Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ruffled_Feathers

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Really the only case that comes to mind where things felt sort of handled "gracefully" I can think of was Ed Orgeron at LSU football a couple of years ago. Admittedly I didn't follow that saga all that closely at the time so this is certainly a casual outsider perspective but it was announced that he had "agreed to step aside" like halfway through the year but would finish out the year as the head coach before packing up his stuff. In some capacity from reading the reasons he was let go I'm actually kind of surprised they let him finish out the year but he basically got to have half a seasons worth of press conferences and interview questions along with whatever amount of riding off into the sunset/send off from the team and fans type of stuff they wanted to do given his departure was scheduled well in advance.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:50 am Really the only case that comes to mind where things felt sort of handled "gracefully" I can think of was Ed Orgeron at LSU football a couple of years ago. Admittedly I didn't follow that saga all that closely at the time so this is certainly a casual outsider perspective but it was announced that he had "agreed to step aside" like halfway through the year but would finish out the year as the head coach before packing up his stuff. In some capacity from reading the reasons he was let go I'm actually kind of surprised they let him finish out the year but he basically got to have half a seasons worth of press conferences and interview questions along with whatever amount of riding off into the sunset/send off from the team and fans type of stuff they wanted to do given his departure was scheduled well in advance.
It also was an absolute mess from a lot of angles. Ed just knew it was time to leave with all the issues swirling about so he didn't make a scene (or the cynic in me would say he was paid enough to walk away and shut up about it).
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Billy Dwan began playing lacrosse at the age of 3, spending time at evening camps at Johns Hopkins’ Homewood Field and using a cut-down lacrosse stick he still has. Dwan said he thought he would join the Blue Jays until the university chose not to renew the contracts of Pietramala, Bill Dwan and offensive coordinator Bobby Benson shortly after the coronavirus pandemic canceled the 2020 season.
“For me, as a kid, a lot of my lacrosse memories take place at Hopkins,” the younger Dwan said. “I was watching games in the building they have or I was doing the evening camps at night. So I really couldn’t see a world where I didn’t go to Hopkins with my dad and Coach Petro and Coach Bobby. Now I’m happy with me going to Syracuse.”Dwan committed to the Orange over North Carolina and Loyola, which meant he had to gently let down Matt Dwan, who is the defensive coordinator on Greyhounds coach Charley Toomey’s staff. “That was probably the hardest phone call, to tell my uncle that I wasn’t going to Loyola,” he admitted.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/hig ... story.html

Nice story from the Sun. The Syracuse/Hopkins rivalry is going to up a level next year.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:46 pm Billy Dwan began playing lacrosse at the age of 3, spending time at evening camps at Johns Hopkins’ Homewood Field and using a cut-down lacrosse stick he still has. Dwan said he thought he would join the Blue Jays until the university chose not to renew the contracts of Pietramala, Bill Dwan and offensive coordinator Bobby Benson shortly after the coronavirus pandemic canceled the 2020 season.
“For me, as a kid, a lot of my lacrosse memories take place at Hopkins,” the younger Dwan said. “I was watching games in the building they have or I was doing the evening camps at night. So I really couldn’t see a world where I didn’t go to Hopkins with my dad and Coach Petro and Coach Bobby. Now I’m happy with me going to Syracuse.”Dwan committed to the Orange over North Carolina and Loyola, which meant he had to gently let down Matt Dwan, who is the defensive coordinator on Greyhounds coach Charley Toomey’s staff. “That was probably the hardest phone call, to tell my uncle that I wasn’t going to Loyola,” he admitted.

Nice story from the Sun. The Syracuse/Hopkins rivalry is going to up a level next year.
great article; love the kid's attitude.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:47 am
jhu06 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:46 pm Billy Dwan began playing lacrosse at the age of 3, spending time at evening camps at Johns Hopkins’ Homewood Field and using a cut-down lacrosse stick he still has. Dwan said he thought he would join the Blue Jays until the university chose not to renew the contracts of Pietramala, Bill Dwan and offensive coordinator Bobby Benson shortly after the coronavirus pandemic canceled the 2020 season.

It does confirm that he had every intention of coming to Hopkins and I heard the same about the Pietramala brothers.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:56 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:47 am

It does confirm that he had every intention of coming to Hopkins and I heard the same about the Pietramala brothers.
Undoubtedly lost some strong kids due to change.
Hopefully will attract some different strong ones, as well.

Gonna be interesting to see whether Hopkins can regain its lost mojo.

I have no special dog in the hunt, just sentimental about Hopkins' tradition...lot of years of watching great teams, whether as a kid jumping the fence to shag balls, in the stands with my dad, or later with my son as a Junior Jay or then in the stands analyzing games with his grandfather and me, or...and I'm a little involved in the Center For Leadership Education at Hopkins as a board member, so get to campus that way and as a guest lecturer at Whiting and Carey. And lots of friends who played in the program. Most of my dad's Hop friends have since passed. Best wishes for program going forward.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Would have been super awkward for Dwan and the Petro twins to commit only for Dave to then be let go/not renewed/whatever you want to call it AFTER that, because that's where things were headed. The way it worked out was best for all involved. Dom and Billy Dwan are badly needed at the schools they're going, meanwhile I like the looks of our upcoming classes.

PLL at Homewood this weekend, yet another showcase for the best venue in the sport

Connor DeSimone has quietly been playing well for the Archers, he's 5th among rookies in points after going undrafted. Cole Williams made the Chrome roster but has yet to see the field. Crawley and Atlas play Saturday a few feet from his new office.

Jr A check-in for current & future Jays:

Stu Phillips: 50 pts in 12 games (had a 10 pt game yesterday)
'22 Matt Collison: 48 pts in 12 games
Jack Charboneau: 43 pts in 10 games
Johnny Peshko: 41 pts in 8 games
'22 Eric McDonald 31 pts in 13 games
Jakson Raposo: 25 pts in 13 games
'22 Brooks English: 19 pts in 7 games
'22 Koleton Marquis: 10 pts in 4 games
'23 Chuck Rawson: 8 pts in 4 games
Chris Wong: 1 pt in 3 games
'23 Zach Claiborine: 0 pts in 1 game
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:49 am Would have been super awkward for Dwan and the Petro twins to commit only for Dave to then be let go/not renewed/whatever you want to call it AFTER that, because that's where things were headed. The way it worked out was best for all involved. Dom and Billy Dwan are badly needed at the schools they're going, meanwhile I like the looks of our upcoming classes.

PLL at Homewood this weekend, yet another showcase for the best venue in the sport

Connor DeSimone has quietly been playing well for the Archers, he's 5th among rookies in points after going undrafted. Cole Williams made the Chrome roster but has yet to see the field. Crawley and Atlas play Saturday a few feet from his new office.

"Best for all involved"-the kid had his dreams destroyed. But yes it was a fantastic story and glad he got another great opportunity.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:00 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:49 am Would have been super awkward for Dwan and the Petro twins to commit only for Dave to then be let go/not renewed/whatever you want to call it AFTER that, because that's where things were headed. The way it worked out was best for all involved. Dom and Billy Dwan are badly needed at the schools they're going, meanwhile I like the looks of our upcoming classes.

"Best for all involved"-the kid had his dreams destroyed. But yes it was a fantastic story and glad he got another great opportunity.
You know, its fine for you to post on the Cuse board. No one here will mind. Follow your heart.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Your assumption being the kids and their parents did not know their status before the announcement.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

primitiveskills wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:18 pm

You know, its fine for you to post on the Cuse board. No one here will mind. Follow your heart.
It was a Hopkins based story.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Replying to me? What do you mean by Hopkins based story?

DP’s contract wasn’t structured to fit that narrative. Not buying it myself but then that is my choice
primitiveskills

jhu06 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:38 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:18 pm

It was a Hopkins based story.
It is a story about a kid who committed to Syracuse. Seems like you are a Petro fan and not a Hopkins lacrosse fan. Its fine. Go with it. YOLO. Go Orange!
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:19 pm
It is a story about a kid who committed to Syracuse. Seems like you are a Petro fan and not a Hopkins lacrosse fan. Its fine. Go with it. YOLO. Go Orange!
What kind of reception do you expect the Blue Jays to get next spring when they step into the Dome?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

By the way, did everything end ok between Pietramala and Dwan?

I recall an interview with Petro and while he was effusive in his praise of Benson, he basically said Dwan had been along for the ride. Not my words, but Petro’s.

Always thought that was a bit odd. But now Dwan’s son is going to play for Syracuse so ….

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:00 pm By the way, did everything end ok between Pietramala and Dwan?

I recall an interview with Petro and while he was effusive in his praise of Benson, he basically said Dwan had been along for the ride. Not my words, but Petro’s.

Always thought that was a bit odd. But now Dwan’s son is going to play for Syracuse so ….

DocBarrister
this again from you? no, he did not basically say that. maybe move along.
primitiveskills

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:42 am
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:19 pm
What kind of reception do you expect the Blue Jays to get next spring when they step into the Dome?
There will be fewer Syracuse fans cheering for the Blue Jays than there were Hopkins "fans" cheering for Syracuse during last season's game.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

During last night's PLL broadcast, Quint, who does not say many positive things about his alma mater, mentioned that he's heard the program is energized by the addition of Crawley to the staff. That fits with what I've been hearing that he is connecting well with current players and incoming recruits. Curious to see what if any impact there is this recruiting cycle.

The time to move on from the Petro discussion was two years ago. The horse is dead and buried and decomposing.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:13 pm During last night's PLL broadcast, Quint, who does not say many positive things about his alma mater, mentioned that he's heard the program is energized by the addition of Crawley to the staff. That fits with what I've been hearing that he is connecting well with current players and incoming recruits. Curious to see what if any impact there is this recruiting cycle.

The time to move on from the Petro discussion was two years ago. The horse is dead and buried and decomposing.
The story which is not paywalled is about Dwan's son having his heart set on Hopkins and having that dashed in the coaching change and yes the dwan and petro kids are going to be a story their whole careers when they play us in hopefully more meaningful later season games.

Crawley and Jameson are a massive upgrade over grant jr, Dwan, and Benson. They also have another position to fill now that the d3 guy is out.

The crowds for the womens final four games were better than last night and both were better than most we've seen at Hopkins games for years. Contrary to what commenters here say people seem to like coming to homewood and games at homewood. It was great to see schwartzman and harrison there.
washedup

Post by washedup »

Article from ILWomen on new WLax Coach Tim McCormack if anyone is interested: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... kins/59909

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”