9%
unreasonable and unfortunate
61%

Total votes: 56

MDlaxfan76

Re: ivy league poll: for ivy leaguers only: mitigation efforts

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:29 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:11 pmJust strange that your posts are always so negative about Ivies...do you feel that way about other schools?
I've moved on but I must admit, I'm still bothered by the Ivies not playing last season. And other leagues/teams that made the same decision. Especially the leagues. Even 1 year later.
Fair enough...my answer on that was "reasonable but unfortunate"...I get where they were coming from, not wanting to make an exception for sports, but argghhh.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:51 pm ...all such are less than 20%...
Still a lot. from where I'm standing.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:54 pm Fair enough...my answer on that was "reasonable but unfortunate"...I get where they were coming from, not wanting to make an exception for sports, but argghhh.
admittedly, i bring some baggage to the equation and... i took the decision as somehow (I'm not sure how, again, i bring some baggage to this) arrogant, elitist. something like, We're doing the right thing, you fools can do what you want. Again, with zero evidence to back this up...
Caddy Day
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:59 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:51 pm ...all such are less than 20%...
Still a lot. from where I'm standing.
Understood and you're likely the norm in that way, but you also said you haven't been very involved with your former program or schools, so I would guess that you don't feel the same sort of "community" benefits I've enjoyed as a result of those involvements.

I know that my wife didn't have the same sort of such experience with her high school relative to mine (good experience, just not the same sort), and I also know that not all classes at my high school have remained as tight and committed as ours. And that gets reflected in such giving.

My other giving also tends to be oriented around organizations with which I or a family member or close friend are deeply involved.

I don't give to phone solicitors! :)
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:01 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:54 pm Fair enough...my answer on that was "reasonable but unfortunate"...I get where they were coming from, not wanting to make an exception for sports, but argghhh.
admittedly, i bring some baggage to the equation and... i took the decision as somehow (I'm not sure how, again, i bring some baggage to this) arrogant, elitist. something like, We're doing the right thing, you fools can do what you want. Again, with zero evidence to back this up...
I can't know for sure, but I think a lot of people simply assume that Ivy Admins, faculty, alums, etc are "arrogant, elitist" and heck, IMO, there's indeed plenty of reason to think that ...as some are! Not unique to Ivies, BTW.

But very few to the extent that I think that they are caricatured as being...and most really aren't. At least not beyond the direct facts of the selectivity both for admission and for employment. What I've found, generally, across alumni I've been exposed to from various Ivy schools is that most feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to be part of those communities, learn with a lot of very bright people, be taught by a bunch of very bright people, etc. Most had a great time outside of the classroom as well...of course, not everyone has a great experience in or out of the classroom.

Certainly not unique to Ivies!

And of course the Administrations at these institutions felt they were "right". That's the job, consider the evidence, make choices...do the "right" choice, not the "wrong" choice. Doesn't mean they thought others were "fools", just that they were making the "right" decision for their own institution.

As a number of us warned as this was developing, the Ivies were going to not make exceptions for sports versus other activities. Whatever the rules were for those other activities pertaining to travel, etc, that was what was going to get applied to sports. That's the ethos. Sports are simply not going to get preferential treatment.

Which doesn't mean, as some haters suggest, that Ivies "don't care about sports". That's obviously not true, as Ivies support far more sports, and far higher athlete to overall student body ratio, than any other D1 institutions. With no net positive revenue sports.

From my certainly biased perspective, there's a great deal of loud, negative disinformation about Ivies, coming from people who really have no clue or who have a political agenda...whatever the topic, they want to take swings...so, those who would otherwise not really know better get influenced by those loud negative voices. Pro-Ivy voices tend to be much more restrained.

And of course, sometimes there really is good reason to be critical, for instance as I was about Dartmouth's bumbling cutting sports this past summer, thankfully reversed and resulting in the firing of the AD (I blame the Pres as well...BD's not blameless either). Likewise was very critical of Harvard's very disingenuous attack of finals clubs, again thankfully failed.

These are a bunch of human beings. They're gonna get things wrong from time to time.

On the restrictions that impacted sports, I thought they were "reasonable" for the entire student body, based on the situational assessment and tradeoffs at the time, thus "reasonable" ("expected") to apply as well to sports participation. But obviously "unfortunate".
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:34 am As a number of us warned as this was developing, the Ivies were going to not make exceptions for sports versus other activities. Whatever the rules were for those other activities pertaining to travel, etc, that was what was going to get applied to sports. That's the ethos. Sports are simply not going to get preferential treatment...
That's interesting. I hear that, respect that...
Caddy Day
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:34 am
I can't know for sure, but I think a lot of people simply assume that Ivy Admins, faculty, alums, etc are "arrogant, elitist" and heck, IMO, there's indeed plenty of reason to think that ...as some are! Not unique to Ivies, BTW.

But very few to the extent that I think that they are caricatured as being...and most really aren't. At least not beyond the direct facts of the selectivity both for admission and for employment. What I've found, generally, across alumni I've been exposed to from various Ivy schools is that most feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to be part of those communities, learn with a lot of very bright people, be taught by a bunch of very bright people, etc. Most had a great time outside of the classroom as well...of course, not everyone has a great experience in or out of the classroom.

And of course the Administrations at these institutions felt they were "right". That's the job, consider the evidence, make choices...do the "right" choice, not the "wrong" choice. Doesn't mean they thought others were "fools", just that they were making the "right" decision for their own institution.

As a number of us warned as this was developing, the Ivies were going to not make exceptions for sports versus other activities. Whatever the rules were for those other activities pertaining to travel, etc, that was what was going to get applied to sports. That's the ethos. Sports are simply not going to get preferential treatment.

Which doesn't mean, as some haters suggest, that Ivies "don't care about sports". That's obviously not true, as Ivies support far more sports, and far higher athlete to overall student body ratio, than any other D1 institutions. With no net positive revenue sports.

From my certainly biased perspective, there's a great deal of loud, negative disinformation about Ivies, coming from people who really have no clue or who have a political agenda...whatever the topic, they want to take swings...so, those who would otherwise not really know better get influenced by those loud negative voices. Pro-Ivy voices tend to be much more restrained.

And of course, sometimes there really is good reason to be critical, for instance as I was about Dartmouth's bumbling cutting sports this past summer, thankfully reversed and resulting in the firing of the AD (I blame the Pres as well...BD's not blameless either). Likewise was very critical of Harvard's very disingenuous attack of finals clubs, again thankfully failed.

These are a bunch of human beings. They're gonna get things wrong from time to time.

On the restrictions that impacted sports, I thought they were "reasonable" for the entire student body, based on the situational assessment and tradeoffs at the time, thus "reasonable" ("expected") to apply as well to sports participation. But obviously "unfortunate".
“ From my certainly biased perspective, there's a great deal of loud, negative disinformation about Ivies, coming from people who really have no clue or who have a political agenda...whatever the topic, they want to take swings...so, those who would otherwise not really know better get influenced by those loud negative voices. Pro-Ivy voices tend to be much more restrained.”

Indeed. However, I think there are more things to consider here. Perhaps we move it to Politics or General and explore factors like declining demographic and ROI on 4 year credentials given the meteoric rate of increase in cost of higher education?

Not that I am very temperate in opinion and speech or tolerant of rubes…
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:01 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:34 am As a number of us warned as this was developing, the Ivies were going to not make exceptions for sports versus other activities. Whatever the rules were for those other activities pertaining to travel, etc, that was what was going to get applied to sports. That's the ethos. Sports are simply not going to get preferential treatment...
That's interesting. I hear that, respect that...
Kinda "is what it is".

Certainly well meaning...frustrating at times for the athletes, though...who know that other programs operate under different understandings. (Most student activities don't have the same competitive dynamics as do sports).

The biggest challenge, of course, are the restrictions on practices off-season. Again, well meaning. But sometimes that means that coaches are trying to squeeze more 'learning' and 'training' into a shorter span of time that would actually be easier on the athlete if spread out more.

Another is the emphasis on no special support for athletes in the educational process, no special tutoring access, etc. Ethos is the athletes are on their own, should get no special support relative to non-athletes. Nor special access to food availability (sometimes practices, film, etc puts athletes outside of when food hall is open). Quite different than at some competitor programs outside of the Ivies. No special treatment ethos.

But all part of the choice an athlete makes when choosing Ivy. "is what it is" costs and benefits...

We live in an era of hyper-competitiveness in college sports, with greater and greater emphasis on them, now with NLI and the coming excesses around it, etc.. perhaps, at least arguably, the Ivy ethos has some real contrarian merit.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:31 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:34 am

“ From my certainly biased perspective, there's a great deal of loud, negative disinformation about Ivies, coming from people who really have no clue or who have a political agenda...whatever the topic, they want to take swings...so, those who would otherwise not really know better get influenced by those loud negative voices. Pro-Ivy voices tend to be much more restrained.”

Indeed. However, I think there are more things to consider here. Perhaps we move it to Politics or General and explore factors like declining demographic and ROI on 4 year credentials given the meteoric rate of increase in cost of higher education?

Not that I am very temperate in opinion and speech or tolerant of rubes…
That would be an interesting topic as well, especially any such veering fully from lacrosse related discussions.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

so this was interesting posted on another board:
https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2021/10/ ... n-in-2022/

some yalies weighing in on athletic schollies. and maybe merit academics as well, but i have no idea if that's ivy regulated.

obv, this could go all kinds of ways, but one of them is ivy lax having more schollies than anyone! will they rise from the ashes?!?! going from dead, buried and possibly eliminating sports due to their response to covid, to having hand.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:55 pm so this was interesting posted on another board:

some yalies weighing in on athletic schollies. and maybe merit academics as well, but i have no idea if that's ivy regulated.

obv, this could go all kinds of ways, but one of them is ivy lax having more schollies than anyone! will they rise from the ashes?!?! going from dead, buried and possibly eliminating sports due to their response to covid, to having hand.
I don’t see the Ivy League offering athletic scholarships. Merit based awards to athletes may be possible. As for athletic scholarships, nobody is forcing kids to go to an Ivy League School without an athletic scholarship. Plenty of other schools.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:05 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:55 pm so this was interesting posted on another board:

I don’t see the Ivy League offering athletic scholarships. Merit based awards to athletes may be possible. As for athletic scholarships, nobody is forcing kids to go to an Ivy League School without an athletic scholarship. Plenty of other schools.
i dunno, man. could be all that it takes is an enterprising lawyer rounds up a few athletes. are there any ivy alums who are lawyers?

maybe the ivy hires the best ones for themselves. but this ain't no automatic on anything anymore.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:13 pm

i dunno, man. could be all that it takes is an enterprising lawyer rounds up a few athletes. are there any ivy alums who are lawyers?

maybe the ivy hires the best ones for themselves. but this ain't no automatic on anything anymore.
Plenty of schools don’t fully fund athletic scholarships. Maybe ALL COLLEGES should be forced to fund athletic scholarships.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:38 pm

Plenty of schools don’t fully fund athletic scholarships. Maybe ALL COLLEGES should be forced to fund athletic scholarships.
are there, tho? that don't fund division 1 basketball and football?
patriot league? and ivy? is that the list?

if in the face of challenge, most of all that's left is the schools in your league, well that sounds like anti-trust and collusion. at the heart of what rulings are about. i understand admin's will go kicking and screaming, not least because they know the uproar it'll cause up front... but this may no longer be in their control not too far down the line.

things change. the ivy could be a lax powerhouse again!
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:19 am

if in the face of challenge, most of all that's left is the schools in your league, well that sounds like anti-trust and collusion. at the heart of what rulings are about. i understand admin's will go kicking and screaming, not least because they know the uproar it'll cause up front... but this may no longer be in their control not too far down the line.

I am a hardliner. We will see if the Ivy League will be forced to offer athletic scholarships to all athletes. Let me know.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Times change for sure, but Ivy football was once a big thing, and the admins let that fall by the wayside rather than go schollie.
Plus ça change?
Typical Lax Dad

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:30 am Times change for sure, but Ivy football was once a big thing, and the admins let that fall by the wayside rather than go schollie.
Plus ça change?
The belief is that the Ivy League will be forced to offer athletic scholarships….I thought the potential litigation surrounded merit aid, which isn’t provided to athletes. I don’t see many people being forced to play an ivy league sport. Not even after being admitted. Nescac may be next to ofter athletic scholarships.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:21 am

I am a hardliner. We will see if the Ivy League will be forced to offer athletic scholarships to all athletes. Let me know.
i actually expect you to give me a kudos when it does.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:48 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:21 am

i actually expect you to give me a kudos when it does.
I will. My opinion can be just as wrong as the next guy’s.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

who is this next guy in your scenario?!?? moi?!?! hahaha.

i haven't the slightest what kind of chance this has of happening. maybe 2%, maybe 32%. the yale attorneys and writer maybe just want a thought experiment or something to do. just passing it along. imo, about everything everywhere is in play now.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”