 8 seed in 2019. Getting Yale in 2018 was a legit bad rub. But when you’re a low or unseeded team, you’re going to get a tough 1st Round or QF game. And think it’s fair to wonder whether they missed opportunities those years with Pat bc of some bad losses. Losing to Bucknell and BU in 2017 probably cost them a home game. Getting blown out by BU and then losing to Army in the Patriot League semifinals in 2019 probably cost them a Top 5 seed. That 2019 team was #1 early on and had tons of talent at every spot; being seeded 8 was below what they should have been I think.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:55 pm I don’t have a dog in the fight, but part of “running into a buzzsaw” is that they were unseeded in the tournament in 2017 and an 8 seed in 2019. Getting Yale in 2018 was a legit bad rub. But when you’re a low or unseeded team, you’re going to get a tough 1st Round or QF game. And think it’s fair to wonder whether they missed opportunities those years with Pat bc of some bad losses. Losing to Bucknell and BU in 2017 probably cost them a home game. Getting blown out by BU and then losing to Army in the Patriot League semifinals in 2019 probably cost them a Top 5 seed. That 2019 team was #1 early on and had tons of talent at every spot; being seeded 8 was below what they should have been I think.
These are all fair points. I remember watching that bucknell game in 2017 and things just never seemed to gel for that 2017 team despite all the talent they had coming back after the 2016 final four run. The 2018 loss to bucknell was an even bigger head scratcher because Will Sands absolutely torched the defense and Stover at that game, and then Bucknell went on to BEAT yale.

2019 you're right, if they just won both those teams you mentioned they could've had a more favorable matchup but got them two tough games against Cuse and PSU.

Idk whats going to happen next year...

but seeing that you're terp fan do you think this current schedule Maryland and Loyola have is a good thing? 2022 terps ran them off the field after the first half... terps reload every year despite graduation losses.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:02 pm
jrn19 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:55 pm I don’t have a dog in the fight, but part of “running into a buzzsaw” is that they were unseeded in the tournament in 2017 and an 8 seed in 2019. Getting Yale in 2018 was a legit bad rub. But when you’re a low or unseeded team, you’re going to get a tough 1st Round or QF game. And think it’s fair to wonder whether they missed opportunities those years with Pat bc of some bad losses. Losing to Bucknell and BU in 2017 probably cost them a home game. Getting blown out by BU and then losing to Army in the Patriot League semifinals in 2019 probably cost them a Top 5 seed. That 2019 team was #1 early on and had tons of talent at every spot; being seeded 8 was below what they should have been I think.
These are all fair points. I remember watching that bucknell game in 2017 and things just never seemed to gel for that 2017 team despite all the talent they had coming back after the 2016 final four run. The 2018 loss to bucknell was an even bigger head scratcher because Will Sands absolutely torched the defense and Stover at that game, and then Bucknell went on to BEAT yale.

2019 you're right, if they just won both those teams you mentioned they could've had a more favorable matchup but got them two tough games against Cuse and PSU.

Idk whats going to happen next year...

but seeing that you're terp fan do you think this current schedule Maryland and Loyola have is a good thing? 2022 terps ran them off the field after the first half... terps reload every year despite graduation losses.
Absolutely. I've long thought that Maryland and Loyola should play every year. Ideally it'd be later in the year than February, but that's when it has to happen. Never made sense to me seeing Maryland play a mid-major opponent early on and Loyola playing Virginia; they should be playing each other. Hope it continues past the return game at Ridley this spring.

I expect it to be more competitive next year and in the future if it continues to be played. I don't think the Hounds will stay down for long even if it does seem like there's something missing from the program last few regular seasons compared to even the pre-Pat years. And Maryland, while def always in the Top 5 or so under Tillman, isn't going to be what they were in 2022 again. That was a once in a lifetime type team. It's a great game for both teams.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

You’re in luck because this series is going to occur for the next 3 years. They swapped uva with Maryland after I believe the wahoos called it off? But this will be a home and home series from 2022-2025.

I just don’t know if a win for the terps against loyola will be viewed as a “quality” win in terms of RPI and SOS but vice versa if will dang sure count as a big W for the hounds.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Even last year, Loyola's worst in 7 years, they were still on the precipice of being in the Top 20 in RPI and thus qualifying as a quality win for long stretches. So it's unlikely it'll ever be a bad game to have on the schedule, in y'all's best years it'll be a great win to have, but also from the Maryland side of it, it replaced a game with Richmond on the schedule and while Richmond's def a very good program, I would prefer a Loyola game over a Richmond one. The more in-state games with Loyola, Maryland, Hop, Towson, Navy the better. Would love to see a mini-tournament between the 5 like the Philly schools have had and some New York schools had this year if it could ever logistically be pulled off
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Loyola is always a quality win for the simple reason that they usually have a winning record and are usually in the hunt for the PL title. It usually helps on Selection Sunday.

UMD will always have a great sos and winning record too. So it benefits both parties.

And if you lose to Loyola, you’re probably losing to the PL champ or at least finalist.

I often think of the Hopkins series. It’s always great to play a neighbor, especially one like JHU, but the reality is, Hopkins has been down for a few years now in the B1G, so they have benefitted more from playing Loyola recently than Loyola has be fitted from playing Hopkins.
lorin

Post by lorin »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:20 pm Loyola is always a quality win for the simple reason that they usually have a winning record and are usually in the hunt for the PL title. It usually helps on Selection Sunday.

UMD will always have a great sos and winning record too. So it benefits both parties.

And if you lose to Loyola, you’re probably losing to the PL champ or at least finalist.

I often think of the Hopkins series. It’s always great to play a neighbor, especially one like JHU, but the reality is, Hopkins has been down for a few years now in the B1G, so they have benefitted more from playing Loyola recently than Loyola has be fitted from playing Hopkins.
You are living in the past before 2019 your record against Army was 7 and 1, since 2019 Army was 4 and 2 against you and had no highly ranked recruits, Army is now getting 4 and 5 star players.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

lorin wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:15 am You are living in the past before 2019 your record against Army was 7 and 1, since 2019 Army was 4 and 2 against you and had no highly ranked recruits, Army is now getting 4 and 5 star players.
LOL! Living in the past... BEFORE 2019! :D :lol: :lol: Yes, that is ancient history! :lol:

And yet Loyola has 2 NCAA quarterfinal appearances in the 3-year time period you're referencing.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Loyola had an extremely disappointing year in 2022 High expectations, but tough results out of the gate. Still, they almost rode a hot hand to the NCAA tournament again.

Meanwhile Army had one of it's best years ever in program history. Behind their best player in program history. And they almost qualified for the NCAA tournament for the first time in many years.

Army got wins over Loyola by 1, 2 goals?

The level of expectation between these programs is vastly different.

Good luck to Army moving forward.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

GreyingHound wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:29 am
lorin wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:15 am You are living in the past before 2019 your record against Army was 7 and 1, since 2019 Army was 4 and 2 against you and had no highly ranked recruits, Army is now getting 4 and 5 star players.
LOL! Living in the past... BEFORE 2019! :D :lol: :lol: Yes, that is ancient history! :lol:

And yet Loyola has 2 NCAA quarterfinal appearances in the 3-year time period you're referencing.
That was a funny post by old Lorin…

All you gotta do is look at who made the most recent trip to the NCAA’s. (Loyola 2021) Take a look at the last 10-12 years.

Loyola has work to do this year but as a program they are and will continue to be the program to beat in the PL.

Teams have a down year. It happens. 2022 was an odd year but we were in the quarters in 2021 (OT loss) and in 2020, we had a really good team in a season cut short by covid and ohh, we were in the ncaa quarters in 2019….such a terrible run 🤣😉

This board is something. Loyola will be ready in 2023. Got a good core back, get some fresh new faces to plug holes and show for the future and we will be ok.

I’m excited to see the continued trajectory of Poitras and James. Kamish could explode in production now that he will be playing on both legs. Lindsey and Higgins will grow. Add some new faces. I’m excited about the possibilities.

Like all teams ranked outside the top 10 we have question marks. But let’s see how it shapes up

Cheers!
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:00 am

All you gotta do is look at who made the most recent trip to the NCAA’s. (Loyola 2021) Take a look at the last 10-12 years.

Loyola has work to do this year but as a program they are and will continue to be the program to beat in the PL.

Teams have a down year. It happens. 2022 was an odd year but we were in the quarters in 2021 (OT loss) and in 2020, we had a really good team in a season cut short by covid and ohh, we were in the ncaa quarters in 2019….such a terrible run 🤣😉

This board is something. Loyola will be ready in 2023. Got a good core back, get some fresh new faces to plug holes and show for the future and we will be ok.

I’m excited to see the continued trajectory of Poitras and James. Kamish could explode in production now that he will be playing on both legs. Lindsey and Higgins will grow. Add some new faces. I’m excited about the possibilities.

Like all teams ranked outside the top 10 we have question marks. But let’s see how it shapes up

Cheers!
Several questions to your post

1. Are you implying that Kamish is finally healthy with both legs? This can be huge
2. How do you see poitras playing better after he gets experience playing In the U-21 world tournament for Canada?
3. Who do you believe can plug holes among the players left?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Cheers!
A healthy Kamish would be HUGE. Paired with Poitras, Lindsey, James, Higgins, etc... And some of the new faces you mention. A healthy Matt Heuston. And McGory and Binney getting reps...Could be good.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:08 am

Cheers!

1. Are you implying that Kamish is finally healthy with both legs? This can be huge
2. How do you see poitras playing better after he gets experience playing In the U-21 world tournament for Canada?
As it relates to your questions:

1. Yes. That is what I have heard from a source I trust

2. Poitras is very talented and his play with team Canada along with a box summer in Canada will only make him more effective in 2023. He’s going to be better next year then he was this past year and I think that is going to be a big plus for 2023.

3. I’m not sure here but I’d add that I think between a very promising recruiting class and current guys like Hueston (really came on late after injuries have held him back) and Binney and McGory, we have multiple options to play key roles or even star on this team.

Again team has lots to work on all over the field, but unlike some, I’m not ruling out a very good season. Loyola lost some really great kids and players. Guys like Olmstead and McNulty and Lindley. Those are great players and more important GREAT young men. But teams have to cycle and sometimes change is good and new players and new chemistry emerge. We will see

Post by 1766 »

Loyola will be very solid. It shouldn't surprise anyone to see them ranked in the top 10 at the end of the season. Toomey is a great coach and they always have talent.

Glad Rutgers is getting them at home this year.
Laxmaninamillion

Post by Laxmaninamillion »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:02 pm
houndace1 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:08 am

Cheers!

As it relates to your questions:

1. Yes. That is what I have heard from a source I trust

2. Poitras is very talented and his play with team Canada along with a box summer in Canada will only make him more effective in 2023. He’s going to be better next year then he was this past year and I think that is going to be a big plus for 2023.

3. I’m not sure here but I’d add that I think between a very promising recruiting class and current guys like Hueston (really came on late after injuries have held him back) and Binney and McGory, we have multiple options to play key roles or even star on this team.

Again team has lots to work on all over the field, but unlike some, I’m not ruling out a very good season. Loyola lost some really great kids and players. Guys like Olmstead and McNulty and Lindley. Those are great players and more important GREAT young men. But teams have to cycle and sometimes change is good and new players and new chemistry emerge. We will see
Was told by a source I trust that Kamish played at 78-80% last year and is healthy. We have five very good players coming back on offense in Kamish, Poitras, James, Lindsay and Higgins. One spot left in the starting lineup which, as we saw last year, plays the vast majority of the time. Does Houston or McGory take the right hand spot or does Binney, who was recruited as a lefty attack take the spot. Or does Minicus take an attack spot and leave Houston/McGory/Binney or West/Brown in the second middie role? Does Bateman get another shot after a 0 G 1A season which saw him get his 1st shift of the game v Army with 4 minutes left in a two goal game and resulting turnover?

Lots of questions to be resolved on offense.

One of the things that nobody sees to mention about last year’s team was the lack of injuries on offense. As compared to the prior years, the offense was relatively healthy which, in itself, poses questions as to how good that offense can be expected to perform. We appear to have some decent depth. Just hope the staff learns from last year that putting the same guys out there shift after shift r with nothing happening isn’t the way to go.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

I wouldn’t sleep on Conklin at middie. He is a slick lefty from good stock. Dad was an AA under Tierney and has been a very successful coach. Of healthy, he brings a lefty to the line.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Exlaxbro wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:59 pm I wouldn’t sleep on Conklin at middie. He is a slick lefty from good stock. Dad was an AA under Tierney and has been a very successful coach. Of healthy, he brings a lefty to the line.
Interesting you mention Conklin because the roster listed him as attack wearing Aidan olmstead’s jersey.

He’s mentioned being either an attackman or a middie but I project him as a pure midfielder. Described as a real deal athlete at 6’4 205 lbs.

The one thing I see is that this team uses a ton of lefties in the lineups since 2018 as opposed to mixing up hand tendencies. For almost 5 years they’ve used two lefties on attack and multiple on midfield..?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

I am sure like most at this level, he can play both attack and middie but like you, I see him as a middie. He didn’t play his senior year of high school due to a knee injury and didn’t see any time last year. I dont know if he got a medical red shirt or not but I saw him play a few years ago and he was different. You could see his IQ.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”