Dartmouth 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Dartmouth 2022

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:24 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:14 pm
smoova wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:35 pm Interesting flip here: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... commitment

Anyone have the backstory?
I don't, other than the timing of Admissions' calendar.

I looked for any video of him playing, perhaps with some academic info as well, couldn't find anything on quick search...also didn't see any academic info on the various recruiting sites.

Certainly much harder to get into Dartmouth than Dickinson.
Just heard an Ivy League player was just reached out to because a ‘22 committed to a highly selective college is reclassifying to ‘23….my guess is the player has to PG and the highly selective school is looking for a high probability admit to take his spot. First time the kid ever heard from them was with an offer.
Can you explain this with a bit more detail?

Was this related to Dartmouth?

Was the "Ivy League player" a commit to an Ivy? is that what you meant?

and by "highly selective" do you mean an Ivy or something else?

Not following the progression, linkages...
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:37 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:24 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:14 pm
smoova wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:35 pm Interesting flip here: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... commitment

Anyone have the backstory?
I don't, other than the timing of Admissions' calendar.

I looked for any video of him playing, perhaps with some academic info as well, couldn't find anything on quick search...also didn't see any academic info on the various recruiting sites.

Certainly much harder to get into Dartmouth than Dickinson.
Just heard an Ivy League player was just reached out to because a ‘22 committed to a highly selective college is reclassifying to ‘23….my guess is the player has to PG and the highly selective school is looking for a high probability admit to take his spot. First time the kid ever heard from them was with an offer.
Can you explain this with a bit more detail?

Was this related to Dartmouth?

Was the "Ivy League player" a commit to an Ivy? is that what you meant?

and by "highly selective" do you mean an Ivy or something else?

Not following the progression, linkages...
No. Just the de-commit and re-commit caught my eye and reminded me of a conversation I just had yesterday. The player is committed to an Ivy and a non Ivy probably rolled a kid and needed to fill the hole.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:18 pm Image
Pretty manageable OOC for them to make some strides before league play and get some momentum and confidence
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
check sticks

Post by check sticks »

Its been quite awhile since Dartmouth lax played more home games than away games.
2022: 7 Home,6 Away
May have no bearing on outcome, but good to see a few more OOC teams willing to make the trip North.
Coach C a Stoney Brook alum. Last time the two teams played in 1998. Maybe the start of a home/away series ?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

I always like it when Ivy teams play against Big 10 teams, so I'm glad to see OSU added to the Green's schedule. Bryant is also a good OOC opponent. I don't think the conference schedule will be easy for any of the Ivies, but hopefully the Green will enter conference play on the back of a win in Columbus, Ohio.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:00 pm I always like it when Ivy teams play against Big 10 teams, so I'm glad to see OSU added to the Green's schedule. Bryant is also a good OOC opponent. I don't think the conference schedule will be easy for any of the Ivies, but hopefully the Green will enter conference play on the back of a win in Columbus, Ohio.
I'd love to see the Big Green return from Columbus victorious (#oneIvy). This game is certainly ambitious scheduling. Best of luck to them.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

NE Lax Journal asses the Big Green's '22 schedule: https://www.laxjournal.com/schedule-stu ... ing-slate/ (subscription required).

Schedule Study: Dartmouth is back, with an interesting slate
By Kyle DevitteDecember 10, 2021

In this series, we evaluate the schedules of New England’s Division 1 men’s teams. The region is home to 16 programs, all in a fight to raise their national profile.

In this post, we’re taking a closer look at Dartmouth and breaking down how its return to the full league play meshes with their out-of-conference scheduling.

Last season, the Big Green were one of the few Ivy League teams that were able to play any games after league play was canceled. Those games were against D-3 Tufts and D-2 St. Anselm, but they were games — they happened — and were both welcome respites for a squad that was no doubt tired of training and playing against itself all year.

That being said, the Big Green split those contests and had an opportunity to learn a lot about themselves from the film. Those lessons will no doubt be applied to the 2022 squad, which will have its hands full with a challenging schedule, both in the Ivy League and outside of it.

Dartmouth will jump right into spring with two straight games against high-level NEC teams. The opening game at Scully-Fahey field will take place on Feb. 19 against Merrimack, followed the next week by a trip down to Rhode Island to face Bryant.

The following week, the Big Green will head to Siena to face a MAAC foe before returning to Hanover to face cross-state opponent Vermont.

The team’s biggest out-of-conference challenge will come when it faces Big Ten power Ohio State in Columbus, Ohio, on March 22. A Tuesday throwdown, it’s a great chance for Dartmouth to get on the national map with a win before it opens Ivy League play against Harvard the following Saturday.

After a home game against Cornell, and another one Tuesday against Stony Brook, it’s a full-on assault from, and on, the Ivies for the rest of the season. Yale at home on April 9 is a must-see game for anyone in the region. Dartmouth’s final regular-season home game against Penn on April 23 is also a huge matchup for the Big Green, who haven’t won a conference game since 2015.

Trips to Princeton and Brown are sandwiched in there as well, and will likely determine whether or not Dartmouth will make the Ivy League tournament for the first time since 2008.

However, with all of the chaos surrounding the return of all the Ivy League teams, there is a huge opening for Dartmouth to earn their way back into the win column. They were one of the only teams in the league to have the majority of their players on campus for 2021, and that shouldn’t be ignored. There is no league as unpredictable as the Ivies going into 2022, which makes it, potentially, the most exciting as well.

@TheKyleDevitte
[email protected]
Finish Strong
smoova

Post by smoova »

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

smoova wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:07 am Another interesting move: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... commitment
Always a bit disturbing when there's a last second shift (or seemingly last second). Early Decisions just came out, so unless totally coincidental, it would seem that this recruit didn't make it through admissions...and it would indeed be disturbing if that's not a quite predictable process for our recruits.

Of course, it may well be that some important known threshold performance wasn't achieved...it happens.

The good news for the recruit is that Tufts is a heck of a school and great program.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Dartmouth Athletics to Restrict Spectators at Competitions

HANOVER, N.H. — The Dartmouth Athletics Department is restricting spectators at its athletics events through Jan. 18, 2022, in response to the rise of COVID-19 in the broader community after consulting with the college’s COVID Leadership Group and campus leadership.

“Based on the changes in policy the college announced for the start of the winter term, we are making decisions with the best interests of our student-athletes and staff — as well as the broader community — in mind,” said Interim Director of Athletics and Recreation Peter Roby ’79. “We will continue to work closely with the COVID Leadership Group and campus leadership to understand how subsequent policy changes will affect our operations. We remain committed to preserving as many athletic opportunities as possible.”

The following changes will be effective immediately through Jan. 18 (or as long as campus restrictions are in place):

• Events will continue to be held as scheduled.
• Events will not be open to the general public.
• In venues that have been approved for spectators, a limited number of guests of the student-athletes and coaches will be allowed on a pass list. The exact number of guests will be determined by the venue, engineering review, occupancy limits and consultation with the College COVID team.
• Consistent with the campus visitor policy, guests (five years of age and older) will be required to show proof of full vaccination or negative COVID-19 PCR test result within 72 hours of the event before entry.

As a result, tickets for all paid events through Jan. 18, 2022, will be automatically refunded through the original method of payment and a receipt will be sent to the ticket holder via email before Dec. 31. The ticket office will have reduced hours during the weeks of Dec. 20 and 27, but a representative will return calls and emails daily. Regular business hours resume on Jan. 4, 2022 (Tuesday-Friday 10 a.m.-5 p.m.).
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

IL three-star ranked 2022 Hopper Zappitello (Boys' Latin, Crabs) committed to the Big Green on 12/28.
Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 9.34.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 9.34.47 AM.png (240.32 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
Finish Strong
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Sportin' Life wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:46 pm IL three-star ranked 2022 Hopper Zappitello (Boys' Latin, Crabs) committed to the Big Green on 12/28.

Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 9.34.47 AM.png
He is actually from Oregon. Believe he transferred to Boy’s Latain last year. His brother is playing at Maryland
Gorilla Fan

Tufts Scrimmage

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

It'll be interesting to see how a full-strength Big Green squad performs vs. Tufts.
Finish Strong
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

An interesting article in the Financial Times about Big Green financial aid. Worth a read.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

faircornell wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:38 am An interesting article in the Financial Times about Big Green financial aid. Worth a read.
Yes. Thanks.

https://www.ft.com/content/558427f6-a3b ... 424fe1d328

hmmm, I hope the College expands its undergraduate student body a bit... but 25% from abroad is a lot of slots.
Moving from 8% to 14% is significant in itself, but it's been understood that these have nearly all been full pay students.

Had an interesting discussion with some very involved Dartmouth alums a couple of weeks ago...serious questions about the long term implications on alumni giving rates, as foreign-born students, particularly those who return to their home countries, have had much lower alumni giving participation and impact per capita relative to US-born. Even more so the differential with legacy family giving participation and impact per capita.

Implications.

Playing devil's advocate, I made a counter-point that much the same argument had been used about women admissions back as those commitments were first happening. For multiple decades women alumni had much lower participation and impact...but that's changing fast, now, as a generation of early women are now in their prime giving years and are stepping up big-time. There's a critical mass of marvelously successful women who are challenging one another to step up. And they are doing so enthusiastically, en masse.

Perhaps the bet is that as the world gets "smaller", non-US born alumni will increasingly participate in supporting the College for future generations, especially as the critical mass of such build in each region/city abroad.

As a sports person, I hope we continue our commitments to the full diversity and complement of sports....some of the sports certainly include foreign-born potential, but we'll likely need an expansion of students overall. BTW, athlete alums are disproportionately strong financial supporters of the College as well.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

To the Dartmouth community,

It is my profound pleasure to announce today that Dartmouth is expanding its undergraduate need-blind admissions policy to include international students. This means that when Dartmouth’s Office of Admissions considers applicants from outside the United States, financial need will no longer be a factor in the decision-making process.

This historic change in our admissions policy makes Dartmouth one of only six U.S. colleges and universities to offer need-blind admissions to all undergraduate applicants and guarantee to meet 100% of all admitted students’ demonstrated financial need.

We’re able to make this change because hundreds of alumni, parents, and friends fervently believe, as I do, that U.S. and international applicants should be evaluated by the same standard and have committed $90 million in scholarship funds to the cause. This includes an exceptional and inspiring $40 million from an anonymous donor that we are announcing today—the largest single scholarship gift in Dartmouth history.

As I and every faculty and staff colleague can attest, our entire community benefits from a diverse student body. International students share perspectives and life experiences that deeply enrich classroom discussions and elevate teaching and learning across our campus.
For the individual students who come to Hanover from every corner of the globe, the power of financial aid can be life-changing. These are ambitious young adults ready to take on the world. They have the talent. They have the drive. And it is an honor for Dartmouth to be in a position to provide them with the means to realize their full potential.

I encourage you to take a few moments to read the full announcement and watch today’s Community Conversations, where I talk more about this historic change in our admissions policy and discuss its significance with some of the Dartmouth community members who helped make it happen.
It’s a thrill to see Dartmouth strengthening its core values and traditions through The Call to Lead campaign, while bolstering its ability to prepare graduates to lead with empathy, respect, confidence, and competence on the world stage. Thank you for playing a role in making that possible.

Sincerely,
Philip J. Hanlon ’77
President
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Welcome back, RRR, you've re-entered with a bang.

But your usual nutty, disjointed, agressiveness continues. Too bad.

Nope, not "collusion", just that there's an accusation that Dartmouth's increase in international students has been a way around the pledge to be need-blind. No longer would that contention be arguable.

A donor gave $40 million, as part of a $90 million fundraise for scholarships, to make this happen.

The good news is that whether the applicant is from the US or somewhere else, they will be evaluated on their merits alone, not their capability to pay.

Of course, that's also "bad news" for applicants who have had the advantage of being able to pay the full tuition.

EDIT...you withdrew your post...fine.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:20 am To the Dartmouth community,

It is my profound pleasure to announce today that Dartmouth is expanding its undergraduate need-blind admissions policy to include international students. This means that when Dartmouth’s Office of Admissions considers applicants from outside the United States, financial need will no longer be a factor in the decision-making process.

This historic change in our admissions policy makes Dartmouth one of only six U.S. colleges and universities to offer need-blind admissions to all undergraduate applicants and guarantee to meet 100% of all admitted students’ demonstrated financial need.

We’re able to make this change because hundreds of alumni, parents, and friends fervently believe, as I do, that U.S. and international applicants should be evaluated by the same standard and have committed $90 million in scholarship funds to the cause. This includes an exceptional and inspiring $40 million from an anonymous donor that we are announcing today—the largest single scholarship gift in Dartmouth history.

As I and every faculty and staff colleague can attest, our entire community benefits from a diverse student body. International students share perspectives and life experiences that deeply enrich classroom discussions and elevate teaching and learning across our campus.
For the individual students who come to Hanover from every corner of the globe, the power of financial aid can be life-changing. These are ambitious young adults ready to take on the world. They have the talent. They have the drive. And it is an honor for Dartmouth to be in a position to provide them with the means to realize their full potential.

I encourage you to take a few moments to read the full announcement and watch today’s Community Conversations, where I talk more about this historic change in our admissions policy and discuss its significance with some of the Dartmouth community members who helped make it happen.
It’s a thrill to see Dartmouth strengthening its core values and traditions through The Call to Lead campaign, while bolstering its ability to prepare graduates to lead with empathy, respect, confidence, and competence on the world stage. Thank you for playing a role in making that possible.

Sincerely,
Philip J. Hanlon ’77
President
Meanwhile
https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlieport ... 4dc15d10ce
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”