Hobart 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Hobart 2022

Post by oldbartman »

Nice article about a recruit coming in the fall.

https://www.trentonian.com/2022/04/27/h ... e-program/
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Latest pod from Ted and Coach is up:

https://hwsathletics.com/podcasts/hobar ... ode-43/105
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Well, we're in the tournament. Now just have to finish this one to get the 3. So far so good.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

4 pm Thursday
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

There were some really good moments on Saturday, especially as the O tried to push things inside. Those passes are still not connecting as well as they should, and we did miss some point-blank shots, but the inside threat could be helpful against Bryant. I saw that MSM beat Navy in the first game of the season, but they seemed to have some real execution problems yesterday. I thought Hobart played well, but I couldn't tell if the final result was better than the previous week, or if MSM had an off day.
As far as the tournament is concerned, there is just one question: can the team play at its best for 4 quarter? The D has shown itself capable of completely shutting down opponents for 20+ minutes at a time. If they play for the whole game as they played against Bryant in the first half last time, then they'll win. But if they played as they played in the second half last time, it'll be a quick end to the season. Similarly, can the O continue to score without letting its foot up. I like a controlled offence, and I see these guys developing into a disciplined team, but they really do best when they are loose. Can they blend the excitement of their streaky play with the consistency of a half field possession game? Yesterday MSM did not get many attempts because our O was also excellent at possession and running the clock.
Another question that is bugging me is what happened to our man-up squad? THey were killing it at the start of the year, but they seem a bit lackluster in the past few weeks. On the other hand, rides have been outstanding.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

We’re healthy and that bodes well for the offense.
Lots of weapons and unselfish play makes them a tough match up.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

In other lacrosse news, congratulations to William Smith lacrosse for finishing the regular season at 15 -1. Best of luck in the playoffs!
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Laxgunea wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:47 am In other lacrosse news, congratulations to William Smith lacrosse for finishing the regular season at 15 -1. Best of luck in the playoffs!
Only loss was to #1 Salisbury back in Feb or March. They certainly have the firepower to win the LL (need to get by a tough IC squad) and make a run deep into the WLAX D3 tourney.
man-down

Post by man-down »

Laxgunea wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:39 pm There were some really good moments on Saturday, especially as the O tried to push things inside. Those passes are still not connecting as well as they should, and we did miss some point-blank shots, but the inside threat could be helpful against Bryant. I saw that MSM beat Navy in the first game of the season, but they seemed to have some real execution problems yesterday. I thought Hobart played well, but I couldn't tell if the final result was better than the previous week, or if MSM had an off day.
As far as the tournament is concerned, there is just one question: can the team play at its best for 4 quarter? The D has shown itself capable of completely shutting down opponents for 20+ minutes at a time. If they play for the whole game as they played against Bryant in the first half last time, then they'll win. But if they played as they played in the second half last time, it'll be a quick end to the season. Similarly, can the O continue to score without letting its foot up. I like a controlled offence, and I see these guys developing into a disciplined team, but they really do best when they are loose. Can they blend the excitement of their streaky play with the consistency of a half field possession game? Yesterday MSM did not get many attempts because our O was also excellent at possession and running the clock.
Another question that is bugging me is what happened to our man-up squad? THey were killing it at the start of the year, but they seem a bit lackluster in the past few weeks. On the other hand, rides have been outstanding.
Regarding the drop-off in Man up efficiency - shots from up top don't seem to be as precise lately (remember how good those were at Syracuse) and there has only been one attempted skip pass to Ward sitting alone on the far pipe since Sacred Heart and that pass sailed (Archer tried it vs LIU and the pass sailed out of bounds). They had several goals that way early on. A few short passes from X to the wings have worked though.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Graduating seniors Derrek Madonna and Ryan Dickson in the Transfer Portal. Was hoping they would both stick around. Wouldn't be surprised to see Madonna join his younger brother at Richmond. Dickson being able to face off and now playing SSDM should make him interesting to a lot of programs. Good luck to both of them!
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

I wonder who'll start in goal Thursday?
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

SMAIN wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:36 pm I wonder who'll start in goal Thursday?
Can't imagine it would be anyone but Holtby. Soutiropolous may be doing well in practice, but after last time, I think coach has to figure Bryant has his number.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Funny. Ted said at end of last broadcast the plan was to record with Coach Ray today, so we should have a podcast / preview by this afternoon.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

We will need a big day from our D tomorrow. They can't focus on any 1 attackman from Bryant as all 3 starters are capable of having monster games if allowed to get free. We need a better game out of Mott and hope Simas, who has made a huge improvement in his decision making late this season, to keep the Bulldogs D guessing with his shoot from anywhere tactics. If Holtby can play the way he did in the first game, Bart can surprise the rest of the lax world.
Last edited by oldbartman on Wed May 04, 2022 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NEC awards came out. 8 statesmen on teams. Cole/LaCalandria/Mark were POY/OPOY/DPOY. Kid from SHU got ROY.

https://northeastconference.org/news/20 ... el_22.aspx
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:30 pm NEC awards came out. 8 statesmen on teams. Cole/LaCalandria/Mark were POY/OPOY/DPOY. Kid from SHU got ROY.

https://northeastconference.org/news/20 ... el_22.aspx
Thought Hobart deserved more here, but maybe they can use it as part of that "chip on the shoulder" that coach wants them to play with. I was glad to see a mention for Firth, who has had a really good rookie year.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The conference is blowing up for lacrosse so not sure how much the coaches all cared. Bummer for Madonna but he’s been hurt a chunk of the season.

It’s also what happens when you are the sole conference win for a cellar dweller team (SHU who finished 1-6 in conference and generally not that competitive).

It’s funny to see the note about St Joes stellar conference record over 8 years and yet not once winning the conference. Here’s to hoping we get another chance against them this weekend.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Farfromgeneva