Future of College Lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Future of College Lacrosse

Post by Wheels »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:13 am
Wheels wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:31 pm Football and basketball break off as a separate athletic entity. All remaining sports remain with the NCAA.
Who will pay for all the remaining NCAA sports? The college basketball tournament pays for a good chunk of them now.
My guess? The same as it is now. Athletic departments will still oversee all of the sports.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Wheels wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:39 pm
Wheels wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:31 pm Football and basketball break off as a separate athletic entity. All remaining sports remain with the NCAA.
Who will pay for all the remaining NCAA sports? The college basketball tournament pays for a good chunk of them now.
My guess? The same as it is now. Athletic departments will still oversee all of the sports.
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/4836629001

“Counter to what most might think, the money does not come from football’s marquee championship, the College Football Playoff (CFP). These national costs are borne by the NCAA through its primary revenue source — the basketball championships.

Unlike its basketball counterpart, the CFP national championship for teams in the big-time Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) is managed independent of the NCAA. Odd as it may sound, the NCAA actually receives no money from big-revenue football.

You read that correctly: zero. The championship experiences of the 57,000 football athletes competing in divisions other than big-time FBS football only exist because the men’s and women’s basketball tournaments pay for them.

The NCAA justly uses revenue from the basketball tournaments to support its mission for the collective good of college sports, providing national services and 90 championship events in three competitive divisions, impacting more than 500,000 college athletes.”

So when power 5 basketball breaks away, those athletic departments will have a big hole to fill.

https://www.bestcolleges.com/blog/do-co ... ake-money/
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:22 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:40 pm
OSVAlacrosse wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:24 pm https://www.npr.org/2021/06/21/10003100 ... row-ruling

In a blistering concurring opinion, Justice Brett Kavanaugh added that the sports traditions near and dear to alumni and others "cannot justify the NCAA's decision to build a massive money-raising enterprise on the backs of student athletes who are not fairly compensated. Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate," he said, adding: "The NCAA is not above the law."
You missed the first few pages of discussion on this topic. We went over this ground, if you're interested to have a look.
OSVAlacrosse wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:28 pm I have never stated that the school would be paying athletes. Instead, they can now be paid by Nike or ESPN.
No. You just implied that they would when you said "that doesn't recruit". ESPN can't recruit players. Nor can Nike.

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:28 pm How would title IX mandate ESPN to pay a soft ball pitcher the same as a QB?
The law, as I understand it, wouldn't.

But politicians are fickle creatures. And the Federal Government has every single one of these "power" schools by the shorts.

I'm with you on this line of thinking, because it's where I started in evaluated this new landscape. But the politics of doing what you are suggesting are complicated.

Financially? Alabama could do without Football. They couldn't survive without Federal money. The whole thing is a mess.
Everyone glosses over this:

https://www.sportico.com/law/analysis/2 ... 234632592/

Kessler could have lost the case if he asked for more. Remember, only Justice Kavanaugh is a sure bet to support the broader dismantling of amateurism. During the oral argument, several other justices notably expressed trepidation about using antitrust litigation to force athletics-related reforms. Justice Breyer opined that he “worried about judges getting into the business of amateur sports” while Chief Justice John Roberts warned of the game of Jenga, where “all of a sudden the whole thing comes crashing down.”
and for the record, all that's happened so far is texas and oklahoma have been invited into the sec.
and not a small thing, espn has locked into 2030 something.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:56 pm
OSVAlacrosse wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:24 pm https://www.npr.org/2021/06/21/10003100 ... row-ruling

In a blistering concurring opinion, Justice Brett Kavanaugh added that the sports traditions near and dear to alumni and others "cannot justify the NCAA's decision to build a massive money-raising enterprise on the backs of student athletes who are not fairly compensated. Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate," he said, adding: "The NCAA is not above the law."
You missed the first few pages of discussion on this topic. We went over this ground, if you're interested to have a look.
OSVAlacrosse wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:28 pm I have never stated that the school would be paying athletes. Instead, they can now be paid by Nike or ESPN.
No. You just implied that they would when you said "that doesn't recruit". ESPN can't recruit players. Nor can Nike.

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:28 pm How would title IX mandate ESPN to pay a soft ball pitcher the same as a QB?

But politicians are fickle creatures. And the Federal Government has every single one of these "power" schools by the shorts.

I'm with you on this line of thinking, because it's where I started in evaluated this new landscape. But the politics of doing what you are suggesting are complicated.

Financially? Alabama could do without Football. They couldn't survive without Federal money. The whole thing is a mess.

Kessler could have lost the case if he asked for more. Remember, only Justice Kavanaugh is a sure bet to support the broader dismantling of amateurism. During the oral argument, several other justices notably expressed trepidation about using antitrust litigation to force athletics-related reforms. Justice Breyer opined that he “worried about judges getting into the business of amateur sports” while Chief Justice John Roberts warned of the game of Jenga, where “all of a sudden the whole thing comes crashing down.”
and for the record, all that's happened so far is texas and oklahoma have been invited into the sec.
I believe some Big Ten schools have also been targeted.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... vey-shows/
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:49 pm

“Counter to what most might think, the money does not come from football’s marquee championship, the College Football Playoff (CFP). These national costs are borne by the NCAA through its primary revenue source — the basketball championships.

Unlike its basketball counterpart, the CFP national championship for teams in the big-time Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) is managed independent of the NCAA. Odd as it may sound, the NCAA actually receives no money from big-revenue football.

You read that correctly: zero. The championship experiences of the 57,000 football athletes competing in divisions other than big-time FBS football only exist because the men’s and women’s basketball tournaments pay for them.

The NCAA justly uses revenue from the basketball tournaments to support its mission for the collective good of college sports, providing national services and 90 championship events in three competitive divisions, impacting more than 500,000 college athletes.”

So when power 5 basketball breaks away, those athletic departments will have a big hole to fill.

And this is where Title 9 provides a check on a separate entity for football/basketball and the non-revs.

Athletic departments fund scholarships for athletes. They pay the university. Just like now, the overall athletic support (i.e., scholarships) offered to athletes must match the overall university's gender ratio. The real reason football and basketball will split off has nothing to do with money. They're already maximizing their money. It has everything to do with P5 schools wanting their own set of rules. Power and money...money and power.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:58 pm

not saying they haven't. the p5 have done this twice before and got concessions. maybe they go their own way now.
everybody talks like the nc$$ is some overiding oligarchy they have to leave. the nc$$ is a collection of school ad's and presidents. a p5 one will just be a smaller one.
Typical Lax Dad

Wheels wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:21 pm

And this is where Title 9 provides a check on a separate entity for football/basketball and the non-revs.

Athletic departments fund scholarships for athletes. They pay the university. Just like now, the overall athletic support (i.e., scholarships) offered to athletes must match the overall university's gender ratio. The real reason football and basketball will split off has nothing to do with money. They're already maximizing their money. It has everything to do with P5 schools wanting their own set of rules. Power and money...money and power.
Did I say they are doing it for money? I said what’s going to happen to schools that may not get a distribution.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:49 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:58 pm

not saying they haven't. the p5 have done this twice before and got concessions. maybe they go their own way now.
everybody talks like the nc$$ is some overiding oligarchy they have to leave. the nc$$ is a collection of school ad's and presidents. a p5 one will just be a smaller one.
Yes. It will be interesting to see who is all in if the model is professional sports.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

this is the dumbest article ever written. in the history of dumb articles. that's saying something.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:00 pm

this is the dumbest article ever written. in the history of dumb articles. that's saying something.
Which one? Anyone can blog.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:02 pm

ok, both are ridiculous.
i was talking about the first.

but i'm also all in on folks talking about how sports don't make money in general. i wish saban did a tour of his lake house.

so if microsoft did $600 billion in revenue in 2035 and decided to spend dough on women and song and then blow the rest, they weren't making money? lol!!!
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:17 pm

ok, both are ridiculous.

but i'm also all in on folks talking about how sports don't make money in general. i wish saban did a tour of his lake house.

so if microsoft did $600 billion in revenue in 2035 and decided to spend dough on women and song and then blow the rest, they weren't making money? lol!!!
Yes! With a straight face….There is no profit left.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:17 pm

ok, both are ridiculous.

Sure but how are they allocated expenses, financial statements are supposed to reflect reality so there should be fully lock stock allocated expenses across the board including some licensing fee for brand, rental expense (even if we’re talking internal books or shadow allocation but it would be closer to gaap that way) for facilities, etc. there’s probably a few that make money but I suspect if fully accounted for properly I bet it’s no more than 15, probably 10 or less. But I am certain that higher Ed financial statements and accounting are a improper joke with no accountability so we can’t say for sure anyone makes a profit year to year or if 50 programs do. I would submit that any residual cash flow sent to the university at a min is fair compensation for the use the the brand and facilities probably not enough I bet though. It’s not unreasonable. Catching up w the president of the Fox school of business at Temple last winter he told me they make serious dough but it finds the rest of the university including their nice new library (which I imagine the b school kids use some). Colleges treat “profitable” units like as much fund no different than the NY Thruway system which was supposed to go away once it was paid for but instead cash flow is a piggy bank for state politicians while basic R&M doesn’t get covered often or even set aside from the net revenue transfers the state takes.

We will find out if the value is in the players or the laundry next few years. Suspect initially players will get grossly overcompensated externally beyond any reasonable ROI and then they’ll revisit strategies for it to make sense longer term come end of this decade.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The assumption the next tv deal will be higher is not something that should be baked into planning and would be a strategic failure of management to do so
See Martin, Malcolm
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

the news a few weeks ago with texas doesn't seem to really directly affect college lacrosse as it primarily deals w/the SEC/big 12/pac 12 and aac potentially. The only thing I've really learned/gleamed from the stories that could affect college lacrosse is that the acc apparently has the worst tv deal known to mankind w/espn because it doesn't end until 2036 and the big ten is about to get paid big $$$ because its tv contract ends in 2 years.
ggait

Post by ggait »

In hindsight, the P5 schools fatal mistake was not spending their energy to antitrust collude to suppress the salaries of coaches. Instead of colluding to suppress player compensation.

If Saban and and Coach K made something between what an English prof and the university prez make, the system never would have been challenged and you never would have demands to pay players. And the schools would have been able to keep all the revenue and could pay for whatever else they wanted -- womens XC team, new dorms, a new library, whatever.

But once you let those guys make $8-9 million a year, that single fact renders the entire system untenable. No matter how much money you pour into non-revenue sports as the fig leaf justification, the system still is exploitive and unfair (in addition to illegal). Unrestricted full market shameless commerce for the coaches is fundamentally inconsistent with all claims of academic amateurism for student athletes.

The college position to those guys should have been: we'll miss you; best of luck coaching the Dolphins/Lakers. There would have been unlimited HQ candidates willing to replace them for mid six figures, plus some NIL, camps, etc. on the side. But once you pay one guy 7 figures....Katy bar the door.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

ggait wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:46 pm

In hindsight, the P5 schools fatal mistake was not spending their energy to antitrust collude to suppress the salaries of coaches. Instead of colluding to suppress player compensation.

If Saban and and Coach K made something between what an English prof and the university prez make, the system never would have been challenged and you never would have demands to pay players. And the schools would have been able to keep all the revenue and could pay for whatever else they wanted -- womens XC team, new dorms, a new library, whatever.

But once you let those guys make $8-9 million a year, that single fact renders the entire system untenable. No matter how much money you pour into non-revenue sports as the fig leaf justification, the system still is exploitive and unfair (in addition to illegal). Unrestricted full market shameless commerce for the coaches is fundamentally inconsistent with all claims of academic amateurism for student athletes.

The college position to those guys should have been: we'll miss you; best of luck coaching the Dolphins/Lakers. There would have been unlimited HQ candidates willing to replace them for mid six figures, plus some NIL, camps, etc. on the side. But once you pay one guy 7 figures....Katy bar the door.
+1.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Sounds like the same type of mentality many civil service go employees carry. Want the benefits of those positions but the upside of the private sector.
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”