COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

Post by DocBarrister »

44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:44 pm It says a lot about a boss when his reaction to a problem is "Whom can I scapegoat?"
Practically part of the job description for any “boss”. Even some of the best bosses I have had scapegoated someone at some time.

“Gotta Serve Somebody” by Bob Dylan

You may be an ambassador to England or France
You may like to gamble, you might like to dance
You may be the heavyweight champion of the world
You may be a socialite with a long string of pearls

But you're gonna have to serve somebody, yes
Indeed you're gonna have to serve somebody
Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord
But you're gonna have to serve somebody

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
KingPrat

Post by KingPrat »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:55 am
well, Pressler did run a team which thought it was a-ok to hire a stripper for a party held off-campus by the lax team (rape charges were bogus, but there was indeed an underlying issue). DeLuca, apparently, had more than just the hazing matter contribute to his firing, though that may well have been the precipitating event. Having seen his 'style' a few years later, it was not surprising to hear there was a real problem. Both guys have rebounded.
If you think a team throwing a party off-campus is a sign of team cultural issues, then I have bad news for you...

While personally not a fan, I can assure you that if a college campus is close to a strip club, it is frequented by the lax guys...

I have heard similar about DeLuca, but never really got too much more insight.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

KingPrat wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:14 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:55 am
well, Pressler did run a team which thought it was a-ok to hire a stripper for a party held off-campus by the lax team (rape charges were bogus, but there was indeed an underlying issue). DeLuca, apparently, had more than just the hazing matter contribute to his firing, though that may well have been the precipitating event. Having seen his 'style' a few years later, it was not surprising to hear there was a real problem. Both guys have rebounded.
If you think a team throwing a party off-campus is a sign of team cultural issues, then I have bad news for you...

While personally not a fan, I can assure you that if a college campus is close to a strip club, it is frequented by the lax guys...

I have heard similar about DeLuca, but never really got too much more insight.
hmmm, well let's just say that I grew up in a pretty hedonistic, permissive era, the '70's,...and we sure as heck never frequented any strip clubs as a lax team, much less hired a stripper to a party at the frat or local house. I'm sure individuals did, heck I remember going to The Block as an 18 year old and certainly we saw some of the hiring of strippers at various bachelor parties during the post graduation years...but not as a lax team.

No, throwing a lax party off campus doesn't disturb me, including with the underage drinking, hopefully close enough that guys could walk, not drive. I lost a friend during my freshman year to a drunk driving incident...terrific player, down at W&L...very tragic. We all did dumb stuff, me included. I remember being a bit shocked though when after a game at Navy we got to the bus and there were stacks and stacks of beer cases for the bus ride back to Hanover...would have been more fun if we'd won the game!

My son's team certainly threw their share of parties, well known as the best such on campus, though that was limited to dorm room capabilities...certainly no strippers! Plenty of cute girls though. I mean seriously, strippers?

Let's just say that it was very clear to me when it was revealed that a stripper had been hired that these guys either had too much money or too much arrogance, or likely both, to not realize that it was going to be a huge problem if ever known. Come on, seniors...really, really dumb...it's not as if sports teams don't know they're a target on any of these campuses.

But if kids and coaches didn't know before, they sure as heck knew after that incident...and yet we still have these hazing incidents and other stupidity. Yeah, I know, we were all dumb too.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:32 pm
My son's team certainly threw their share of parties, well known as the best such on campus, though that was limited to dorm room capabilities...certainly no strippers! Plenty of cute girls though.
WOAH! Your son sounds like a really cool dude. Thanks for sharing.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Why do you think hiring strippers is such a bad thing? We all know you would love them. There's no need to keep up this puritanical facade :lol:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

BigTom5 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:27 pm
My son's team certainly threw their share of parties, well known as the best such on campus, though that was limited to dorm room capabilities...certainly no strippers! Plenty of cute girls though.
hah...did you not have cute girls come to your lax parties? :D
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

10 10 2 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:30 pm Why do you think hiring strippers is such a bad thing? We all know you would love them. There's no need to keep up this puritanical facade :lol:
:D
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

BigTom5 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:27 pm
:lol:
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:08 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:44 pm It says a lot about a boss when his reaction to a problem is "Whom can I scapegoat?"
Practically part of the job description for any “boss”. Even some of the best bosses I have had scapegoated someone at some time.

for those that are not a boss/owner/manager

Positively 4th Street - Dylan
I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes
And just for that one moment I could be you
Yes, I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes
You'd know what a drag it is to see you
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

D1 Full-time Assistants *Updated 7/30*

Binghamton (defense, vacated by Larry Kline)
Boston U. (defense, vacated by Max Silberlicht - Filled by Judd Lattimore, BU Volunteer)
Cleveland State (defense, vacated by Matt Bertrams - Filled by Trey Keeley, D3 Baldwin Wallace Head Coach)
Colgate (offense, vacated by Chris Cooper)
Delaware (defense, vacated by Noah Fossner - Filled by Trey Wilkes, UDel Volunteer)
Hampton (defense, hasn't been filled since Chazz Woodson arrived)
Hartford (offense, vacated by Corey Bulkin)
Holy Cross (offense, vacated by Ian Farley - Filled By Chris Harren, Michigan Volunteer)
LIU (defense, vacated by Jack Runkel - Filled by Logan Greco, Richmond Volunteer)
Manhattan (offense, vacated by Dave Fraboni - Filled by Doug Sage, D3 Drew U Head Coach)
Marquette (offense, vacated by Peet Poillon - Filled by Bo Lori, Ohio State Volunteer)
Mount St. Mary’s (offense, vacated by Erik Holt)
Penn State (defense, vacated by Peter Toner - Filled by Mike Murphy, former Colgate Head Coach)
St. John's (defense, vacated by Terry Mangan)
Syracuse (defense, vacated by Lelan Rogers - Filled by Dave Pietramala)
Wagner (offense, vacated by JT Forkin)

D2/D3 Notable Head Coach Openings
D2 UTampa (Filled by JB Clarke, Limestone HC)
D3 Amherst
D3 Denison (Filled by Eric Koch, Washington & Lee Associate HC)
D3 Gettysburg (Filled by Peter Toner, Penn State Associate HC)
118:24 #HHH
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Homer wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:56 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:55 am If the team indeed stone walled the Administration on the event, that may well have been a culture issue and that would have fallen on Thompson.
If the team perceived the investigation to have been undertaken in bad faith, driven by the desire to reach a predetermined result and uninterested in actual fact-finding that might contradict the then-assumed version of events, then they were amply justified in not cooperating.

I'm not saying that's what happened -- there's no way to know. But in light of the known circumstances, it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

They still had to know it'd be held against them, of course. But I wouldn't assume that any stonewalling that took place was just bro omerta. The crucial point, if reports are true, is that Amherst's own individual disciplinary process eventually, quietly, found the players involved responsible for only a very minor offense. Nothing like what'd surely have been imposed if the fact-finders had been persuaded of the story as originally reported.

In which case, "taking responsibility" in the way the Administration wanted might've meant signing onto a (potentially false) narrative of events that'd have undercut their teammates' later attempts to present their own more exculpatory account of what really happened. The very opposite of a "culture issue" if they resisted that temptation, IMO.
A very fair point, well expressed.
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

D1 Head Coach Openings *Updated 8/4*
Utah (vacated by Brian Holman)

D1 Full-time Assistants Openings

Binghamton (defense, vacated by Larry Kline)
Boston U. (defense, vacated by Max Silberlicht - Filled by Judd Lattimore, BU Volunteer)
Cleveland State (defense, vacated by Matt Bertrams - Filled by Trey Keeley, D3 Baldwin Wallace Head Coach)
Colgate (offense, vacated by Chris Cooper)
Delaware (defense, vacated by Noah Fossner - Filled by Trey Wilkes, UDel Volunteer)
Hampton (defense, hasn't been filled since Chazz Woodson arrived)
Hartford (offense, vacated by Corey Bulkin)
Holy Cross (offense, vacated by Ian Farley - Filled By Chris Harren, Michigan Volunteer)
LIU (defense, vacated by Jack Runkel - Filled by Logan Greco, Richmond Volunteer)
Manhattan (offense, vacated by Dave Fraboni - Filled by Doug Sage, D3 Drew U Head Coach)
Marquette (offense, vacated by Peet Poillon - Filled by Bo Lori, Ohio State Volunteer)
Mount St. Mary’s (offense, vacated by Erik Holt)
Penn State (defense, vacated by Peter Toner - Filled by Mike Murphy, former Colgate Head Coach)
St. John's (defense, vacated by Terry Mangan)
Syracuse (defense, vacated by Lelan Rogers - Filled by Dave Pietramala)
Wagner (offense, vacated by JT Forkin)

D2/D3 Notable Head Coach Openings
D2 UTampa (Filled by JB Clarke, Limestone HC)
D3 Amherst
D3 Denison (Filled by Eric Koch, Washington & Lee Associate HC)
D3 Gettysburg (Filled by Peter Toner, Penn State Associate HC)
118:24 #HHH
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

cuseman4133 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:02 pm D1 Head Coach Openings *Updated 8/4*
Utah (vacated by Brian Holman)
Wonder if Petro would have been a candidate had he not just taken the Cuse assistant job. Heck, he still might be one if they hire an interim and then put in a permanent replacement next summer. I don't think Petro would bail on Cuse now, but if Utah came calling in May/June he'd probably be receptive. Not sure it qualifies as a big time program but it's certainly a program at a big time school. Would be reminiscent of Tierney going to Denver.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jersey shore lax wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:02 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:08 pm

for those that are not a boss/owner/manager

Positively 4th Street - Dylan
I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes
And just for that one moment I could be you
Yes, I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes
You'd know what a drag it is to see you
This is the same guy who took “extreme poetic license” in The Hurricane were talking about correct?
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:27 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:24 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:16 pm ADs don’t want to hear about problems from a non revenue generating sport. I know a major D1 program that had a 9:00 player curfew. AD had hands full with BCS football….nobody wanted a phone call from the lacrosse or soccer coach. One of the lax coaches that “got a raw deal” is a 1 strike and you are out type guy, unless you start. He doesn’t have time for foolishness.
....which explains why lax coaches are thrown under the bus so quickly.
yep....as I posted earlier, a top rated d1 coach told me "we put our family livelihoods in the hands of kids under 22".
Could go get a job in the real world and see how that works out vs exploiting parents for a paycheck?
See Martin, Malcolm
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:44 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:16 pm ADs don’t want to hear about problems from a non revenue generating sport. I know a major D1 program that had a 9:00 player curfew. AD had hands full with BCS football….nobody wanted a phone call from the lacrosse or soccer coach. One of the lax coaches that “got a raw deal” is a 1 strike and you are out type guy, unless you start. He doesn’t have time for foolishness.
yep....as I posted earlier, a top rated d1 coach told me "we put our family livelihoods in the hands of kids under 22".
Could go get a job in the real world and see how that works out vs exploiting parents for a paycheck?
??? How are college coaches exploiting parents?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:07 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:49 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:44 pm
Usually coaches get some wiggle room but a few incidents is all it takes. Not worth the headache. I believe Amherst had a series of issues. Lax coach in a bad spot at the wrong time….. isn’t the first and won’t be the last. His replacement didn’t work out either….. seems to me Amherst is in 0 defects mode.
Still have not learned what 'actually' happened with RD at Amherst....craziness.
Lacrosse is a minor sport. These schools don’t have the time or the patience for foolishness if that’s what it amounts to. You know how you know these sports are minor? Did a football or basketball coach sell slots to families?
A Hobart alum did for the sailing team at Stanford!
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:58 am
Prioritizing w/l and the extracurricular known as sports in order to preserve and maintain their own paycheck when the primary purpose of attending college is education. This is coming from a person who played two sports in college not some fan in the band in the cheap seats either.

Ever heard a story of kids who couldn’t take lab classes because it conflicted with their practice schedule? Or a million other similar distractions away from education that aren’t fully necessary. I’d argue that actively recruiting transfers and even like where Shay and some others would tell kids to commit somewhere under early recruiting to take their name off the list but they could come back later to yale. That also screws the other school, impacts their yield, etc.

If you think college coaches are above reproach and don’t put their job in front of their kids at all then we’re at a very deep divide. Nobody is saying all of them but more out their own interest in front of their kids on various levels more often than I think you believe.
See Martin, Malcolm
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:14 am
Prioritizing w/l and the extracurricular known as sports in order to preserve and maintain their own paycheck when the primary purpose of attending college is education. This is coming from a person who played two sports in college not some fan in the band in the cheap seats either.

Ever heard a story of kids who couldn’t take lab classes because it conflicted with their practice schedule? Or a million other similar distractions away from education that aren’t fully necessary. I’d argue that actively recruiting transfers and even like where Shay and some others would tell kids to commit somewhere under early recruiting to take their name off the list but they could come back later to yale. That also screws the other school, impacts their yield, etc.

If you think college coaches are above reproach and don’t put their job in front of their kids at all then we’re at a very deep divide. Nobody is saying all of them but more out their own interest in front of their kids on various levels more often than I think you believe.
Oh I agree. Its a double edged sword when the Admin and Alum turn the screws on coaching based on their w/l record. We all know of the engineering kids that have to pick by spring soph year if they can continue playing. Heard stories of UVA and JHU doing the same...steering them towards more balanced times.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:24 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:14 am

Oh I agree. Its a double edged sword when the Admin and Alum turn the screws on coaching based on their w/l record. We all know of the engineering kids that have to pick by spring soph year if they can continue playing. Heard stories of UVA and JHU doing the same...steering them towards more balanced times.
I’m not letting admin at colleges off the hook here I just view college as a controlled environment, not the real world, and folks who’s careers are built inside it are akin to my sister moving to the Bay Area 30 or so years ago and having been completely clouded by the local mentality (my nephew who graduated from a small OR school called Linfield College 2yrs ago told me during graduation how he was learning how much broader the world is than their area and that until a year earlier, at 21, he used to think the country was 50% LGBTQ and only recently realized that probably wasn’t the case). So is putting ones “livelihood” in the hands of 22yr old kids and doofus administrators but in a non profit employment world with many benefits the private sector writ large doesnt offer better than egomaniacs bosses who would sell you out for an extra 2% in their bonus and your at the mercy of all sorts of exogenous forces that make less sense than a bunch of 22yr olds.
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”