D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sagittarius A*

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Exactly one month until the first game.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Tough not to get excited seeing this. Feels like forever since May 2021...Ready for a new season.

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 7020810242
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

If you can't beat them, join them. (after you graduate, as a volunteer assistant): https://goduke.com/news/2022/1/6/mens-l ... staff.aspx

BTW, Maher is practicing. Narewski is not.

The team's social media/video game has been elevated with the hiring of Grayson Jons who is a great photographer/videographer/digital creator, would encourage all to follow on Instagram
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:13 pm If you can't beat them, join them. (after you graduate, as a volunteer assistant): https://goduke.com/news/2022/1/6/mens-l ... staff.aspx

BTW, Maher is practicing. Narewski is not.

The team's social media/video game has been elevated with the hiring of Grayson Jons who is a great photographer/videographer/digital creator, would encourage all to follow on Instagram
Just the latest of Hopkins alumni joining the coaching ranks.

Impressive!

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Almost nothing in here about personnel. Lists Narewski as an important returner but no mention of his injury. Mentions Fernandez as a key addition, but only other real discussion of the team is about DeSo, Epstein, and Grimes.

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... opkins-men

"Enemy Lines" section is always interesting...opposing coaches seem to think highly of how the team looked at the end of last season. One thing that one coach brings up, which 51 has called attention to before: " The one thing I was really impressed with them was, maybe there were some early-season losses where they could have hung their head. I don’t think you saw a team that hung its head. They just kept getting better."
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:09 pm Almost nothing in here about personnel. Lists Narewski as an important returner but no mention of his injury. Mentions Fernandez as a key addition, but only other real discussion of the team is about DeSo, Epstein, and Grimes.

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... opkins-men

"Enemy Lines" section is always interesting...opposing coaches seem to think highly of how the team looked at the end of last season. One thing that one coach brings up, which 51 has called attention to before: " The one thing I was really impressed with them was, maybe there were some early-season losses where they could have hung their head. I don’t think you saw a team that hung its head. They just kept getting better."
-part about fernandez got cut off
-no news about fresh injuries or transfers or withdrawals from the team (good news)
-down to only 2 true underclassmen defensemen which has to be a record. I guess they really believe in the juniors or missed out on kids. Probably fair to say we'll have more defense transfers in next fall.
-No mention of the goalie carousel which has been turning for years.
-height wise probably the biggest roster we've had since 12-13
-prouty has to be the most experienced backup fogo in the country.
-If the second midfield lives up to its building it should supplant the first one quickly. After 2-3 years I just don't have faith in angelus/keough as a consistent quarter to quarter duo. We know degnon can deliver.
-Other sports at Hopkins are playing again which is great to see as well.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Could have hung their head? - could have thrown in the towel - not to mention the dagger of losing to Maryland in the final minute and then playing well against Penn State and Rutgers

COVID makes the under upperclassmen distinction a little more difficult - Rodgers has not played a second and with a medical redshirt could still have 4 years of eligibiity. Todaro is a freshman - Ruddy and Szuluk are both potentially sophomores in terms of eligibility. Smith is a true sophomore. SO that's 5 with at least 3 years of eligibility - 4 defensive recruits next year including 2 four stars. So that's 9 names with theroretically minimum of 2 years of eligibility. How many people can play defense? For some odd reason if you get a shot at a star transfer with a couple years of eligibility left then you should consider it. Otherwise - Should not be an issue.

I like Angelus alot - had a few more turnovers than you would like but given 2020 - last year was his first real complete season 12 and 12 is essentially 2 points a game AND for all the crowing about fall scrimmages - he appeared to me to be the most impressive player out of virtually anyone. Keogh is simply a matter of health - maybe this is the year we get lucky. The questions really become that if Evans/Phillips/Raposo/Bauer are ready to play - how do you find time for them?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:27 pm After 2-3 years I just don't have faith in angelus/keough as a consistent quarter to quarter duo.
As the...5th(?) option in the offense last season behind Deso, Epstein, Williams, Degnon, he had 2+ pts in 8/13 games and in 4 of the 5 final games including goals in each of the last 4. That was in his first full season not to mention he was a high school attackman playing a new position. There is absolutely no basis whatsoever for questioning his "quarter to quarter" consistency — whatever that even means. Kid is good player, has consistently produced in his role through the first 19 games of his career and probably hasn't hit his ceiling yet. It simply astounds how you always manage to ruin what might have been an otherwise decent post by throwing in a bonecrushingly bad take like that.

The big storylines headed into Feb that the article completed missed:

- Goalie competition
- Third starting attack spot
- Narewski's health

Those are the three biggest uncertainties. There is always a surprise or two but for the most part we know who else is probably going to play offense. We don't know exactly what mix of poles will be out there to start but we know they'll be drawn from Lyne/Szuluk/McManus/Jennings/Fernandez/Smith/Deans/and Rodgers if fall ball was any hint. Same deal for the shorties.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:47 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:27 pm After 2-3 years I just don't have faith in angelus/keough as a consistent quarter to quarter duo.
As the...5th(?) option in the offense last season behind Deso, Epstein, Williams, Degnon, he had 2+ pts in 8/13 games and in 4 of the 5 final games including goals in each of the last 4. That was in his first full season not to mention he was a high school attackman playing a new position. There is absolutely no basis whatsoever for questioning his "quarter to quarter" consistency — whatever that even means. Kid is good player, has consistently produced in his role through the first 19 games of his career and probably hasn't hit his ceiling yet. It simply astounds how you always manage to ruin what might have been an otherwise decent post by throwing in a bonecrushingly bad take like that.

The big storylines headed into Feb that the article completed missed:

- Goalie competition
- Third starting attack spot
- Narewski's health

Those are the three biggest uncertainties. There is always a surprise or two but for the most part we know who else is probably going to play offense. We don't know exactly what mix of poles will be out there to start but we know they'll be drawn from Lyne/Szuluk/McManus/Jennings/Fernandez/Smith/Deans/and Rodgers if fall ball was any hint. Same deal for the shorties.
They seem to be pegging Grimes at attack. I could see that, with him also doing a lot of initiating from up top. He doesn't turn the ball over a lot, and he's big and athletic enough to not be too much of a liability if he gets caught on defense. I think he has a chance to make a big leap this year and he should be on the field as much as possible.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

If you printed that article and wrapped your catch from the boat then I guess it would provide some value. I know these guys have to cover a myriad of teams and have relatively few resources but what a useless piece except for maybe the mindset of Milliman. First, the article implies that Grimes will play attack which - if true - would be news but my money is they have no more of an idea and if you think he is playing attack then you should point out that he did not finish the season at attack and played midfield in the scrimmages.

HF 16's list is on top of things - goalie/Narewski's health and the third attack spot are 3 of the biggest questionmarks. I would add the defense as a whole - particularly the absence of experience at LSM - even if Fernandez is healthy - he is coming off his second severe injury. We know who the players' are but can they play? Will Jennings provide value as a one and done? In Rodgers/Smith and Todaro you have 3 Petro recruits - all fairly highly regarded - will any make the leap?

I already know Epstein is a good player and DeSimone had a breakout year compared to prior ones - tell me something I don't know.

The article didn't even talk about who will warm up the goalie.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:34 am
This has now taken on a life of it's own. Will the B1G Network have pregame goalie warmup highlights?

Article also didn't mention Grimes played a lot of midfield on the u-19 team.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

get it to x wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:27 am He doesn't turn the ball over a lot, and he's big and athletic enough to not be too much of a liability if he gets caught on defense.
One reason why he's probably staying at midfield.

And not for nothing, but the kiddie line of Peshko, McDermott, and Grimes really did seem to exhibit preternatural chemistry with each other, especially since they were hastily thrown together halfway through a season in which there was no fall ball and an interrupted preseason. Might be worth seeing what that trio can do with an actual offseason to prepare.

My guess — and it is just a guess — is that Chauvette or Charboneau get some time at the third/lefty attack spot. They really liked Chauvette last year before he got hurt. And Charboneau was handpicked by Junior. Maybe Maher who is back at practice after missing the fall with a foot injury, mixes in there as well. Wouldn't count on the guy who starts there Feb. 5 vs. Jacksonville to be the same one who starts April 23 v. Maryland.

Re: defense, it depends on how you match up against specific teams but more often than not you want at least one lefty out there. That'd favor Jennings who is now also the most experienced defenseman on the team, having logged 34 starts at Providence. Had 6 GBs and 3 CTs across two games vs. Georgetown last year. Had 5 and 1 in two games against them in 2019. So if nothing else I'd expect him to at least have some sort of role against the Hoyas — but probably a lot more than that.

Lyne is likely to start. That leaves one spot which again could be a revolving door of McManus and Szuluk like it was last year, plus some Smith and Rodgers and whoever is left out could get some time at "LSM" next to Fernandez. Todaro missed the entire fall, Jaronski is listed at LSM but pretty much exclusively plays SSDM now, Bowler is banged up, Deans had some moments last year but seemed to fall out of favor as the season went on. So in addition to Fernandez I think we're likely to see someone with a "D" listed next to his name actually play what you'd consider to be "LSM" though once they're all out on the field it doesn't mean much. Faceoff wings is another story — Rodgers was getting a ton of time there in the scrimmages.
lorin

Post by lorin »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:34 am If you printed that article and wrapped your catch from the boat then I guess it would provide some value. I know these guys have to cover a myriad of teams and have relatively few resources but what a useless piece except for maybe the mindset of Milliman. First, the article implies that Grimes will play attack which - if true - would be news but my money is they have no more of an idea and if you think he is playing attack then you should point out that he did not finish the season at attack and played midfield in the scrimmages.

HF 16's list is on top of things - goalie/Narewski's health and the third attack spot are 3 of the biggest questionmarks. I would add the defense as a whole - particularly the absence of experience at LSM - even if Fernandez is healthy - he is coming off his second severe injury. We know who the players' are but can they play? Will Jennings provide value as a one and done? In Rodgers/Smith and Todaro you have 3 Petro recruits - all fairly highly regarded - will any make the leap?

I already know Epstein is a good player and DeSimone had a breakout year compared to prior ones - tell me something I don't know.

Well its seems Hopkins is on Inside Lacrosse every day, Matt Kinnear can you suck up to Lacrosse unlimited owner any more.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

get it to x wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:00 am
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:34 am
This has now taken on a life of it's own. Will the B1G Network have pregame goalie warmup highlights?
Ah, but are you really a serious fan of the game if you don't arrive early enough to see the warm-up?
What I like to see is a goalie who is fluid, not jerky in his movements. The great ones were all smooth and fluid, effortless, and they all wore sweatpants. Back in the day the warmup was active...the coach ran around and worked for his shot like in a real game. Of course Petro's goalies always saw wide open time-and-room-looks so there was no need for an active warmup. Shooters just needed to find their spot and wait for the defense to slide away from them, then no need to rush, time to wave to your parents in the stands before winding up and picking your spot carefully.
There was so much art back in the day. All seemingly lost.....
Where are the cannons of yesteryear?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:25 am
get it to x wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:27 am He doesn't turn the ball over a lot, and he's big and athletic enough to not be too much of a liability if he gets caught on defense.

And not for nothing, but the kiddie line of Peshko, McDermott, and Grimes really did seem to exhibit preternatural chemistry with each other, especially since they were hastily thrown together halfway through a season in which there was no fall ball and an interrupted preseason. Might be worth seeing what that trio can do with an actual offseason to prepare.

My guess — and it is just a guess — is that Chauvette or Charboneau get some time at the third/lefty attack spot. They really liked Chauvette last year before he got hurt. And Charboneau was handpicked by Junior. Maybe Maher who is back at practice after missing the fall with a foot injury, mixes in there as well. Wouldn't count on the guy who starts there Feb. 5 vs. Jacksonville to be the same one who starts April 23 v. Maryland.

Re: defense, it depends on how you match up against specific teams but more often than not you want at least one lefty out there. That'd favor Jennings who is now also the most experienced defenseman on the team, having logged 34 starts at Providence. Had 6 GBs and 3 CTs across two games vs. Georgetown last year. Had 5 and 1 in two games against them in 2019. So if nothing else I'd expect him to at least have some sort of role against the Hoyas — but probably a lot more than that.

Lyne is likely to start. That leaves one spot which again could be a revolving door of McManus and Szuluk like it was last year, plus some Smith and Rodgers and whoever is left out could get some time at "LSM" next to Fernandez. Todaro missed the entire fall, Jaronski is listed at LSM but pretty much exclusively plays SSDM now, Bowler is banged up, Deans had some moments last year but seemed to fall out of favor as the season went on. So in addition to Fernandez I think we're likely to see someone with a "D" listed next to his name actually play what you'd consider to be "LSM" though once they're all out on the field it doesn't mean much. Faceoff wings is another story — Rodgers was getting a ton of time there in the scrimmages.
Not sure where Grimes will play … attack, middie, both … but I would prefer seeing him in that third attack spot. Don’t think he should leave the field, and he just seems like a more natural attackman. Just don’t see the necessity of having him learn defense … a waste of his natural talents, I think.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:28 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:25 am

Not sure where Grimes will play … attack, middie, both … but I would prefer seeing him in that third attack spot. Don’t think he should leave the field, and he just seems like a more natural attackman. Just don’t see the necessity of having him learn defense … a waste of his natural talents, I think.

DocBarrister
He has an outside laser, which Hop needs more of out top. The other top talent is a better fit at attack.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

It is certainly a valid opinion to think Grimes is better up top and on the wings where his outside shooting can make a difference. Also a valid opinion to say he should never leave the field. For me, it comes down to whether Chauvette/Charboneau/Maher etc. can be effective. If so, they may bring a dodging element that can make Grimes even more effetive - we'll see. Everyone will likely not be happy with the decision - nature of the beat - but I think PM and JR will make a good call.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:34 am It is certainly a valid opinion to think Grimes is better up top and on the wings where his outside shooting can make a difference. Also a valid opinion to say he should never leave the field. For me, it comes down to whether Chauvette/Charboneau/Maher etc. can be effective. If so, they may bring a dodging element that can make Grimes even more effetive - we'll see. Everyone will likely not be happy with the decision - nature of the beat - but I think PM and JR will make a good call.
I'm in the camp of keeping him on the field. The offensive patterns can provide plenty of opportunities to work from above the goal line, but I'd want my very best offensive talents on the field with as many touches as possible.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Not a lot of talk about Jonathan Peshko. I am interested in what the Hopkins faithful think of this kid. He looked amazing at the end of last season when he earned more playing time. Kid has a cannon, is deadly accurate and gets rid of the ball in a flash, like most Canadian players.

I think he could easily be a 20-25 goal scorer on that first middie line. Reminds me of Tre Leclaire.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Henpecked wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:29 am Not a lot of talk about Jonathan Peshko. I am interested in what the Hopkins faithful think of this kid. He looked amazing at the end of last season when he earned more playing time. Kid has a cannon and gets rid of the ball in a flash, like most Canadian players.

I think he could easily be a 20-25 goal scorer on that first middie line.
Terrific player with All-American potential. You don't often see freshman middies take over games the way he did vs. Rutgers in the B1G semi-final. 20-25 goals is his floor if he stays healthy.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”