Syracuse 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
sholokov2

Re: Syracuse 2022

Post by sholokov2 »

DMac wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:55 pm
HopFan16 wrote
Over the top like calling your current defensive coordinator too fat to be a role model to recruits? Or making fun of Asian-Americans? Who was the Cuse fan who referred to Scanlan's accuser, a player on the women's team, as "little girl"? That was all you, right? Or do I have the wrong Cuse guy?

*I'M* not looking for perfection. Cuse fans are unhappy about the current state of things. That is a fact. Read the Cuse boards. People were making big, bold statements following the season. Not just about Desko.

Lol, talk about dishing it out? The Hop thread is full of this kind of criticism every day from people outside the program. If what I'm doing is trolling then Cuse fans are guilty of much worse.
Oh please, how 'bout you stop with the diversion and millennial sensitivities (gotta love those sound bites taken out of context...Petro lost how much weight?).
The subject you were on is Cuse's attractiveness, more accurately unattractiveness, to recruits which is nonsense over the top garbage.
No answers to my questions yet, gotta guess you've never experienced the Dome, really should give it a shot.
Pack a lunch though cuz there's no social life or places to eat here.
You should be helping your page count.
DMac - I'm not sure what HopFan16 is doing in his posts except trying to rile you up. Maybe ignoring him would help.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, I'm good with that.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:03 pm Sounds like the greatest place ever. If that's all true how do you explain Cuse recruiting a step behind its ACC rivals the past several years?

- The tradition isn't a huge selling point anymore. It really isn't. Same goes for Hopkins. Talk to these kids. They don't really care. They want to play for teams that have won recently. If they're choosing between Cuse and NJIT then sure, the history/tradition will matter a lot. But they're choosing between Cuse and UVA. Cuse and Cornell. Cuse and Hopkins. These teams have winning legacies too.

- Is the new indoor training facility lacrosse only, or do they share with other sports? Most other big schools have similar facilities already. That's not a major leg up on the competition.

- Location: not a plus. Social life? Again, how is that any different from the majority of ACC or Big Ten schools? I went to a party at Penn State once. Never again.

- Academics—I didn't say it was a backwater institution. It's a good school. But at that price point (more expensive than many of its competitors) it becomes less appealing. Newhouse is a plus. How many Cuse players are Newhouse students? I'm genuinely interested to know. They should push that harder. It's a differentiator for kids interested in getting into media. Jonathan Donville apparently is one of those kinds of kids—why didn't he end up at Cuse instead of UMD?

- Spallina is undoubtedly an enormous get for the program but if you're relying on one player and his family to do a lot of the recruiting for you then he better back it up during his four years there otherwise that bump won't last long

Point is: Cuse is a solid school with a great legacy and a commitment to lacrosse. No doubting that. It's a more attractive destination than 90% of schools for a lacrosse player. But that other 10%? More cons than pros when you make the comparisons. Remember, these kids have to want to *go to school* at these places. It's not just about lacrosse. I think the majority of kids would rather *go to school* at UVA or UNC or Duke. If you get injured and can't play anymore, you still have to be a student at that school.
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe we can cut down on the snide remarks? I do my share of it, but I enjoy these conversations and think they're more productive when we are polite to each other. Call me old school!

Why is Syracuse falling behind its rivals? Probably for a lot of the same reasons you pointed out. But they have tried to address this, two years ago they brought in Pat March, and I'd say they've been pretty competitive since he took over the main recruiting responsibilities. They flipped the number 2 recruit in the class of '20 in Owen Hiltz, and then put together a sure fire top 5 class with the number one recruit in the country along with two other five stars for '22. Will be interesting to see what '23 brings, but I think they'll bring in another strong class. Petro brought in top five classes at Hopkins and I think Gait will make for a good recruiter. We shall see.

I haven't seen you address the kids who can't get into the Hopkins/Ivy's of the world. Not all of the things you value in a school will be the same things as another person - especially a high school kid. The things that attracted me as a high school senior to a university make no sense to me as an adult now. Maybe you never felt that way, but I am sure I am not the only one. Because you are a Hopkins fan, I think you are overselling the academic side of things. It makes sense, I don't begrudge. In conference, yes it gives them a leg up, but they aren't only just competing against Big 10 schools are they? Furthermore, haven't they lost some recent recruits to "lesser" academic institutions? Didn't two kids flip to Penn State after Petro left? A few notable players have left for Syracuse (and of course vise-versa), Shellenberger flipped to UVA. What does that say?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cuse-Va on ACCN if you're interested and didn't know.
Va up 5-4, end of 1. Stay tuned.
CC10

Post by CC10 »

Re-watched the GT vs Cuse game, for me I lost respect for Desko after #16 mouthed off to the ref which put them down 2 men in the 4th and essentially iced the game for Gtown. And then Desko put him back in the game only for #16 gets to cheap shot a guy from behind for another penalty and he is a Captain? Good to see Cuse turn the page with new leadership.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Heard from an SU friend that John Zulberti passed. No more details and unconfirmed.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
HomerCoach

Post by HomerCoach »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:40 am Heard from an SU friend that John Zulberti passed. No more details and unconfirmed.
Oh no, RIP
longboard315

Post by longboard315 »

Word is they found him at the bottom of a pool; drowned. This is incredibly sad.
molo

Post by molo »

Sad news. Always enjoyed watching him play. Banks said he drowned but offered no details. This old lifeguard always laments a drowning.
DMac

Post by DMac »

a fan

Post by a fan »

Horrible.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:29 pm
Horrible.
Way too young. Very sad news.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Knew Johnny Z for 40 years; opponents in college; teammates in Placid, always a friend. Z lived life his way and was loved/revered by all. RIP Z, no one will ever rock the canvas Cons like him!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

FMUBart wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:20 am Knew Johnny Z for 40 years; opponents in college; teammates in Placid, always a friend. Z lived life his way and was loved/revered by all. RIP Z, no one will ever rock the canvas Cons like him!
Amen to that.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Nice story on the miraculous recovery by Hakeem Lecky.
https://www.ack.net/stories/miracle-rec ... keem,25441
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Can Opener wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:46 am Nice story on the miraculous recovery by Hakeem Lecky.
That is such wonderful news! Thank you.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:26 am
Can Opener wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:46 am Nice story on the miraculous recovery by Hakeem Lecky.
That is such wonderful news! Thank you.

DocBarrister :)

friends from the city and beyond poured into his hospital room to check on him. Two of them, Derek Maltz and Donal Flaherty, set up a Go Fund Me campaign in his name, raising over $236,000 to help pay for his medical expenses and rehabilitation
+ 1,000
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

HomerCoach wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:47 am
Matnum PI wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:40 am Heard from an SU friend that John Zulberti passed. No more details and unconfirmed.
Oh no, RIP

I have not been to this part of the forum in a while. So sad to come across this news. What a great player.

Highlights of his great career:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NysmF2ta44c
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Just read that SU will be retiring the #22 for lacrosse.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Ketch wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:24 pm Just read that SU will be retiring the #22 for lacrosse.
On the Syracuse message board they say the are retiring the jersey not the number

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”