COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
camskidamski

COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

Post by camskidamski »

Any notable jobs we think are in jeopardy/any coaches to be on the move? I know it is a hard judgment year with COVID but still some names to kick around I bet.
Henpecked

Re: COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

Post by Henpecked »

I cannot think of a coach that is going to be fired. But I do think there will be a couple coaches considering retirement after this trying year.

We will probably have to wait a couple weeks before that happens.
Last edited by Henpecked on Wed May 12, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

St. John's, maybe?

There are several coaches I can think of whose jobs, all things being equal, would probably be in jeopardy based on poor performance. But that would actually require administrations to care enough to make the change. Many of them are just happy if the lax team is staying out of the headlines and not draining the school's finances. Winning and losing is much further down the list of concerns.

One of these days Dino is going to retire and the Duke sweepstakes will begin, but the word seems to be not for another few years. Still loves coaching.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Dino Desko Pressler and Cannella all are due to retire sometime soon.

Anyone wonder if OSU would look sideways at Myers? They let Breschi hang out forever but different time.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:32 pm Dino Desko Pressler and Cannella all are due to retire sometime soon.

Anyone wonder if OSU would look sideways at Myers? They let Breschi hang out forever but different time.
Cannella is only 56 years old. He has a long way to go. But, I would add Bill Tierney to that list. He is 68.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hasn’t Cannella been there since the mid 90s? Thought he was in his 60s
See Martin, Malcolm
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

I think there will be relatively little movement this year among head coaches. The HC's in the ACC, Big East, B1G, CAA, IVY, NEC, Patriot, SoCon are either new or well-established. To a slightly lesser extent, the same holds true in the America East and MAAC.

I wondered what would become of Desko after the Scanlan reinstatement but the Inside Lacrosse article paints a better picture.

Outside of the Hartford guys, it's hard to see any obvious angles.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Shouldn't we retitle this post as "Where Might Petro End Up?"
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:38 pm Hasn’t Cannella been there since the mid 90s? Thought he was in his 60s
Coach isn’t going anywhere, anytime soon... But Doc will most likely take the reigns from there. They keep it in the family in Amherst
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

That’s interesting. Have Jack Reed be his D coordinator?
See Martin, Malcolm
xcoach

Post by xcoach »

Henpecked wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:37 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:32 pm Dino Desko Pressler and Cannella all are due to retire sometime soon.

Cannella is only 56 years old. He has a long way to go. But, I would add Bill Tierney to that list. He is 68.
Bill Tierney is 70, and showing zero signs of slowing down. As he once told me, "Better players make you younger!" Dino is more on top of his game than ever. Cannella is going nowhere. If not for COVID, UMass would have been a major player in the FF discussion, IMHO.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Tierney -

Unless Wikipedia has it wrong, Tierney is 68. Will be 69 this September.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Henpecked wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:22 am https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Tierney -

Unless Wikipedia has it wrong, Tierney is 68. Will be 69 this September.
And still as big of a lunatic as ever on the sidelines, lol
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

I think we will have a better idea of the job landscape mid way through the Tourney..... Im sure a few schools are reassessing finances due to covid before they make any decisions.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Tierney signed an extension a couple years ago that keeps him at Denver through 2024. At that point I think you can begin the retirement discussion. But sounds like at least three more seasons for him.

Dino is 67, but still coaches like he's 40, so his son/Caputo/Chemotti/etc. are going to have to wait a while longer.

Barring something extremely unforeseen, there aren't really any other coaches of major programs that are on the hot seat (because of performance OR age). I suppose there's a nonzero chance Cuse shows Desko the door but I wouldn't bet on it.

I don't think Nick Myers is in any imminent danger but the Buckeyes haven't made an NCAA tournament since 2017. Probably should start to think about changing that soon.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:51 am Tierney signed an extension a couple years ago that keeps him at Denver through 2024. At that point I think you can begin the retirement discussion. But sounds like at least three more seasons for him.

Dino is 67, but still coaches like he's 40, so his son/Caputo/Chemotti/etc. are going to have to wait a while longer.

Barring something extremely unforeseen, there aren't really any other coaches of major programs that are on the hot seat (because of performance OR age). I suppose there's a nonzero chance Cuse shows Desko the door but I wouldn't bet on it.

I don't think Nick Myers is in any imminent danger but the Buckeyes haven't made an NCAA tournament since 2017. Probably should start to think about changing that soon.
crazy ohio st has struggled with some top flight canadians and all those u-19 guys.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Desko on his future in 2022: "As far as I'm concerned that decisions already been made and that's what I want to do...if it's up to me I'm coming back."

https://twitter.com/thejuiceonline/stat ... 78433?s=12
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

AreaLax wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:57 am
Desko on his future in 2022: "As far as I'm concerned that decisions already been made and that's what I want to do...if it's up to me I'm coming back."

https://twitter.com/thejuiceonline/stat ... 78433?s=12
That doesn't sound like a guy who's 100% confident in his security
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Petro did the LaxWorm podcast on Friday. He stated the wants a power 5 job as HC or assistant
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Probably should have just taken the Michigan job 4 years ago tbh.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”