Re: Maryland 2022

Post by keno in reno »

Wheels wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:59 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:29 am
AreaLax wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:23 pm On to the next year

Seniors/Grad Students: 16
Departing; Bernhardt/Grill/Holden/Brown /Miller
Returning confirmed: Wisnauskas
Unknown status : Fairman/Shockey/Rahill/Puglise/A DeMaio/Morris/Martellucci/A Smith/Higgins/Trucksess

Junior - 7
Cope/Geppert/Long/J Smith/Coffman/Brandau/Makar

Sophomore - 17
N DeMaio/Koop/Calderone/Sawyer/Sherrer/Gibbons/McNaney/Duff/Whalen/Maltz/Siracusa/
Brennan/Roche/Burlace /Wynne/Ridley/Wierman

Freshmen - 9
Malever /Goforth/Koras/Wicks/Kelly/Zappitello/Redd/Marshall/McDonald

Incoming Class by Position - 14:
2 D: Schritzer/Burlace (brother already on the team)
4 A: Whittier/Spanos/Erkas/Koras (brother already on the team)
1 G: Schmidt
1 FO: Keethler
6 M: Kolar/Holmes/Beacham/Davidson/Tucker/ Trader(also a football commit)

Transfer -
Incoming : rumor of two possibilities on the offense side
Outgoing : 1 rumored
This (above) is from June. Any thoughts on the players getting PT this coming season?
Tills and Benson will always put the best 6 out on offense regardless of "position," so going through the traditional units is a bit hard. But I'd guess we'll see Wisnauskas, Khan, Malever, and Maltz getting most of the time at "attack." Wisnauskas will be the one who never leaves the field. Then you'll have DeMaio, Fairman, and Long on that first "midfield" line with Donville getting runs in there and probably on the EMO because of his shooting. It's when the second MF line gets in that things could be pretty interesting. I would not be surprised at all to see Donville and Malever flipping spots when the 2nd MF line is in so that Donville can play inside to use his box finishing skills while Malever gets chances to dodge shorties. Koras, Brennan (back from injury), and Jake Smith (back from injury), and Owen Murphy could be in that 2nd MF mix. Brennan showed he could shoot but was also sneaky good at getting down the alleys. Jake Smith was playing well in the COVID year before things shut down. He's a former HS attackman and has a similar kind of look to him as Malever (size, mobility, athleticism).

The entire rope unit returns, even though Alex Smith is coming off of an ACL repair but is expected to be ready by spring. Higgins is also coming back from a similar injury but is supposed to be 100%. Josh Coffman is their most dynamic shorty and probably the best pure athlete of that group. Then you Puglise, who has been basically a starter since his freshman year. They built some depth with Cope at shorty spot when Higgins got hurt. Geppert will get AA votes this year, as he should. He's so underrated as a LSM. Sherrer is a really good 2nd LSM, and they're high on Ajax Zappitello, who got minutes in the title game at the LSM. It's such a good group that Redd and BJ Burlace barely see the field.

At close, Makar, Rahill, and Prybyklski are probably the starters. They're high on Colin Burlace and Jack Shirtzer as freshman. You have to wonder if BJ Burlace gets more looks at close than LSM.

Wierman, Tygh, and the freshman Keethler will rotate at the FOGO.

McNaney, Morris, and Marshall probably in that order in goal. McNaney, of course, is the starter. It's who is the primary back-up that will be interesting.

Those would be my guesses. It's hard to see any of the freshman getting much run. Trader, as of now, is still planning on playing lacrosse this spring, but he's been getting more and more time at safety for the football team.
In 2016, I think Tillman made a huge mistake by not putting newcomer Pat Young on the first line, which ultimately contributed to the lost national championship. Pat was a proven all-american before MD and proved his superior skills as a pro afterwards. He was way underutilized all season.

I think Donville is a similar case. We will see, but from the tape it does not look like there is a better player on the roster for the role that he plays.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

yeah, as good as a 2nd group of mids may be, i expect 7/8 guys to have 80-90% of the run. 6/7 if there's an injury or 2.
and donville, wisnauskas to be on the upper end of that (or more in wisnauskas' case). kahn and maltz maybe as well if they settle on a 3 man attack.

course long or malever could win out at attack as well. but donville is a primary on the ones at midfield.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:33 pm yeah, as good as a 2nd group of mids may be, i expect 7/8 guys to have 80-90% of the run. 6/7 if there's an injury or 2.
and donville, wisnauskas to be on the upper end of that (or more in wisnauskas' case). kahn and maltz maybe as well if they settle on a 3 man attack.

course long or malever could win out at attack as well. but donville is a primary on the ones at midfield.
The only wiggle room anywhere is at the attack spot. Long played attack in high school (2, 100 assist seasons, I believe, in HS for him). Long, though, just abuses defensive midfielders. It's gotta be a nightmare for opposing DCs to deduce who get the pole...DeMaio, Long, Bubba? Two of them are going to get really good match ups. UVA double-poled the MD's midfield, which led Benson to remove Maltz and put in Malever when MD made their comeback. I've had an opinion for a while that Bubba should actually be next in line for Jared's spot because of Bubba's combination of size, speeds, and strength. But then you've got Khan, Malever, and Maltz.

It's a pretty good problem to have if you're Maryland. You've got 7 or so legitimate top line offensive players. Then they have 3 or so more that would probably start for some pretty good teams, too.

Is the 2022 team like the 2017 in that the year prior's team was considered better? The 2016 team, IMO, was more complete and deeper than the 2017 team.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:04 pm

Unknown status : Fairman/Shockey/Rahill/Puglise/A DeMaio/Morris/Martellucci/A Smith/Higgins/Trucksess

Junior - 7

Sophomore - 17
N DeMaio/Koop/Calderone/Sawyer/Sherrer/Gibbons/McNaney/Duff/Whalen/Maltz/Siracusa/

Freshmen - 9

Transfer -
This (above) is from June. Any thoughts on the players getting PT this coming season?
Tills and Benson will always put the best 6 out on offense regardless of "position," so going through the traditional units is a bit hard. But I'd guess we'll see Wisnauskas, Khan, Malever, and Maltz getting most of the time at "attack." Wisnauskas will be the one who never leaves the field. Then you'll have DeMaio, Fairman, and Long on that first "midfield" line with Donville getting runs in there and probably on the EMO because of his shooting. It's when the second MF line gets in that things could be pretty interesting. I would not be surprised at all to see Donville and Malever flipping spots when the 2nd MF line is in so that Donville can play inside to use his box finishing skills while Malever gets chances to dodge shorties. Koras, Brennan (back from injury), and Jake Smith (back from injury), and Owen Murphy could be in that 2nd MF mix. Brennan showed he could shoot but was also sneaky good at getting down the alleys. Jake Smith was playing well in the COVID year before things shut down. He's a former HS attackman and has a similar kind of look to him as Malever (size, mobility, athleticism).

The entire rope unit returns, even though Alex Smith is coming off of an ACL repair but is expected to be ready by spring. Higgins is also coming back from a similar injury but is supposed to be 100%. Josh Coffman is their most dynamic shorty and probably the best pure athlete of that group. Then you Puglise, who has been basically a starter since his freshman year. They built some depth with Cope at shorty spot when Higgins got hurt. Geppert will get AA votes this year, as he should. He's so underrated as a LSM. Sherrer is a really good 2nd LSM, and they're high on Ajax Zappitello, who got minutes in the title game at the LSM. It's such a good group that Redd and BJ Burlace barely see the field.

At close, Makar, Rahill, and Prybyklski are probably the starters. They're high on Colin Burlace and Jack Shirtzer as freshman. You have to wonder if BJ Burlace gets more looks at close than LSM.

McNaney, Morris, and Marshall probably in that order in goal. McNaney, of course, is the starter. It's who is the primary back-up that will be interesting.

Those would be my guesses. It's hard to see any of the freshman getting much run. Trader, as of now, is still planning on playing lacrosse this spring, but he's been getting more and more time at safety for the football team.
In 2016, I think Tillman made a huge mistake by not putting newcomer Pat Young on the first line, which ultimately contributed to the lost national championship. Pat was a proven all-american before MD and proved his superior skills as a pro afterwards. He was way underutilized all season.

I think Donville is a similar case. We will see, but from the tape it does not look like there is a better player on the roster for the role that he plays.
I agree that Donville should start; but Pat Young was...not an All-American. He wasn't even First Team All-America East the year before he transferred (he was in 2013 and 2014.) If he was an All-American he would have been on that first midfield which had a First Team AA in Cole and a later two time First Team AA in Kelly (one of three MD players to have that distinction under Tills.) He was a really good player but not some must-start First Team AA and I'm not sure how you could say him not playing more contributed to the lost national title since Henry West, the 3rd MF on the first line, had SIX points in the national championship game. He played the best game of his life that day.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I'd try Donville in for Bubba early in the year. Not saying I'd stick with it, but I'd try it. Worst comes to worst you just put Bubba back in since him, Long, and DeMaio have played together forever and always have that chemistry.

But Bubba just hasn't had it offensively since 2020 the way he did his first few years. He can still dodge a shortie well but when poles are on him he's had more trouble and his shooting has really fallen off. His big assets to the team right now are that he's very good defensively for a starting O mid and still obviously a great athlete. Try him out on 2nd line, see if he can have more success that way, maybe he gets some depth long poles or shorties on those shifts, and then leave him out as a d mid on those shifts to potentially spark transition. Maybe give him a shot on the wing at times. I don't think they'll be hurt by him in there but I'd give it a shot and see how Donville fares on that 1st line. He's so skilled.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Baylor football in pursuit of a Term lax commit. Big lefty attackman Ethan Burke:

https://247sports.com/college/maryland/ ... 174640262/
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:27 pm I'd try Donville in for Bubba early in the year. Not saying I'd stick with it, but I'd try it. Worst comes to worst you just put Bubba back in since him, Long, and DeMaio have played together forever and always have that chemistry.

But Bubba just hasn't had it offensively since 2020 the way he did his first few years. He can still dodge a shortie well but when poles are on him he's had more trouble and his shooting has really fallen off. His big assets to the team right now are that he's very good defensively for a starting O mid and still obviously a great athlete. Try him out on 2nd line, see if he can have more success that way, maybe he gets some depth long poles or shorties on those shifts, and then leave him out as a d mid on those shifts to potentially spark transition. Maybe give him a shot on the wing at times. I don't think they'll be hurt by him in there but I'd give it a shot and see how Donville fares on that 1st line. He's so skilled.
I'd be shocked...like upset of the year shock... to see Bubba on the 2nd line. He's too good of a two-way midfielder. He lets others be more aggressive because he can always get back on defense. I think it's more likely you see a rotation of guys through the attack, everyone except Wisnauskas. Then you'll see guys flipping between up top and down low when the 2nd MF line comes in. Guys like Malever, Long, and Donville will probably shift all over the field as a guy like Maltz comes in and out.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Wheels wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:59 pmTills and Benson will always put the best 6 out on offense regardless of "position," so going through the traditional units is a bit hard. But I'd guess we'll see Wisnauskas, Khan, Malever, and Maltz getting most of the time at "attack." Wisnauskas will be the one who never leaves the field. Then you'll have DeMaio, Fairman, and Long on that first "midfield" line with Donville getting runs in there and probably on the EMO because of his shooting. It's when the second MF line gets in that things could be pretty interesting. I would not be surprised at all to see Donville and Malever flipping spots when the 2nd MF line is in so that Donville can play inside to use his box finishing skills while Malever gets chances to dodge shorties. Koras, Brennan (back from injury), and Jake Smith (back from injury), and Owen Murphy could be in that 2nd MF mix. Brennan showed he could shoot but was also sneaky good at getting down the alleys. Jake Smith was playing well in the COVID year before things shut down. He's a former HS attackman and has a similar kind of look to him as Malever (size, mobility, athleticism).

Great breakdown.

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:22 pm
keno in reno wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:04 pm

Junior - 7

Sophomore - 17

Freshmen - 9

Transfer -

I agree that Donville should start; but Pat Young was...not an All-American. He wasn't even First Team All-America East the year before he transferred (he was in 2013 and 2014.) If he was an All-American he would have been on that first midfield which had a First Team AA in Cole and a later two time First Team AA in Kelly (one of three MD players to have that distinction under Tills.) He was a really good player but not some must-start First Team AA and I'm not sure how you could say him not playing more contributed to the lost national title since Henry West, the 3rd MF on the first line, had SIX points in the national championship game. He played the best game of his life that day.
I thought Pat Young was overrated if anything, and there’s no way he deserved to be on the first line that year.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:09 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:27 pm I'd try Donville in for Bubba early in the year. Not saying I'd stick with it, but I'd try it. Worst comes to worst you just put Bubba back in since him, Long, and DeMaio have played together forever and always have that chemistry.

I'd be shocked...like upset of the year shock... to see Bubba on the 2nd line. He's too good of a two-way midfielder. He lets others be more aggressive because he can always get back on defense. I think it's more likely you see a rotation of guys through the attack, everyone except Wisnauskas. Then you'll see guys flipping between up top and down low when the 2nd MF line comes in. Guys like Malever, Long, and Donville will probably shift all over the field as a guy like Maltz comes in and out.
I would be too, but I’d give it a shot. If you’re gonna run a roster this deep, you may as well try options out early in the season. See what works and what doesn’t. As UVA has shown last two years, not the worst thing to be like the 3rd or 4th seed in the tournament when you’ve got that much talent on the field
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Tomorrow is the beginning of NLI signing. Here is IL list:

AJ Larkin D Loyola Blakefield 5 stars
Will Schaller LSM The Hill School 5 stars
Brian Ruppel G Catonsville High School 5 stars
Aidan Aitken M Salisbury School 4 stars
Eliot Dubick A /Winston Churchill High School 4 stars
Ethan Burke A Westlake High School 4 stars; also has Football offers
George Stamos D West Potomac High School 4 stars
Marco Signorello M. Paul VI Catholic High School 4 stars
Mitch Lloyd FO. St Joseph's Preparatory School 4 stars
Trace Davidson M Salisbury School/ Reclass to the ‘22 4 stars
Braden Erksa A Lassiter High School 4 stars
Riley Reese D St Marys High School 3 stars
Eric Kolar M Urbana High School /PG Hill School
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

All have signed except Burke who is looking at football offers
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Is UMD in the mix for a signing a la D Trader
lorin

Post by lorin »

AreaLax wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:59 am Tomorrow is the beginning of NLI signing. Here is IL list:

Boy the 3 star must have a good GPA
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

lorin wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:49 pm
AreaLax wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:59 am Tomorrow is the beginning of NLI signing. Here is IL list:

huh?
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Don't need it at UMD.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:07 pm All have signed except Burke who is looking at football offers
Hard to compete with FB $$.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

He has family ties to the program. I also wouldn’t read into rankings very much.
lorin

Post by lorin »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:46 am

He has family ties to the program. I also wouldn’t read into rankings very much.
I have no clue who the boy is, I was simply joking that they took a 3 star to bring up teams Grade Point Average ( GPA) my boys have no stars next to their names. So good for him.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Your comments still makes no sense.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”