Brown 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bearlaxfan

Brown 2022

Post by bearlaxfan »

Frosh being posted individually on Brown Men's Lax Instagram.
Can Opener

Re: Brown 2022

Post by Can Opener »

Brown will have a significant advantage over several of its Ivy rivals because the Bears were able to practice together all spring. HYP chose chose to disperse their squads and play for the extra year at the end of their careers. That may pay off in 2023, but I don't think that helps them in 2022. By all accounts, the Brown practices were conducted as if there was a full schedule ahead of them. Good on the coaching staff and captains for demanding that level of dedication. The game against BU proved how serious their training was all spring. That is much better for a team than lifting and playing wall ball alone or in small groups. The key question is how many '21s will somehow return to play in '22. I know of at least one case in which a '21 was able to rearrange his time on campus to keep eligibility for playing next spring.

A few good insights on the team from Coach Daly during this podcast interview:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/e ... 0524745210
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Good hype video posted by Coach Daly showcasing the Brown Center for Lacrosse and Soccer. Through some slick editing, the building now seems to be the Brown Center for Lacrosse. Fair enough given that lacrosse raised most of the $ for the project. It's not quite the Tsai Mahal down the road at Yale, but hey, who wants to live in New Haven for the best years of your life?
https://twitter.com/BrownLacrosse/statu ... 58122?s=20
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

So far 8 Bear freshmen introduced on Instagram; 4 California, 1 Colorado, 2NY, 1 MD. Interesting...
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

bearlaxfan wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:36 am So far 8 Bear freshmen introduced on Instagram; 4 California, 1 Colorado, 2NY, 1 MD. Interesting...
Daly likes hard-nosed football types. Maybe he’s finding more of those out west.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:40 am
bearlaxfan wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:36 am So far 8 Bear freshmen introduced on Instagram; 4 California, 1 Colorado, 2NY, 1 MD. Interesting...
Daly likes hard-nosed football types. Maybe he’s finding more of those out west.
More like he’s letting Jono Zissi tell him who to recruit.
RopeUnit

Post by RopeUnit »

I don't see a downside to being connected to Zissi, he runs the best show in the West.
Demert for some reason is listed from San Francisco--but he is off Long Island and was an AA and the Suffolk Defensemen of the year. One of the hardest hitting HS players I can recall.
InsidRoll wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:44 am
smoova

Post by smoova »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:44 am
Zissi's marketing certainly resonates with many coaches. That influence was expanded by the NCAA extended dead period. Some teams are getting gems and some are not.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Let's go Brown State! Ever True!
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

Any update on returning fifth years? Roster or schedule? Heard Coach’s take on NE Lax. Hope it is true that the attempt to have a year last year pays dividends for Brown vs the strategy of withdrawal to preserve eligibility that HPY pursued.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Bearfan wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:05 pm Any update on returning fifth years? Roster or schedule? Heard Coach’s take on NE Lax. Hope it is true that the attempt to have a year last year pays dividends for Brown vs the strategy of withdrawal to preserve eligibility that HPY pursued.
I snooped around a little on LinkedIn. It appears that some guys (like Goss) have entered the real world, while others are in summer internship mode. We'll know soon enough when the roster is released.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

2022 4-star LSM Cooper Kistler has flipped from Brown to Princeton, leaving Brown's '22 class with 1 G, 1 A, 0 D and 10 or 11 M (couple of kids on laxbucket's list that are not on IL's).
Laxrules10

Post by Laxrules10 »

Interesting recruiting class with no defenders and a ton of middies. Guessing some will play attack. Brown got a solid 2023 commit today from Laxachusetts goalie Connor Foley.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Laxrules10 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:24 pm Interesting recruiting class with no defenders and a ton of middies. Guessing some will play attack. Brown got a solid 2023 commit today from Laxachusetts goalie Connor Foley.
Foley is really fun to watch. Crazy quick hands and able to make spectacular saves that most goalies don't make. He is also excellent with his stick on clears in traffic. He is a wild card. He is the kind of guy who could get hot and make 20 saves against Yale -- which Brown may need to beat them in the next couple of years. Foley is from Thayer Academy, again showing that Daly is not afraid of recruiting ISL and New England prep school players over Balto and L.I.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:46 am
Laxrules10 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:24 pm Interesting recruiting class with no defenders and a ton of middies. Guessing some will play attack. Brown got a solid 2023 commit today from Laxachusetts goalie Connor Foley.
Foley is really fun to watch. Crazy quick hands and able to make spectacular saves that most goalies don't make. He is also excellent with his stick on clears in traffic. He is a wild card. He is the kind of guy who could get hot and make 20 saves against Yale -- which Brown may need to beat them in the next couple of years. Foley is from Thayer Academy, again showing that Daly is not afraid of recruiting ISL and New England prep school players over Balto and L.I.
Not sure I understand.
Why would any coach in New England "be afraid" of recruiting a nearby kid over one from further away (eg Baltimore)?

The harder challenge, it seems to me, would be to recruit a kid one may not have seen 'live' in a regular season, high competition level game.... or two or three or four.

Or do I miss some subtext?
I know there's some rumbling about Admissions at various Ivies, including my alma mater, not needing to see more affluent kids from these states, so is that the subtext?
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

MD - i think it's just legacy feelings of inferiority from decades back...obviously plenty of good lacrosse in NE these days, especially in the ISL.(though I have no idea about the affluent bit..maybe Daly is going against orders by admitting kids from $$$ schools)
Last edited by middleAgedBear on Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

MDLax, I think it is more a reflection of the ISL feeling underappreciated.
Atticus

Post by Atticus »

Lots of really good goalies have gone to the Ivies alone from NE and/or ISL lately. Blaisdell, Shaw, Junkin, Goss, Hincks to name a handful. Foley has nothing to feel insecure about!
Last edited by Atticus on Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

DALaxDad wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:45 pm MDLax, I think it is more a reflection of the ISL feeling underappreciated.
Yes, that is what I was referencing. I think NE West is now fully appreciated nationally, but the ISL along with New England boarding schools outside of NE West are still viewed by many as well behind L.I. and Baltimore. Daly prides himself on recruiting hard-nosed football types, so it's clear he doesn't believe in the cliche of "soft" prep school kids vs. a St. Anthony's or Chaminade guy. Laxachusetts and 3d New England fielded some of the top 10 teams in the country in many age groups this summer. I suppose Daly's strategy of recruiting smart kids in his back yard shouldn't be that shocking. It reminds me of Jon Stewart accepting an Emmy a few years ago when he told the crowd (I'm paraphrasing): "They told me I couldn't do it with a team of Ivy League-educated Jewish males, but we proved 'em all wrong!"
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

[/quote]
It reminds me of Jon Stewart accepting an Emmy a few years ago when he told the crowd (I'm paraphrasing): "They told me I couldn't do it with a team of Ivy League-educated Jewish males, but we proved 'em all wrong!"
[/quote]

:lol: :lol:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”