Big Ten 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
a fan

Re: Big Ten 2022

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:24 pm You repeatedly misrepresent what others write.
Pot. Meet kettle.

And nope, I'm not misrepresenting your posts-----you keep contradicting yourself to try and make yourself sound right.
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:24 pm Your point is pretty meaningless. It always takes time to build a top notch program from scratch.
Nope. That was MY point. YOUR point was that you think Michigan is magic, and had major advantages over other programs.

MY point was----and I told you this five years ago----the opposite: Michigan DOES NOT have a major recruiting advantage over other programs.

And lo and behold, five years later-----I'm right. Just like every other middling BigTen program, and every other top 30 program, Michigan is getting good players. What they ARE NOT doing so far, is landing elite players.

My point is the same today as it was five years ago: if Michigan had these recruiting advantage that other programs don't? They'd have landed a few elite players already. Guess what? They haven't.

And the larger point I keep making is: all you know it all's with your condescending comments (if Denver can win a championship, so can Michigan is a nice slight to U Denver, Doc) are heaping ridiculous expectations on these lacrosse coaches that they can't possibly meet. Look at Gymman's comments....he's already preparing to call for Conry's head with his "We will see whether or not he would get fired sans an NCAA Tournament bid by 2023. A big factor could be how much things are improved and how close they are to making it. Put it this way. The Paul's players and Covid excuses are no longer valid."

So Gymman builds up these absurd expectations out of thin air----and then if the coach doesn't accomplish the goal, which is based on nothing, he thinks he should be let go. This is where we are with sports in 2021, where fans think that, oh, about 10 teams should make the Final Four every year....and they just can't figure out why that isn't happening.

Conry, just like every other D1 coach, has to grind it out, and frankly, get lucky, just like Tambroni did. Tambroni had a meh record at Penn St.....until he landed Ament, and someone who could finish Ament's beautiful feeds. Elite players. Result? Final Fours.

Ament leaves, what happens? Well, if you ask 90% of the posters here, the game has now passed Tambroni by, and he can't coach anymore. But for me, it shows you how razor thin the difference is between missing the tournament altogether, and making the Final Four----it's down to a couple of elite players that one team has, that the other team doesn't.

I think Conry will get these elite players in time. The fact that he hasn't done that in five years tells me that Michigan isn't the advantaged School that you and others think it is. Conry will have to work at it, just like everyone else. And I'm rooting for him.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:10 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:24 pm You repeatedly misrepresent what others write.
Pot. Meet kettle.

And nope, I'm not misrepresenting your posts-----you keep contradicting yourself to try and make yourself sound right.
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:24 pm Your point is pretty meaningless. It always takes time to build a top notch program from scratch.
Nope. That was MY point. YOUR point was that you think Michigan is magic, and had major advantages over other programs.

MY point was----and I told you this five years ago----the opposite: Michigan DOES NOT have a major recruiting advantage over other programs.

And lo and behold, five years later-----I'm right. Just like every other middling BigTen program, and every other top 30 program, Michigan is getting good players. What they ARE NOT doing so far, is landing elite players.

My point is the same today as it was five years ago: if Michigan had these recruiting advantage that other programs don't? They'd have landed a few elite players already. Guess what? They haven't.

And the larger point I keep making is: all you know it all's with your condescending comments (if Denver can win a championship, so can Michigan is a nice slight to U Denver, Doc) are heaping ridiculous expectations on these lacrosse coaches that they can't possibly meet. Look at Gymman's comments....he's already preparing to call for Conry's head with his "We will see whether or not he would get fired sans an NCAA Tournament bid by 2023. A big factor could be how much things are improved and how close they are to making it. Put it this way. The Paul's players and Covid excuses are no longer valid."

So Gymman builds up these absurd expectations out of thin air----and then if the coach doesn't accomplish the goal, which is based on nothing, he thinks he should be let go. This is where we are with sports in 2021, where fans think that, oh, about 10 teams should make the Final Four every year....and they just can't figure out why that isn't happening.

Conry, just like every other D1 coach, has to grind it out, and frankly, get lucky, just like Tambroni did. Tambroni had a meh record at Penn St.....until he landed Ament, and someone who could finish Ament's beautiful feeds. Elite players. Result? Final Fours.

Ament leaves, what happens? Well, if you ask 90% of the posters here, the game has now passed Tambroni by, and he can't coach anymore. But for me, it shows you how razor thin the difference is between missing the tournament altogether, and making the Final Four----it's down to a couple of elite players that one team has, that the other team doesn't.

I think Conry will get these elite players in time. The fact that he hasn't done that in five years tells me that Michigan isn't the advantaged School that you and others think it is. Conry will have to work at it, just like everyone else. And I'm rooting for him.
Not a slight to Denver.

Michigan is one of the highest profile universities in the nation, and one of the biggest sports “brands” there is.

Denver, well, isn’t.

Those are just facts.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
a fan

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:27 pm Not a slight to Denver.

Michigan is one of the highest profile universities in the nation, and one of the biggest sports “brands” there is.

Denver, well, isn’t.

Those are just facts.

DocBarrister
:lol: Oh, yes it is a slight. And it makes my point perfectly that you guys still have your heads up your *sses, and have convinced yourselves that having a high profile football team means that lacrosse recruits will fall all over themselves to come to Michigan.

The advantage that you think Michigan has doesn't exist, and I told you that when Conry was hired. You didn't want to hear it..... and here you are, five years later, squawking about the Michigan brand even with the evidence staring you in the face that lax players CLEARLY don't care about the Michigan brand.

How many NCAA Championships does UMich Lacrosse and Hockey have in the 2000's, Doc? Zippo. None.

How about the University of Denver? Four.

Wake up. No one cares about "branding", except the dude selling T-shirts for $30 a pop.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

a fan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:10 pm

Denver, well, isn’t.

Those are just facts.

DocBarrister
:lol: Oh, yes it is a slight. And it makes my point perfectly that you guys still have your heads up your *sses, and have convinced yourselves that having a high profile football team means that lacrosse recruits will fall all over themselves to come to Michigan.

The advantage that you think Michigan has doesn't exist, and I told you that when Conry was hired. You didn't want to hear it..... and here you are, five years later, squawking about the Michigan brand even with the evidence staring you in the face that lax players CLEARLY don't care about the Michigan brand.

How many NCAA Championships does UMich Lacrosse and Hockey have in the 2000's, Doc? Zippo. None.

Wake up. No one cares about "branding", except the dude selling T-shirts for $30 a pop.
a fan,

I still refer to it as That School Up North! :lol: :lol:

Joe
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Denver, well, isn’t.

Those are just facts.

DocBarrister

"Brand" is way more important to Michigan than actually winning...this thread just shows it...people think Michigan has a great football program and team...but they have not won a relevant game in years...they have not won a big ten title since 2004...I bet most in this lacrosse board have no idea about those facts...

Michigan is a huge "brand"....

I think they are trending in the right direction as a lacrosse program...which is not hard considering where they are coming from....

They have great facilities, it's a very good school

But the other big ten schools are very close and in some cases just as good or better...

Michigan can be good and might be good...but the "brand sale" is old and tired...just win
a fan

Post by a fan »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:58 pm

Denver, well, isn’t.

Those are just facts.

DocBarrister

a fan,

Joe
:lol: I owned a pub there for a decade, Joe. We LOVED Ohio St games.....because it meant double the sales for the weekend over any other team.

Your fans were always respectful, and fun to have in. Rooted hard without being obnoxious.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:00 pm
I think they are trending in the right direction as a lacrosse program...which is not hard considering where they are coming from....

But the other big ten schools are very close and in some cases just as good or better...

Michigan can be good and might be good...but the "brand sale" is old and tired...just win
Yes! They have to put one pant leg on at a time, and hit the recruiting trail just like everybody else.

They'll get there. I'm rooting for Conry, and relish every win they get.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

a fan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:12 pm
Laxfan#1969 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:00 pm

Yes! They have to put one pant leg on at a time, and hit the recruiting trail just like everybody else.

They'll get there. I'm rooting for Conry, and relish every win they get.
Agree...Coach Conry is good IMO...Michigan is a great place...but it's not on some magical pedestal...they have a good coach, good facilities, and it's a good school...lots of places can say the same...

But the same can be said for all the other big ten schools...and all those schools have been around longer (lacrosse), have had much more success, and like Michigan they have lots to offer...facilities keep improving and they're all good schools...all have great new facilities or are investing in new facilities....it's not gonna get easier...

Conry should be given the time he needs
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Denver, well, isn’t.

Those are just facts.

DocBarrister

Michigan is better than you think. Lots of young talent. I expect them to be a top-20 team this season. They have one of the better freshman classes as well.

Michigan is getting a lot of good lacrosse recruits for a school that lacrosse recruits care nothing about.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

a fan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:10 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:58 pm

Denver, well, isn’t.

Those are just facts.

DocBarrister

a fan,

Joe
:lol: I owned a pub there for a decade, Joe. We LOVED Ohio St games.....because it meant double the sales for the weekend over any other team.

Your fans were always respectful, and fun to have in. Rooted hard without being obnoxious.
Great stuff, really don't like the fact they moved the game to the Saturday after Thanksgiving, made it much harder for out of state students to go to them game.

Joe
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:28 pm

Denver, well, isn’t.

Those are just facts.

DocBarrister

Michigan is better than you think. Lots of young talent. I expect them to be a top-20 team this season. They have one of the better freshman classes as well.

Michigan is getting a lot of good lacrosse recruits for a school that lacrosse recruits care nothing about.

DocBarrister 8-)
Yeah but is their incoming class "transformative"?
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:21 pm

Denver, well, isn’t.

Those are just facts.

DocBarrister

DocBarrister 8-)
Was Hobart’s move to Division I “transformative”?

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:37 pm

Denver, well, isn’t.

Those are just facts.

DocBarrister

DocBarrister 8-)

DocBarrister 8-)
Form a record standpoint yes it is consistent with how transformative that class you heralded was. Difference is you’re transformation got a hall of fame coach fired and ours allows us to maintain existing rivalries and elevated us (as necessary given the ncaa ruling) compete against the best as they had for 100 years up to that point.

Just suggesting you’re predictive track record isn’t quite 100-0
See Martin, Malcolm
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:41 pm

Denver, well, isn’t.

Those are just facts.

DocBarrister

DocBarrister 8-)

DocBarrister 8-)
Form a record standpoint yes it is consistent with how transformative that class you heralded was. Difference is you’re transformation got a hall of fame coach fired and ours allows us to maintain existing rivalries and elevated us (as necessary given the ncaa ruling) compete against the best as they had for 100 years up to that point.

Nonsense. Class of 2013 probably saved the NCAA tournament streak in 2010, and had good seasons in 2011 and 2012. Very poor season in 2013, breaking the tournament streak, but that was also the “rotating suspension” season that was completely screwed up before the season even began.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:06 am
NYterp09 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:44 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:58 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:46 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:24 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:21 pm
Big Dog wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:40 pm Disagree about tOSU and Rutgers. Both are not highly ranked as nice looking campuses. Michigan academics is far above either. Now perhaps lax bros are turning into SEC-type recruits who don't care about school, but for anyone who considers schooling UM....
:lol: Well, not all elite players are book smart, right? So sometimes lesser academics are a better fit.

Fair point on the academics, but Ohio State has a nice campus, if you ask me. Never been to Rutgers...so I'll take your word for it!
Ohio State Campus is nice. Rutgers is hard to describe. Kind if cobbled together it seems. The Ohio STATE university has great graduate programs….world class.

https://news.osu.edu/15-ohio-state-grad ... ld-report/
+1

TREMENDOUS school, great alumni network and really set me up to succeed in working world.

Joe
Those Big Ten Schools are world class research institutions. I believe OSU has a nuclear facility on campus. I believe I took a field trip.
PSU and UMD both have research reactors as well.
Thanks. I am not surprised. Those are great institutions, particularly when you get into upper level courses.
Reed Research Reactor is the only research reactor in the world that is owned and operated by an undergraduate educational institution. It is operated and maintained by undergraduate college students under the supervision of a director and operations manager who are members of the college staff. The facility provides scientific irradiation services to a broad community outside the college, but its primary mission is for student initiated research, training, and hands-on education.
The RRR distinguishes itself from other university research reactors by the fact that it is the only reactor run completely by undergraduate students and serves undergraduate degree programs almost exclusively. In fact, Reed College does not have any nuclear engineering or even any engineering program.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Drcthru wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:49 pm
Big Dog wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:40 pm Disagree about tOSU and Rutgers. Both are not highly ranked as nice looking campuses. Michigan academics is far above either. Now perhaps lax bros are turning into SEC-type recruits who don't care about school, but for anyone who considers schooling UM....
:lol: Well, not all elite players are book smart, right? So sometimes lesser academics are a better fit.

Fair point on the academics, but Ohio State has a nice campus, if you ask me. Never been to Rutgers...so I'll take your word for it!
Ohio State Campus is nice. Rutgers is hard to describe. Kind if cobbled together it seems. The Ohio STATE university has great graduate programs….world class.

+1

TREMENDOUS school, great alumni network and really set me up to succeed in working world.

Joe
Those Big Ten Schools are world class research institutions. I believe OSU has a nuclear facility on campus. I believe I took a field trip.
Thanks. I am not surprised. Those are great institutions, particularly when you get into upper level courses.
Reed Research Reactor is the only research reactor in the world that is owned and operated by an undergraduate educational institution. It is operated and maintained by undergraduate college students under the supervision of a director and operations manager who are members of the college staff. The facility provides scientific irradiation services to a broad community outside the college, but its primary mission is for student initiated research, training, and hands-on education.
The RRR distinguishes itself from other university research reactors by the fact that it is the only reactor run completely by undergraduate students and serves undergraduate degree programs almost exclusively. In fact, Reed College does not have any nuclear engineering or even any engineering program.
Is it really a good idea for college undergraduates to run a nuclear reactor? :shock: :o

I wouldn’t trust those kids to wash my car.

DocBarrister :P
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Drcthru wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:49 pm

+1

Joe
Thanks. Learned something today.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:46 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:41 pm

Denver, well, isn’t.

Those are just facts.

DocBarrister

DocBarrister 8-)

DocBarrister 8-)

Nonsense. Class of 2013 probably saved the NCAA tournament streak in 2010, and had good seasons in 2011 and 2012. Very poor season in 2013, breaking the tournament streak, but that was also the “rotating suspension” season that was completely screwed up before the season even began.

DocBarrister 8-)
That 7-8 2010 season and first round exit? It was transformational as it was the first losing season since 1971. Sandwiched that class with first non playoff season in forever. Lost by 13 to Duke, 5 as a 3 seed to Denver and then 6 as a 2 seed to unseeded MD then no playoffs. Transformational wasn’t my term and I want pounding the table
On that class. I’d say my comment is fairly accurate that you were wrong about that.
See Martin, Malcolm
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://news.northwestern.edu/stories/2 ... mily-gift/

they could've easily chosen to add mens lax in this gift and notably did not.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Many years ago a close friend worked in the Duke admissions office while she was an undergraduate there. Given the timing of March Madness coming right before admissions letters went out, Duke had the matriculation formula down to an exact science. They could calculate matriculation rate based on how far the basketball team went in the tournament. If the team won it all, they sent out fewer acceptance letters. If they got knocked out in the second round, they accepted more applicants. This stuff matters to 16 and 17 year old male athletes even more than the general applicant pool. Who wouldn't want to go to a Big 10 school that has a chance of winning a major natty while you're there?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”