SSDM Peter Dearth Syracuse University
SSDM Zachary Geddes Georgetown
SSDM Ryan Hallenbeck Notre Dame
SSDM Matt Higgins Loyola University Maryland
MDlaxfan76

Re: 2021 USILA All-Americans

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Interesting.

I'm not sure when the selections were actually made, but I'd have a tough time with the 1st team pick going to McElroy...going into the tournament he certainly had sky high saves %, but no longer the best of the goalies facing toughest competition. But maybe it was selected earlier. Definitely in the top cadre though.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

I'm impressed the Midfielder of the Year went to a defensive pole.

(Lt Raymond J. Enners Outstanding Player of the Year) - Jared Bernhardt – Attack - Maryland
(William C. Schmeisser Defensive Player of the Year) – JT Giles-Harris – Defense - Duke
(Ensign C. Markland Kelly Jr. Outstanding Goalie) – Owen McElroy – Goalie – Georgetown
(Lt. j.g. Donald MacLaughlin Jr. Outstanding Midfielder) – Jared Connors - Virginia
(Lt. Col. JI Turnbull Outstanding Attackman of the Year) – Chris Gray – Attack – North Carolina
random observer

Post by random observer »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:15 pm Interesting.

I'm not sure when the selections were actually made, but I'd have a tough time with the 1st team pick going to McElroy...going into the tournament he certainly had sky high saves %, but no longer the best of the goalies facing toughest competition. But maybe it was selected earlier. Definitely in the top cadre though.
Whilst there are several deserving goalies, I disagree with this. You can't let one recent game override the body of work, and he was hung out to dry by his defense against UVA. He's still right at the top of the save% and GAA leaders, and he's terrific out of the cage (I believe he has 3-4 assists on the year as well), and this is all no fluke after he led the country in save percentage in the shortened 2020 season as well. Again, there are others who have strong shouts for first team (namely Kirst and Entenmann), but McElroy is by no means someone who doesn't deserve the honor.

I remain puzzled at what Will Perry has done to piss off voters; he's been the most consistent and most productive offensive UNC player behind Gray this year. He has sky high point totals, great shooting percentage, and one of the lowest turnover totals you'll see out of a first line middle. Too many people voting are going off of past rep or dinging him because his game doesn't translate as well to the pros; they saw Cook and Anderson drafted in the PLL and just assume they must be better even though on the field this year he's been the guy.
Last edited by random observer on Thu May 27, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Gatsby wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:18 pm I'm impressed the Midfielder of the Year went to a defensive pole.
Was a very down year for offensive midfielders. No real Joneses, Schreibers, Curriers, Harrisons, Rabils, Conrads, Tinneys, etc.

Has also happened a few other times in semi-recent history: Joel White in 2010 and CJ Costabile in 2012.

At least they didn't give it to a FOGO. Baptiste won it a few years ago. FOGOs should have their own award. Makes no sense that they're in the same category as LSMs.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

That’s a lot of fracking All Americans.

Why no AA waterboys on this list 8-)
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:26 pm
Gatsby wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:18 pm I'm impressed the Midfielder of the Year went to a defensive pole.
Was a very down year for offensive midfielders. No real Joneses, Schreibers, Curriers, Harrisons, Rabils, Conrads, Tinneys, etc.

Has also happened a few other times in semi-recent history: Joel White in 2010 and CJ Costabile in 2012.

At least they didn't give it to a FOGO. Baptiste won it a few years ago. FOGOs should have their own award. Makes no sense that they're in the same category as LSMs.
CJ Costabile would have had an argument many years, he was simply a dominant player.
HU34

Post by HU34 »

10stone5 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:53 pm That’s a lot of fracking All Americans.

Waaaay too many. Should be 1st, 2nd, 3rd teams. 10 on each. That's it. AA should mean something.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

random observer wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:24 pm

Whilst there are several deserving goalies, I disagree with this. You can't let one recent game override the body of work, and he was hung out to dry by his defense against UVA. He's still right at the top of the save% and GAA leaders, and he's terrific out of the cage (I believe he has 3-4 assists on the year as well), and this is all no fluke after he led the country in save percentage in the shortened 2020 season as well. Again, there are others who have strong shouts for first team (namely Kirst and Entenmann), but McElroy is by no means someone who doesn't deserve the honor.

I remain puzzled at what Will Perry has done to tick of voters; he's been the most consistent and most productive offensive UNC player behind Gray this year. He has sky high point totals, great shooting percentage, and one of the lowest turnover totals you'll see out of a first line middle. Too many people voting are going off of past rep or dinging him because his game doesn't translate as well to the pros; they saw Cook and Anderson drafted in the PLL and just assume they must be better even though on the field this year he's been the guy.
I don’t understand why Perry isn’t higher this year. He had a great year.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HU34 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:44 pm
10stone5 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:53 pm That’s a lot of fracking All Americans.

Waaaay too many. Should be 1st, 2nd, 3rd teams. 10 on each. That's it. AA should mean something.
My guess is there are ties in the voting?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

I remain puzzled at what Will Perry has done to tick off voters; he's been the most consistent and most productive offensive UNC player behind Gray this year. He has sky high point totals, great shooting percentage, and one of the lowest turnover totals you'll see out of a first line middle. Too many people voting are going off of past rep or dinging him because his game doesn't translate as well to the pros; they saw Cook and Anderson drafted in the PLL and just assume they must be better even though on the field this year he's been the guy.
agree on mcelroy. and i think voting is pre-nc$$ anyway, as it should be.
top teams already get a lot of spoils.

on perry... i've seen him as a bit of a one trick pony before this year. he did more and has scored clutch goals. but he doesn't get a pole and not a big dodger, anderson does a lot and he and cook draw tough assignments. a great midfield trio, and what'll happen is they'll draw votes from each other. if there were only 2 of them, it may be a 1st and 2nd team. or one guy, maybe he's up for middie of the year.

as it is, with 2 seconds and a third, it even seems a bit too much.

i wouldn't want my goalie staring down perry with under a minute left.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:40 pm

I remain puzzled at what Will Perry has done to tick off voters; he's been the most consistent and most productive offensive UNC player behind Gray this year. He has sky high point totals, great shooting percentage, and one of the lowest turnover totals you'll see out of a first line middle. Too many people voting are going off of past rep or dinging him because his game doesn't translate as well to the pros; they saw Cook and Anderson drafted in the PLL and just assume they must be better even though on the field this year he's been the guy.

on perry... i've seen him as a bit of a one trick pony before this year. he did more and has scored clutch goals. but he doesn't get a pole and not a big dodger, anderson does a lot and he and cook draw tough assignments. a great midfield trio, and what'll happen is they'll draw votes from each other. if there were only 2 of them, it may be a 1st and 2nd team. or one guy, maybe he's up for middie of the year.

Not a lot of outstanding middies this season. Look at Currier’s 2017 stat line.....I thought Schellenberger had a great year.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:43 pm

Not a lot of outstanding middies this season. Look at Currier’s 2017 stat line.....I thought Schellenberger had a great year.
not really fair. currier was the best player in the country.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:46 pm

He was only a second team AA.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:54 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:46 pm

He was only a second team AA.
That tells you all you need to know about these AA lists
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I remain puzzled at what Will Perry has done to tick of voters; he's been the most consistent and most productive offensive UNC player behind Gray this year. He has sky high point totals, great shooting percentage, and one of the lowest turnover totals you'll see out of a first line middle. Too many people voting are going off of past rep or dinging him because his game doesn't translate as well to the pros; they saw Cook and Anderson drafted in the PLL and just assume they must be better even though on the field this year he's been the guy.
Yeah, that last game was rough at 36% vs UVA...but if it was included, I'd have a tough time putting him at #1, given Entenmann being higher % down the stretch. On the other hand, Entenmann went 37% against UVA back earlier in the season, so it all comes down to me as to who faced the toughest competition. That said, you're certainly right that he's neck and neck and I'd have named him #1 absent that final game, for sure. Terrific year.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

rolldodge wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:31 pm
HU34 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:44 pm

My guess is there are ties in the voting?
Good bet...that said, it does seem to be a much longer list overall than in decades past.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

List is always this big. There are lots of guys who still didn't get on there that are very deserving
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Once again.. KMartin & Ketch got screwed... deserved 2nd & 3rd team respectively... ;)
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

This is apparently the first year since 1945 where no JHU player has appeared on this list. That's a long time. Amazing. And depressing.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”