Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
44WeWantMore

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Jen sends us this 2021 Hopkins Athletics Thank You Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOd6OPcOqwk

Ernie notes that JHU Tops Fall Directors' Cup Standings for Fourth Consecutive Year.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Really looking forward to the season. A happy and healthy 2022 to all of you, your families and friends and to a successful season for our beloved Jays!
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

44WeWantMore wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:42 pm Jen sends us this 2021 Hopkins Athletics Thank You Video:

Ernie notes that JHU Tops Fall Directors' Cup Standings for Fourth Consecutive Year.
I want to see her celebrate a National Championship in 2022.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:13 pm
jhu06 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:13 pm -The players and their families, particularly the Kyle Harrison group love the aforementioned superfan on social media. In what have been some really down years to say the least, he's pumped a consistent amount of positive energy there and they seem to appreciate it.
-Hopkins is the only school I've seen-I don't follow other d3 schools, to cancel sports unrelated to positive tests w/in the program. They need to lose the Karen mindset at Homewood. It's a curious decision to say the least. A few of you are going to be really triggered by that, but this is year 3 now of this and for a school that gets $3.1 billion in research funding every year and has bragged for the entirety of this pandemic about its leadership on the matter not being able to play a basketball game when the team is healthy is utterly ridiculous.
-NIL is an area Hopkins should be exploiting when we start winning again. There are some alumni like Rabil and Harrison who are extremely sophisticated at these kinds of things and with incredible connections locally and in the sports marketing area.
I’m sure Johns Hopkins is being advised by some of the leading public health experts in the world. It would be foolish to question their judgment, since they are focused on keeping students and staff as safe as possible.

DocBarrister :?
Doc you are right about having access to national and international experts, but none of that is necessary if your goal is to keep "students and staff as safe as possible." Bcos if that is your goal, the obvious response is to close down and stay home. Any activity outside the home increases risk, and therefore does not align with keeping folks 'as safe as possible'.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Hoponboard wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:01 pm The #1 fan is actually quite amiable and low key—at least to me—before and after the scrimmages and games. He certainly makes the time and investment to attend road matches. I saw him on the sidelines in Albany attending fall ball a few years back. He was enthusiastic, but well behaved. I respect that.

The problem starts when the cameras are rolling and announcers like Carc single him out. I guess some people hunger for publicity to make their lives meaningful. But his over the top fandom does detract from the enjoyment of the game for those seated around him.

That being said, I enjoy the comments of the passionate Jays fans around me and often leave them in the highlights when I do my editing.

It’s not like some away venues—that I won’t mention—where the fans rarely talk about the game at hand.
I agree with 90+% of this HOB. He is extremely likeable and engaging at tailgates and before/after games. No question. He also appears to be able to recognize a scrimmage as the act is generally absent. The part I may diverge on is the act is present whether cameras are rolling and commentators are identifying or not. I can clearly remember the game I became painfully aware of #1. It was the season opener against Navy in 2016 in Naptowm. It was gravedigger's butt cold - at night - and I was there with a good friend that played at Navy and was still in service with a higher rank at the time. OMG - was the behavior embarrassing and abominable. There were no cameras on him that night. Hopkins jumped out to an early lead - something like 2-0 or 3-0 and at one point my buddy turned to me and said "Doesn't he know Hopkins is winning?" Then, as Navy continually came back or took the lead it got so bad we had to move. At another point my friend said he couldn't identify his kid on the field and I said I wasn't sure he had one and then my buddy summed it up - "Well then he's just an A$$hat" After Shack scored in OT - my friend's comment - also perfectly timed "I'm sure that guy's life has significantly changed".
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:48 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:42 pm Jen sends us this 2021 Hopkins Athletics Thank You Video:

She may well celebrate a championship, but it is more likely to be in a D-III sport.

Realistically, if the Jays are seeded 2 in the B1G and play well in the final against UMD, are invited to the NCAAs, and play competitively in the second round, I will be happy with this trajectory.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

What was the issue between the post Petremala staff and Evan Zinn? Didn't he start a lot of games and contribute under the old staff? Clearly, Lars felt he was under utilized or wouldn't have taken him on with what he has on his roster........
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

blue angels wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:34 am What was the issue between the post Petremala staff and Evan Zinn? Didn't he start a lot of games and contribute under the old staff? Clearly, Lars felt he was under utilized or wouldn't have taken him on with what he has on his roster........
Petro was playing him as an O Mid, Milliman moved him to d mid because the production wasn’t there at o mid. He’s super fast and a great athlete and also can’t shoot at all which is probably a better fit for shortie than o mid.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

blue angels wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:34 am What was the issue between the post Petremala staff and Evan Zinn? Didn't he start a lot of games and contribute under the old staff? Clearly, Lars felt he was under utilized or wouldn't have taken him on with what he has on his roster........
The new staff started him at offensive midfield in the early part of the 2021 season, but he didn't play well, so they transitioned him to SSDM. That's pretty much an inevitable move with a career 10-15% shooting percentage and I know there were some here who wanted it to happen sooner. In addition to shooting he has historically struggled to deal with ball pressure. For what it's worth, Petro never really unleashed him either for those reasons and he seemingly benched him/dialed back PT a couples times too. So it wasn't really just the new staff. As for the transfer I can't say exactly what happened but given he still has two years of eligibility left I think a fresh start was probably the best for everybody. I wish him the best. For my money he is probably the fastest straight-line player in the country and there remains untapped potential there. Ironically the best game of his career came against UVA at Homewood in 2019. I'd say there is very little chance he cracks your O-mid rotation but the tools are there to be a successful transition middie. He had some nice moments for us at SSDM last year. When he's got a full head of steam going, he makes the guys near him look like they're moving in slow motion.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Zinn was tantalizing with his athletic gifts but the results were not there but to be honest the 2019/20 editions of Hopkins were not very good and I think the circumstances of 21 hurt him as much as anyone and certainly no one can claim a 4-9 team was very good even with the end of season improvement. Here are the career stats:
35 games - he played in every one
12 goals - 6 in 2020 (1 gpg ironically)
8 assists
14% shooting percentage 12/83
32 ground balls
20 turnovers

His shooting percentage declined every year - granted he only took 13 shots last season - his GB/TO ratio got worse - freshmen year it was 20/5 - last year 12/11

I agree with '16 - fresh start is definitely better for the player - with virtually every midfielder back from the two Hopkins lines that did show some promise at the end - especially if Grimes stays at M - then playing time except for SSDM was going to be in short supply. He certainly didn't pick an easy road to PT with UVA but hopefully it's the school's curriculum that's the selling point.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:56 am Zinn was tantalizing with his athletic gifts but the results were not there but to be honest the 2019/20 editions of Hopkins were not very good and I think the circumstances of 21 hurt him as much as anyone and certainly no one can claim a 4-9 team was very good even with the end of season improvement. Here are the career stats:
8 assists
32 ground balls
20 turnovers

His shooting percentage declined every year - granted he only took 13 shots last season - his GB/TO ratio got worse - freshmen year it was 20/5 - last year 12/11

I agree with '16 - fresh start is definitely better for the player - with virtually every midfielder back from the two Hopkins lines that did show some promise at the end - especially if Grimes stays at M - then playing time except for SSDM was going to be in short supply. He certainly didn't pick an easy road to PT with UVA but hopefully it's the school's curriculum that's the selling point.
Virginia needed to add depth to the short stick defensive unit and help on face off wings and transition which sounds like areas of strength for him. They have some excellent players there but not enough depth so there is an opportunity for him. I don't think offensive midfield is on the table at this time. Agree on the fresh start. No one at Virginia is expecting much so a low pressure opportunity to surprise. Virginia has historically been a fast paced team that will try to out athlete opponents, more so than slower paced HOP but not sure if that has changed some with your new staff.
Last edited by blue angels on Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Essentially traded Zinn for Maher, might work out for both teams as the Jays could probably use another left-handed dodger with Williams gone. Grimes and Degnon are primarily catch-and-shoot guys but Maher's high school tape shows a kid who can carry and beat his man. Remains to be seen whether or not he plays midfield or attack. Unfortunately he missed most of the fall with a foot injury — should be fine for the spring — but those were reps he could have been using to make his case for PT. Still should have a few weeks in preseason to impress.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:09 pm Essentially traded Zinn for Maher, might work out for both teams as the Jays could probably use another left-handed dodger with Williams gone. Grimes and Degnon are primarily catch-and-shoot guys but Maher's high school tape shows a kid who can carry and beat his man. Remains to be seen whether or not he plays midfield or attack. Unfortunately he missed most of the fall with a foot injury — should be fine for the spring — but those were reps he could have been using to make his case for PT. Still should have a few weeks in preseason to impress.
Good high school player. He Never played at Virginia so no idea.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:57 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:48 pm

She may well celebrate a championship, but it is more likely to be in a D-III sport.

Realistically, if the Jays are seeded 2 in the B1G and play well in the final against UMD, are invited to the NCAAs, and play competitively in the second round, I will be happy with this trajectory.
website says womens basketball returns to play wednesday so I'm assuming that means no disruption to preparations for our spring campaign.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:56 am Zinn was tantalizing with his athletic gifts but the results were not there but to be honest the 2019/20 editions of Hopkins were not very good and I think the circumstances of 21 hurt him as much as anyone and certainly no one can claim a 4-9 team was very good even with the end of season improvement. Here are the career stats:
8 assists
32 ground balls
20 turnovers

Zinn will play much better at Virginia. I was worried about the fit at Hopkins from the very beginning. He can finally relax and play to his strengths at Virginia. It’s a gift to Lars.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:28 pm
8 assists
32 ground balls
20 turnovers

Zinn will play much better at Virginia. I was worried about the fit at Hopkins from the very beginning. He can finally relax and play to his strengths at Virginia. It’s a gift to Lars.
he was a star in the classroom and got infinity chances at Hopkins long after it was clear his production was not worthy of the playing time he received. Environment and pressure were not the issue.
Typical Lax Dad

jhu06 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:02 pm
8 assists
32 ground balls
20 turnovers

he was a star in the classroom and got infinity chances at Hopkins long after it was clear his production was not worthy of the playing time he received. Environment and pressure were not the issue.
He had plenty of chances. I didn’t think it was a good fit. Time will tell. Nice kid.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

8 assists
32 ground balls
20 turnovers

The ironic thing is that Milliman put him in the best position to succeed at SSDM. He does not have a D1 offensive skillset, but could have thrived in that role this year. Hopefully he's happy with the situation (academics, social, lax, etc), but I don't see him having a better on-field opportunity there.
Typical Lax Dad

primitiveskills wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:27 pm
8 assists
32 ground balls
20 turnovers

The ironic thing is that Milliman put him in the best position to succeed at SSDM. He does not have a D1 offensive skillset, but could have thrived in that role this year. Hopefully he's happy with the situation (academics, social, lax, etc), but I don't see him having a better on-field opportunity there.
You might be right. Missing the fall probably doesn’t help.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:27 pm
8 assists
32 ground balls
20 turnovers

Not that many Hop fans care, but Virginia has 3 experienced guys returning to play short stick and on the face off wing in Sallade, Parker and Peele. You need at least 4 or 5 to play the position, especially over a season. it will be Zinn, a 1st year or some unknown. It's a good opportunity for him where his own offense is secondary if he is effective in getting the ball to others in transition..

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”