Rutgers 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Henpecked

Re: Rutgers 2022

Post by Henpecked »

I'd say that this out of conference schedule is weak sauce for a team that is expecting such great things.

68 teams played D1 lacrosse last year and the vast majority of this OOC schedule ended last year ranked in the bottom half of those 68 teams.

Stony Brook #33
LIU #53
Hofstra #36
St. Johns #57
Lafayette #65

Army ranked #9 last year but Princeton and Marist didn't really play in 2021(Marist played 4 games and lost in the first round to Canisius).

So calling this a middle of the pack SOS is being very generous.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

The OOC schedule isn't great...but it's not terrible. Would I like to see 1 or 2 changes in the OOC schedule...sure...but that's it...some of these games are consistent with who they play...a few local rivalries or shall I say teams they play every year or almost every year...at least recently...

They have 3 top matchups in:

Loyola
Army
Princeton

Then you have a few games I think would be considered tricky games vs teams that could and have beat them...these are not cupcake games:

Stony Brook
Hofstra

Then you have the section of games I think they could have flipped out 1 or 2 and it would have made the overall look of the schedule much better IMO...change just 1 or 2 of these to a bigger game (no more) and frankly your good:

LIU
Lafayette
St John's
Marist

I would have loved to see just 1...maybe 2 of these 4 flipped to "higher profile SOS" games...namely just 1 ACC game (Cuse or ND) and you would have a solid schedule....

The Big Ten is a very tough schedule and they will get 5 tough games plus at least 1 in the B1G tourney...so that is 6 or maybe more high SOS games in conference....

Bottom line, this schedule is one move away...say take Marist or LIU off and put in a Syracuse or ND...heck, maybe even a Navy and you have a very good schedule

But it is what it is...and frankly we don't know what calls were made and who might have said no, were not playing, or what calls were made...or not made...

Heck, Georgetown has played a few schedules much much worse than this over the years...they finally upgraded this year

In the end...RU will have to win most of the OOC and then make it happen in conference...it will all play out
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:30 pm The OOC schedule isn't great...but it's not terrible. Would I like to see 1 or 2 changes in the OOC schedule...sure...but that's it...some of these games are consistent with who they play...a few local rivalries or shall I say teams they play every year or almost every year...at least recently...

They have 3 top matchups in:

Loyola
Army
Princeton

Then you have a few games I think would be considered tricky games vs teams that could and have beat them...these are not cupcake games:

Stony Brook
Hofstra

Then you have the section of games I think they could have flipped out 1 or 2 and it would have made the overall look of the schedule much better IMO...change just 1 or 2 of these to a bigger game (no more) and frankly your good:

LIU
Lafayette
St John's
Marist

And no disrespect to these schools...simply talking about SOS building here

I would have loved to see just 1...maybe 2 of these 4 flipped to "higher profile SOS" games...namely just 1 ACC game (Cuse or ND) and you would have a solid schedule....

The Big Ten is a very tough schedule and they will get 5 tough games plus at least 1 in the B1G tourney...so that is 6 or maybe more high SOS games in conference....

Bottom line, this schedule is one move away...say take Marist or LIU off and put in a Syracuse or ND...heck, maybe even a Navy and you have a very good schedule

But it is what it is...and frankly we don't know what calls were made and who might have said no, were not playing, or what calls were made...or not made...

Heck, Georgetown has played a few schedules much much worse than this over the years...they finally upgraded this year

In the end...RU will have to win most of the OOC and then make it happen in conference...it will all play out
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I wouldn’t care in the least if I was Brecht, about SOS.

SOS is an extremely questionable measure,
and last year showed you can set NCAA seedings
and such without much or any OOC.

Rutger’s schedule rating will look much different
after the B1G in conference games, as well as following
the B1G tournament.

The ACC plays this game year in and year out.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:59 pm I wouldn’t care in the least if I was Brecht, about SOS.

SOS is an extremely questionable measure,
and last year showed you can set NCAA seedings
and such without much or any OOC.

Rutger’s schedule rating will look much different
after the B1G in conference games, as well as following
the B1G tournament.

The ACC plays this game year in and year out.
The ACC can do this as all 5 teams are deemed elite national programs while only Maryland is considered elite in the Big Ten right now. I do not think that you can count on the strength of the Big Ten conference schedule to balance out the overall weakness of the OOC schedule.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Correct. Schedule is neither strong nor soft.

Rutgers has a fairly good team and their fans can expect a winning record but true standing be judged on how they fare win or lose agaisnt Maryland, Army, Loyola, Hopkins and suppose Princeton than most others on schedule .
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

stupefied wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:49 pm Correct. Schedule is neither strong nor soft.

Rutgers has a fairly good team and their fans can expect a winning record but true standing be judged on how they fare win or lose agaisnt Maryland, Army, Loyola, Hopkins and suppose Princeton than most others on schedule .
I've seen much worse OOC schedules...see Georgetown in recent years (not this year) and Michigan just released theirs today...take a look at that one...

With that said I agree with your overall point...I don't think it's strong or soft...as a matter of fact one could argue you're better off playing a couple ACC schools in place of a Marist or a Hofstra or Stony Brook...those three teams will fight and be tough wins for RU IMO and you'll get zero street credit for beating them...but if you go play a Cuse or an ND in place of those...you can lose and still get credit...that is really where the issue is...and they play @Hofstra and @Stony Brook...so traveling to both...I actually think those are very risky and tough trips...but time will tell

I would also argue that we should wait on OSU, UM, and PSU...let's just see how they fair in the OOC before we call them weak games...IMO, every big ten game is tough and all those teams are top 25

I'd also argue the trip to Loyola and playing Army are as tough of games as you can schedule outside of playing the top 4 ACC teams and Yale or Penn...but I value the top of the Patriot much more than the top of the big east...

Bottom line is it's a mediocre OOC schedule that actually has scheduling risks...not rewards...as I posted earlier...I'd be fine with it if they would have changed out say a Marist for a Syracuse...that would have been a perfect mix

Time will tell...gotta win some big games to be even in the conversation come late April/early May

Post by 1766 »

One fact of scheduling life. It takes two to tango. Can't say some programs from a certain conference weren't approached.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

1766 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:17 pm One fact of scheduling life. It takes two to tango. Can't say some programs from a certain conference weren't approached.
This is actually true....
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Rutgers will be better this year than last year.
sinman6

Post by sinman6 »

livelovelax wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:27 am Rutgers will be better this year than last year.
Willing to bet on that? Message me :)
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

livelovelax wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:27 am Rutgers will be better this year than last year.
I would take that bet also. Losing too much offense and did not get enough help at FOGO.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

I have a hard time thinking RU will be better...but I also think they’re gonna be better than most think and don’t think they’ll have a massive drop. I think barring bad injuries in key spots, I think they’ll be in the mix

Predictions are kind of worthless but they’re fun so I’ll just throw mine out there

They go 7-2 in the OOC

They go 3-2 in the B1G reg season

10-4 prior to the post season tourneys

Ten they hit the conference tourney. I won’t predict that one 😉🤣

Again, I think they’re not gonna be quite as good, but they are gonna make some noise IMO
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

At the very least they will be 11-3 regular season and 1-1 in the Big Ten Tournament so 12-4 overall leading up to the NCAA tourney.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

livelovelax wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:00 pm At the very least they will be 11-3 regular season and 1-1 in the Big Ten Tournament so 12-4 overall leading up to the NCAA tourney.
Have they ever had a record that good under Brecht? Their best record pre B1G tourney under him is 10-4 and best overall 11-5. So you’re basically saying they’ll have the best team they’ve ever had after losing 3 of their 4 best players; 2 of whom are all time program greats

I think Rutgers made some really good moves in the portal and meaningfully raised the floor of their team to the point I’d be surprised if they aren’t in the Top 20 mix most of the year and have a real shot at the tournament; but you’re suggesting they’ll have the best team they’ve had in 10+ years which seems crazy after the losses they had.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

10-4 with that schedule probably isn't going to be enough for an at-large bid unless two of those wins are against Maryland and Loyola. Maybe put Army in that group but less certain about them. The schedule is short on guaranteed "quality win" opportunities. Before you accuse me of hating — it's just a fact. The schedule is what it is in terms of predicted RPI/SOS. You can bank on Maryland and Loyola being top 20 wins. Army most likely but not a guarantee IMO. That's about it. Obviously I hope and expect Hopkins to be a top 20 team as well. OSU and PSU have shots to be. But the first three games (LIU, Marist, St. John's) are wastes from an RPI/QW standpoint, the four non-cons between Loyola and B1G play (SBU, Princeton, Lafayette, Hofstra) are highly unlikely to be QWs if you ask me (maaaybe Princeton, depending on how they rebound from the lost year) and then 4/5 B1G opponents are maybes. Long story short: 10-4 looks nice but may not get the job done. With the Ivies presumably back, it's going to be really hard to snag an at-large spot this year. Going to need more than one standout win and this schedule is probably going to leave Rutgers short of opportunities even if they clean-sweep the teams they're supposed to.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

the only thing that matters anymore is your own rpi. happy to be wrong going forward. excepting 2021 covid year (and winning conf champ), that is how at larges have been selected for 2-3 years.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Yes, I am expecting Rutgers to have their best team ever, this coming spring.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:30 pm
livelovelax wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:00 pm At the very least they will be 11-3 regular season and 1-1 in the Big Ten Tournament so 12-4 overall leading up to the NCAA tourney.
Have they ever had a record that good under Brecht? Their best record pre B1G tourney under him is 10-4 and best overall 11-5. So you’re basically saying they’ll have the best team they’ve ever had after losing 3 of their 4 best players; 2 of whom are all time program greats

I think Rutgers made some really good moves in the portal and meaningfully raised the floor of their team to the point I’d be surprised if they aren’t in the Top 20 mix most of the year and have a real shot at the tournament; but you’re suggesting they’ll have the best team they’ve had in 10+ years which seems crazy after the losses they had.
Last year was the best team Rutgers has had in two decades. Yes, last year was different, all big ten schedule, a few less games, but their performance in the NCAA validated them as the best RU team in a long time.

Now, everything else you note I agree with. I think RU stays in the top 10-15 range all year, I think they need to beat 2 of 3 in the Loyola, Army, Princeton games. I actually value the conference but I guess what I think doesn’t matter. I think Hop will be very good and if both teams stay healthy I think either Hopkins or Rutgers get a spot after Maryland. If RU goes 10-4 and gets to the big ten tourney final, I think they’re in. It also depends on how the rest of the conference fairs in the OOC schedule. Big Ten wins could have a strong value...maybe. Maybe not. Time will tell...it’s all speculation.

I also agree it’s going to be very hard to replace the three big stars from last year

With all that said, I like RU this year...not to win it all or win the big ten...but to be in the mix and in the conversation. And yes, the OOC schedule may cost them.

Fun conversation.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:56 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:30 pm

Last year was the best team Rutgers has had in two decades. Yes, last year was different, all big ten schedule, a few less games, but their performance in the NCAA validated them as the best RU team in a long time.

Now, everything else you note I agree with. I think RU stays in the top 10-15 range all year, I think they need to beat 2 of 3 in the Loyola, Army, Princeton games. I actually value the conference but I guess what I think doesn’t matter. I think Hop will be very good and if both teams stay healthy I think either Hopkins or Rutgers get a spot after Maryland. If RU goes 10-4 and gets to the big ten tourney final, I think they’re in. It also depends on how the rest of the conference fairs in the OOC schedule. Big Ten wins could have a strong value...maybe. Maybe not. Time will tell...it’s all speculation.

I also agree it’s going to be very hard to replace the three big stars from last year

With all that said, I like RU this year...not to win it all or win the big ten...but to be in the mix and in the conversation. And yes, the OOC schedule may cost them.

Fun conversation.
I agree last years team was the best. No question. Was more talking about the record part of the conversation since OP above said they'd be 11-3 after the end of the regular season which they've never done; I imagine they likely would have in a normal year last year

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”