NEC 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Nobody

NEC 2022

Post by Nobody »

Opening this thread very early.

What are your predictions?
Same 4 teams on top (Bryant, St. Joe’s, Hobart, LIU) or does MSM or Merrimack crash the party?

I thought MSM was a better team this year than their record indicated and Merrimack played the top teams close.

Any positive news for SHU or Wagner?
Farfromgeneva

Re: NEC 2022

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Same as always I’d expect with LIU (who faded back end of season and doesn’t have great depth) and MSM fighting for the 4th spot. I like LIU because they have an elite offensive player and goalie if lacking the team depth vs MSM. The other three? Just hope they can elevate their game a bit to improve everyone in the conference.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

Merrimack could be competing in that 4th spot. Well, kinda. They're in Year 3 of that 4-year transition period so even if they finish top 4 they won't have a chance to compete in the NEC or NCAA tournaments.
118:24 #HHH
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Could be. I see now MSM loses 5/6 top scorers plus sr goalie (furnback). Rooney’s make all the difference in the world because they’ll have to replace Sean Black and Thomas at attack but should be strong at midfield. They look like LIU to me with respect to depth at end of season though as LIU is really two schools mashed together including a historically strong CW Post in D2.
See Martin, Malcolm
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I wasn’t sure what teams were actually losing for personnel as I think some teams were using grad year and others eligibility year when listing players on the roster as a FR, SO, JR, or SR. So if a player is listed as a SR on the roster they may be in their 5th year or have one more year of eligibility depending on how the team approached.

Is that right or have they standardized?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I suppose all will have a few come back but we’re talking about basically private schools with limited and not high prestige graduate programs so I don’t assume too much and treat it like a “regular” year.
See Martin, Malcolm
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Bryant
St Joe’s
Hobart
Heavy favorites to make conference tournament
MSM loses a massive amount of production
LIU v Merrimack for 4th place
Merrimack is physically over matched against the top 3. Skilled lacrosse players for sure but will get beaten up in a full season imo
LIU has a big time producer in Lacalandra and Mark is solid in goal. Would bet on them being the 4th.

SH/Wagner will struggle
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wagner has added two interesting players from the portal. Cassidy should make a meaningful impact. Was pretty good in 2019&2021 for SBU. This redshirt Soph middie from Hofstra is interesting. Ben Stewart. Good size, Canadians are always intriguing and was seemingly productive at a high level in HS but no idea as he hasn’t played in college. If he’s solid and they get two good starters that could put them in the mix for that 4th spot
See Martin, Malcolm
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:35 pm Wagner has added two interesting players from the portal. Cassidy should make a meaningful impact. Was pretty good in 2019&2021 for SBU. This redshirt Soph middie from Hofstra is interesting. Ben Stewart. Good size, Canadians are always intriguing and was seemingly productive at a high level in HS but no idea as he hasn’t played in college. If he’s solid and they get two good starters that could put them in the mix for that 4th spot
Stewart was on the team in 2021.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Tdemling6 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:08 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:35 pm Wagner has added two interesting players from the portal. Cassidy should make a meaningful impact. Was pretty good in 2019&2021 for SBU. This redshirt Soph middie from Hofstra is interesting. Ben Stewart. Good size, Canadians are always intriguing and was seemingly productive at a high level in HS but no idea as he hasn’t played in college. If he’s solid and they get two good starters that could put them in the mix for that 4th spot
Stewart was on the team in 2021.
Ah well not always the case that a kid doesn’t get buried but less intrigue if he didn’t crack PT much I suppose. Still for Wagner this is a meaningful haul I think compared with how poor they’ve fared over the years including their prior coach stepping down to take the HC gig at D3 Montclair St. Not like Dirrygl, Haus, Stagnitta or Nelson who have been rejected at the D1 level and a signal of institutional support at wags for lacrosse.
See Martin, Malcolm
skillzthatkillz

Post by skillzthatkillz »

How bad is Sacred Heart? Two wins in two years. What happened over there?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

skillzthatkillz wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:15 pm How bad is Sacred Heart? Two wins in two years. What happened over there?
That was a big get when Saggese transferred from Drexel.
It definitely surprised me as I saw Saggese as a four year starter at DU, but evidently that wasn’t what the coaches were thinking.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:31 pm
skillzthatkillz wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:15 pm How bad is Sacred Heart? Two wins in two years. What happened over there?
It definitely surprised me as I saw Saggese as a four year starter at DU, but evidently that wasn’t what the coaches were thinking.
I think SHU found a under the radar guy in Miccio. He dropped 4 on the Statesmen. Every team goes through tough phases.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Transfers——
Mitch Lachman Freshman Attack Bryant
Must have transferred.
Not on Bryant roster.

I thought Lachman was a good one for someone to take
a flyer on.
Good size, good skills, good coaching (Frank Urso),
4 years eligibility.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:05 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:31 pm
I think SHU found a under the radar guy in Miccio. He dropped 4 on the Statesmen. Every team goes through tough phases.
Even w Saggese and Tuttle, who were together and unique talents in SHU lacrosse history, they got to a soft 9-6 record 2x and two losing seasons with them and at best 1-2 1st rd exits. That may be a peak like Siena under Brecht or Gate w Peter Baum.
See Martin, Malcolm
NELax

Post by NELax »

Merrimack has brought Peter Burke - former Holy Cross head coach on as an assistant coach.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Saint Joe’s gets a 2023 commit,

Aidan Kreydt
Saint Joseph's
Verified
Springfield High School (PA)
Class of 2023 - Midfield
6-2 | 175lbs
Right Hand
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hobart got their first 23 - Jackson Faiola, G, Canandaigua
See Martin, Malcolm
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Correct me if I am wrong. But is it true that the only CURRENT NEC programs who have won the conference tournament Bryant and Hobart? Any predictions as to who the next first-time winner will be?
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

St. Joe's has been knocking on the door more often than not. LIU has some really nice players. So, they're my guess. Though Bryant is the front runner for the 2022 title as they bring almost everyone back.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”