Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Catbird

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by Catbird »

Henpecked wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:29 am Not a lot of talk about Jonathan Peshko.
shh! ;)
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:26 am
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:34 am It is certainly a valid opinion to think Grimes is better up top and on the wings where his outside shooting can make a difference. Also a valid opinion to say he should never leave the field. For me, it comes down to whether Chauvette/Charboneau/Maher etc. can be effective. If so, they may bring a dodging element that can make Grimes even more effetive - we'll see. Everyone will likely not be happy with the decision - nature of the beat - but I think PM and JR will make a good call.
I'm in the camp of keeping him on the field. The offensive patterns can provide plenty of opportunities to work from above the goal line, but I'd want my very best offensive talents on the field with as many touches as possible.
I'm confident this staff will get the best out of Grimes. It is less about A vs M, and more about getting him into spots where he can score. Don't forget that at the beginning of last year, he was at A on the left wing and really didn't produce anything (with the caveats that he hadn't played in 2 years, no fall practice, etc). Moving him to M made him far more of an off-ball threat and allowed him to sweep dodge from up top, and his production went up. He, and the rest of the offense, should also benefit from having multiple shooters (especially guys that are a threat from 10yds+) on the field at any given time. For most of last year, Degnon was the only real threat. Now with the emergence of Grimes and Peshko, and the addition of Maher and Chauvette, there should be a lot more options.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

primitiveskills wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:02 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:34 am It is certainly a valid opinion to think Grimes is better up top and on the wings where his outside shooting can make a difference. Also a valid opinion to say he should never leave the field. For me, it comes down to whether Chauvette/Charboneau/Maher etc. can be effective. If so, they may bring a dodging element that can make Grimes even more effetive - we'll see. Everyone will likely not be happy with the decision - nature of the beat - but I think PM and JR will make a good call.
I'm in the camp of keeping him on the field. The offensive patterns can provide plenty of opportunities to work from above the goal line, but I'd want my very best offensive talents on the field with as many touches as possible.
I'm confident this staff will get the best out of Grimes. It is less about A vs M, and more about getting him into spots where he can score. Don't forget that at the beginning of last year, he was at A on the left wing and really didn't produce anything (with the caveats that he hadn't played in 2 years, no fall practice, etc). Moving him to M made him far more of an off-ball threat and allowed him to sweep dodge from up top, and his production went up. He, and the rest of the offense, should also benefit from having multiple shooters (especially guys that are a threat from 10yds+) on the field at any given time. For most of last year, Degnon was the only real threat. Now with the emergence of Grimes and Peshko, and the addition of Maher and Chauvette, there should be a lot more options.
No disagreement, I simply think I want my top 3 offensive threats on the field at all times, with as many touches as possible, both set and in transition. That usually means "attack" unless a player has such unusually midfield-specific skill sets that playing 50% of the time is better than 100%.

Certainly we've seen such cases, but I just don't see Grimes as being that sort of player as he develops. If he was projected as the 4th best attack threat, then I'd say differently as he does have the physicality to run midfield. I agree re Peshko, he could have a big year.

Patterns are an entirely different matter. Plenty easy to work him to the right spots.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

get it to x wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:00 am
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:34 am
The article didn't even talk about who will warm up the goalie.
This has now taken on a life of it's own. Will the B1G Network have pregame goalie warmup highlights?

Article also didn't mention Grimes played a lot of midfield on the u-19 team.
Is anyone going to the denver scrimmage?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:36 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:02 pm
No disagreement, I simply think I want my top 3 offensive threats on the field at all times, with as many touches as possible, both set and in transition. That usually means "attack" unless a player has such unusually midfield-specific skill sets that playing 50% of the time is better than 100%.

Certainly we've seen such cases, but I just don't see Grimes as being that sort of player as he develops. If he was projected as the 4th best attack threat, then I'd say differently as he does have the physicality to run midfield. I agree re Peshko, he could have a big year.

Patterns are an entirely different matter. Plenty easy to work him to the right spots.
I can see both Peshko and Grimes (among others) having breakout seasons.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:04 pm Is anyone going to the denver scrimmage?
I almost wish Hopkins wasn't going to the Denver scrimmage given they have a real game the following week. Anecdotally, I seem to know more than a few people that have returned from CO and UT recently with more than just a new ski sweater.

Anyone have an angle on the TV/streaming situation?
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:21 am
I almost wish Hopkins wasn't going to the Denver scrimmage given they have a real game the following week. Anecdotally, I seem to know more than a few people that have returned from CO and UT recently with more than just a new ski sweater.

Neither team would allow for any scrimmage to be streamed
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:09 pm Almost nothing in here about personnel. Lists Narewski as an important returner but no mention of his injury. Mentions Fernandez as a key addition, but only other real discussion of the team is about DeSo, Epstein, and Grimes.

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... opkins-men

"Enemy Lines" section is always interesting...opposing coaches seem to think highly of how the team looked at the end of last season. One thing that one coach brings up, which 51 has called attention to before: " The one thing I was really impressed with them was, maybe there were some early-season losses where they could have hung their head. I don’t think you saw a team that hung its head. They just kept getting better."
Interesting part of the article:
"Milliman is excited to experience the pageantry that comes with it. His debut season came in 2021, when the Blue Jays finished 4-9 in front of mostly parents (and no pep band). He hopes to see his team progress in 2022 in front of a packed Homewood Field, a staple in the Baltimore lacrosse scene."

I think if he wins some big early games he may be looking at some packed houses when the weather gets warmer.
Such a hard season to predict. Do they pick up where they left off last year, or still trying to figure things out, moving players around, juggling the lineup etc?
The early schedule is brutal: Georgetown, Loyola, NC, UVA, SU on consecutive weekends. Maybe catch some of these teams before they start to gel and get lucky. This team is going to need a lot of luck.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:21 am

My initial thought was the same, but I actually think the average college student is less likely to catch Covid traveling than they would be if they were to stay on campus that weekend and go to parties and bars and whatever else it is they do. At least the trip will be relatively self-contained and surpervised, and I'm sure they'll be masked up during the flight. The good news is, everyone on the team is vaxed and boosted and I'm sure a bunch of them have gotten Covid already as well.

The school sent out another email to affiliates yesterday. The gist was that they're adding a few more additional protocols but they're committed to an in-person semester:
We continue to look forward to the beginning of the spring semester on Jan. 24 and are working to resume a broad range of in-person academic, research, and other activities as safely as possible. Two years into the pandemic, we know the strain on our community is great and that coming together in person is vitally important to the well-being and progress of our students in particular. As always, we are carefully considering how best to sustain the safe environment we’ve been able to create on our campuses throughout the pandemic.

As you know, the data suggest that omicron is more easily transmissible than other variants of the COVID virus and that it progresses more quickly but typically results in less severe illness and fewer hospitalizations—particularly among those who have been fully vaccinated, including booster doses. Those characteristics, as well as the near universal rate of vaccination within our community, make the surge we are experiencing now different from the one we faced a year ago.
https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/messages-and- ... fe-spring/
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

courtdog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:01 am Neither team would allow for any scrimmage to be streamed
Sorry - didn't differentiate enough - I really couldn't care less about the scrimmage except to hear no one got hurt seriously. I was wondering about the regular season. ESPNU/ESPN+/BIG/BIG+/ Yada Yada Yada - probably lots of one time purchases along the way.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Home games should still be on ESPN, either on ESPNU or streaming on the app.

Away B1G games should be on BTN or BTN+. Away games at UVA and UNC should be on ACC Network, which you get through the ESPN app.

That already accounts for 11 of 14 regular season games. The uncertainties are:
1) at Towson
2) at Georgetown
3) at Delaware

Since none of those fall under any existing agreements with ESPN, ACCN, or BTN.

Lax Sports Network has broadcast CAA games (Towson, Delaware) in the past, including our last trip to Johnny Unitas, which no one wants to remember. But I don't know if they're doing that again this year. Big East teams (GTown) will occasionally get a game on CBS Sports Network or Fox Sports but it doesn't seem to be very consistent so there's no telling which ones get picked for that. Might just have to hope those three schools have their own decent-quality streams.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:48 pm Home games should still be on ESPN, either on ESPNU or streaming on the app.

Away B1G games should be on BTN or BTN+. Away games at UVA and UNC should be on ACC Network, which you get through the ESPN app.

1) at Towson
2) at Georgetown
3) at Delaware

Lax Sports Network has broadcast CAA games (Towson, Delaware) in the past, including our last trip to Johnny Unitas, which no one wants to remember. But I don't know if they're doing that again this year. Big East teams (GTown) will occasionally get a game on CBS Sports Network or Fox Sports but it doesn't seem to be very consistent so there's no telling which ones get picked for that. Might just have to hope those three schools have their own decent-quality streams.
The Delaware game is on a Sunday night for some reason. This leads me to believe it might be on BTN. They’ve televised on Sunday nights in recent years. Who knows? I’ll be there in person so I don’t care.

All Delaware home games are covered by LSN or BlueHens.com/YouTube.

Hopefully, it’s a fun game. The last one in 2019 at Homewood surely was.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Henpecked wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:46 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:48 pm Home games should still be on ESPN, either on ESPNU or streaming on the app.

1) at Towson
2) at Georgetown
3) at Delaware

The Delaware game is on a Sunday night for some reason. This leads me to believe it might be on BTN. They’ve televised on Sunday nights in recent years. Who knows? I’ll be there in person so I don’t care.

Since it’s at Delaware I’d be very surprised if it’s on BTN. Can’t recall BTN ever airing an OOC road game for a B1G school
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:20 pm

1) at Towson
2) at Georgetown
3) at Delaware

Since it’s at Delaware I’d be very surprised if it’s on BTN. Can’t recall BTN ever airing an OOC road game for a B1G school
I was thinking the same thing about BTN not televising an away game. But there’s no other reason for this game to be held on a Sunday night. I’ve attended games in Newark for thirty years and not a single one on a Sunday night. I guess we’ll see. TV schedules have to be released soon.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Henpecked wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:12 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:20 pm

1) at Towson
2) at Georgetown
3) at Delaware

I was thinking the same thing about BTN not televising an away game. But there’s no other reason for this game to be held on a Sunday night. I’ve attended games in Newark for thirty years and not a single one on a Sunday night. I guess we’ll see. TV schedules have to be released soon.
If its Lax Sports Net,

you want Davey Emala doing color.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:41 am Image
Testing asymptomatic individuals twice weekly??
Why?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

So we can have really good data on the false positive and false negative rates of various tests?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:47 am So we can have really good data on the false positive and false negative rates of various tests?
Yeah, twice weekly testing of asymptomatics does nothing aside from producing some cool data for the state, the CDC, and probably some folks at the School of Public Health to play with. At the expense of significant disruption for the inevitable false positives. In the setting of high full vaccination rates (including booster), it really does very little to keep the campus safe, if you define safe by people actually getting (seriously) sick.

To add: the really valuable role of surveillance at this point is earler detection of new variants, but you are not going to get that simply from antigen testing in such a small population (JHU students, faculty, staff).
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

is there really a downside here? if the idea is to prevent restrictions to the college community, wouldn't you want any isolated cases identified? i'm fairly sure they will have positives take a 2nd and maybe 3rd test to confirm.

i'm also gonna guess the sports teams already do this. and as long as we're in cancel-games- mode, if you can identify one or 2 guys before that becomes 8, wouldn't any hopkins fans want those games to have a greater likelihood of not being postponed or cancelled (and/or not have a half dozen starters out)?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”