Loyola Greyhounds 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
houndace1

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2023

Post by houndace1 »

I can’t find any tape on him other than the one written evaluation inside lacrosse gave him after he played at an event. I wonder why he was a late commit if he was given a decent write up by the site’s staff
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

There is a flood of kids in the market.
A lot of very talented kids that are in their JR or Sr year right now simply aren't getting looks.
The extra year of COVID eligibility all these college kids were granted, combined with the portal means there are a LOT of good hs kids who havent gotten picked up yet.

I could put together a VERY nice team of JR and SRs from Maryland HSs who are still uncommitted.
Laxmaninamillion

Post by Laxmaninamillion »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:31 pm There is a flood of kids in the market.
A lot of very talented kids that are in their JR or Sr year right now simply aren't getting looks.
The extra year of COVID eligibility all these college kids were granted, combined with the portal means there are a LOT of good hs kids who havent gotten picked up yet.

I could put together a VERY nice team of JR and SRs from Maryland HSs who are still uncommitted.
This glut will result in these kids moving on from their dream teams ( MD, UNC, UVA, etc…) and will result in them going to lower level D1programs. These lower level programs will slowly get better and better. Way too many good young lax kids to just find the top schools like 10+years ago. Great for the growth of the game.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

I agree and maybe an unintended consequence of the extra covid year. Loyola lost two this year to Atlantic Sun schools. I don’t know why they left but I am sure that extra year probably played into it. Those teams will be better with Loyola caliber players.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:34 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:31 pm There is a flood of kids in the market.

This glut will result in these kids moving on from their dream teams ( MD, UNC, UVA, etc…) and will result in them going to lower level D1programs. These lower level programs will slowly get better and better. Way too many good young lax kids to just find the top schools like 10+years ago. Great for the growth of the game.
...or they go to a d3, lower ranked d1 team, as you suggest, then they step in to the portal after a year or two, three, when they put their feelers out and wind up at UMD, Rutgers, SU, UNC, Duke, OSU, etc. The new recruiting hot bed, may very well be those entry level programs where players can be poached. Recruiting never stops, until eligibility has expired.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Another interesting take. Either way, that extra year will have an ongoing impact for years to come. I feel for the high school kids.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Exlaxbro wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:22 pm I agree and maybe an unintended consequence of the extra covid year. Loyola lost two this year to Atlantic Sun schools. I don’t know why they left but I am sure that extra year probably played into it. Those teams will be better with Loyola caliber players.
I’d take a Toomey coached kid.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:31 pm

...or they go to a d3, lower ranked d1 team, as you suggest, then they step in to the portal after a year or two, three, when they put their feelers out and wind up at UMD, Rutgers, SU, UNC, Duke, OSU, etc. The new recruiting hot bed, may very well be those entry level programs where players can be poached. Recruiting never stops, until eligibility has expired.
It would be a super trickle-down.
I'm talking about at least mid-level (just outside top 20) D1-level kids who have been starters in the MIAA for a couple years, competing for some of the top Baltimore clubs, who aren't committed yet. My guess is they are holding out for positions that aren't there and have been filled by Covid returners. I think recruiting classes will be 1-3 kids smaller until 2025.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

At least 2025. I have heard a huge upswing in post grad applications for private schools or re-class kids trying to get in now. JUCOs are heavily recruiting kids in the portal too leaving no room for the high school kid too. I didn’t like the decision in 2020 and I like it less now.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Exlaxbro wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:31 am At least 2025. I have heard a huge upswing in post grad applications for private schools or re-class kids trying to get in now. JUCOs are heavily recruiting kids in the portal too leaving no room for the high school kid too. I didn’t like the decision in 2020 and I like it less now.
+1
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Laxmaninamillion

youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:12 am
Exlaxbro wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:31 am At least 2025. I have heard a huge upswing in post grad applications for private schools or re-class kids trying to get in now. JUCOs are heavily recruiting kids in the portal too leaving no room for the high school kid too. I didn’t like the decision in 2020 and I like it less now.
+1
Three of my kids club teammates were asked to do a PG year this coming year because the college just didn’t have room for them as freshmen and wanted them to play and not just sit around all year. Two did the PG and one changed schools.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

+1
I think the log jam will begin to break with the 25s. Not to the extent that the kids/families will hope (pre-covid extension), but the smart coaches/programs will begin to start restocking their classes for the "out years" at this time.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:21 am
+1
Three of my kids club teammates were asked to do a PG year this coming year because the college just didn’t have room for them as freshmen and wanted them to play and not just sit around all year. Two did the PG and one changed schools.
That’s crazy. Is the school guaranteeing them a spot? Hard to believe. To many variables. I would look at different schools then.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Turnandrake wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:52 pm
+1
That’s crazy. Is the school guaranteeing them a spot? Hard to believe. To many variables. I would look at different schools then.
teams have been doing this for decades. so there's 1-3 fewer spots per class... rosters were bloated anyway as they creeped into high 40's to 50's or more pre-covid, classes were too large as it is.

Post by 1766 »

This. The sooner people realize that the portal is recruiting, the better. Coach Brecht and Tillman were quick to understand and adopt to this landscape. Now most every coach does. The challenge is do they offer the programs players want and can they get them in school.

There will be some schools where this just isn't possible, which is detrimental to them.
lorin

Post by lorin »

1766 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:28 pm

This. The sooner people realize that the portal is recruiting, the better. Coach Brecht and Tillman were quick to understand and adopt to this landscape. Now most every coach does. The challenge is do they offer the programs players want and can they get them in school.

There will be some schools where this just isn't possible, which is detrimental to them.
Will be a hard year for both those teams, can't wait to watch. Hudgins will have Scott running for his life.
Laxmaninamillion

+1
School is guaranteeing them a spot, just not as 2022’s. Wants them to PG for a year and come as 2023’s. Willing to let them out of their NIL if they choose not to. Just a glut of players. And, BYW, all three kids were committed to high end programs and were 4 star recruits. Coaches didn’t want to red-shirt them.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:53 am
+1
School is guaranteeing them a spot, just not as 2022’s. Wants them to PG for a year and come as 2023’s. Willing to let them out of their NIL if they choose not to. Just a glut of players. And, BYW, all three kids were committed to high end programs and were 4 star recruits. Coaches didn’t want to red-shirt them.
Good deal. Maybe my 2022 grad got lucky lots of D1 offers 12-15. Not one coach said anything about doing a PG. lots of top 20 schools. Maybe different story for my 25 only time will tell.
FCCTlaxFan

Post by FCCTlaxFan »

Turnandrake wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:52 pm
+1
Good deal. Maybe my 2022 grad got lucky lots of D1 offers 12-15. Not one coach said anything about doing a PG. lots of top 20 schools. Maybe different story for my 25 only time will tell.
I have no idea but I would guess these schools are asking their lower level recruits to reclass or possibly younger recruits (those that have not already reclassed). I do wonder why the colleges would not want the players to red shirt - maybe Title IX issue?
Laxmaninamillion

FCCTlaxFan wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:50 pm
Turnandrake wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:52 pm
+1
I have no idea but I would guess these schools are asking their lower level recruits to reclass or possibly younger recruits (those that have not already reclassed). I do wonder why the colleges would not want the players to red shirt - maybe Title IX issue?
Was told it was a $$$ issue. Even when they redshirt their scholarship counts towards the 12.6 allowed. With giving money to grad students they just don’t have enough to have the kid sit and redshirt and take $$$ from other players. By PGing the kid plays at a high level, continues to develop and doesn’t take $$$ away from where coach wants $$$ to go. Remember, these kids are only getting partials anyway. I know of one kid who is at a big school and who is getting financial aid instead of scholarship $$$. He redshirted because it didn’t cost team any money.

Last year Syracuse redshirted 10 freshmen and cut 12 kids from prior roster/new recruits. With grad transfers there just isn’t the room there had been. I’ve been told that’s why the two Loyola freshmen left team. Saw they weren’t going to play for a few years. It’s tough to sit and watch.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”