NCAA reorg imminent

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: NCAA reorg imminent

Post by wgdsr »

b1g media days today and tomorrow.
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/c ... 382027007/

warren... new media deal for 23-24 and beyond should be soon, & will have new partner(s) in the mix with fox.
says is a proponent on expanded playoff, more negotiations this fall.
usc/ucla coming in as full members. interesting as others may be paying back their entry/lower and borrowed payout for well over a decade since arrival.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:04 pm b1g media days today and tomorrow.

warren... new media deal for 23-24 and beyond should be soon, & will have new partner(s) in the mix with fox.
usc/ucla coming in as full members. interesting as others may be paying back their entry/lower and borrowed payout for well over a decade since arrival.
the question for this forum is how much of those new tv deals make it all the way down to lacrosse and how that's put into play.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:30 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:04 pm b1g media days today and tomorrow.

the question for this forum is how much of those new tv deals make it all the way down to lacrosse and how that's put into play.
maybe that's your question? they don't. evidently about everyone in the actual b1g will have a new-ish stadium soon, with just maryland still up.

maybe they'll get a new locker room if they don't have one. maybe they'll pay out a few bucks in the short run.

the more pertinent question tangential to yours is what's future revenue share to athletes (see: bball and primarily football) going to look like, and how does that affect olympic sports? cart before the horse. for now.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Latest realignment reporting.

According to Action Network’s Brett McMurphy, Florida State and Miami join four schools from the bare bones of the Pac-12 (Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal) looking to become part of a burgeoning Big Ten super-conference.

Big Ten commish Kevin Warren told @ActionNetworkHQ there are “handful of schools” besides Notre Dame that would add value to Big Ten. Sources said other schools being considered by Big Ten: Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, Miami & Florida State https://t.co/nO3heAEHJP

— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) July 26, 2022

https://flywareagle.com/2022/07/26/conf ... orida/amp/

INDIANAPOLIS — Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren told Action Network there are “a handful of schools” besides Notre Dame that would add value as future Big Ten members.

The schools being considered by the Big Ten, sources told Action Network, are Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, Miami and Florida State. Warren would not comment on specific schools as potential members.

“When I say add value: value is important, but I just look at the fit,” Warren told Action Network Tuesday at Big Ten Media Days. “A fit has to be there academically, has to be there athletically. All those things are really important. There are a handful of schools that potentially could add value to us, but I’m so focused right now that we welcome USC and UCLA to our conference in 2024 with open arms.”

Warren said he was proud that USC and UCLA are AAU (Association of American University) members but also said being an AAU member is not a requirement for a potential future member.

“Literally every Power Five conference school not in the SEC has reached out to the Big Ten,” a source said about schools wanting to join the conference. “University presidents, athletic directors, senior women administrators, you name it.”

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/big ... ttMcMurphy

Interesting that Clemson is left off the reported Big Ten list.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:53 pm Latest realignment reporting.

According to Action Network’s Brett McMurphy, Florida State and Miami join four schools from the bare bones of the Pac-12 (Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal) looking to become part of a burgeoning Big Ten super-conference.

Big Ten commish Kevin Warren told @ActionNetworkHQ there are “handful of schools” besides Notre Dame that would add value to Big Ten. Sources said other schools being considered by Big Ten: Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, Miami & Florida State https://t.co/nO3heAEHJP

INDIANAPOLIS — Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren told Action Network there are “a handful of schools” besides Notre Dame that would add value as future Big Ten members.

The schools being considered by the Big Ten, sources told Action Network, are Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, Miami and Florida State. Warren would not comment on specific schools as potential members.

“When I say add value: value is important, but I just look at the fit,” Warren told Action Network Tuesday at Big Ten Media Days. “A fit has to be there academically, has to be there athletically. All those things are really important. There are a handful of schools that potentially could add value to us, but I’m so focused right now that we welcome USC and UCLA to our conference in 2024 with open arms.”

Warren said he was proud that USC and UCLA are AAU (Association of American University) members but also said being an AAU member is not a requirement for a potential future member.

“Literally every Power Five conference school not in the SEC has reached out to the Big Ten,” a source said about schools wanting to join the conference. “University presidents, athletic directors, senior women administrators, you name it.”

DocBarrister
"Would add value as future members"

Does not mean anything is even remotely close to happening. You are putting the cart before the horse as usual. In similarly recent articles, he made it clear that the Big Ten is not looking to expand any further in the near future. This is just speculative talk to fill the media day obligations. You can't will this into happening, it will happen because those who know way way more than you do about these things have discussions that bear it out. Big difference between speculation and whether that leads to these moves actual happening. You seem to forget that on a daily basis, seemingly willfully.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hey “it’s just a lacrosse message board”. right?

“ As a relatively new poster, it seems that you engage with this poster more so than others. Why are you unable to ignore him and not engage? It's not anybody's jobs to discount what he is saying. It's a politics forum on a lacrosse website for Pete's sake. In the scheme of things, it's a fly on a elephant's poop. Just don't engage, regardless of what you think of it. I've been on this site for less than I month and even I can see that. Not anyone's responsibility to provide the "truth". Regardless of what you think that poster's intent is.”
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

LaxFan2000 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:10 pm

DocBarrister
"Would add value as future members"

Does not mean anything is even remotely close to happening. You are putting the cart before the horse as usual. In similarly recent articles, he made it clear that the Big Ten is not looking to expand any further in the near future. This is just speculative talk to fill the media day obligations. You can't will this into happening, it will happen because those who know way way more than you do about these things have discussions that bear it out. Big difference between speculation and whether that leads to these moves actual happening. You seem to forget that on a daily basis, seemingly willfully.
I am reporting this as trolling and continued personal attacks.

My post was essentially entirely comprised of excerpted text from two news articles and links to those news articles. My only comment was that I found it interesting that Clemson was not on the list.

Please stop your trolling.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

People, no trolling, no personal attacks, discuss issues, not post-ers.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister
saw that yesterday. most of the above wasn't really interesting to me (other than aau) tho it may be to others.
2 other things were later...
sankey and sec diverging with b1g on the conference qualifiers for the playoff. and this:

One Big Ten athletic director echoed Warren’s philosophy regarding the Big Ten’s future.

“This is chess, not checkers,” a Big Ten athletic director said. “We have to do what’s best for us. The old days of college athletics are gone. Checkers is over. The old days of college athletics is over. This is a business.”

I mentioned to Warren it’s apparent the Big Ten is not messing around anymore. The league will do what’s best for the Big Ten Conference.

“We’re not messing around,” Warren said. “This is how we got in this position. I don’t want to be Sears and Roebuck.”

and how those comments juxtaposed to kirk farentz's yesterday:
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... zing-voice

there have probably been dozens of p5 football coaches saying close to the exact same thing. things are out of control, we need guardrails or put a cap on these athletes' rights. the fact they came out of the same conference within hours of each other just made it hilarious.

one message hasn't seemed to make it to nc$$ honchos of various stripes... you are not exempt, you are in fact a business and are treating your workers in an illegal way. and you will need to stop this or we will keep ruling against you and it'll be worse.

i thought the $7 million salary was a nice touch.

now, farentz may have been saying we have to get up into collective bargaining and sooner than later. doubt it. but i'm not sure he understands who actually has the upper hand here.
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:25 pm and how those comments juxtaposed to kirk farentz's yesterday:
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... zing-voice

there have probably been dozens of p5 football coaches saying close to the exact same thing. things are out of control, we need guardrails or put a cap on these athletes' rights. the fact they came out of the same conference within hours of each other just made it hilarious.

one message hasn't seemed to make it to nc$$ honchos of various stripes... you are not exempt, you are in fact a business and are treating your workers in an illegal way. and you will need to stop this or we will keep ruling against you and it'll be worse.

i thought the $7 million salary was a nice touch.

now, farentz may have been saying we have to get up into collective bargaining and sooner than later. doubt it. but i'm not sure he understands who actually has the upper hand here.
This is hilarious to me.

Ask Farentz if his ability as an American to earn money is capped. Or suggest that the Federal Government should step in to provide rules as to what NCAA coaches can and can't earn both in salary and endorsements. And then let the comedy ensue as the light bulb goes on. (or not, i don't think these men who don't understand this are all that bright)

Once you rub their noses in the dog-doo, they'll finally understand why they CAN'T cap the money these Americans earn. Sorry pal, take these ideas to N Korea or China. You don't have a say on what an American earns, simply because (snicker) you coach them on a stupid basketball court.

:lol: ;)
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Big Ten reportedly casting aside ESPN and making a deal with Fox, CBS, and Notre Dame’s favorite network … NBC.

Interesting ….

https://thegame730am.com/big-tens-repor ... otre-dame/

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:09 pm Big Ten reportedly casting aside ESPN and making a deal with Fox, CBS, and Notre Dame’s favorite network … NBC.

Interesting ….

DocBarrister
Before you going making silly proclamations, read this!

"But then again, the Big Ten partnering with NBC is exactly what Notre Dame has reportedly been looking for in its quest to remain independent.

CBS Sports reported in July that Notre Dame, in an effort to ensure its independence remains economically viable, is looking to increase the payment it receives from NBC for its exclusive football TV rights from the $22 million it currently receives each year to $75 million:

For NBC to feel comfortable raising Notre Dame's valuation to such a level, it is seeking "shoulder programming" (in this case, games played before and/or after Notre Dame's contests) from a Power Five conference to enhance its college football coverage.

When such a move had been speculated previously, the Big Ten was the conference mentioned most often as a target. However, the Big 12 has emerged as a strong option to fill NBC's shoulder programming needs.

The Big Ten's new relationship with NBC is precisely the kind of shoulder programming the network would require to up the ante in its contract with Notre Dame, the current version of which expires in 2025.

If that were to happen, viewers in Big Ten country would have to get used to some new start times. Notre Dame plays many games starting at 2:30 eastern, meaning that shoulder programming by way of Big Ten games would result in 6 p.m. kickoff times.

Regardless, the immediate future of Fighting Irish football is likely to be independent. Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick has maintained that the Irish will remain independent until or unless they simply can no longer afford to.

At this point, Notre Dame is different than the likes of Oklahoma, Texas, UCLA, and USC — it literally can afford to wait."

Read More: Big Ten's Reported New TV Rights Deal Has Major Implications For | https://thegame730am.com/big-tens-repor ... m=referral
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

LaxFan2000 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:57 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:09 pm Big Ten reportedly casting aside ESPN and making a deal with Fox, CBS, and Notre Dame’s favorite network … NBC.

Interesting ….

DocBarrister
Before you going making silly proclamations, read this!

"But then again, the Big Ten partnering with NBC is exactly what Notre Dame has reportedly been looking for in its quest to remain independent.

CBS Sports reported in July that Notre Dame, in an effort to ensure its independence remains economically viable, is looking to increase the payment it receives from NBC for its exclusive football TV rights from the $22 million it currently receives each year to $75 million:

For NBC to feel comfortable raising Notre Dame's valuation to such a level, it is seeking "shoulder programming" (in this case, games played before and/or after Notre Dame's contests) from a Power Five conference to enhance its college football coverage.

When such a move had been speculated previously, the Big Ten was the conference mentioned most often as a target. However, the Big 12 has emerged as a strong option to fill NBC's shoulder programming needs.

The Big Ten's new relationship with NBC is precisely the kind of shoulder programming the network would require to up the ante in its contract with Notre Dame, the current version of which expires in 2025.

If that were to happen, viewers in Big Ten country would have to get used to some new start times. Notre Dame plays many games starting at 2:30 eastern, meaning that shoulder programming by way of Big Ten games would result in 6 p.m. kickoff times.

Regardless, the immediate future of Fighting Irish football is likely to be independent. Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick has maintained that the Irish will remain independent until or unless they simply can no longer afford to.

At this point, Notre Dame is different than the likes of Oklahoma, Texas, UCLA, and USC — it literally can afford to wait."

Read More: Big Ten's Reported New TV Rights Deal Has Major Implications For | https://thegame730am.com/big-tens-repor ... m=referral
Well, none of that is surprising. Prior reports indicated that Notre Dame was looking for $75 million a year from NBC to remain an independent. In order to make that work, Notre Dame needed NBC to find “shoulder programming” that NBC could bundle with Notre Dame to make the bundle sufficiently valuable to justify the $75 million annual payout to the Fighting Irish. Some speculated the Big 12 might get involved in that role, but now it looks like the Big Ten will step in.

Since the Big Ten still wants Notre Dame to join the conference, it makes sense long-term to get involved with one of Notre Dame’s key business partners.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

For teams as aligned once new adds are finished in B1G and SEC:

National Championships since 2000:

SEC: 16 from 7 teams

B1G: 2 from 1 team
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:03 pm For teams as aligned once new adds are finished in B1G and SEC:

Two more for B1G once USC joins.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

the football wins and losses are irrelevant. The cash and exposure from the conference having a presence in the 3 biggest markets in the country are not. Then there's also the matter that the archrival acc aside from Notre Dame is now in a permanent state of conference limbo and financial uncertainty.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:09 pm
Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:03 pm For teams as aligned once new adds are finished in B1G and SEC:

DocBarrister
Ok, true but 2004 USC was vacated right?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:49 am
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:09 pm

DocBarrister
Ok, true but 2004 USC was vacated right?
True, but the NCAA no longer controls the college football championship, unlike a certain other sport where a vacated title has been controversial. ;)

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

B1G Finalizes Biggest Media Deal in College Football

Post by DocBarrister »

The Big Ten Conference has finalized a monumental set of media rights agreements, expected to be worth more than $1 billion annually, with Fox, CBS and NBC — and notably without ESPN. The Big Ten’s new deals will make it the wealthiest conference in college sports, just weeks after the conference announced it would add University of Southern California and UCLA from the Pacific-12.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... tv-rights/

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

So CBS keeps the big East, ESPN keeps the ACC, BIG affiliates with FOX??, and NBC picks up ??. Does Norte Dame now move its lax to NBC or are they still tied to ESPN. Does this mean more non-paywall games in TV? Guess we’ll have to wait to 2024 season.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”