Dartmouth 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sidelinehorn!

Re: Dartmouth 2022

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

Certainly can't hurt...but they need W's if they are going to climb out of the Ivy basement...
Atticus

Post by Atticus »

The building helps recruiting, the recruiting helps the W’s, the building (in frigid Hanover) helps the W’s, then the W’s help the recruiting even more.

It’s a process of building momentum that we older fans have seen before (many times in the Ivies alone). The D Program seems stable despite a tough road and the pieces should be coming together. Hoping for the best!! GBG
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

Nice to see the Big Green attracting early interest in terms of '23 commitments. Poles David Sullivan (Roxbury Latin, Laxachusetts) and Mac O'Neill (Holderness, 3D) and attack Luke Meyer (Paul Schreiber SHS, Shore 2 Shore) are the first three in the class. Here https://www.laxjournal.com/recruiting-m ... dartmouth/ and below is a NE Lax Journal (subscription required) story about O'Neill.

COMMITS
Recruiting: Mac O’Neill of Holderness a tall order for Dartmouth
By Mike Zhe September 10, 2021

While recuperating from a broken leg suffered in a skiing accident when he was in the eighth grade, Mac O’Neill hit a growth spurt, climbing half a foot in a year on his way to his current 6-foot-6.

The Holderness School junior and 3D New England defender hit another milestone recently when he made his commitment to the admissions process at Dartmouth College, one of the region’s first members of the Class of 2023 to make his college plans, and certainly the tallest.

He was contacted practically at the stroke of midnight on Sept. 1 while at the Elite Eight showcase in Delaware, and matters moved swiftly from there.

“I got back to the hotel, the clock struck 12:01 and Coach (Matt) Dugan from Dartmouth was texting me,” said O’Neill (Marblehead, Mass.). “I called him. The next thing I knew I was on campus and I loved it.”

While O’Neill’s size is the first thing that stands out to the casual observer, there’s much more to his game. He’s fundamentally sound, physical and good off the ground, and his 3D coaches rave about his ability to back up shots by hustling to the end line and laying out.

“You think tall, you think slow foot speed, but he has both,” said Justin Simon, his coach at Holderness. “He’s now getting into his body, which is crazy to think about. His goal is to put on weight and get some more foot speed.”

At Holderness this past spring, O’Neill fought for playing time on a strong defensive unit led by standouts like Griffin O’Neil — a future Dartmouth teammate — UMass commit Russ Hutchinson and Alex Baber, who’ll play at VMI.

“What he was able to see and emulate and match on the field was huge,” said Simon. “We were really, really deep. We had like 14 poles and they could all play.”

A tight end — and outstanding target — on the Holderness football team, he’ll graduate into an even larger role these next two seasons on the lacrosse field, for a Holderness team that was the class of the Lakes Region last spring and should be every bit as formidable in 2022.

“I want to make a name for us, show every team what we are capable of doing,” said O’Neill.

He’ll eventually join a Dartmouth team coming off a largely lost year with the Ivy League cancelling play last spring. To the school’s credit (and to the credit of head coach Brendan Callahan), two scrimmages were lined up and are listed on the team’s website under 2021 results — a loss to Division 3 power Tufts and a win over Division 2 St. Anselm as the team sought opportunities to compete.

But first, O’Neill will keep growing into his role and growing into his frame.

“We’re excited,” said Simon. “He’s going to come into a huge role for us this year. His ceiling is not even close to being scratched right now.”

Six-foot-6 defenders with foot speed are a rarity in the sport, but O’Neill noted that one of the first lessons he learned came in the meeting room, not on the field..

“One thing I had to learn was that I had to sit a lot lower than anybody else,” he said.

@MikeZhe603
[email protected]
Finish Strong
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

Dartmouth introduces its freshman class: https://dartmouthsports.com/news/2021/9 ... eason.aspx.
Finish Strong
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Sportin' Life wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:18 am Nice to see the Big Green attracting early interest in terms of '23 commitments. Poles David Sullivan (Roxbury Latin, Laxachusetts) and Mac O'Neill (Holderness, 3D) and attack Luke Meyer (Paul Schreiber SHS, Shore 2 Shore) are the first three in the class. Here https://www.laxjournal.com/recruiting-m ... dartmouth/ and below is a NE Lax Journal (subscription required) story about O'Neill.

COMMITS
Recruiting: Mac O’Neill of Holderness a tall order for Dartmouth
By Mike Zhe September 10, 2021

While recuperating from a broken leg suffered in a skiing accident when he was in the eighth grade, Mac O’Neill hit a growth spurt, climbing half a foot in a year on his way to his current 6-foot-6.

The Holderness School junior and 3D New England defender hit another milestone recently when he made his commitment to the admissions process at Dartmouth College, one of the region’s first members of the Class of 2023 to make his college plans, and certainly the tallest.

He was contacted practically at the stroke of midnight on Sept. 1 while at the Elite Eight showcase in Delaware, and matters moved swiftly from there.

“I got back to the hotel, the clock struck 12:01 and Coach (Matt) Dugan from Dartmouth was texting me,” said O’Neill (Marblehead, Mass.). “I called him. The next thing I knew I was on campus and I loved it.”

While O’Neill’s size is the first thing that stands out to the casual observer, there’s much more to his game. He’s fundamentally sound, physical and good off the ground, and his 3D coaches rave about his ability to back up shots by hustling to the end line and laying out.

“You think tall, you think slow foot speed, but he has both,” said Justin Simon, his coach at Holderness. “He’s now getting into his body, which is crazy to think about. His goal is to put on weight and get some more foot speed.”

At Holderness this past spring, O’Neill fought for playing time on a strong defensive unit led by standouts like Griffin O’Neil — a future Dartmouth teammate — UMass commit Russ Hutchinson and Alex Baber, who’ll play at VMI.

“What he was able to see and emulate and match on the field was huge,” said Simon. “We were really, really deep. We had like 14 poles and they could all play.”

A tight end — and outstanding target — on the Holderness football team, he’ll graduate into an even larger role these next two seasons on the lacrosse field, for a Holderness team that was the class of the Lakes Region last spring and should be every bit as formidable in 2022.

“I want to make a name for us, show every team what we are capable of doing,” said O’Neill.

He’ll eventually join a Dartmouth team coming off a largely lost year with the Ivy League cancelling play last spring. To the school’s credit (and to the credit of head coach Brendan Callahan), two scrimmages were lined up and are listed on the team’s website under 2021 results — a loss to Division 3 power Tufts and a win over Division 2 St. Anselm as the team sought opportunities to compete.

But first, O’Neill will keep growing into his role and growing into his frame.

“We’re excited,” said Simon. “He’s going to come into a huge role for us this year. His ceiling is not even close to being scratched right now.”

Six-foot-6 defenders with foot speed are a rarity in the sport, but O’Neill noted that one of the first lessons he learned came in the meeting room, not on the field..

“One thing I had to learn was that I had to sit a lot lower than anybody else,” he said.

@MikeZhe603
[email protected]
Don’t know how good he is but there’s a 22 goalie who wants in from Holderness too named Trevor Fox for what it’s worth.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Sportin' Life wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:19 am Dartmouth introduces its freshman class: https://dartmouthsports.com/news/2021/9 ... eason.aspx.
On paper the first two look like prizes. The kid from my new(ish-ten years in Atlanta and it still feels like I’m visiting) hood and Centennial HS is interesting. Hope he does well.
See Martin, Malcolm
smoova

Post by smoova »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:42 am Don’t know how good he is but there’s a 22 goalie who wants in from Holderness too named Trevor Fox for what it’s worth.
I believe Trevor reclassed to 2023 when he transferred from South to Holderness. Very good goalie.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

smoova wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:03 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:42 am Don’t know how good he is but there’s a 22 goalie who wants in from Holderness too named Trevor Fox for what it’s worth.
I believe Trevor reclassed to 2023 when he transferred from South to Holderness. Very good goalie.
Ah my mistake. Know Coach R at Hobart had been talking to him but figure we will get Cody George’d with him and you’ll get another good one we are shooting for.
See Martin, Malcolm
smoova

Post by smoova »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:05 pm
Ah my mistake. Know Coach R at Hobart had been talking to him but figure we will get Cody George’d with him and you’ll get another good one we are shooting for.
I know Trevor's father was a keeper at Hobart, so you certainly have an inside track.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

smoova wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:00 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:05 pm
I know Trevor's father was a keeper at Hobart, so you certainly have an inside track.
If only you knew about how many alums kids we’ve lost over the past 15yrs...
See Martin, Malcolm
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Sportin' Life wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:19 am Dartmouth introduces its freshman class: https://dartmouthsports.com/news/2021/9 ... eason.aspx.
Some really interesting players in there! Great looking group.
Some really good skill sets and athleticism.

I'd be pulling my hair out as a coach with the tender; guess he could get away with the wild, aggressive stuff out of the goal in his league, but he'll find a more athletic bunch of guys in the Ivies who will punish that stuff. But love his competitive action!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:55 pm

I'd be pulling my hair out as a coach with the tender; guess he could get away with the wild, aggressive stuff out of the goal in his league, but he'll find a more athletic bunch of guys in the Ivies who will punish that stuff. But love his competitive action!
A fan of Brett Queener?
See Martin, Malcolm
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Fox is filthy, as the kids would say. If Dartmouth could lock him up they will have the heir to Hincks. Holderness is building a program that will be consistently among the top 35 in the country. Dartmouth would be wise to build a tight connection beyond just the ski team.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:07 pm

A fan of Brett Queener?
Not that it's impossible (Queener was indeed a phenom), but I saw a bunch of stuff on the highlight reel that I guarantee was just the successes against some less athletic kids versus the failures that didn't make the tape, assuming he faced better opponents at times. Some really crazy, wild stuff...I do like the intensity I saw, so pull the decision processes in a notch and those talents he does have could be a lot of fun to watch.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:37 pm

A fan of Brett Queener?
Not that it's impossible (Queener was indeed a phenom), but I saw a bunch of stuff on the highlight reel that I guarantee was just the successes against some less athletic kids versus the failures that didn't make the tape, assuming he faced better opponents at times. Some really crazy, wild stuff...I do like the intensity I saw, so pull the decision processes in a notch and those talents he does have could be a lot of fun to watch.
Same story with a kid we had from Pingree names CJ White who just graduated.

If I recall correctly didn’t Queener get tossed from PSU for fighting before he landed at Albany?
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:45 pm
Fox is filthy, as the kids would say. If Dartmouth could lock him up they will have the heir to Hincks. Holderness is building a program that will be consistently among the top 35 in the country. Dartmouth would be wise to build a tight connection beyond just the ski team.
I’m 43 and LOVE the term filthy. Though I use it for hot women more than sports. These days I like scratch and dent women too...
See Martin, Malcolm
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:42 pm

A fan of Brett Queener?

If I recall correctly didn’t Queener get tossed from PSU for fighting before he landed at Albany?
I don't recall on that, only popped up on my radar when he started doing flips in the air...my dad was explosive out of the goal, little guy fast as heck, would take off down the field, draw and dump to middie or attackman....but it's a long, long way back to the net if you lose the ball...some of the situations on the reel, the tender was 3/4 of the way to the midline, simply pursuing a scrum ground ball...get your butt back in the net, youngster (unless your team is down and a play is needed to turn things around down the back stretch). But the aggressive competitiveness is great...just time and place, please.

For instance, down a goal with 20 seconds left, in the finals of a summer all-star tournament came, scramble press ride after shot, long pass to 'open' attack man...my son recognized situation came out and knocked the kid off the ball, picked it up, sprinted 20 yds and whipped a long, straight pass to Ryan Brown who sprinted to the goal mouth through 3 defenders and stuffed it past goalie for the tie...then won the game.

Brown was "filthy" ;) that tournament, no surprise to me that he developed into such a force in college.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:33 am

A fan of Brett Queener?

I don't recall on that, only popped up on my radar when he started doing flips in the air...my dad was explosive out of the goal, little guy fast as heck, would take off down the field, draw and dump to middie or attackman....but it's a long, long way back to the net if you lose the ball...some of the situations on the reel, the tender was 3/4 of the way to the midline, simply pursuing a scrum ground ball...get your butt back in the net, youngster (unless your team is down and a play is needed to turn things around down the back stretch). But the aggressive competitiveness is great...just time and place, please.

For instance, down a goal with 20 seconds left, in the finals of a summer all-star tournament came, scramble press ride after shot, long pass to 'open' attack man...my son recognized situation came out and knocked the kid off the ball, picked it up, sprinted 20 yds and whipped a long, straight pass to Ryan Brown who sprinted to the goal mouth through 3 defenders and stuffed it past goalie for the tie...then won the game.

Brown was "filthy" ;) that tournament, no surprise to me that he developed into such a force in college.
Instead of just bombing away? Would have liked to see more of that.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:46 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:33 am

A fan of Brett Queener?

Instead of just bombing away? Would have liked to see more of that.
Ryan had a very deceptive release, shot looked very much the same, hidden stick head, overhand, but is it going low, high, what? I'd have had him bomb away too, but I also thought he had an athleticism, even at that point as a rising senior that was clearly underrated. He was the assumed "third" attack man on his high school team. Then he grew some more. Was pleased to see him blossom in college.

He had a .59% SOG and 31% shooting...keep shooting!
But I agree, get to the goal if one can...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:45 pm
Looks like Fox actually committed to Bart. Maybe (I hope not) flip to Dartmouth but closing the loop on this here.
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”