NCAA reorg imminent

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: NCAA reorg imminent

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:58 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:51 pm
HooDat wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:54 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:20 pm funded in part or whole by the taxpayer complicates then leaving any other FBS state schools in that state behind
interesting point. Not sure how big this "payable" is, but the one way I could see it being solved is some kind of tax or "seller note" that let's the "haves" buy their way out by helping the state out of that hole.
In the distressed debt world they call that a “hope note”…

It’s sort of front and center here because Ga State has invested huge in football here in Atlanta, even bought the old Braves stadium when those carpetbagging suburban money stealers moved the team to the new ballpark in the suburbs.

But imagine UCF getting left behind being one of the largest state schools in the country if UF/FSU left them behind…

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ke-alabama

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia ... s_football

*side note: the dude who funded the first $10mm for Ga St, Parker petit is much more of a criminal than Uncle Luther ever was…

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.co ... utType=amp
“those carpetbagging suburban money stealers” 😂
I hate public funds for athletic facilities (I hate eminent domain for private projects as I expressed elsewhere). The old stadium built in 96 for the Olympics was perfectly fine and actually in town. Cobb County will be paying far more than they ever realize for the privilege of having it closer to Woodstock than the state Capitol in downtown Atl.

As for carpetbagging…I feel like I get immunity because I brought one of their daughters back.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jersey shore lax wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:48 pm Owner of a business signs an advertising deal with a high school athlete, coincidently the high school kid decides to attend the business owners favorite college. I can not imagine the NCAA trying to stop that and if it went to court and they lost it totally takes the mask off of this practice.
If anyone is familiar with banking there was a larger Alabama based bank that failed spectacularly in the crisis called Colonial Bank. The CEO (and in control of the board) Bobby Lowder was a degenerate who’d fly his Colonial Bank personal plane around for the benefit of Auburn. Literally when UGA and UA were trying to figure out who Auburn was recruiting they’d just track Lowders plane.

And that was in the old system. Just wait til these southern dudes with two nickels to rub together understand how few constraints they actually have. Some will end up in tax hell and even prison for how they transfer and allocate the money but it’s going to make citizens United look like my daughters last lemonade stand.
See Martin, Malcolm

Post by 1766 »

USC boosters are waaaaaay ahead of the game. Their ability to organize so quickly was very impressive.

"Tell us who you want, Coach".
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:18 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:20 pm funded in part or whole by the taxpayer complicates then leaving any other FBS state schools in that state behind
interesting point. Not sure how big this "payable" is, but the one way I could see it being solved is some kind of tax or "seller note" that let's the "haves" buy their way out by helping the state out of that hole.

It’s sort of front and center here because Ga State has invested huge in football here in Atlanta, even bought the old Braves stadium when those carpetbagging suburban money stealers moved the team to the new ballpark in the suburbs.

But imagine UCF getting left behind being one of the largest state schools in the country if UF/FSU left them behind…

*side note: the dude who funded the first $10mm for Ga St, Parker petit is much more of a criminal than Uncle Luther ever was…

I hate public funds for athletic facilities (I hate eminent domain for private projects as I expressed elsewhere). The old stadium built in 96 for the Olympics was perfectly fine and actually in town. Cobb County will be paying far more than they ever realize for the privilege of having it closer to Woodstock than the state Capitol in downtown Atl.

As for carpetbagging…I feel like I get immunity because I brought one of their daughters back.
Could you repatriate Pig Newton?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:50 pm

The food thing? Those are nastier than Pimiento Cheese
See Martin, Malcolm
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:52 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:50 pm

The food thing? Those are nastier than Pimiento Cheese
Nasty, yes. Food, no. Harrisburg’s own Newt Gingrich, carpetbagger extraordinaire.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ucla and usc on their way to the b1g supposedly.
is the p5 going to end up the p4?

this gives 16 for the b1g, you'd think for now they'd stand pat at that number.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:18 pm ucla and usc on their way to the b1g supposedly.

More game fodder for The Ohio State University Buckeyes!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Post by 1766 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:18 pm ucla and usc on their way to the b1g supposedly.

Two main conferences. SEC and B1G. Break away from the NCAA and have a Super Bowl of sorts like the AFC v NFC. TV contracts will be astronomical.

The biggest question is what happens to some of the Acc/Pac 12 schools who aren't able to be part of either conference. You'd have to think there are only a few that will add value.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

1766 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:31 pm

Two main conferences. SEC and B1G. Break away from the NCAA and have a Super Bowl of sorts like the AFC v NFC. TV contracts will be astronomical.

The biggest question is what happens to some of the Acc/Pac 12 schools who aren't able to be part of either conference. You'd have to think there are only a few that will add value.
both these conferences would be at 16 teams. maybe 18 is just as well?
if not, the big 8 adding mid-majorish teams in the wake of okla and texas leaving probably doesn't bode well for combining the 3 leagues into 2.

football already does their gig outside of nc$$ championships, and while that may just be semantics the nc$$ does also have the jewel of the nc$$ hoops tourney. you'd think the b1g and sec would want to keep their hand in that pot. a facsimile of 2 conferences for a hoops title probably doesn't move the needle.

some kind of hybrid, maybe. and the breakdown of agreement on a new football playoff makes sense in hindsight. b1g and sec want to hold the cards. i don't know that usc and ucla really changes that other than perception, which sometimes is enough. fake it until you make it.

Post by 1766 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:31 pm

if not, the big 8 adding mid-majorish teams in the wake of okla and texas leaving probably doesn't bode well for combining the 3 leagues into 2.

football already does their gig outside of nc$$ championships, and while that may just be semantics the nc$$ does also have the jewel of the nc$$ hoops tourney. you'd think the b1g and sec would want to keep their hand in that pot. a facsimile of 2 conferences for a hoops title probably doesn't move the needle.

some kind of hybrid, maybe. and the breakdown of agreement on a new football playoff makes sense in hindsight. b1g and sec want to hold the cards. i don't know that usc and ucla really changes that other than perception, which sometimes is enough. fake it until you make it.

Basketball is along for the ride. It isn't going to be a determining factor when you are talking about the amount of money that a B1G/SEC merger would have.

Football in these conferences has outgrown the NCAA. New leadership with new rules are in order. USC and UCLA move the needle from a markets standpoint. They would own the entire south, midwest, NYC, mid Atlantic and biggest market on the West Coast. Those are all of the biggest markets in the entire country under one umbrella.

Not sure they are faking anything. They long ago made it when you consider how much more their media rights deals are compared to the other conferences. They've left them all behind and that gap is getting bigger.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

1766 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:06 pm

Basketball is along for the ride. It isn't going to be a determining factor when you are talking about the amount of money that a B1G/SEC merger would have.

Football in these conferences has outgrown the NCAA. New leadership with new rules are in order. USC and UCLA move the needle from a markets standpoint. They would own the entire south, midwest, NYC, mid Atlantic and biggest market on the West Coast. Those are all of the biggest markets in the entire country under one umbrella.

Not sure they are faking anything. They long ago made it when you consider how much more their media rights deals are compared to the other conferences. They've left them all behind and that gap is getting bigger.
This is just bad for college sports in general. And bad for college athletes who do not play SEC and Big 10 Football. Greed is not good.

Post by 1766 »

Chousnake wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:11 pm

This is just bad for college sports in general. And bad for college athletes who do not play SEC and Big 10 Football. Greed is not good.
It's a natural progression and evolution. There is simply too much money involved for this not to happen. Club sports and the like will still be around. For the guys that want play at the highest levels, this is where that will be. Not much is really changing. It's just going to get bigger and better. Like it always has. This will be the next iteration.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Anybody know whether income colleges derive from college football, whether ticket sales sales of luxury boxes, shared television revenue or whatever, is subject to unrelated business income tax?
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

I know the IRS issued a public ruling, holding that the sale of exclusive television and radio broadcasting rights to athletic events to an independent producer by a tax-exempt national governing body for amateur athletics was not unrelated business because the "broadcasting of the organization's sponsored, supervised, and regulated athletic events promotes the various amateur sports, fosters widespread public interest in the benefits of its nationwide amateur athletic program, and encourages public participation." Therefore, the sale of the broadcasting rights and the broadcasting of the events was a tax-exempt function (Rev. Rul. 80-295). The IRS issued a similar ruling with respect to the sale of broadcasting rights to a national radio and television network by an organization created by a regional collegiate athletic conference, composed of tax-exempt universities, to hold an annual athletic event (Rev. Rul. 80-296).

.....but that was before recent rulings on NIL. I can only imagine it is just a matter of time before their UBIT exemption disappears as their student athletes "amateur" status disappears.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

1766 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:30 pm
Chousnake wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:11 pm

It's a natural progression and evolution. There is simply too much money involved for this not to happen. Club sports and the like will still be around. For the guys that want play at the highest levels, this is where that will be. Not much is really changing. It's just going to get bigger and better. Like it always has. This will be the next iteration.
Bigger - yes. Better????? I don't see how this is better for anybody except football teams in the two mega conferences. Is it really better for the athletes who play the dozens of other sports for schools in the Pac 12 (10?) that are left behind, or the athletes who play other sports in these mega-conferences? I'm not seeing how this is better in any way. College football is a pig at the trough and the other schools and athletes suffer because of it. I don't see all of this money being used to fund more sports. And some athletes want to do more than play club. And football absolutely kills other men's sports because of the balance required by Title IX.

And at the end of the day, it is all geared towards benefitting the four schools who play in the college football championship and everyone else is an also ran competitively and financially.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Chousnake wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:45 pm And football absolutely kills other men's sports because of the balance required by Title IX.
Football revenues pay for almost every other sport at D1 schools, both men's and women's.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

they don't own the mid-atlantic or nyc.
presumably a good amount of the south will be acc country. so all the midwest, a lot of the south, and l.a.

these broadcast networks can't play repeats of purdue/minnesota and coaches shows all year long. basketball absolutely is a fly in the soup of any breakaway of entire departments.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

There really won’t be any ACC, Big12, or PAC12 football left. After the B1G and SEC form the two megaconferences, every leftover football program will be essentially be a FCS/Division I-AA/NIT type thing … a second tier product that no one really cares about.

There is online chatter from sports journalists that Notre Dame is going to leave the ACC entirely. That would pretty much be the end of ACC lacrosse.

Also, the extra money from the formation of Power 2 Football may actually make it possible to expand women’s sports in the B1G and SEC. With the addition of more women’s sports teams, more B1G teams might add men’s lacrosse (USC, UCLA, Stanford, Northwestern?!?).

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

the crazy takes are only going to get hotter, folks!!!

the end of acc lacrosse! bc the domers, the only acc squad that (checks notes) has zero championships!

taking on umd and rutgers really changed everything in college sports!

i vividly remember almost a decade ago all the prognostications for the imminent death of nc$$ everything not b1g and sec. and yet, here we are.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”