That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
kramerica.inc

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by kramerica.inc »

The hOPkiNs poSt Count iS HighEr thAn eVerYOne ElSe!
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:10 pm
1766 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:00 pm Grimes looks like he needs to work on his hands. He drops a lot of passes most guys at that level don't.
your mom needs to work on her hands
No she does not. Those fingers are like velvet

Post by 1766 »

Guess the brick hands comment really struck a nerve.

Wasn't meant to be but I'll take it.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

traditional opponents 2023 stevens projections
1 terps
2 uva
3 gtown
10 rutgers
11 osu
12 delaware
15 unc
16 jville
20 navy
23 loyola
25 cuse
https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... sion-i-men

princeton and cornell are top 5-10 area what really sticks out is Loyola which has been a top 10 program for more than a decade almost. Cuse and UNC also not really where you'd think they'd traditionally be and the ivy came out of the pandemic firing. He notes Rutgers challenges w/its transfer market strategy losing guys after 1-2 seasons. Towson nowhere in the conversations, Michigan despite nearly a decade in d1 MIA, Penn State which was hot a few years ago also nowhere to be seen.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:59 am traditional opponents 2023 stevens projections
1 terps
2 uva
3 gtown
10 rutgers
11 osu
12 delaware
15 unc
16 jville
20 navy
23 loyola
25 cuse
https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... sion-i-men

princeton and cornell are top 5-10 area what really sticks out is Loyola which has been a top 10 program for more than a decade almost. Cuse and UNC also not really where you'd think they'd traditionally be and the ivy came out of the pandemic firing. He notes Rutgers challenges w/its transfer market strategy losing guys after 1-2 seasons. Towson nowhere in the conversations, Michigan despite nearly a decade in d1 MIA, Penn State which was hot a few years ago also nowhere to be seen.
IMO the ranking is warranted for us at evergreen. They lost big names on graduation and while the cupboard is not bare, they need to figure out whats been going on the past two years and make some adjustments.

Lineups will be changed and re-evaluated but i hope they can earn their way back to the top 20 when the season begins. Hopkins will be fine with the talent remaining combined with the guys coming in.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Russ Maher highlights from World Juniors:

I expect him to contribute this year. Looks back to full health after a foot injury last fall.

Between him, Melendez, a healthy Grimes, and the three freshmen (Collison, Marquis, English), there is going to be more speed, athleticism, and dodging ability on the offense this season than last. What Crawley/Milliman do with it is another question.

Post by 1766 »

I wouldn't expect much.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

1766 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:49 pm I wouldn't expect much.
pray tell... por que?
we're dying to know.

Post by 1766 »

No conspiracy. Most of them have played next to no college lacrosse or didn't play at a high level when they did.

Putting expectations on so many unproven players at this level is a recipe for failure. Let them come in and get experience first to see what you have.

Marquis looks like there is some talent watching him in the U21's but he doesn't look like he's going to come into the B1G and be a threat right away. There is a big drop off watching the guys who produce in that league and him.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

1766 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:18 pm No conspiracy. Most of them have played next to no college lacrosse or didn't play at a high level when they did.

Putting expectations on so many unproven players at this level is a recipe for failure. Let them come in and get experience first to see what you have.

Marquis looks like there is some talent watching him in the U21's but he doesn't look like he's going to come into the B1G and be a threat right away. There is a big drop off watching the guys who produce in that league and him.
ok, little weird. to me, that's all. all said was contribute and some more speed, etc. has anyone called for multiple 70 point seasons?

expectations on a rando lax board is a recipe for disaster in what way?

there are some new faces and regardless someone will be new filling spots. looks to me a normie discussion off season but what do i know?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Pre-orientation usually starts this week or next. We get final clarification on what seniors are taking a 5th year and which other kids left the program?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

1766 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:18 pm No conspiracy. Most of them have played next to no college lacrosse or didn't play at a high level when they did.

lol haven't you spent the past few days talking up an incoming transfer to Rutgers from Australia and how he's going to start on attack or have a role at midfield? "He will get a real long look at the open third attack spot" — that's a pretty decisive statement about a kid who has never played on the North American continent, let alone at the D1 level.

Post by 1766 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:42 pm

lol haven't you spent the past few days talking up an incoming transfer to Rutgers from Australia and how he's going to start on attack or have a role at midfield? "He will get a real long look at the open third attack spot" — that's a pretty decisive statement about a kid who has never played on the North American continent, let alone at the D1 level.
He's 21 and has played against men. He's also clearly their best player. Him playing a role isn't really a stretch. Even so I said there would be a learning curve. Luckily Ross Scott and Shane Knobloch are there getting him started on what to expect.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:27 pm Pre-orientation usually starts this week or next. We get final clarification on what seniors are taking a 5th year and which other kids left the program?
I could be wrong but wasn’t Degnon the only 5th year offered a spot to come back to?
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Interesting video with some good points, titled What Happened to Hopkins Lacrosse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPxkxew-3AM
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

xxxxxxx wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:25 pm Interesting video with some good points, titled What Happened to Hopkins Lacrosse?

oh yeah, more patience and support from the alumni is going to help the team play better on the field. Right.
Such a depressing video.
Getting this program back to high level competitiveness is going to be a long process, with some bumps along the way.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

You are a bit too dismissive of the alums imo. They don’t coach the team but they have a large network esp in the still relatively small lax community
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:42 pm
xxxxxxx wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:25 pm Interesting video with some good points, titled What Happened to Hopkins Lacrosse?

oh yeah, more patience and support from the alumni is going to help the team play better on the field. Right.
Such a depressing video.
Getting this program back to high level competitiveness is going to be a long process, with some bumps along the way.
The story that should have been written 5-7 years ago and for sure 3 years ago would've had on and off the record sources from prominent program alumni talking about Daniels relationship w/the program, the off the field stuff some of you have hinted at, early recruiting, the ad, etc. We're into year 3 of PM so the Petro era stuff is cold for now and it's about what Crawly can do this fall, Jamesons progress and eventually wins and losses next spring. There are positives right now despite that story and everything else. PM hired 2 of the programs brightest alumni in the coaching ranks, Jacksonville and Georgetown proved to be smart schedule additions last spring, the big ten seems to have long term stability, we're through the petro transition and the 2 rocky after years, he has buyin from a lot of key alums like schwartzman and k18 etc, our games aren't on that cluster-ck that georgetown was on last spring-yet, a packed house at homewood watched someone win something meaningful even if it was UNC women and a title for the hated heels, Rabil hasn't asked-yet-to be on the board for the cuse lacrosse fundraising club.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Decent video I guess, mainly for those who don't follow things as closely as we do, but everything he says in there has been discussed here at length for years.

One MAJOR falsehood though — "Shawn Nadelen was never even offered an interview" — completely untrue.

Also this was very favorable to Petro, zero mention of early recruiting miscues or any role he might have played in the state of the program at the time of his exit.

Tired of hearing "they fired him in the middle of the pandemic!!!" as if there was another choice. What were they supposed to do, wait for the pandemic to end? The season was over and they had to make a decision. I don't think the way in which they fired him (the infamous press release) was a good look but the timing of the decision should not be an issue. It was in the best interest of the players and future recruits.
flalax22 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:45 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:27 pm Pre-orientation usually starts this week or next. We get final clarification on what seniors are taking a 5th year and which other kids left the program?
I could be wrong but wasn’t Degnon the only 5th year offered a spot to come back to?
I thought Narewski and Fernandez were coming back too, no?

Marquis has looked good playing for the Haudenosaunee in Ireland. He plays bigger/tougher than his size and has really slick stick skills. Always dodges with his head up. Can sling it from the outside in addition to on the crease.

Grimes has looked good as well, is really active and works hard off ball and has had some nasty unsaveable shots on the run. He dropped a pass once but thus far he has also outscored Rutgers' Knobloch :lol:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”