Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:11 am This isn't the political thread and I don't want to go there, but there was not enough open mindedness here and it's fair to wonder if Petro, Margraff (RIP), schnydman and more of the veteran coaches and administrators who've departed school in recent years were around would they have been able to have more pull in trying to get athletics to have a normal year.
Yeah, I highly doubt it.
51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:12 am Usually I find myself agreeing with alot of what you have to say '16 but I'll disagree on this one point - I wouldn't even put that post in the Top 25 of "06's outlandish ramblings :lol:

In terms of 2022 - does anyone have anything to say about this recruiting class other than the 5* Todaro?
Highlight tapes are not a good judge of anything really but I would be lying to say I never looked at them - some physical observations:
- Reen/Hicks/Teachout have size for a midfielder - of that there would seem to be little question - speed is harder to judge given competition but alot of comments say they are fast
- Kaufman is one of those that get all those comments about "high ceilings and tremendous upside" all you can say for sure is that he is one long rangy kid
- Callahan received a very high grade from IL evaluation but there was a comment that this was before the rule changes on face-offs (I an inferring he was using motorcycle/knee down etc.)
- Phillips is from BC - has played extensive box - stick skills seem to be evident - It would be nice if he were great friends with the kid from Trinity Pawling that shoots 102
- The two former Cornell commits at attack - seems reasonable to me to see why they were recruited - Wong has a quick release

Question on the Florida defensman Whitaker - he's listed on the 2021 list but it also says he was reclassified to a 22 on his Il page - PGing?
Whitaker is a '21, but I known absolutely nothing about him.

- Reen looks like a large human. Tape shows a pretty physical downhill dodger with potential to play both ways. Teachout, who just won a Texas state championship with Dallas Jesuit, has a similar profile.

- Sgt. Friday is apparently having a heck of a season for LB this spring against high-end competition. He might have something to say about penciling in Marcille as the starter

- Bowler seems like the kind of LSM Rutgers usually recruits and I mean that as a compliment. Athletic, likes carrying the ball and not afraid to push transition. I have zero idea about his on-ball defensive ability but he is getting coached by Ric Beardsley

- Phillips is not as praised as the Kellogg kid for Trinity Pawling but then again Garrett Degnon was not even the best middie named Garrett in his class at DeMatha and look how that's turned out. You never know
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Senior Class

Fernandez - appears definitely back

The rest in my order of armchair GM preference - this of course cannot take into account any player situations (i.e. jobs) or desires:
Reinson - Clear Cut #1 IMO - AA candidate
Delaney - Out of need - with a year of practice under his belt - could be a pretty decent LSM
DeSimone - had a very good year back at his true position - didn't like the stat line of the most important game - you have to press the issue at least once
Lyne - Everything being equal - you would like him back for sure - does it have any unwanted future domino effect on your reputed young studs - especially if you get Reinson back?
Keogh - oft injured - one of 06's favorite whipping boys but Hopkins is better when he is healthy - his experience would help
Baskin - certainly got off the bus at the BIG tournament
Shure - as somebody pointed out - Hopkins has alot of SSDM candidates now and I want the roster to shrink as soon as possible but if he doesn't really "cost" you anything - I would likely do it

The other 7 - the ruthless Ernst Blofeld - would send away - I am surprised Kirson and Prouty are on this part of the list
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Here is what i was referring to - from Whitaker's IL page
Sept 1 '20 was the same date they recorded his commitment to Hopkins

Sam Whitaker was reclassified

09/01/2020
2021 - 2022

I know I would make a thousand mistakes trying to keep track of all these kids - so not critical of IL here if its a mistake
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:55 am Here is what i was referring to - from Whitaker's IL page
Sept 1 '20 was the same date they recorded his commitment to Hopkins

Sam Whitaker was reclassified

09/01/2020
2021 - 2022

I know I would make a thousand mistakes trying to keep track of all these kids - so not critical of IL here if its a mistake
Whitaker signed his LOI along with the other '21s according to a tweet Hopkins sent out several months ago. That's all I know about it.

Agree with most of your list re: senior returnees. Might put DeSo #2—the B1G Championship double bagel performance notwithstanding he took a huge step this year and I think it's not out of the realm of possibility he takes another one next year. Would prefer to have to fill only 1 vacancy on attack as opposed to 2.

I have zero clue about Lyne's plans but, in theory, he should have multiple years of eligibility left—as many as three more(?) given all the seasons missed to injury. He has only played in one full season and that was this most recent one. We could have our very own Charalambides. Was really starting to play well toward the end of the season—I'd like to have him back and then have Smith/Todaro push McManus/Szuluk for the third close D spot and/or some time at LSM. Either way, I think, pole is a position of strength moving forward.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:51 am Senior Class

Fernandez - appears definitely back

The rest in my order of armchair GM preference - this of course cannot take into account any player situations (i.e. jobs) or desires:
Reinson - Clear Cut #1 IMO - AA candidate
Delaney - Out of need - with a year of practice under his belt - could be a pretty decent LSM
DeSimone - had a very good year back at his true position - didn't like the stat line of the most important game - you have to press the issue at least once
Lyne - Everything being equal - you would like him back for sure - does it have any unwanted future domino effect on your reputed young studs - especially if you get Reinson back?
Keogh - oft injured - one of 06's favorite whipping boys but Hopkins is better when he is healthy - his experience would help
Baskin - certainly got off the bus at the BIG tournament
Shure - as somebody pointed out - Hopkins has alot of SSDM candidates now and I want the roster to shrink as soon as possible but if he doesn't really "cost" you anything - I would likely do it

The other 7 - the ruthless Ernst Blofeld - would send away - I am surprised Kirson and Prouty are on this part of the list
All comes down to "life vs lacrosse" decisions for these guys. That aside, the two guys who defintely benefitted most from the coaching coaching change and being played in their natural positions were Desimone and Reinson. You would think that those two might want a chance at playing a full, normal season and come back. We'll see.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:07 pm All comes down to "life vs lacrosse" decisions for these guys. That aside, the two guys who defintely benefitted most from the coaching coaching change and being played in their natural positions were Desimone and Reinson. You would think that those two might want a chance at playing a full, normal season and come back. We'll see.
Absolutely - no question. The list was my silly attempt at the hypothetical situation where they all wanted to come back. Who would you prioritize? I think you have more depth/options at attack than at LSM. That's why I put Delaney 2 but no argument with the other way around.

Yes theoretically - Lyne has 2 more years of eligibility
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

F
Would Delaney go back to bball? I know that he picked bball over lax even though he was recruited as a DI lax player. I know of several sources that said in past years that Hopkins best LSM was playing on Hopkins basketball team. I am assuming he still has a year left in bball.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:10 pm

F
Would Delaney go back to bball? I know that he picked bball over lax even though he was recruited as a DI lax player. I know of several sources that said in past years that Hopkins best LSM was playing on Hopkins basketball team. I am assuming he still has a year left in bball.
He can play both sports next year if he wants to. According to this Sun article, he's enrolling in the JHU business school for a 1-year master's program. Plans to play basketball next year and is a maybe on lacrosse, as of March.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html

The kid is clearly a superb athlete and probably doesn't need a traditional "offseason" but I wonder how playing basketball in the winter and then turning around and playing lacrosse in the spring would work. Unlike playing football in the fall and then lax in the spring, there's no break. Though maybe this would allow him to participate in at least some of fall ball? I'm not too familiar with the bball team's offseason commitments.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:17 pm

F
He can play both sports next year if he wants to. According to this Sun article, he's enrolling in the JHU business school for a 1-year master's program. Plans to play basketball next year and is a maybe on lacrosse, as of March.

The kid is clearly a superb athlete and probably doesn't need a traditional "offseason" but I wonder how playing basketball in the winter and then turning around and playing lacrosse in the spring would work. Unlike playing football in the fall and then lax in the spring, there's no break. Though maybe this would allow him to participate in at least some of fall ball? I'm not too familiar with the bball team's offseason commitments.
Is that a change from the past. I know in the past with guys like Dylan Schlott and Abel Kahn that they couldn't play D3 football under Margraff and then play DI lacrosse. There was some type of institutional issue within the NCAA not allowing athletes play DI and DIII sports. It could have easily been a Seaman/Haus rule at the time.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:00 pm

F

Is that a change from the past. I know in the past with guys like Dylan Schlott and Abel Kahn that they couldn't play D3 football under Margraff and then play DI lacrosse. There was some type of institutional issue within the NCAA not allowing athletes play DI and DIII sports. It could have easily been a Seaman/Haus rule at the time.
Pretty sure that has changed because there was a kid on one of Petro's teams who (briefly) played football also.

I heard Scott Smith may be playing football in the fall as well. Not positive.
primitiveskills

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:48 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:07 pm All comes down to "life vs lacrosse" decisions for these guys. That aside, the two guys who defintely benefitted most from the coaching coaching change and being played in their natural positions were Desimone and Reinson. You would think that those two might want a chance at playing a full, normal season and come back. We'll see.
Absolutely - no question. The list was my silly attempt at the hypothetical situation where they all wanted to come back. Who would you prioritize? I think you have more depth/options at attack than at LSM. That's why I put Delaney 2 but no argument with the other way around.

Yes theoretically - Lyne has 2 more years of eligibility
Definitely. And agree with your list. I think Deso, Reinson, and Delaney would be the most impactful if they came back.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

F

-I think you're referring to austin walker whose father starred in the NFL. This issue seems to come up every few years and 51 or someone who understands compliance or these kinds of things walks through whats allowed and whats not allowed because there's a lot of misunderstanding.
-reinson and delaney both ended up w/39 gbs which is a tinney/pellegrino pace and did it playing what are supposed to be the stronger schools in the land-the b1g every week. Reinsons 14 gbs and 6 cts were a pretty nice haul for the b1g tournament on short rest and against 2 programs headed to ncaas.
-As the roster churns there will be some about rankings-the school notably includes them in player bios. Worth noting the scorers saturday were ranked 1, 4,14,66, NR, NR, NR by IL as srs. Marcille was 4th goalie in his class, reinson was something like 28th in the nation. delaney was a hooper. Lyne was 78. Martin was 71.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:22 pm

F

-I think you're referring to austin walker whose father starred in the NFL. This issue seems to come up every few years and 51 or someone who understands compliance or these kinds of things walks through whats allowed and whats not allowed because there's a lot of misunderstanding.
-reinson and delaney both ended up w/39 gbs which is a tinney/pellegrino pace and did it playing what are supposed to be the stronger schools in the land-the b1g every week. Reinsons 14 gbs and 6 cts were a pretty nice haul for the b1g tournament on short rest and against 2 programs headed to ncaas.
-As the roster churns there will be some about rankings-the school notably includes them in player bios. Worth noting the scorers saturday were ranked 1, 4,14,66, NR, NR, NR by IL as srs. Marcille was 4th goalie in his class, reinson was something like 28th in the nation. delaney was a hooper. Lyne was 78. Martin was 71.
No, I was referring to TJ Reeves. Played football at Hopkins and then joined the lax team for a cup of tea in 2013—think he may have played in one or two games and then left. So I guess there have been multiple. Just checked Scott Smith's Instagram, it says "Johns Hopkins lacrosse & football" in the bio. Looks like Milliman is losing him to the Wawa boys for the fall. Hopefully those jabronis are done throwing underground superspreader parties that cost the lax team valuable practice time.

We're ranked #16 in this week's coaches poll despite being 4-9. Might be the first time that's ever happened. But based on recent play it's well deserved.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Thanks for the confidence '06 but in this case it is misplaced. I have no definitive answer on this two sport question. Logically it would seem that the issue at the 5 schools that are primarily DIII but offer scholarships in one DI sport would be that since you are not allowed to offer scholarships at the DIII level than a DI athlete receiving athletic scholarship aid at one of those 5 schools is potentially violating the spirit of DIII competition. e.g. you can't be building the Hopkins cross country juggernaut in part by stashing a few of them on the women's lax team and giving them scholarship money. It would appear logical in Delaney's case - so far - that since he didn't know he was going to be on the team when school started (correct?) he likely didn't receive any money for playing lax. If he doesn't receive any aid for the DI sport, I don't see how anybody can cook up a problem with it. That sounds like a simiar situation with TJ Reeves - if he played football then showed up for a couple games and then went adios - doesn't sound like a scholarship situation to me. Now Scott Smith - being a big time recruit - would seem to be potentially a different story - maybe you have to get a waiver. If Milliman and Special K think Smith has potential and they are allocating dollars to him - well - I'm not sure how I would feel about it - on the one hand you want the young man to pursue his passions - on the other if you're paying part of the freight - the violence of football would be more than concerning.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:34 pm

No, I was referring to TJ Reeves. Played football at Hopkins and then joined the lax team for a cup of tea in 2013—think he may have played in one or two games and then left. So I guess there have been multiple. Just checked Scott Smith's Instagram, it says "Johns Hopkins lacrosse & football" in the bio. Looks like Milliman is losing him to the Wawa boys for the fall. Hopefully those jabronis are done throwing underground superspreader parties that cost the lax team valuable practice time.

We're ranked #16 in this week's coaches poll despite being 4-9. Might be the first time that's ever happened. But based on recent play it's well deserved.
I don't think the issue is moving from a D3 sport to a D1 sport. The issue is going back down to the D3 sport after playing in DI. And it might have something to allocations of funds and financial aid within the school year. I just remember anyone that made the move up from the football team to the lax team never went back. Now, there could be a ton of other reasons for it from NCAA rules to just enjoying lax more to whatever.
HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:34 pm
Looks like Milliman is losing him to the Wawa boys for the fall.
As far as I saw I think WAWA, as a fraternity was disbanded as a going concern at Hopkins. I have no idea if they decided to form a new fraternity but WAWA as Alpha Delta Phi isn't allowed on campus any longer (at least it wasn't from a couple of years ago).

Yup. and here it is.
https://studentaffairs.jhu.edu/fsl/chap ... nizations/

Doesn't look like anything has replaced it.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:06 am As far as I saw I think WAWA, as a fraternity was disbanded as a going concern at Hopkins. I have no idea if they decided to form a new fraternity but WAWA as Alpha Delta Phi isn't allowed on campus any longer (at least it wasn't from a couple of years ago).

Yup. and here it is.

They're not formally recognized, but they still have a house on North Charles and throw parties:

https://www.jhunewsletter.com/article/2 ... 19-cluster

More Scanlan stuff emerging. Glad he didn't end up here. From what I understand, Petro wanted him, he visited Homewood and Hopkins may have been his second choice of transfer.

http://dailyorange.com/2021/05/police-r ... er-issues/
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:18 am
steel_hop wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:06 am As far as I saw I think WAWA, as a fraternity was disbanded as a going concern at Hopkins. I have no idea if they decided to form a new fraternity but WAWA as Alpha Delta Phi isn't allowed on campus any longer (at least it wasn't from a couple of years ago).

Yup. and here it is.

They're not formally recognized, but they still have a house on North Charles and throw parties:

More Scanlan stuff emerging. Glad he didn't end up here. From what I understand, Petro, like just about everybody else, wanted him, but JHU was on his short list as he visited Homewood and Hopkins may have been his second choice of transfer.

My edit in bold.
And the just about everybody else included a couple of posters here.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-The smith stuff is too murky for me to understand beyond the fact that reinson/lyne returning is first question for next fall at his position followed by who can push szulak and mcmanus especially and smith figures to be a big part of that conversation.
-PM did an IL pod when he took over and ticked off a list of about a dozen athletics department/homewood offices ranging from training to academics to compliance they met with to get a complete understanding of the roster, recruits, and homewood standards. Sounds from the outside whatever cuse did or did not do to understand who scanlan was and to get him help failed. I didn't listen to the interviews the selection committee did but if we had beaten maryland and cuse had missed the tournament in the wake of this scanlan stuff you wonder what kind of dominoes might have fallen up there.
-Daniels sounded really irate about wawa but they had a big football group and football has a lot of alumni w/juice like Palmisano the old IBM ceo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PPQCx5obCE
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Yup. and here it is.

More Scanlan stuff emerging. Glad he didn't end up here. From what I understand, Petro wanted him, he visited Homewood and Hopkins may have been his second choice of transfer.

Holy Crap. If half of that stuff is true on Scanlan, he is a piece of work. You certainly can get Yeardley Love vibs from the story.

As someone with a teenage daughter, I hope I give her enough self-confidence and believe in herself to not want to hang out with someone much less date or whatever college kids call today, as the article quotes from the victim's mother "put his hands on her." Because if she didn't end the relationship, I certainly would in a nonviolent way. This isn't meant as a blame the victim type post because I don't want it to come out that way because these things are never easy. This is more of I need to ensure my daughter knows this isn't right.

And while it isn't in this article, there are quotes from Scanlan's father out there where he said this was all a misunderstanding. Nope. Your son is a DB.
primitiveskills

44WeWantMore wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:41 am

Yup. and here it is.

More Scanlan stuff emerging. Glad he didn't end up here. From what I understand, Petro, like just about everybody else, wanted him, but JHU was on his short list as he visited Homewood and Hopkins may have been his second choice of transfer.

My edit in bold.
And the just about everybody else included a couple of posters here.
Sure, but do you think that any message board posters had any real insight into Scanlan's character? I'm going to say that the number of posters who knew this guy well enough to have been able to predict his capability of committing this horrific act was exactly zero.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”