Virginia Lacrosse 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Virginia Lacrosse 2022

Post by Farfromgeneva »

molo wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:28 pm Who got on this thread and then said, “Fly this plane to Cuba”? One might think that a thread with this title would be about the defending—and looking to three peat—NC.
I really did like those 2016 Brown and UNC teams. Pontrello was a middie until that year, when he took over at X with Cloutier on the left and Goldstock, the tall New Englander, bringing the right high heat. The Heels, with the lefty FOGO Kelly that year, set the break up lefty.
Fun fact: Pat Kelly, the natural attackman who played middie that year, was van anomaly for a Calvert Hall Kelly. He was right handed, rare for that crew .
By the end of the second Star Wars it was more interesting to discuss Landos Betrayal, Chewy, the Ewoks and whether Hans and Princess Leia would get it in as Brother and Sister than talking more about Darth Vader and the Death Star….
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
molo

Post by molo »

I’ll take your word for it, never having seen any of the Star Wars movies.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Pretty tough to three-peat, but the Hoos look like they'll be talented enough.
molo

Post by molo »

Agreed, I’d have them anywhere from 1 to 4 preseason in a group of Maryland and the top three of the ACC.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

BigTom5 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:30 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:17 pm
Again, which of those top 100 would you say way outperformed Dwyer and Duvnjak, that you'd rather have had on your team?
Off the top of my head: Class, Pontrello, Frocarro, Brown, Bellestri, Jack Kelly, Blaze, Telesco, Landis, Matt Dunn, Ambler… could probably find a handful more if did a deeper dive.
All good players….You would have to evaluate Dwyer against other offensive players. Hard to argue that Ambler has a greater college career. Ambler had a better career than a lot of guys listed ahead of him but hard to say he had a better career than Mathies or Dwyer. Hard to argue that Bellistri had a “better” career. More team success, absolutely. Put Dwyer on that Brown team and they win the title.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I’m convinced that the people talking about Dwyer never saw him play. He was an old school QB who made everyone around him better. Super quick and unselfish. Reminded me of Connor Gill from Virginia. Could score at will but always looked to draw a slide and dump inside for a layup. Terrific player. Definitely at the top of that recruiting class.

Duvnjak was awesome at Manhasset and Harvard. Didn’t stay healthy for four years but was definitely all American talent. Again, nobody saw him play to fairly evaluate him.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

molo wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:28 pm Who got on this thread and then said, “Fly this plane to Cuba”? One might think that a thread with this title would be about the defending—and looking to three peat—NC.
I really did like those 2016 Brown and UNC teams. Pontrello was a middie until that year, when he took over at X with Cloutier on the left and Goldstock, the tall New Englander, bringing the right high heat. The Heels, with the lefty FOGO Kelly that year, set the break up lefty.
Fun fact: Pat Kelly, the natural attackman who played middie that year, was van anomaly for a Calvert Hall Kelly. He was right handed, rare for that crew .
I believe Patrick was a lefty, at least that's the attack position he played at Calvert Hall and on the same club team he and my son played for; never saw him play on the right side. That said, he had an excellent stick, so may have given the impression that he was as strong with the right hand.

But you're right, Cuba!
Back to the Hoos!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Has the UVA schedule dropped?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

Henpecked wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:41 pm I’m convinced that the people talking about Dwyer never saw him play. He was an old school QB who made everyone around him better. Super quick and unselfish. Reminded me of Connor Gill from Virginia. Could score at will but always looked to draw a slide and dump inside for a layup. Terrific player. Definitely at the top of that recruiting class.

Duvnjak was awesome at Manhasset and Harvard. Didn’t stay healthy for four years but was definitely all American talent. Again, nobody saw him play to fairly evaluate him.
Correct on both players...watched them both play over a dozen times and would be household names if not at Harvard...
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

Forget it, molo. It's the UVa thread. Everything about Laxpower has moved over here.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cWnubJ9CEw
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:35 am Has the UVA schedule dropped?
Not yet.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Sidelinehorn! wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:51 am
Henpecked wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:41 pm I’m convinced that the people talking about Dwyer never saw him play. He was an old school QB who made everyone around him better. Super quick and unselfish. Reminded me of Connor Gill from Virginia. Could score at will but always looked to draw a slide and dump inside for a layup. Terrific player. Definitely at the top of that recruiting class.

Correct on both players...watched them both play over a dozen times and would be household names if not at Harvard...
Maybe I'm not "biased"? :D ;)
dek

Post by dek »

HowieT3 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:47 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:35 am Has the UVA schedule dropped?
Not yet.
Usually comes out in early Dec iirc. Hop announced they’re playing UVA this season, and Hoos will play the Terps at UMD or in the DC area.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:33 am The top 25. I like to look at which players were among the top 25 seniors in college as a barometer and which players outperformed their ranking relative to the others......

1. Case Matheis A Darien (Conn.) Duke - BUST
100. T.J. Sanders A Millbrook (N.Y.) Penn State - Hit

Yeah 30% seems fair. Although that top 10 is brutal and this not a very star studded class.
Posted by TLax1 on Twitter:

Very interesting when you look at it by area. Long Island dominates the list and almost half were a bust. MD was next and 2/3rds were a bust. Mass and Conn had all busts. Upstate NY fared the best. Can’t believe only 1 Canadian on list and of course was a hit.

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:05 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:33 am The top 25. I like to look at which players were among the top 25 seniors in college as a barometer and which players outperformed their ranking relative to the others......

Yeah 30% seems fair. Although that top 10 is brutal and this not a very star studded class.

Very interesting when you look at it by area. Long Island dominates the list and almost half were a bust. MD was next and 2/3rds were a bust. Mass and Conn had all busts. Upstate NY fared the best. Can’t believe only 1 Canadian on list and of course was a hit.

Straight...common...sense

CNY says WHATs UP!
See Martin, Malcolm
lorin

Post by lorin »

How many AA playing D1 right now that where not even ranked in top 100, list is a joke.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Wait, where is this? And didn't we all figure that quite a lot more than 30% were hits or booms?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

This is the same list with their All-American status their senior year: 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team or Honorable Mention. Player's actual rankings aside, you get to name 100 incoming freshman and you pick 3 First Team AAs, 3 Second Team AAs, 5 Third Team AAs, and 8 Honorable Mentions. Keep in mind, there are 16 First Team AAs, 18 Second Team AAs, etc. There are a LOT of AAs. And, of the 100 listed, 19 make an AA team. I dunno...

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

ohmilax34 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:40 am Wait, where is this? And didn't we all figure that quite a lot more than 30% were hits or booms?
https://twitter.com/T_Lax_1/status/1460036342847520775
Caddy Day
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:01 am This is the same list with their All-American status their senior year: 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team or Honorable Mention. Player's actual rankings aside, you get to name 100 incoming freshman and you pick 3 First Team AAs, 3 Second Team AAs, 5 Third Team AAs, and 8 Honorable Mentions. Keep in mind, there are 16 First Team AAs, 18 Second Team AAs, etc. There are a LOT of AAs. And, of the 100 listed, 19 make an AA team. I dunno...

On an individual level I think the most interesting is Spencer Parks. Neither would seem to have performed to their ranking or a super high level, but not sure either could be called busts either.

Parks had 79pts in two seasons (36 games) and was over 30% career, well over in 2016 when he had 48pts. But at #7 you'd expect AA even from a non "glory" program given Towson had a very fine season and made the quarters that year (blasted the 'ish out of Hobart in our play in game then beat Denver,lost by 1 to Loyola in QF game).

He had more pts than James Pannell, who was classified as a hit or boom I believe as a Sr.
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”